Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because they want to take all enjoyment out of life for everyone.
View Quote

Is life enjoyment really about slurping down soda's?  I think you need to raise your expectations.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They're not bad for you just people we care about....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Recently switched to diet mt dew from mt dew. Looking at the nutrition fact, it's literally all zeros except a tiny amount of sodium. Looks pretty healthy

They're not bad for you just people we care about....

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Do you know how long aspartame has been around? Lets just say long enough for many epidemiological studies as well as medical studies to how it effects us. Guess what..The general medical consensus (you know the people who actually know their stuff and can actually prove what they say) have said the there is no harm in "artificial shit". Did you now that every thing you eat could be called "artificial"? Organisms produce organic chemicals very much like and in similar ways as chemical manufacturers!. I swear that most of the World is conditioned by ignorance to hear the words "artificial" and "chemical" and automatically think its somehow bad for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diet soda is crap.  The cumulative effect of putting artificial shit in your body will take its toll.  Just because medical studies haven't nailed it down yet doesn't mean it's good to go.  The consensus among doctors and nutritionists is that any soda, if consumed regularly, is bad for your health.

I look at soda as a treat.  I may have it once in a great while.  When I do, I prefer sodas sweetened with cane sugar simply because they taste so much better.  I think the problem is people treating them like a staple in their diet.  They have a diet soda with every meal and in between meals.  My wife is one of those.  She blows through a 12 pack of Diet Coke a day.  She stopped drinking it for a couple months and lost weight and her chronic headaches subsided.  It all resumed when she started the soda habit again.  

Put shit in your body, expect shit results.  Soda is not healthy.  Water is healthy.

Do you know how long aspartame has been around? Lets just say long enough for many epidemiological studies as well as medical studies to how it effects us. Guess what..The general medical consensus (you know the people who actually know their stuff and can actually prove what they say) have said the there is no harm in "artificial shit". Did you now that every thing you eat could be called "artificial"? Organisms produce organic chemicals very much like and in similar ways as chemical manufacturers!. I swear that most of the World is conditioned by ignorance to hear the words "artificial" and "chemical" and automatically think its somehow bad for you.

Diet soda is still shit.  Water is better.  

Now, please explain to us the health benefits of diet soda.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Recently switched to diet mt dew from mt dew. Looking at the nutrition fact, it's literally all zeros except a tiny amount of sodium. Looks pretty healthy
View Quote

I used to drink a lot of soda. Then, I switched to diet soda considering the amount of sugar and calories I was drinking. I found myself drinking as much diet soda as I was drinking regular soda, but I wasn't really losing weight.
Some people say the artificial sweeteners make your body process the calories you eat differently or something like that, but you end up not losing weight. That's what I found so I forced myself to stop drinking diet soda. Now I just take in soda moderately. Mainly try to drink more water.

By the way, I was drinking around 48 to 60 ounces of soda a day.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#5]
The better question is why and the fuck you would want to drink that crap.  Tastes like shit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm just going to stick with drinking water, milk, or beer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Oddly enough, he may be right.

The body treats artificial sweeteners like real sugar.  It thinks it is real, so you can get insulin spikes and end up craving/eating carbs.

I say that as a diet soda addict.  I've been trying to switch fulltime to sodas with no sweeteners.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Diet mtn dew.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, but it's a marker.

People who tend to drink a lot of soda, also tend to be overweight, or have health issues.

Not everyone, but I bet if you did a graph the correlation would be high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so everyone in here is saying if you took these Mr. Olympia guys and started giving them 3-4 diest sodas a day within a few months they would be fat slobs and probably diabetic?  

No, but it's a marker.

People who tend to drink a lot of soda, also tend to be overweight, or have health issues.

Not everyone, but I bet if you did a graph the correlation would be high.

Correlation =/= Causation

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

6-1 and 182, try again troll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should just stop being fat.

6-1 and 182, try again troll.

You can still be fat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
so everyone in here is saying if you took these Mr. Olympia guys and started giving them 3-4 diest sodas a day within a few months they would be fat slobs and probably diabetic?  

View Quote

Absolutely not, because these "Mr Olympia guys" are on massive amounts of androgenic/anabolic steroids, mixed with testosterone suspensions, mixed with growth hormone, mixed with timed doses of insulin, mixed with trenbolone/clenbuterol, etc.

Clenbuterol alone will prevent you from gaining fat, no matter what you do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#12]

What you fuckers know about soda?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You do realize that anybody can publish anything, right? That study is seriously flawed and disagrees with many legitimate research studies on the topic. But it's on the Internet, so it must be true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No there wasn't.

Umm...yes it was.  Sorry your Google is broke.  I don't have time to tell you where to go look for it.  The Time article linked above has some good points and links in it, though the "we have to do more research" usually translates into "more people have to die or the funding of our study has to change sources first".

Lol OK, continue living your life of scientific ignorance.

Lol. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature13793.html&ved=0ahUKEwjjurGQzfzPAhXJNj4KHbn0B00QFggxMAE&usg=AFQjCNHWQXlyWtxx-nrn79A-nJ-oe6gwjQ&sig2=_tlOBxyAxwWdfLFbzezTRQ

You do realize that anybody can publish anything, right? That study is seriously flawed and disagrees with many legitimate research studies on the topic. But it's on the Internet, so it must be true.

#Lol

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#14]
In summary, if you must drink a sweet beverage (or add sweetener to your coffee or tea) you are better off using a substitute for sugar than you are using sugar.  But if you want to be really sure, and you want to kick the habit of needing a sweet taste, you’re probably better off avoiding substitute sweeteners altogether.  If you want to be 100% safe, drink water.  Just don’t make it bottled water (though that’s a whole other story).  And don’t fly in airplanes or drive in cars, either. LINK
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh look, another rogueboss "I don't know how the world really works" thread...

All soda is terrible for you, and Mountain Dew is the worst.  Your organs hate you.
Among other things, look up brominated vegetable oil...
Water is what you need, and contains nothing you don't need.  Learn to like water.
I drink tea and water, once you're off of it a while, you'll have one and wonder how the heck you drank that nasty syrupy stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Because artificial sweeteners aren't natural and a lot of people are afflicted by a naturalness bias.

Nevermind that sugar has been absolutely proven to cause disastrous side effects - the news told me a new study said aspartame causes cancer!
View Quote

Meh, harm springs from excess. Virtually any food, in moderation, natural or not, is OK as part of regular and semi healthy diet.

Sugar, processed, cane or brown, isn't *good* for you but, it's OK in small quantities. Same with artificial sweeteners.

The biggest "problem" with Americans seems to be a distorted definition of "moderation" .... for those that even understand the concept.

Most people I know drink at least 2 sodas or sweetened drinks a day. I know several people who drink 72 ounces or more of soda a day. Diet or regular, that much soda just isn't great for your body. Whether it's the dyes, flavorings, sweeteners (natural or not) it's just sub-optimal.

I drink a few sodas a year. I probably drink a gallon of water and a quart of iced tea\coffee a day. I just figure that's GOTTA be better for you. Plus, it's cheaper. I'm cheap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Artificial sweeteners trick your body's natural dietary processes and actually causes diabetes. You're better off either consuming real sugar or simply not drinking soda in the first place.
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lightweight.  I had to quit caffeine entirely a few months ago.  I was going through a 12 pack, sometimes a 24 pack of Coke Zero a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I drink Coke Zero literally

ALL

FUCKING

DAY

I go to Costco and buy the 35 pack. It lasts me two weeks.

Lightweight.  I had to quit caffeine entirely a few months ago.  I was going through a 12 pack, sometimes a 24 pack of Coke Zero a day.

Holy Shit!

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Holy Shit!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I drink Coke Zero literally

ALL

FUCKING

DAY

I go to Costco and buy the 35 pack. It lasts me two weeks.

Holy Shit!

That's not caffeine.  Soda has so little caffeine, its disgusting.

Coffee or Monsters or GTFO
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All soda is terrible for you, and Mountain Dew is the worst.  Your organs hate you.
Water is what you need, and contains nothing you don't need.  Learn to like water.
I drink tea and water, once you're off of it a while, you'll have one and wonder how the heck you drank that nasty syrupy stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true, too. I grew up drinking Coke. It was *always* available in the house and I seldom drank much else after moving back to the states. I think it may have been partially rebellion after spending so much time being forced to drink TONS of water in the KSA as a kid.

When I moved out of my parents house, I stopped buying soda. Partially due to funds and partially because it just no longer occurred to me.

As time passed I stopped drinking soda almost entirely. Not as a conscious choice but, more due to circumstances and lack of availability.

Now, as an adult, I drink a handful of sodas a year. Every time I do, I grimace and the cloying sugary sweetness and syrupy mouth feel. I find myself wondering how in the fuck I ever drank it as my main source of fluids, even as a kid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Artificial sweeteners trick your body's natural dietary processes and actually causes diabetes. You're better off either consuming real sugar or simply not drinking soda in the first place.
View Quote

This. And it causes a certain type of gut bacteria to grow out of control. During an Israeli study, they replicated this in skinny healthy people and they gained weight!

Study

Human one
http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/21908/israeli-study-shows-artificial-sweeteners-good/#KotYiHFmbjEvEGBV.97
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't really get down with artificial sweeteners, but I don't see how it could possibly be worse for you than regular soda pop.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't really get down with artificial sweeteners, but I don't see how it could possibly be worse for you than regular soda pop.
View Quote

See my post above yours.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Chemicals.

I don't give a fuck, calories are for eating and not drinking. Swill that Diet shit to scratch your itch and get those gains m8.  I'm a sucker for the zero cal Rockstars and Monsters, those are like crack for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Except they don't.

Mayo Clinic

Sugar substitutes don't affect your blood sugar level. In fact, most artificial sweeteners are considered "free foods" — foods containing less than 20 calories and 5 grams or less of carbohydrates — because they don't count as calories or carbohydrates on a diabetes exchange.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Saccharin?

Aspartame?

Sucralose?

Maltitol?

Xylitol?

Sorbitol?

Erythritol?

Sodium Cyclamate?

Stevia?

I think you might be painting with a broad brush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Saccharin?

Aspartame?

Sucralose?

Maltitol?

Xylitol?

Sorbitol?

Erythritol?

Sodium Cyclamate?

Stevia?

Everytime I've chewed gun that had Xylitol, I got a bad headache.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#27]

pop > soda, just like pog > pogue.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

See my post above yours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my post above yours.

I'll believe that. I also believe in moderation. I like real soda pop, like on a holiday or special occasion. I  also like to smoke when I drink booze. I like a fat double cheeseburger. Bacon. Butter.

But I don't eat that shit all the time. I watch my diet and work out every day and I'm in pretty great shape actually. You can have fun in life as long as you don't over-do anything, is the philosophy I like to follow.

Soda is totally one of those tasty garbage things you just should not consume regularly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saccharin?
Aspartame?
Sucralose?
Maltitol?
Xylitol?
Sorbitol?
Erythritol?
Sodium Cyclamate?
Stevia?

Well, shit. Who can argue with that level of peer reviewed science?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#30]
For me, the aspartame literally gives me a sore throat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saccharin?

Aspartame?

Sucralose?

Maltitol?

Xylitol?

Sorbitol?

Erythritol?

Sodium Cyclamate?

Stevia?

I was just making a comment on what Xylitol does to me, so lighten the fuck up Francis.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll believe that. I also believe in moderation. I like real soda pop, like on a holiday or special occasion. I  also like to smoke when I drink booze. I like a fat double cheeseburger. Bacon. Butter.

But I don't eat that shit all the time. I watch my diet and work out every day and I'm in pretty great shape actually. You can have fun in life as long as you don't over-do anything, is the philosophy I like to follow.

Soda is totally one of those tasty garbage things you just should not consume regularly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my post above yours.

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was just making a comment on what Xylitol does to me, so lighten the fuck up Francis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saccharin?
Aspartame?
Sucralose?
Maltitol?
Xylitol?
Sorbitol?
Erythritol?
Sodium Cyclamate?
Stevia?

No.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#34]
All the diet drinks have a weird "metallic" aftertaste to me.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my post above yours.

Exactly! BUT I would recommend taking probiotics if you are going to put these chemicals into your gut.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BCM556:

Care to provide a link to a medical study to back this up or are you just going to continue failing?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BCM556:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finally someone who knows wtf they are talking about

Care to provide a link to a medical study to back this up or are you just going to continue failing?

Eat crow

Some just can't understand science without having it explained, so don't don't be ashamed to ask for help if you need it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Except they don't.

Mayo Clinic

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except they don't.

Mayo Clinic

Sugar substitutes don't affect your blood sugar level. In fact, most artificial sweeteners are considered "free foods" — foods containing less than 20 calories and 5 grams or less of carbohydrates — because they don't count as calories or carbohydrates on a diabetes exchange.

Wait. You're relying on the medical opinion of a single doctor on which to base an opinion that has been refuted by peer review studies?

That's a bold strategy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wait. You're relying on the medical opinion of a single doctor on which to base an opinion that has been refuted by peer review studies?

That's a bold strategy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except they don't.

Mayo Clinic

That's a bold strategy.

I drink a metric fuckton of beverages with artificial sweeteners.  During regular blood tests and checkups, there has never been anything alarming.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I drink a metric fuckton of beverages with artificial sweeteners.  During regular blood tests and checkups, there has never been anything alarming.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except they don't.

Mayo Clinic

That's a bold strategy.

Well, who can argue with that level of peer reviewed science.

I guess we can all stop wondering. You and your blood tests have settled the issue.

Thanks.

ETA: You know, come to think of it .... I smoked cigarettes for 3 decades, drank like a fish for 2 and a half and used heroin habitually for years and I never died once. I guess we can stop worrying about all those activities and substances, too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I guess we can all stop wondering. You and your blood tests have settled the issue.

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks.

I'd like to see the other research that refutes that.  I'm open to being wrong.

Some random Livestrong article

However, larger studies do not support this finding. For example, a study published in September 1998 in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" involved administration of a large dose of aspartame -- the daily equivalent of about 20 cans of diet soda -- to 48 healthy people without diabetes for 20 days. The researchers found no effect on insulin levels. More recent research on this topic was published in the August 2010 issue of "Appetite." The researchers found the insulin levels of 14 study participants were significantly lower after eating a snack sweetened with aspartame than after a snack sweetened with sugar.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3046854

Twelve normal subjects and 10 subjects with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus were given, in random order at intervals of greater than or equal to 1 wk, three drinks of the same beverage: one unsweetened, one sweetened with 400 mg aspartame, and one sweetened with 135 mg saccharin. The amount of sweetener approximated that in 1 L of sugar-free soft drink. Plasma glucose, insulin, and glucagon were measured for 3 h after ingestion of the test beverage. Plasma glucose declined slightly throughout the test period, probably due to fasting, with no differences between the three treatments. Neither sweetener affected peak insulin levels in subjects with or without diabetes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

There's a study from 2014 posted on this page.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
LOL!!

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I read that the sweet taste kicks off an insulin dump, which will cause you to store calories... almost the same as sugar.

Eventually your body becomes tolerant and your insulin looses effectiveness.

Edit.  Spelling error was intentional.
View Quote
False.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I thought Artificial sweeteners do not cause your blood glucose to go up?????????
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

This has to be a troll thread.
View Quote
consider the OP

i feel dirty for even clicking on it

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I will start with the disclaimer that I work at a science based functional medical clinic. In short a sick person comes in and details what's wrong then highly detailed labs including DNA are drawn and an MD starts looking for the root cause of the problem and solutions. Pharmaceutical intervention may be the only solution and will be administered but usually they can start a plan with a change in diet and exercise with a with a 2 week then monthly followups labs are drawn and followed up appointments make adjustments.
The patient base is usually the very sick, the elderly that aren't happy with how there ageing, and athletes looking to up there game.
There is a 3 month wait to get in and it doesn't advertise word of mouth only.

With very few exceptions the patients numbers improve away from diet sodas sometimes dramatically.
Fat or skinny is not the rule some skinny people that work out are diabetic and they improve off sodas.
It's all proven in labs and on a rare occasion someone does not appear to be affected by them.

I am amazed buy how vehemently people defend them they act like alcoholics.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Look, just stop consuming really sweet stuff. Give up the sodas.

They're not just bad for you, but they train you to crave sweet things, which are universally terrible for you. Drink water.

Just try quitting for one month and you'll find you don't miss it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I thought Artificial sweeteners do not cause your blood glucose to go up?????????
View Quote

Everyone is different and you have to test yourself with a meter to know.

It did for me but I was a mess. I thought as long as I worked out hard enough to burn all the calories I took in i was good. There is a reason 40% of the chinese are pre diabetic and skinny.
It's more what you eat not how much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top