BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Atheism. That is where it will lead.  If, you really study all of it.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No question. Just my sympathies. Hopefully you can find the Gospel and the Spirit somewhere. In the mean time, stick to scripture and prayer with that lovely wife. "Wherever two or more are gathered..."
We are not the only ones that have been dissatisfied.

A small group of us are going to meet to study scripture, dine together and pray until that time we can find a suitable congregation.

I will not be un-churched.

Start a church?

We are going to initiate a bible study…and where it goes, we will see.

Atheism. That is where it will lead.  If, you really study all of it.  

I have not studied all of it, but I have studied ALOT of it…and it takes me no where near Atheism.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Evangelical Free Church of America  http://www.efca.org
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What church?  Only counts if it's a real religion.

I've never heard of them. I read their statement of faith.
What's the deal with the new guy then?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Turn the page.

Best of luck on your next chapter.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lol. You got freaked out by the "Affirmation of Faith"...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Methodist?

(I was all set to join the Methodist Church years ago, until they wanted me to basically pledge allegiance to the church. I walked out during the ceremony.)

Lol. You got freaked out by the "Affirmation of Faith"...

Better than falling for it hook, line, and sinker. I'm quite comfortable with my decision.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Discussed it a few pages back, but I will surmise.

The EFCA does not take a stance on Calvinism vs Arminiansm vs other 'salvation' processes.

Our pastor turned his pulpit over to a young man, that is a GOOD young man…but  is a student of John MacArthur and other Reformed/Calvinists pastors.

I have a major problem with that.

I chose to recuse myself instead of showing my backside.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Read up on Molinism. It reconciles Calvinism and free will quite well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
4 reasons.

My friend and mentor who was the assistant pastor there left.  It left a pretty big hole for my wife and I there as he counseled us through a rocky part of our marriage.

Another couple that we were tight with left the church about a year ago.  

A couple that is an absolute train wreck drugs, addiction, co-dependency have been allowed to absolutely destroy our home based small group bible study.

The pastor allowed a person to preach that holds to doctrine that I am not willing to sit under, and has given indication that this person will be hired on staff soon.

The combined weight of those items have turned church from a place that my wife and I took joy in going to and serving and turned it into a place that evokes anger, resentment, and suspicion.  I have no desire to change the church, fight with the elders and I am simply gracefully bowing out and wishing them the best as I seek another congregation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why ?
4 reasons.

My friend and mentor who was the assistant pastor there left.  It left a pretty big hole for my wife and I there as he counseled us through a rocky part of our marriage.

Another couple that we were tight with left the church about a year ago.  

A couple that is an absolute train wreck drugs, addiction, co-dependency have been allowed to absolutely destroy our home based small group bible study.

The pastor allowed a person to preach that holds to doctrine that I am not willing to sit under, and has given indication that this person will be hired on staff soon.

The combined weight of those items have turned church from a place that my wife and I took joy in going to and serving and turned it into a place that evokes anger, resentment, and suspicion.  I have no desire to change the church, fight with the elders and I am simply gracefully bowing out and wishing them the best as I seek another congregation.

Eta: read further and saw you disagree with reformed theology. What exactly, do you disagree with regarding MacArthur's and other reformer's doctrinal statements?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The EFCA does not take a stance on Calvinism vs Arminiansm vs other 'salvation' processes.
Our pastor turned his pulpit over to a young man, that is a GOOD young man…but  is a student of John MacArthur and other Reformed/Calvinists pastors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, I ended up reading about the 5 points of Calvinism thing.
I don't know your issues on that, but I do disagree with some points of Calvinism.

Take care. Hope you find a good church.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
In all my years, I have never heard of this.

I will read up on it.

Thanks for sharing that.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
One can watch live streaming church services on the net from many denominations. We usually watch two each week. It might be a nice bridge while you are searching for a new brick and mortar church.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I will read up on it.

Thanks for sharing that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will read up on it.

Thanks for sharing that.

It's the Jesuit's crowning achievement.  Despite their problems with Luther.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

One can watch live streaming church services on the net from many denominations. We usually watch two each week. It might be a nice bridge while you are searching for a new brick and mortar church.
View Quote
There are 4 families that are planning on starting a 'breakfast club' on Sunday mornings.

Basically, we will all bring our favorite breakfast food, gather, pray for each other, and study scripture.

What we would like to do is invite friends that are, for the most part, unchurched and would not go to church, to come and hang out with us and share the gospel with them there.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am most decidedly not an Armenian.

I am most decidedly not a Calvinist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is it a specific one of the 5 points to which you have a major disagreement such that you would walk away from your church or is it you are an adamant Arminian in doctrine and your church is moving towards a more Calvinist theology.

If I had to guess it would be that you don't care for the doctrine of election which is typically the point most disagree with.

For what it is worth John MacArthur taught a sermon (you can find it on his web page) on when to leave your church, don't listen to it because it will likely make you reconsider your position even if you are not in a great church or you don't like his reformed theology.   I was loving the message and all ready to leave my church over perceived doctrinal, personalities, and self-righteous indignation and about 10 minutes in I had to do some repenting.

I'm still at my church and serving in lay positions even though I may not agree with everything or everyone.  

Those aren't your only choices.  Both those theologies post-date the actual Protestant reformation and teaching of Martin Luther.  Check into Lutheranism.  You may find some peace in that.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought I would come up with some questions, but I've got nothing.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Those aren't your only choices.  Both those theologies post-date the actual Protestant reformation and teaching of Martin Luther.  Check into Lutheranism.  You may find some peace in that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is it a specific one of the 5 points to which you have a major disagreement such that you would walk away from your church or is it you are an adamant Arminian in doctrine and your church is moving towards a more Calvinist theology.

If I had to guess it would be that you don't care for the doctrine of election which is typically the point most disagree with.

For what it is worth John MacArthur taught a sermon (you can find it on his web page) on when to leave your church, don't listen to it because it will likely make you reconsider your position even if you are not in a great church or you don't like his reformed theology.   I was loving the message and all ready to leave my church over perceived doctrinal, personalities, and self-righteous indignation and about 10 minutes in I had to do some repenting.

I'm still at my church and serving in lay positions even though I may not agree with everything or everyone.  

The LCMS is where I'm at home on earth
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are 4 families that are planning on starting a 'breakfast club' on Sunday mornings.

Basically, we will all bring our favorite breakfast food, gather, pray for each other, and study scripture.

What we would like to do is invite friends that are, for the most part, unchurched and would not go to church, to come and hang out with us and share the gospel with them there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AKA a house church. Which is one of the most effective outreach tools.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's how it all started back in the Apostles time and is probably the best way to learn. I always missed the music in those settings and nobody would bring a pipe organ.......

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I grew up in the Southern Baptist Church.

The Calvinists/Reformed people have been working to overtake the SBC and make that one of their standards.

My dad goes to a small church called Mandeville Bible Church, they are non-denominational, but make their doctrinal statement VERY clear as it pertains to this and other matters.

I am going to be patient and prayerful in my search.

I rest assured in the promise that "if we seek, we will find".

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, me too.  As a child my family attended an Arminian church for many years before transferring to a Reformed Church.  As I started my own family, my wife and I sought a Church that agreed with our conscientious understanding of scripture.  LCMS is where we landed and have been for 20+ years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Calvinists/Reformed people have been working to overtake the SBC and make that one of their standards.

My dad goes to a small church called Mandeville Bible Church, they are non-denominational, but make their doctrinal statement VERY clear as it pertains to this and other matters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be a very spiritually enlightening time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The gardener is no closer to the plant than when He is pruning.

My old church will grow because of this.  They will learn, adapt, and move forward.  I am confident in that.

My wife and I will grow and mature and move forward from this.

All things work together for the good of those that serve the Lord.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, I left the same denomination for similar reasons years ago. It sucks, but if you are sticking to biblical teachings then it's for the best.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
OP, I left the same denomination for similar reasons years ago. It sucks, but if you are sticking to biblical teachings then it's for the best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I will not get stuck in a doctrinal debate here in GD.  The issue is that they allowed a young man that is studying under John MacArthur, a leading pastor in Reformed Theology and a practicer of the 5 points of Calvinism to take the pulpit.  The EFCA is a great organization, but they do not take a stand and allow for 'disagreement'.  I am not looking to fight, and as I said, bowing out gracefully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to hear that.  They are a great organization.

Are you sure that you cannot voice your concerns?

I understand your desire not to change the church - but the church is the body - not the leadership - and if there is a poison, it needs sunlight to cure it.  If you don't explain what the problem is - how can they fix it?
I will not get stuck in a doctrinal debate here in GD.  The issue is that they allowed a young man that is studying under John MacArthur, a leading pastor in Reformed Theology and a practicer of the 5 points of Calvinism to take the pulpit.  The EFCA is a great organization, but they do not take a stand and allow for 'disagreement'.  I am not looking to fight, and as I said, bowing out gracefully.

I would consider leaving/would leave if that happened at my church too
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes and no.

Part of the beauty of a church is finding true friends and mentors.  At the same time, sound doctrine takes precedence, at least to me.  

The young man that he allowed to preach does not practice sound doctrine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm...so it is more about the people than the message?  Sounds like a good eject. Time to find a place that teaches sound doctrine regardless of who is "preaching" it.
Yes and no.

Part of the beauty of a church is finding true friends and mentors.  At the same time, sound doctrine takes precedence, at least to me.  

Top down problem.

Poor manager.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Top down problem.

Poor manager.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm...so it is more about the people than the message?  Sounds like a good eject. Time to find a place that teaches sound doctrine regardless of who is "preaching" it.
Yes and no.

Top down problem.

Poor manager.

You have no idea as to how solidly you just hit the nail right on the head.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Calvinism is spreading? I am surprised. The determinism it preaches is in stark contrast to popular notions of free will. Perhaps it is growing as a counterculture element to that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#29]
'resigned'?

odd term for leaving a church.

usually referred to as 'transferring membership'
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You atheists are so classy. Just like how vegans have to tell everyone else not to eat meat
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You atheists are so classy. Just like how vegans have to tell everyone else not to eat meat

How is that any different from you preaching your mythology?

It is a system of belief, which people believe in and follow, and they mention it to other non-followers.

Explain the difference.

<Allow me to explain for him--

Conduct Code

1) Posting derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature.

As you have a history of this, and haven't adjusted your posting habits, account locked.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It is a system of belief, which people believe in and follow, and they mention it to other non-followers.

Explain the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain the difference.

In my experience, the difference is in the motive.  Most Christians speak of their faith because they think it might benefit others.  Most atheist seem to have a selfish motive.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In my experience, the difference is in the motive.  Most Christians speak of their faith because they think it might benefit others.  Most atheist seem to have a selfish motive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain the difference.

1. That's your view.

2. The comparison was with vegans.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

1. That's your view.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain the difference.

1. That's your view.

Yes.  That's simply my opinion but let's look at this thread.  Most Christians of multiple denominations came on this thread to offer advice or encouragement to a brother at a crossroad in his faith.  What is your motive for being here?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes and no.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes and no.

Canton you give an example of unsound doctrine he was preaching?  Genuinely curious as it is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well…go.
View Quote

It took this long to realize churches are a crock.

God isn't, but religion is.

I think you were going to church for all the wrong reasons.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.....actually....the SBC was reformed when they were formed.  They later changed for the most part, there is now a resurgence to return to what they started as in terms of theology.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
'resigned'?

odd term for leaving a church.

usually referred to as 'transferring membership'
View Quote

He's a deacon. He's part of the church leadership.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#38]
God gave us free agency & he gave us scripture.
I pray you find what you are looking for Op.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Good 'luck' as you try and find where God wants you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And perhaps it is growing because the doctrines of Calvinism are taught throughout the Bible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calvinism is spreading? I am surprised. The determinism it preaches is in stark contrast to popular notions of free will. Perhaps it is growing as a counterculture element to that.

And perhaps it is growing because the doctrines of Calvinism are taught throughout the Bible.

Yes.  Let's don't loss sight of the fact that Calvin, Wesley, Luther and many other reformers would agree about much more than they disagree.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes.  That's simply my opinion but let's look at this thread.  Most Christians of multiple denominations came on this thread to offer advice or encouragement to a brother at a crossroad in his faith.  What is your motive for being here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain the difference.

1. That's your view.

I need to justify my being here to you?

I am always intrigued by the subject, if that will suffice as a reason, even if you won't accept it as a justification.

I believe the religion forum is the place where only one point of view is allowed, but this is GD, where dissent is permitted.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The young man that taught is an admitted Calvinist/Reformed theology guy.  he is currently a student in John MacArthur's University.  He taught from Romans 8, which is the 'wheelhouse' of 5 point Calvinists.

This young man and his brother are also youth and junior high school ministers for the church (volunteers).  The simple fact is that 90% of people in church have no clue what Calvinists/Reformed theology teaches, let alone what is taught to their kids.  I know this…if I had children, and they were in those classes, I would be VERY upset.

I have room for disagreement with people and can do so without being disagreeable.  I have friends that are Roman Catholic, friends that are gay, friends that are redeyed atheist heathens.  That being said, while we are friends…I would not allow them to lead me or my household in the teaching of doctrine.

Where I draw the line though, is when this person is put in a position of authority and teaching.  I will not sit under that teaching, and I do not wish to pick a fight and cause a problem in the church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What were the doctrinal issues being preached that caused a cocked eye?
The young man that taught is an admitted Calvinist/Reformed theology guy.  he is currently a student in John MacArthur's University.  He taught from Romans 8, which is the 'wheelhouse' of 5 point Calvinists.

This young man and his brother are also youth and junior high school ministers for the church (volunteers).  The simple fact is that 90% of people in church have no clue what Calvinists/Reformed theology teaches, let alone what is taught to their kids.  I know this…if I had children, and they were in those classes, I would be VERY upset.

I have room for disagreement with people and can do so without being disagreeable.  I have friends that are Roman Catholic, friends that are gay, friends that are redeyed atheist heathens.  That being said, while we are friends…I would not allow them to lead me or my household in the teaching of doctrine.

Where I draw the line though, is when this person is put in a position of authority and teaching.  I will not sit under that teaching, and I do not wish to pick a fight and cause a problem in the church.

I'm tracking now.   The natural man is an enemy to God, but we can choose to follow him and turn away from our sin.  We spend our lives refining by following Christ.

Predestiny has to do with the elect of God who are called to be prophets and apostles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Clavu, on general principle I agree with leaving over deeply held disagreements over core doctrine, when you are in the minority.

When you say he was preaching on Romans 8, was this the passage:
Romans 8:28-30 KJV

[28] And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
[29] For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
[30] Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#45]
what would jesus do?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe borrow from that 10% you're giving jesus to buy a team membership.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait for Old Painless to make a ruling on this.   Until then, I am just assuming snake handlers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#48]
[b]Quoted: I need to justify my being here to you?

I am always intrigued by the subject, if that will suffice as a reason, even if you won't accept it as a justification.

I believe the religion forum is the place where only one point of view is allowed, but this is GD, where dissent is permitted.[/span]
View Quote

You're absolutely right. You don't owe me a justification.  I simply was giving yourself an opportunity to disprove my self admitted opinion.

Just another opinion, I think many atheists are not just "Intrigued" by Christian discussion but "called" to them. Bless you.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Finally realized "God" is man made?

Congrats - welcome to the 21st century...

Good decision.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

We've
got friends who used to attend EFree. Both couples have nothing but
good things to say, though they are members of SBC churches now. I am
sorry to hear about your situation -- sounds like a genuine mess. Do you mind me asking what kind of doctrine is being held to / preached? If the church is as big a disaster as it sounds - especially if heresy is being preached - have you considered contacting EFCA HQ and talking to them? Unless the whole denomination has gone off the rails, I'm sure that they would want to deal with this situation before the local church completely implodes.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top