Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fat people drink diet pop. By the bucket full.

View Quote

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Might as well have the real thing. Sugar and caffeine give you energy!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Used to drink quite a bit of diet mt. Dew.

Cut it out completely after some research. It's really, really bad for you.

I urge you to drink water, and green tea.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some people don't react well to chemicals.  
View Quote

This just in, everything is made of chemicals.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
What about Steva as used in coffee?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Saccharose2.svg/200px-Saccharose2.svg.png

FUCK!

OHIO IS MADE OF CHEMICALS!!!

I FUCKING KNEW IT!

I KNEW IT THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Diet soda is crap.  The cumulative effect of putting artificial shit in your body will take its toll.  Just because medical studies haven't nailed it down yet doesn't mean it's good to go.  The consensus among doctors and nutritionists is that any soda, if consumed regularly, is bad for your health.

I look at soda as a treat.  I may have it once in a great while.  When I do, I prefer sodas sweetened with cane sugar simply because they taste so much better.  I think the problem is people treating them like a staple in their diet.  They have a diet soda with every meal and in between meals.  My wife is one of those.  She blows through a 12 pack of Diet Coke a day.  She stopped drinking it for a couple months and lost weight and her chronic headaches subsided.  It all resumed when she started the soda habit again.  

Put shit in your body, expect shit results.  Soda is not healthy.  Water is healthy.
View Quote

Do you know how long aspartame has been around? Lets just say long enough for many epidemiological studies as well as medical studies to how it effects us. Guess what..The general medical consensus (you know the people who actually know their stuff and can actually prove what they say) have said the there is no harm in "artificial shit". Did you now that every thing you eat could be called "artificial"? Organisms produce organic chemicals very much like and in similar ways as chemical manufacturers!. I swear that most of the World is conditioned by ignorance to hear the words "artificial" and "chemical" and automatically think its somehow bad for you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
chemical vs natural.  sugar vs hfcs.  hfcs vs aspartame.  

Some people don't react well to chemicals.  The fake sweets gave both my dad and my brother the most intense migraines they ever experienced.  Isolated it to sugar free products by process of elimination.  

FWIW, last couple of years there was a study released that showed biologically the fake sweets are worse and equally prone to onset diabetes than sugar. People tend to think they are doing good so they indulge and make it harder on the body to process.  Eventually the body says enough is enough.

Worked with a guy once who was a diet drinker.  Couldn't give up his fix, but switched to diet because his doctor was concerned about his weight.  Lost the weight, kept hitting the diet drinks.  Last I heard he started insulin not long ago.  Still drinking the diets though.  

Personally, it's the real stuff or not at all.  I've tried diet for taste and never could acquire it anyway.  Health?  Cut out soda all together or you're just fooling yourself.  There is no way the chemical concoction is in any way pretty healthy.  Remember, most 20oz bottles are 2.5 servings.  The nutrition facts are lowered by increasing servings so when you read it's all about the feels.

No there wasn't.

Umm...yes it was.  Sorry your Google is broke.  I don't have time to tell you where to go look for it.  The Time article linked above has some good points and links in it, though the "we have to do more research" usually translates into "more people have to die or the funding of our study has to change sources first".

Lol OK, continue living your life of scientific ignorance.

Lol. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature13793.html&ved=0ahUKEwjjurGQzfzPAhXJNj4KHbn0B00QFggxMAE&usg=AFQjCNHWQXlyWtxx-nrn79A-nJ-oe6gwjQ&sig2=_tlOBxyAxwWdfLFbzezTRQ

You do realize that anybody can publish anything, right? That study is seriously flawed and disagrees with many legitimate research studies on the topic. But it's on the Internet, so it must be true.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FUCK!

I FUCKING KNEW IT!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Saccharose2.svg/200px-Saccharose2.svg.png

FUCK!

I FUCKING KNEW IT!

Do you remember the Alamo?

Chemicals. The whole thing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:15:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Real Sugar Pepsi for me!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#11]
<pulls up to speaker>

"Hello! I'd like to order a Supersized Big Mac Meal with a diet coke please."

<sees a skinny guy walking by McDonalds>

<Thinks> "It must be nice to be young with high metabolism".

Diet drinks were created by beverage companies to fulfill a need for people who lack self control. The need they fill is the need to do something "healthy" and feel good about it so that the person can rationalize progress towards a goal they will likely never meet.

We can debate the health hazards all day. We cannot rationalize the health benefits of the following ingredients, our diets don't need extra of this bullshit....carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate (to protect taste), natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

The correct answer would be to drink water, but that would restrict millions of people from stuffing their guts with yummy and tasty treats. We know water is good for us, buuuuut lets keep arguing over studies that call into question that the shit listed above may or may not be bad.

The bottom line is this. That shit isn't helping any of you.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Recently switched to diet mt dew from mt dew. Looking at the nutrition fact, it's literally all zeros except a tiny amount of sodium. Looks pretty healthy
View Quote

its that warning on the side about other stuff it contains.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:52:50 AM EDT
[#13]
simple solution, don't drink soda

pretty easy
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You should just stop being fat.
View Quote

6-1 and 182, try again troll.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I read that the sweet taste kicks off an insulin dump, which will cause you to store calories... almost the same as sugar.

Eventually your body becomes tolerant and your insulin looses effectiveness.

Edit.  Spelling error was intentional.
View Quote

I dunno about causing diabeetus, but I've also read some of the artificial sweeteners like sucralose trigger an insulin response, and aspartame can increase insulin sensitivity.  

In any case, it's acidic and drinking lots of it daily is bad for your teeth.

But, I had some side effects when I drank quite a bit of diet soda for a while.  Hard to explain.  Not dehydrated, but I would get an off kind of feeling with a very mild headache.  That all went away switching to water.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Come to think of it, I agree with those Trump tweets from 2012. I can't think of any thin, healthy folks who drink diet soda. Then again, I'm a cigarette smoker and I drink normal soda a couple times per week.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I was somewhere around 215lbs at my chubbiest, several years ago.

Decided I needed to get my shit together and started slowly changing my diet & portion sizes along with working out. Over the course of months the pounds started ticking off but I got stuck at 200lbs for a long time. It was some sort of barrier I couldn't breach.

Then I stopped the diet-soda and went to water.  Holy shit did the lbs melt off.

In fairness, my exercise routine also greatly increased that time so I can't pin it all on getting rid of diet-soda but it played a huge role in a significant weight loss.

As of this morning 167lbs.

Antidotial, non-scientific and biased as hell. That said, other than at Cola Warrior events it's water and coffee for me.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because they believe artificial sweeteners are the debbil
View Quote

Is it the artificial sweetners that mimic estrogen in the body? Or is that something else?

Either way, diet soda tastes like shit, regular soda is basically poison, and I'm sure the colors and other fun things they add in there aren't great for you.

Drink coffee or tea if you want a caffeine boost.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Artificial sweeteners trick your body's natural dietary processes and actually causes diabetes. You're better off either consuming real sugar or simply not drinking soda in the first place.
View Quote

Yup, I don't drink soda except for the rare Coke/Pepsi when sugar get's low
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I started having tingling and painful fingers, hands, and wrists after many years of drinking way too much Diet Coke.
An occasional diet soda isn't bad.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What about Steva as used in coffee?
View Quote

PhD nutritionist informed me that Stevia use can cause ED.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Recently switched to diet mt dew from mt dew. Looking at the nutrition fact, it's literally all zeros except a tiny amount of sodium. Looks pretty healthy
View Quote

They're not bad for you just people we care about....
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#23]
The bigger question is why is it that the majority of fat people are the ones drinking "diet" sodas?

I very rarely see fit people drinking soda, diet or otherwise. I know I don't. Shit is poison.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The bigger question is why is it that the majority of fat people are the ones drinking "diet" sodas?

I very rarely see fit people drinking soda, diet or otherwise. I know I don't. Shit is poison.
View Quote

lol this
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Artificial sweeteners trick your body's natural dietary processes and actually causes diabetes. You're better off either consuming real sugar or simply not drinking soda in the first place.
View Quote

This, happened to a good friend of mine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was somewhere around 215lbs at my chubbiest, several years ago.

Decided I needed to get my shit together and started slowly changing my diet & portion sizes along with working out. Over the course of months the pounds started ticking off but I got stuck at 200lbs for a long time. It was some sort of barrier I couldn't breach.

Then I stopped the diet-soda and went to water.  Holy shit did the lbs melt off.

In fairness, my exercise routine also greatly increased that time so I can't pin it all on getting rid of diet-soda but it played a huge role in a significant weight loss.

As of this morning 167lbs.

Antidotial, non-scientific and biased as hell. That said, other than at Cola Warrior events it's water and coffee for me.

View Quote

My wife drinks 2-3 cans of pepsi a day.

I've told her 100 times that shit is pure poison, but she keeps buying it.

Everyone I know that drinks more than one a day has some sort of shitty and preventable medical condition and/or is a fatty.

I don't understand the appeal of high blood pressure and diabetes in your 30s.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because they already have made bad diet choices across the board, so deciding to make the switch to "diet" soda is a pleasure and reward thing for them. They don't have to give up a vice because they feel it isn't bad for them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I drink diet drinks for 3 reasons.

1.  I like the taste, actually preferring it to the sweeter sugared products.

2.  It has zero calories.

3.  It has no sugar, which I avoid as part of my regular diet.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your good friend was other wise fit, trim, and healthy?  No genetic predispositions or environmental issues?

Diet soda was ruled to be the sole cause?

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Soda, whether diet or otherwise is probably one of the worst things you can drink.  

While there is nothing wrong with a soda pop once in awhile (and I mean once in awhile literally, like maybe once a month if that), far too many people drink pop as part of a normal diet, as in daily.

Others have addressed the issues with artificial sweetners, so I won't go there.

I do enjoy a carbonated beverage on occasion, and have satisfied that craving with Pellegrino.  Sure, it's expensive fancy water, but it's a hell of a lot better for you than soda.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

LULZ....uh....no.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Because they believe artificial sweeteners are the debbil
View Quote

Ever seen the process where they make these sweetners?

If you had you'd avoid that shit too.

They grow e. Coli cultures and basically use e. Coli shit to produce aspartame. I have done contract work in a sweet & low plant.

Just like how seeing how hot dogs are made can change your desire to eat them, seeing the process of how sweeteners are producted is similar.

In truth, cola is just bad for you regardless. I've worked in a place that is a direct supplier of phosporic acid to coke. That is a nasty ass product too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Soda, whether diet or otherwise is probably one of the worst things you can drink.  

While there is nothing wrong with a soda pop once in awhile (and I mean once in awhile literally, like maybe once a month if that), far too many people drink pop as part of a normal diet, as in daily.

Others have addressed the issues with artificial sweetners, so I won't go there.

I do enjoy a carbonated beverage on occasion, and have satisfied that craving with Pellegrino.  Sure, it's expensive fancy water, but it's a hell of a lot better for you than soda.
View Quote

I know a guy that will drink either 6 cans of Mt. Dew a day, or if the liter sized bottles are on sale he will buy two of those and drink them through the day.

Just drink water man, it's free out of the hose, I used to drink one or two a day, and stopped cold turkey, then it was about one a week. Now it's one every few months, usually at a party or something. You actually feel better not drinking that shit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Even without being a professional researcher, one can smell the bro science in this thread a mile away.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I couldn't get my blood sugar where it needed to be until I gave up my daily coke zero.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#36]
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/health/diet-soda-may-do-more-harm-than-good/

Drink real soda in moderation. It shouldn't be an everyday thing. Unless you want to be fat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I drink Coke Zero literally

ALL

FUCKING

DAY

I go to Costco and buy the 35 pack. It lasts me two weeks.
View Quote

Lightweight.  I had to quit caffeine entirely a few months ago.  I was going through a 12 pack, sometimes a 24 pack of Coke Zero a day.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Many places are talking about higher taxes on sugary drinks.

I'm certain the federal government will be stepping in hard in the coming years.The diabeetus epidemic will make for some interesting laws.

I rarely drink pop,but do like sweetened iced tea in the summer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fat people drink diet pop. By the bucket full.

View Quote

Too many people have abandoned critical thinking and practice willful ignorance instead.

Fat people drink diet soda because they need to cut calories and carbs.    

It may be that consumption of diet drinks isn't helping much, but only a simpleton would extrapolate that to assume that diet drinks are actually causing the fatness.

I'm sure they aren't good for you.   Putting aside the hype and the lies from both sides, I'd like to know just how bad they really are.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The new diet pepsi is aspartame free
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because artificial sweeteners aren't natural and a lot of people are afflicted by a naturalness bias.

Nevermind that sugar has been absolutely proven to cause disastrous side effects - the news told me a new study said aspartame causes cancer!

Splenda (sucralose) FTMFW!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because artificial sweeteners aren't natural and a lot of people are afflicted by a naturalness bias.

Nevermind that sugar has been absolutely proven to cause disastrous side effects - the news told me a new study said aspartame causes cancer!

So they've switched to anti-freeze?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#43]
so everyone in here is saying if you took these Mr. Olympia guys and started giving them 3-4 diest sodas a day within a few months they would be fat slobs and probably diabetic?  

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota

NAS consumption is considered safe and beneficial owing to their low caloric content, yet supporting scientific data remain sparse and controversial. Here we demonstrate that consumption of commonly used NAS formulations drives the development of glucose intolerance through induction of compositional and functional alterations to the intestinal microbiota
View Quote

The study of the effects of gut bacteria on health will lead to major medical developments.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#46]
because it doesn't break your bad habits, it encourages them.
"Oh, this soda has no calories so I can drink as many as I want!"

You should be drinking water 90% of the time, and alcohol or soda on rare occasions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
so everyone in here is saying if you took these Mr. Olympia guys and started giving them 3-4 diest sodas a day within a few months they would be fat slobs and probably diabetic?  

View Quote

No, but it's a marker.

People who tend to drink a lot of soda, also tend to be overweight, or have health issues.

Not everyone, but I bet if you did a graph the correlation would be high.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
All the thin people I know drink sugar. All the fat people I know drink diet. Weird.
View Quote

Thin people don't have gastric bypass surgery either.  Weird.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  The way I see this is the stuff definitely isn't good for you and might be pretty bad for you.  Those are facts.  Why drink the stuff?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Because they want to take all enjoyment out of life for everyone.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top