View Quote

Always
Be
Closing
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of my friends can sell like that, he is truly a master at it. It is a lot harder to be successful selling cars than most people think, especially now with all the info online and everyone thinking they are experts at negotiating. Many of the other guys at his dealership squeak by on 2 or 3 sales per month, he usually closes at least 2-3 per day and people come back to him for their next car, that is when you know you're doing it right.
View Quote

Wow. Where I worked they wouldn't keep you on without moving at least 10 cars per month on average, and they weren't even really paying you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
As a car salesman myself, I hate old car dogs like that.  The pitch always sounds slimy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My bullshit meter exploded when he said splash guards.

Enough.

TC
View Quote

I like how enthused he was about saving the value of the car. SPLASH GUARDS!!! And pinstripes make it distinctive...along with every other car that is pinstriped.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have to talk to a salesman to get a price, you're being defrauded.

Every. Time.

Salesmen are paid liars. Scumbags barely above politicians.
View Quote

And people that make blanket statements are liberal twats.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every. Time.

Salesmen and Tow Truck Drivers are seemingly universally hated here...and I've done both.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

parts in red are related
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sold cars.

Guys like that are who your sales manager makes you go out of pocket to attend his seminar of bullshit.

Just treating people like people and working on the buyers behalf is all it takes.

parts in red are related

"I sold cars once...  it was a tough racket"

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I could make a living buying cars for people who hate dealing with guys like that...dream job. I LOVE those guys. I LOVE the game. If you do your research and know your numbers...and don't mind playing the game, there is zero reason to not get the deal you want.
View Quote

It is a thing already and you're paid a percentage of the amount you negotiated off on their behalf.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]

I would have gotten up and walked out within the first 30 seconds.  What an insincere loudmouth shiester.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would not buy a bottle of water at the outskirts of the desert from a guy like that.
View Quote

the bottle water was 50% piss and he charged you 11%apr for it
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
To everyone that hates this type of car salesman, rest assured that they're a dying breed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I hate motherfuckers like that. Avoid them like the plague.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
when I buy a car, after the test drive I make an offer and that s that.  take it or leave it.  if they are one red cent over the amount I offer I walk.  Im not emotionally invested.  now granted I make an offer that I feel is reasonable, not the great deal in the history of cars.  

I usually preface it with "I believe my offer is reasonable, it is what the car is worth to me.  I could offer you less and we can play games but instead I'm going to make one reasonable offer you can take it or leave it...it s a price that isn't going to make you happy and it s a price that isn't going to make me happy, it s a price I think is reasonable for this car and I am not willing to pay anymore for it"

it almost always works out with private sellers and the last two times it worked out with dealers although the last time the guy had to come out and ask me to come back in twice as I walked out to my car.  he actually sold me the car for $100 less than my price and wasted an hour of my time along the way.  most of the time this doesn't workout with dealers and I leave.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP never make your "trade in" part of the equation. When there's a trade they will bamboozle you with bull excreatment. My best deal either house or car,
leave emotion out of the deal. Be willing to walk away when the deals not going your way. I admit my first car and home emotion played a part in the decision.
    Once you learn no home or car is unique, you are in control. In a way it's rewarding not to bite,and simply walk if the deal isn't working.

View Quote

That's why I sold my truck to a private party.

I hate playing the trade in game.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#15]
All scripts. Shove them up your ass dickhead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every. Time.

100% of car lot salesman are only made relevant by restrictions and regulations passed in favor of Car Lots passed by the government which give them an effective monopoly, which are induced by excessive lobbying by the dealers.

Is that blanket enough for you?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One of my friends can sell like that, he is truly a master at it. It is a lot harder to be successful selling cars than most people think, especially now with all the info online and everyone thinking they are experts at negotiating. Many of the other guys at his dealership squeak by on 2 or 3 sales per month, he usually closes at least 2-3 per day and people come back to him for their next car, that is when you know you're doing it right.
View Quote

way back when...I used to sell fishing boats.

I was wildly successful because I didn't bring any crap with me and I didn't act like a salesman.

I also told the truth and didn't bash other brands.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

100% of car lot salesman are only made relevant by restrictions and regulations passed in favor of Car Lots passed by the government which give them an effective monopoly, which are induced by excessive lobbying by the dealers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every. Time.

What's your point?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every. Time.

Well explain, Carmax, Saturn and Scion.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That guy is a boss. Bet he moves cars like nobody's business. Oh sure on one here would fall for that, most will.
View Quote

My elderly parents will and have (the one time I wasn't not privy to what was going on)

Which is why I have such disdain for this bullshit.

I'm guessing he's fucked over some good and honest people in his time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That guy is a boss. Bet he moves cars like nobody's business. Oh sure on one here would fall for that, most will.
View Quote

Yep he probably makes $150k + per year, but that's nothing in GD
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I hate it when sales folks do that upside down writing thing... I went to one of those resort places and sat in for 3 hours on the sales pitch thing to get a free stay... they always do that. It is extremely annoying.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be pretty ambitious. I don't think most car salesman make what GD thinks they do (You could find his location and Glassdoor it. Average is like 31,000 a year)

Especially when you're selling economy cars.

EDIT: I see you worked in the industry, so you'd know better than I do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was wildly successful because I didn't bring any crap with me and I didn't act like a salesman.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I did in the car business. After 2 years I had more repeat business and people bringing their friends/family then any other person at the dealership, owners son included. Next I did finance and trade ins for a year, sold less warranties and BS by the numbers but made way more gross. And so on to running a few dealerships. I hate when they say all salesmen as assholes. I have many handwritten letters and online reviews, and never one complaint.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hate it when sales folks do that upside down writing thing... I went to one of those resort places and sat in for 3 hours on the sales pitch thing to get a free stay... they always do that. It is extremely annoying.
View Quote

Those are my favorite.

I listen to the sales pitch and all that jazz, but then I just tell them no thank you and leave.

I like the meetings because I get to see the interaction between the salesmen and the people they are selling to. It helps me become better at my job.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That might be pretty ambitious. I don't think most car salesman make what GD thinks they do (You could find his location and Glassdoor it. Average is like 31,000 a year)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around here, after Katrina rolled through town and destroyed everything, car salesmen around here cranked 80-90k that year selling toyotas. This is from a salesman.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's getting close to what I'll pay in taxes this year
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

self employed or W2?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
when I buy a car, after the test drive I make an offer and that s that.  take it or leave it.  if they are one red cent over the amount I offer I walk.  Im not emotionally invested.  now granted I make an offer that I feel is reasonable, not the great deal in the history of cars.  

I usually preface it with "I believe my offer is reasonable, it is what the car is worth to me.  I could offer you less and we can play games but instead I'm going to make one reasonable offer you can take it or leave it...it s a price that isn't going to make you happy and it s a price that isn't going to make me happy, it s a price I think is reasonable for this car and I am not willing to pay anymore for it"

it almost always works out with private sellers and the last two times it worked out with dealers although the last time the guy had to come out and ask me to come back in twice as I walked out to my car.  he actually sold me the car for $100 less than my price and wasted an hour of my time along the way.  most of the time this doesn't workout with dealers and I leave.
View Quote

I go in knowing what I want to pay. I tell the sales guy to give me his absolute best price. He gets one chance. If it's nowhere near the number I am going to pay, I'm out the door. If it's reasonably close then we can talk.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your paying that much in taxes then uncle Sam is closing on you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Dealing with guys like that isn't a problem if you go in prepared.  You walk onto the lot knowing what car you want, and how much you're willing to pay.  When they start in with that bullshit, you take control of the conversation, and you offer your price.  If they don't accept it, you leave.  It's that easy.  Chances are, unless your offering price is a bullshit price, that they'll be calling you in a day or two.  Once they call you back, you own them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I go in knowing what I want to pay. I tell the sales guy to give me his absolute best price. He gets one chance. If it's nowhere near the number I am going to pay, I'm out the door. If it's reasonably close then we can talk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My assistant bought a brand new suburban last year and she went to the local dealer first and told them to get her the best price they had and she told them she was also talking to a larger dealer.

Well the local guy comes back with a price, so she says "are you sure this is your best price because I am buying today" Home boy says, yes it is!

So, she goes to the other dealer and buys the suburban for 4500 less. She was paying cash so it really mattered.

When she gets back she runs into the local salesman at the coffee shop and he asked her where she bought the car because he saw it. So she tells him and how much she paid for it.

The local guys then gets all butt hurt and says, "well I could have matched that price"

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dealing with guys like that isn't a problem if you go in prepared.  You walk onto the lot knowing what car you want, and how much you're willing to pay.  When they start in with that bullshit, you take control of the conversation, and you offer your price.  If they don't accept it, you leave.  It's that easy.  Chances are, unless your offering price is a bullshit price, that they'll be calling you in a day or two.  Once they call you back, you own them.
View Quote

Pretty much, you just need to know your numbers and then be able to walk away.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh I should clarify so we don't get a bunch of hopefuls running out to make 150k. You are aright, I would say 90% of sales guys across the US makes what you said. If you have a good used car dealership, or selling highline cars you can get into that range.  The guys at Subaru/Toyota etc. if they are making 125k and up are working almost 6 days a week and running around like crazy. I did hear of from an owner of a BMW store in MD that he had a sales KID (early 20's) that hustled like crazy making 250k a year.  

My take from the video is that this was a sales manager/GM/owner or something along those lines who was pissed about his sales guys just splitting the difference and taking the easy way out instead of trying to hold more gross.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again I don't know. I just looked up "care salesman" on Glassdoor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#37]
the last few vehicles ive helped people buy, ive ran into sales people like that.  Imo, its pretty easy to "negotiate"  depending on if its new or used... i just look up the price of the vehicle (and mileage if used), options, ect and see what people are getting them for.  i also have called a few dealers and got their "asking" price for said car.    I dont go in there low balling them, ie saying i want 30k for a 45k vehicle, cause that will just turn them off as well.  but imo, the biggest thing is walking away.  i tell them up front if they try that 4-square bullshit or take more than 30 mins of my time by going back and forth to their manager, im leaving. Usually we get close to a price, but when I leave, i usually get a call back later in the day or next day.  i tell them it will cost them $1000 for me to come back since now they are on my time.  *usually get a laugh* but when i get there and they dont have that $1000 off, i get up and walk out which they usually will end up taking some more $$ off but usually i get oil changes, bed liners, ect thrown in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#38]
If he is that good of a salesman, then why is he still selling cars at 70 years of age or so? If he is that good, he could have retired at 50, or 55. I'm in that business, I've seen it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#39]
My attention span is too short to process the pitch.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If he is that good of a salesman, then why is he still selling cars at 70 years of age or so? If he is that good, he could have retired at 50, or 55. I'm in that business, I've seen it.
View Quote

He owns his own sales training company.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I can't stand salesman like that. They can either cut the bullshit or I won't do business with them.
View Quote

These guys are successful because they know when you walk through the door if that BS will work on you.  To his credit, he didn't make any outright lies to my casual observation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#42]
While he is very convincing, we are lucky we have the internet these days.  No need for dealing with that mess anymore.  Last time I bought a car it went like this (insert fictional details).

1.  As you can see my wife is very pregnant and I will be buying a new car within the next 2 weeks.  I don't want a new car but I don't really have a choice.  I will be visiting all Honda dealerships within reasonable distance and whoever makes the best out-the-door deal makes the sale.
2.  I want a 2016 Honda Pilot LX with the 4WD, towing package, and running boards.  I prefer blaze orange or neon pink in color.
3.  I know I can get this exact car for $28,787 delivered through the USAA/Costco/Sam's etc car service (have the printout with you).
4.  Financing is not a problem or I might pay cash. I'm more interested in your best out-the-door price and I'll take care of the rest.

Collect best prices from the closest 4 dealerships and go from there.  If 2 quotes are close to each other see if one salesman can beat the other.  Only deal in terms of out-the-door price, no fuzzy math necessary.  

Worked for me and I got a very favorable price.  I ended up financing through them because you can't beat the nation-wide promotional 0.9% financing for 5 years but they don't need to know that until I've decided who has the best deal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

self employed or W2?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

self employed or W2?

Both, but referencing W2 above
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Stopped watching at 7 minutes. That's about the time I would've gotten up and walked out.

Over $600 a month for a Civic? A fucking Civic? Is that guy on crack!?!?!

The past two times I've bought a car I've walked into the dealership with the price of the vehicle I'm willing to pay. The first time was my 2013 F-150 and I got it for the price I said. The second time was my wife's '16 Ford Escape and we got it for $3k less than I said I was willing to pay. Both times it worked out in my favor.
View Quote

Dont you get it?  The buyer fell for that crap for the same reason he has shitty credit and therefore a huge payment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
While he is very convincing, we are lucky we have the internet these days.  No need for dealing with that mess anymore.  Last time I bought a car it went like this (insert fictional details).

1.  As you can see my wife is very pregnant and I will be buying a new car within the next 2 weeks.  I don't want a new car but I don't really have a choice.  I will be visiting all Honda dealerships within reasonable distance and whoever makes the best out-the-door deal makes the sale.
2.  I want a 2016 Honda Pilot LX with the 4WD, towing package, and running boards.  I prefer blaze orange or neon pink in color.
3.  I know I can get this exact car for $28,787 delivered through the USAA/Costco/Sam's etc car service (have the printout with you).
4.  Financing is not a problem or I might pay cash. I'm more interested in your best out-the-door price and I'll take care of the rest.

Collect best prices from the closest 4 dealerships and go from there.  If 2 quotes are close to each other see if one salesman can beat the other. Only deal in terms of out-the-door price, no fuzzy math necessary.  

Worked for me and I got a very favorable price.  I ended up financing through them because you can't beat the nation-wide promotional 0.9% financing for 5 years but they don't need to know that until I've decided who has the best deal.
View Quote

100% I just went through that with the Navigator I am picking up on Thursday.

GA law prohibits a dealer from advertising a price in which you need to add dealer fees to.

Like, GA really gets pissy about it.

So, I literally narrowed down the vehicles I was interested in and then called the dealer for a buyers order, that cut's the shit right there.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
[uote]Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[uote]Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT: I see you worked in the industry, so you'd know better than I do.[/qote]

self employed or W2?

then I am impressed
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he does, he's a no-name with no credibility in this industry.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every. Time.

2 of those 3 don't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has 8321 you tube subscribers, where are your subscribers Freddie?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every. Time.

Then if being honest worked so well, they would all still be here.

They all have no haggle pricing.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top