User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just to be clear, I don't believe anything from the WWF.

I've just noticed, many years ago actually, that some species are pretty rare around here when they used to be plentiful.

The lack of quail and horned toads pretty well coincided with the invasion of fire ants in central Texas back in the late 70's - early 80's.  There were quail everywhere and horned toads were very common.

There's never been a lack of coyotes here, so I don't think predation by them is what caused it.

I miss flushing coveys anytime I tried and picking up horned toads to check out and marvel at their coolness.

The wasps that the weirdo Aggies released seem to have done a good job on fire ants but I still don't see quail or horned toads.
View Quote
There was also a large rise in raptor populations throughout the 70s and 80s.  Anything they eat was going to take a hit.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen a t rex in Plano in over 5 years

Txl
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

The last one died from a heroin OD.

True story.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Not 60% gone extinct, 60% population reduction.

Interesting graphic I found.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x330/chefurka/Animal%20Biomass_zpsn4yvgzrx.png
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Populations have grown around me, since childhood. In my opinion due to less people hunting. It used to be my county was swarmed by out of state people, when hunting seasons started. Now there might be 20% of what used to show up. I would say local hunting has dropped 50%.

Squirrels: Ungodly amounts of them.
Rabbits: Hardly seen any growing, now everywhere.
Turkeys: Used to be hunted hard, now not much pressure and a strong population.
Coyotes: I'm 33 and didn't see my first one until 10 years ago and no one believed me. Now they are out of hand and I'm going to start doing my part by hunting for them.
Deer: About the same. Even with less hunting the coyotes and poachers take their share.
Bears: Really not sure but I always run across some every year when I'm out in the woods.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not 60% gone extinct, 60% population reduction.

Interesting graphic I found.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x330/chefurka/Animal%20Biomass_zpsn4yvgzrx.png
View Quote
Also, they were looking at some 3,000 species. Out of you know, 60,000 or so.

But, reading is for faggots apparently.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know they are not extinct but I haven't seen a horned toad or quail around here in many years.

I believe fire ants are the reason, not anything caused by man. Unless you count fire ants being imported in root balls 60 years ago.

Do you notice any particular species missing in your area?
View Quote

Horned toads-  yeah they are a rare sight.  

Quail-  making a comeback.  The last few years I've noticed Quail while dove hunting.  I have dove hunted there since I was a kid and it's been a long time since I had seen any.   There is even a covey that is living under a bush at my office.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am experiencing an overabundance of animal life in my AO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Creek behind my house used to have tons of salamanders and crayfish in it when i was a kid...literally tons.  This would have been throughout the 1970's.

I have not seen any back there now for many, many years.  I know they aren't extinct, but it's odd that they disappeared from this particular waterway.
View Quote

Salamanders are typically the canary in the coal mine of creeks. They are most sensitive to pollution and the first to disappear.  Has there been more development in the area since you were a kid?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Salamanders are typically the canary in the coal mine of creeks. They are most sensitive to pollution and the first to disappear.  Has there been more development in the area since you were a kid?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Creek behind my house used to have tons of salamanders and crayfish in it when i was a kid...literally tons.  This would have been throughout the 1970's.

I have not seen any back there now for many, many years.  I know they aren't extinct, but it's odd that they disappeared from this particular waterway.

Salamanders, some species of frogs, some species of toads especially, and some species of small fish are all good indicators of creek health.

If it's even missing crawdads, there is a serious problem.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#11]
What does the World Wrestling Federation have anything to do with animals?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What does the World Wrestling Federation have anything to do with animals?
View Quote

This should clear things up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This may sound weird, but I rarely see chipmunks anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know they are not extinct but I haven't seen a horned toad or quail around here in many years.

I believe fire ants are the reason, not anything caused by man. Unless you count fire ants being imported in root balls 60 years ago.

Same here.  About 4 years ago, a Barred owl pair moved into my backyard.  This is this year's offspring.  ETA:  This tree is in my front yard.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#14]
The DNR says other wise but it sure looks like there are less deer now then any other time in my life.   There also seem to be more coyotes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Intelligent life is disappearing from California

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Let's see...

Andre the Giant, extinct.
Rowdy Rodney Piper, extinct.
Iron Shiek, not extinct.
Hulk Hogan, not extinct.

According to the WWF, we are halfway there.

Once again, the fate of the world rests on the shoulders of hulkamania!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. ^^^

And a reduction of jobs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Intelligent life is disappearing from California

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Depending on the outcome of the election, intelligent life may have disappeared from far more places than just California.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#19]
FWWF

They are part of the UN gun grabbing-Agenda 21 bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Gorilla population  is on a decline in Ohio.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can mail you a box of them by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
True Vertebrate Homo Sapiens have been extinct in Washington DC since Reagan left town.

Nice avatars, was that planned?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Porcupines have pretty much disappeared around here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

True story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

True story.

It is Plano...

Txl
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It has nothing to do with farming techniques, and everything to do with the predator boom.  Coyote, fox, fishers, mink, etc are all doing very well (too well for pheasant).  And other less bloodthirsty critters want to eat their eggs, like coons and possum.  

A lot of farmers are actually practicing "no till" farming these days, to reduce soil erosion.  That means that they don't plow the field after every crop, and just plant over the stubble.  That should be a huge benefit to pheasants, but it's not enough to overcome all the critters that are trying to kill them.  If you want to help the pheasants return, start trapping and killing varmints.  But unless a lot of people start doing it, the pheasant is doomed in WI, MI, and MN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardly see any pheasants now. When I was a kid, they were pretty common, enough to be regular roadkill.

Now they're rare sighting. You pretty much have to be on private land or one of the "seeded" public hunting grounds on opening day to find pheasants these days. Last time I went to a seeded hunting ground, the hunters were practically elbow to elbow.

I kind of blame this on modern farming methods. In the 70's, the rows were still far apart you could walk between them. Now row spacing is like 6" apart and plants are like 3-4" apart it seems like. This isn't the issue, not for the pheasants anyway, but the modern practice of when harvesting the corn, the stalk is sheared off like 2-3" above the ground, and turned into sillage after separating from the corn. Then the field is turned. The harvesters are more efficient and results in less spilled corn. That plus a lack of cover because of the bare stalks leads to fewer pheasants, IMHO.

It has nothing to do with farming techniques, and everything to do with the predator boom.  Coyote, fox, fishers, mink, etc are all doing very well (too well for pheasant).  And other less bloodthirsty critters want to eat their eggs, like coons and possum.  

A lot of farmers are actually practicing "no till" farming these days, to reduce soil erosion.  That means that they don't plow the field after every crop, and just plant over the stubble.  That should be a huge benefit to pheasants, but it's not enough to overcome all the critters that are trying to kill them.  If you want to help the pheasants return, start trapping and killing varmints.  But unless a lot of people start doing it, the pheasant is doomed in WI, MI, and MN.

Same here as a kid in the 80s pheasant were plentiful and you never saw a coyote or Fox

Now I never see pheasant but see coyote couple times a week and Fox couple times a month
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Unfortunately the FSA is still going strong around here, and everywhere else I believe...
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#27]
This year I have seen one garter snake, one frog(yesterday), and one toad.

I used to see a lot of them during the summer months.

They aren't extinct but, their numbers are not where they used to be.

Still plenty of small furry critters, chipmunks and squirrels, around here.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Same here as a kid in the 80s pheasant were plentiful and you never saw a coyote or Fox

Now I never see pheasant but see coyote couple times a week and Fox couple times a month

View Quote

Again, pheasants are not native to the North American continent.  They were imported specifically to be shot as game birds.  Pheasants don't seem to thrive without human assistance and we see a lot fewer of them because they are not being restocked every year like they used to be.

Between hunters and predators, pheasants have it rough.  

Are there bounties on coyotes in Nebraska?  

This is loud - turn down your speakers before viewing.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#29]
On the other hand there are as many or more dove than I ever remember and whitetails have become a pest.

I was 9 year old when I first hunted deer, 1972, and they were very scarce. They were coming back in north central Texas but they weren't easy to find.

My grampa, who was born in 1897, explained to me how they were wiped out during the great depression and taking them on sight continued up until about 1960.

Now they're everywhere, too many in places.

There's a green space / trail area in north Austin across the street from a hospital that has a nice herd of very healthy whitetails. There's a big 10 point buck that I would love to shoot. But that would be wrong or frowned upon, like murdering Cecil or some shit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't forget Wild hogs.  I've seen a horned toad ONCE in the wild and it wasn't in my AO where they once thrived.  One invasive species such as a wild hog has a devastating effect on the eco system.  Then there is wild house cats, sparrows, and so forth and so and forth, etc.........  I can honestly believe their assessment... unfortunately
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:05:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Don't forget Wild hogs.  I've seen a horned toad ONCE in the wild and it wasn't in my AO where they once thrived.  One invasive species such as a wild hog has a devastating effect on the eco system.  Then there is wild house cats, sparrows, and so forth and sorry and forth, etc.........  I can honestly believe their assessment... unfortunately
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget Wild hogs.  I've seen a horned toad ONCE in the wild and it wasn't in my AO where they once thrived.  One invasive species such as a wild hog has a devastating effect on the eco system.  Then there is wild house cats, sparrows, and so forth and sorry and forth, etc.........  I can honestly believe their assessment... unfortunately

The horny toads and quail started disappearing long before hogs were a problem. Hell, I'd never heard of wild hogs in Texas until the mid 90's. Well, heard of them but they weren't a problem.

Horny toads used to be very common to find. Easy to catch and so cool to hold and check out for a kid. They'll play possum, get rigid and act like they're dead for a minute or two. Then give up and just be cool.

I never saw one squirt blood out of it's eyes, which was common knowledge that they would do that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:12:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The horny toads and quail started disappearing long before hogs were a problem. Hell, I'd never heard of wild hogs in Texas until the mid 90's. Well, heard of them but they weren't a problem.

Horny toads used to be very common to find. Easy to catch and so cool to hold and check out for a kid. They'll play possum, get rigid and act like they're dead for a minute or two. Then give up and just be cool.

I never saw one squirt blood out of it's eyes, which was common knowledge that they would do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one Horny Toad I saw was last year at Painted Sky Inn at Burnet,TX. And since it's highly protected I left it alone to hopefully make more
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#33]
60% sounds about right for Hawaii, might be higher.  It's all species of birds that went extinct due to hunting by native Hawaiians, disease, cats and rats, and other stuff killing them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:19:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

60% sounds about right for Hawaii, might be higher.  It's all species of birds that went extinct due to hunting by native Hawaiians, disease, cats and rats, and other stuff killing them.
View Quote
That's what I'm saying.

Invasive species, especially on islands, and forcing native creatures out.

And, they didn't say that there has been a 60% reduction in total animals, but that the populations decreased by 60%.  If they looked at the reduction for each species and then averaged them, I can easily see many species like what you are describing easily racking up the numbers so that increases in deer, and coyotes, and certain birds isn't noticeable.

Not to mention, simple common things, like starlings, have decreased by 50% since when my dad was a kid.  This, even though its a good thing since they are an invasive species, would be factored in to their number.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#35]
First glance I thought this was about wrestling and back injuries.

NW FL here, big boom in squirrels, can't rememeber last time I saw a dove. Used to see and hear doves everyday. Birds in general seem to be pretty much missing from years gone by. Plenty of seagulls on the beach last time I was out there though.  Ants are everywhere, more roaches and spiders than I have ever seen in my life. I see a possum every once in awhile. I havn't seen a grasshopper or a roly poly since I was a kid.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

First glance I thought this was about wrestling and back injuries.

NW FL here, big boom in squirrels, can't rememeber last time I saw a dove. Used to see and hear doves everyday. Birds in general seem to be pretty much missing from years gone by. Plenty of seagulls on the beach last time I was out there though.  Ants are everywhere, more roaches and spiders than I have ever seen in my life. I see a possum every once in awhile. I havn't seen a grasshopper or a roly poly since I was a kid.

View Quote
Not vertebrates.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top