Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2016 10:30:45 PM EDT
Anyone try one of these out?

https://mudmotorkit.com/mud-motor-kits/medium-swamp-runner.html

Seems like this, paired with a harbor freight predator, would be way cheaper than a conventional outboard.

I just want something that will get me up and down the Brazos River, with all of it's sand and gravel bars.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a go devil in the past, works as advertised, just don't expect to get anywhere fast

A go devil surface drive is much better
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
They cost quite a bit more...
I can be on the river for right around $1k with the thai style kits.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had several Go Devil straight tails in the past. They were very simple and very reliable. Would take us from sandy creeks, through cypress swamps up into large large beaver dams with no problems ever. Great for duck hunting.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a go devil in the past, works as advertised, just don't expect to get anywhere fast

View Quote

Even for the cost difference, I'd much rather have a surface drive.  

I've got a Pro-Drive, but the GD is a good motor.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to see 10mph against the current, in a 12-14' boat. Not sure if that is overly optimistic, lol.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a 29hp Kawasaki mud buddy longtail on my 14ft xpress flat bottom.  It ripped pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one of those thai kits with the 13hp predator motor. It ran 10-16mph on my 1432 jon depending on the load. It was a good little mud motor for what little money I had into it. I bought my kit from swamp runner and had no problems at all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had one of those thai kits with the 13hp predator motor. It ran 10-16mph on my 1432 jon depending on the load. It was a good little mud motor for what little money I had into it. I bought my kit from swamp runner and had no problems at all.
View Quote

That's what I was hoping to hear. Did you mod the engine at all? Intake, exhaust, jets and governor tweaking seem to really wake them up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would caution against buying it from the guy in Ponchatoula, LA.
View Quote

I try to stay away from La, it smells like corndogs and the roads are so bad they still have 55mph speed limits.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to sell Pro Drives and had a demo boat with one on it.

Excellent surface drives just not as fast as the Go Devil SD. Since I would use the boat as a dual purpose fishing/hunting rig I need to be as close to 30mph as possible.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#12]
12' boat, 6hp mercury

Found this on craigslist. I might just go this route. I need something that I can drag down the bank and back up again, without any help. Would the long tail 16hp be too much motor for this boat? If not, would that be a much faster set-up, than the current 6 horse outboard?
I've never owned a motorized boat, so excuse my ignorance. Just need something to get me and my kid up and down the river, nothing serious.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#13]
My last 1652 had a 40 HP tiller handle. So no a 16 will not be too much.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
12' boat, 6hp mercury

Found this on craigslist. I might just go this route. I need something that I can drag down the bank and back up again, without any help. Would the long tail 16hp be too much motor for this boat? If not, would that be a much faster set-up, than the current 6 horse outboard?
I've never owned a motorized boat, so excuse my ignorance. Just need something to get me and my kid up and down the river, nothing serious.
View Quote

Spend the extra money and get somthing with a 48" bottom. It will be more stable and you will actually enjoy using it.

I'd get a 14 x48 square front to go with a long tail go devil.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Those Thai kits work okay. If you have to run through sand and gravel buy a few extra props. You can burn up a mud prop real quick in sand.

The size of those are small so don't expect a lot of speed and be mindful of the boat size so it'll actually plane instead of plow. Also, long tails are not easy to drive at all they are worse than a surface drive and a whole lot fucking worse than an outboard. I haven't messed with a long tail in a very long while since moving on to the myriad of surface drives that are around nowadays. Being able to turn quickly, go faster and just generally behave better when driving is so worth the cost of one. Nowadays the damn things are fuel injected with push button reverse.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Good list of different hulls/motors/mods and their performance with this kit.http://mudmotorkit.com/forum/stats/index.php
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Spend the extra money and get somthing with a 48" bottom. It will be more stable and you will actually enjoy using it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
12' boat, 6hp mercury

I'm used to running this section of river in a canoe, so I'm not overly concerned with balance. I'm afraid that anything wider will be too heavy to pull up and down the bank.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would caution against buying it from the guy in Ponchatoula, LA.
View Quote
Yeah, but does it have a Cuddy Cabin?

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My last 1652 had a 40 HP tiller handle. So no a 16 will not be too much.
View Quote

I see the hulls have HP ratings, so that was what has me thinking I was gonna over do it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Excellent surface drives just not as fast as the Go Devil SD. Since I would use the boat as a dual purpose fishing/hunting rig I need to be as close to 30mph as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, if I was hunting and fishing out of it I'd do the GD.  

I hunt by myself quite frequently and wanted the option of full power reverse on the PD.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm used to running this section of river in a canoe, so I'm not overly concerned with balance. I'm afraid that anything wider will be too heavy to pull up and down the bank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
12' boat, 6hp mercury

Hit the gym
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I hunt by myself quite frequently and wanted the option of full power reverse on the PD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FPR is a beast that's for sure
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hit the gym
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
12' boat, 6hp mercury

Hit the gym

Have you been talking to my wife?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
12' boat, 6hp mercury

Hit the gym

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Guys that are running the 23hp predator with the mud motor kits are getting so.e serious speed
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like a friend of mine has a 16hp Vanguard Go-Devil. He said he'll sell it cheap, so I'm gonna go that route. I also found a better spot to put in, so I'm looking for a bigger boat. 14-16'x 44-48".
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

12' boat, 6hp mercury

View Quote

I have a 15 foot Gheenoe that weighs 125# + accessories and people. It has

a 6hp Thohatsu and will run about 15mph loaded.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top