Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2016 4:58:02 PM EDT
https://pitchengine.com/buckrail/2016/10/25/bear-spray-thwarts-grizzly-attack-in-yellowst/002519248728656331773

John and Lisa Vandenbos from Bozeman, MT, parked at a pullout near the Specimen Ridge trailhead in the Lamar Valley, east of Tower Junction. They walked cross-country to the Lamar River and, while scouting for fishing spots, surprised an adult grizzly bear who was feeding on a partially consumed carcass. The bear immediately charged the couple and came within nine feet when both individuals quickly discharged their bear spray.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]

IT'S BEAR MACE, BRA!!

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet they both discharged their bowels as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
And people thought I was nuts when I spent $100 on bear spray last summer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://pitchengine.com/buckrail/2016/10/25/bear-spray-thwarts-grizzly-attack-in-yellowst/002519248728656331773

John and Lisa Vandenbos from Bozeman, MT, parked at a pullout near the Specimen Ridge trailhead in the Lamar Valley, east of Tower Junction. They walked cross-country to the Lamar River and, while scouting for fishing spots, surprised an adult grizzly bear who was feeding on a partially consumed carcass. The bear immediately charged the couple and came within nine feet when both individuals quickly discharged their bear spray.
View Quote

I thought bear spray was just a way to make yourself more spicy for the bear's meal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
What happens to you if you shoot it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought bear spray was just a way to make yourself more spicy for the bear's meal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to southerners yes. Seems most people out here know better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
My "bear spray" would have been a round from my .416 Rem Mag.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

May as well get some bear spray Anyway because you'll need to pepper your angus.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Took longer than I thought.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I read fisting instead of fishing, major letdown
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

May as well get some bear spray Anyway because you'll need to pepper your angus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SSS principle applies here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the last couple of years the public has ben allowed to carry firearms in National Parks.  Yellowstone is no exception.  I believe bear spray is more effective than firearms in most cases of bear encounters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd hate to take a chance on being in that ~10%.

From the article:

Studies show that bear spray is more than 90 percent effective in stopping an aggressive bear.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool. So an injured bear would have mauled you to death instead. Even IF you were able to unsling and fire in the short time it takes for a furry refrigerator with teeth to get to you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You get a lot of  grizzlies there in Georgia?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No griz, but this guy spends a lot of time around my treestand.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/tmann1990/media/WGI_0030_zpstsnhhzsa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463/tmann1990/WGI_0030_zpstsnhhzsa.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/tmann1990/media/WGI_0030_zpstsnhhzsa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w463/tmann1990/WGI_0030_zpstsnhhzsa.jpg</a>

I don't doubt you guys get a fair amount of black bears.  They can climb well too so it's an extra complicating factor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Wasn't there just a thread about a dude getting attacked twice by the same bear after trying to use spray??
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wasn't there just a thread about a dude getting attacked twice by the same bear after trying to use spray??
View Quote

yeah and it turned out that he had a pistol on him the entire time too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Bears are frisky this year.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, and he became Yogi chew toy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure if he wounded it, the man wouldn't be alive to make a video.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple things I've learned about bears.

Brown bears generally won't kill you for food, they'll kill you instead for A. you're between a brown bear sow and it's cubs. B. you approach the bears food cache and he/she think you're going to steal it. C. the bear has had a bad fur day.

Black bears will actively stalk you as food, plus A,B,C from browns.

Browns don't care for pepper spray, blacks thinks it's a condiment for their meal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep, Im sticking with bear spray as the first choice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You keep a big game rifle at the ready when fishing?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm...
That looks a lot more like a gal than a guy...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Cool. So an injured bear would have mauled you to death instead. Even IF you were able to unsling and fire in the short time it takes for a furry refrigerator with teeth to get to you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much faster is unholstering bear spray as opposed to unholstering a firearm?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How much faster is unholstering bear spray as opposed to unholstering a firearm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not,  at least the brand I use.  Gotta undo the velcro then take the plastic safety off,  aim and pray.  I sure as hell ain't gonna take the plastic thing off climbing around hunting/hiking,  it's just begging for bear spray AD. I need to get a different brand with a safer spray mechanism.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's not,  at least the brand I use.  Gotta undo the velcro then take the plastic safety off,  aim and pray.  I sure as hell ain't gonna take the plastic thing off climbing around hunting/hiking,  it's just begging for bear spray AD. I need to get a different brand with a safer spray mechanism.

<a href="http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/JohnSmith6073/media/2016-10-24%2016.53.39_zpsbfeefl1s.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/JohnSmith6073/2016-10-24%2016.53.39_zpsbfeefl1s.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/JohnSmith6073/media/2016-10-24%2016.53.39_zpsbfeefl1s.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/JohnSmith6073/2016-10-24%2016.53.39_zpsbfeefl1s.jpg</a>

The benefit is you don't have a wounded bear with a slug in it that's really pissed off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Silly me for thinking there was a vid
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Brown bears generally won't kill you for food, they'll kill you instead for A. you're between a brown bear sow and it's cubs. B. you approach the bears food cache and he/she think you're going to steal it. C. the bear has had a bad fur day.

Browns don't care for pepper spray, blacks thinks it's a condiment for their meal.
View Quote

Me thinks you have black and brown reversed in your statement...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And people thought I was nuts when I spent $100 on bear spray last summer.
View Quote

Yeah but we don't have many grizzly attacks here in Texas
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The benefit is you don't have a wounded bear with a slug in it that's really pissed off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to a bear really pissed off with chemical irritants in eyes and nose?  I honestly don't see much of a difference
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Going to Yellowstone to get married and honeymoon next fall.  I do believe we will invest in bear spray and I'll go through the pain in the ass of checking my 1911 in with the airline to have it as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Going to Yellowstone to get married and honeymoon next fall.  I do believe we will invest in bear spray and I'll go through the pain in the ass of checking my 1911 in with the airline to have it as well.
View Quote

1911 wouldn't do too much anyway IMO.

Bear spray is cheap. $40.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very true, especially against a griz.  More for peace of mind and 2 legged critters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Being somebody that has successfully deterred a bear with spray, I'm gonna say Good Shoot.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

At the very least you need a 10MM with hot hard cast lead ammunition.

A lot of people say 44 Mag / 460 S&W (or bigger) or bust but I like the safety factor of 13 rounds.

ETA - Open carry in a chest holster recommended.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought as well.....If I'm in brown bear country, I will have a rifle close.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, he is right.  It is recommended to play dead if attacked by a grizzly, but to fight back against a black bear.  The black bear plans to eat your ass.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Where do you guys get bear spray at?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Where do you guys get bear spray at?
View Quote

Everyone sells it here. From gas stations to grocery stores.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a cute little thing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You keep a 416 Remington Magnum in a holster?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I got bear spray before I did the Teton Crest Trail. We saw trail runners that had gotten off the tram all running with it.

I also had a Glock 20. Fortunately, neither were needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top