Not giving an "F" is hard work.

Page 5 is mine!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just found this, Sub.  Enjoyed your comments and appreciate the kind words.

Let me tell my side of the story.

Subnet was exactly what I expected him to be.  We had never met face to face, but had posted and IMed each other for years.  I felt like I "knew" him, and it turned out that I did.  He is just as funny and just as interesting as you would imagine.  And, as some might not expect, he was a "gentleman", something that we respect down here in Texas.  I thoroughly enjoyed our visit, the shooting and the conversation.  We laughed all weekend and had a blast.

Sub, just to let you know, I did not have a chance to tell anyone in the Sunday School class that you were an Atheist.  And they never suspected, as you were a gentleman.  A couple of them commented about how nice a guy you seemed.

But also, just to let you know, when you posted that you were coming, several Christians on this forum sent me IMs telling me that they would be praying for you and they did.  Of course, I was also praying for you as I always do.

And this morning I went in to talk to my Pastor about something else and told him your story.  When I got ready to leave he asked if we could pray for you, and we did.

I also know that you know that as a Calvinist, I believe that the only reason you do not believe is that God hasn't called you yet.
 Yet.  My prayer is that He will do just that.

In the mean time, I am proud to call you my friend.

View Quote

Absolutely Old_Painless.

We are all in His great decree. We Christians are praying, not only for Sub, but for ALL, that Christ will draw them.

Romans 8 and 9 and John 6 are marvelous reads.

ETA:  And if you happen to read this post Sub, I have been praying for you, off and on, throughout the day today.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll tell you what it is, and maybe I'm spoiling my next lengthy update:

You already know that I'm an Atheist and libertarian. So by all rights, I'm good with pretty much anything that doesn't hurt anybody else. I'm as open minded and laid back ask they come. 

But at the same time, I'm NOT a libertine. And there's a part of me that feels like we've really lowered the bar too far. I don't want to fix anything that bugs me through the force of law, but I'd sure like it if we collectively decided to just be a-okay, 

If you're at a funeral - please for the love of God, don't show up in shorts and flip flops. I totally get that you're just as full of sorrow as I am, no matter what you're wearing. I totally get that that strictly speaking, the clothes you're wearing don't actually reflect the real sorrow you feel. Got it. Totally get it. But for the love of God, please wear a suit. Just do it. Please? And honestly, please spend a couple few dollars to make sure it fits. I swear to God, your tailor wants it to look good on you. He really does. Promise. 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of things don't technically matter. Lots of things still have meaning. Sometimes it takes a while to appreciate how valuable and important "a meaning" can be.

I'll tell you what it is, and maybe I'm spoiling my next lengthy update:

You already know that I'm an Atheist and libertarian. So by all rights, I'm good with pretty much anything that doesn't hurt anybody else. I'm as open minded and laid back ask they come. 

But at the same time, I'm NOT a libertine. And there's a part of me that feels like we've really lowered the bar too far. I don't want to fix anything that bugs me through the force of law, but I'd sure like it if we collectively decided to just be a-okay, 

If you're at a funeral - please for the love of God, don't show up in shorts and flip flops. I totally get that you're just as full of sorrow as I am, no matter what you're wearing. I totally get that that strictly speaking, the clothes you're wearing don't actually reflect the real sorrow you feel. Got it. Totally get it. But for the love of God, please wear a suit. Just do it. Please? And honestly, please spend a couple few dollars to make sure it fits. I swear to God, your tailor wants it to look good on you. He really does. Promise. 

The Apostle Paul expressed it like this, "All things are lawful, but not all things are beneficial." - I Corinthians 5:12
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh, that it were so.

I love my church, but wish we would sing more of the old hymns of the church.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

" I'm looking at you, youth pastor with the jeans, body forming shirt, and faux hawk haircut"

my apologies... I read that wrong and thoulght he was talking about the church you attend and not a general statement

That's me being a goof ball, and busting some poor guy's balls.

He doesn't attend anything even close to a new age church. 

Let me guess

Rock of Ages, Roll is Called up Yonder, and Old Rugged Cross were the hymns.

Oh, that it were so.

My church back in Iowa would begin every service with a classic hymn, then our worship time after greetings and announcements would be more contemporary stuff.  At the end of a Communion service we'd sing How Great Thou Art.  I miss those folks.

I love my new church, too, it's more energetic and denominationally eclectic, but still doctrinally grounded in the Word.

Sub, I appreciate your write up and your considerate words.  Apart from you sandbagging your shooting skill, I had little doubt that the weekend would turn out exactly as it has.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If I never had to sing (or listen) to another contemporary song, I would be a happy man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My church back in Iowa would begin every service with a classic hymn, then our worship time after greetings and announcements would be more contemporary stuff.  At the end of a Communion service we'd sing How Great Thou Art.  I miss those folks.

If I never had to sing (or listen) to another contemporary song, I would be a happy man.

I find this to be odd. All Christians I know detest contemporary Christian music as do all of the atheist I know. Who actually likes this stuff enough for there to be enough money in it to keep making it?

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The question I ask everyone that I know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I find this to be odd. All Christians I know detest contemporary Christian music as do all of the atheist I know. Who actually likes this stuff enough for there to be enough money in it to keep making it?  

Probably the electronic synthesizer  lobby. Not that the frozen chosen boogie much, but when I get down I want a good thundering organ.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the post.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You know, a few years ago, I had a long and lengthy argument with Bohr_Adam over wearing a hat indoors. 

He considered it uncouth. I said it didn't technically matter. We went back and forth, as one does on an Internet forum. 

You know what? He doesn't know it, but a few years later - I agree with him. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have much use for religion but going to Old Painless' Sunday School would be fun.
<div>

</div>
Lots of people don't have much in the way of dress clothes anymore. I went to the funeral of a politically connected matriarch of a large family. The only people in suits were lawyers and some cops who would own them anyway for work. A few older guys had sports coats. One relative had a t shirt on.

You know, a few years ago, I had a long and lengthy argument with Bohr_Adam over wearing a hat indoors. 

He considered it uncouth. I said it didn't technically matter. We went back and forth, as one does on an Internet forum. 

You know what? He doesn't know it, but a few years later - I agree with him. 

The man sitting at the desk next to me went on for some time about how he didn't want to go to a church that required him to dress up.  He is a sincere believer, yet he is hung up on this one point to a degree I don't quite get.  I am a Mormon.  Within the Church there is a semi-official uniform; to wit, white shirt, tie, slacks, dress shoes, suit coat or sport coat if you prefer.  My buddy views it as not wanting to have to compete with others about how nicely they are dressed.  Never in my life have I worried about how 'nicely' I dressed compared to someone else at church.  I dress the way I do because it reflects on how much respect I have for God and Christ.  While I wouldn't ever go out and buy gaudy things, I will dress better for church than for work, as well as I can afford to (not buying Armani, but I did recently acquire a suit after over a decade without, still feels funny).

It seems strange to me that people think that dressing down for going to worship and learn about what is the single most important thing in life might be appropriate.  Blows me away.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But still, I harbor a great deal of respect and admiration for the Biblical culture that actually raised me. You heard that right - I'm actually crediting something I don't even believe in for making me the okie dokie guy I am today. You can't shake it. 

View Quote

I have went through life wavering between a believer and as an agnostic, and I still think raising children in a Christian society is the way to go, even when I didn't believe. Between my grandmothers spiritual upbringing of me, and the Boy Scout role models I had, I still abide by most of the rules of religion, and have given my kids the opportunity to make their own minds up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
O_P, you familiar with this song?

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I grew up in Texas, most of my friends were southern baptist. They like every religion have there good apples and bad apples, true believers and sunday only believers. I respect the religion because it teaches people to be like Christ and do wonderful things for the community.

Sadly there is bad blood between them and my religion, I visited my friends southern baptist church a couple times and found the people wonderful and the message interesting. On my third visit they asked what my beliefs were, I told them and was surprised

when the open acceptance towards me turned into belittling my beliefs and telling me not to come back when I refused to disavow my beliefs. I personally think it was a bad apple of a youth pastor and not the norm but it left a bad taste of religion in general.

America will continue to divide when people with similar moral/political beliefs but different religious beliefs have strife because they do not follow the same religious beliefs. Arfcom religion threads are an example of that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I grew up in Texas, most of my friends were southern baptist. They like every religion have there good apples and bad apples, true believers and sunday only believers. I respect the religion because it teaches people to be like Christ and do wonderful things for the community.

Sadly there is bad blood between them and my religion, I visited my friends southern baptist church a couple times and found the people wonderful and the message interesting. On my third visit they asked what my beliefs were, I told them and was surprised

when the open acceptance towards me turned into belittling my beliefs and telling me not to come back when I refused to disavow my beliefs. I personally think it was a bad apple of a youth pastor and not the norm but it left a bad taste of religion in general.

America will continue to divide when people with similar moral/political beliefs but different religious beliefs have strife because they do not follow the same religious beliefs. Arfcom religion threads are an example of that.
View Quote

What are your beliefs? Oh and GTFO!

Not really.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, I was not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/wfyutFUdUEw

No, I was not.

I really like it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, I was not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/wfyutFUdUEw

No, I was not.

You might like some of the Vertical Church Band stuff, too.  It's contemporary, but not "Christian-Radio" contemporary.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Every time my mom wants me to go back, I remind her of how ostracized I was after my divorce.  I didn't cheat.  I divorced an abusive piece of shit.  I got sick of the hypocrisy.
I only set foot in there for funerals.  Before that it was for weddings, namely my own, so I just say no.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Great post.  In my time on the site here, I've noticed that you and I have virtually the same take and attitude with regards to religion.

I enjoy the times I go to our church for various services and events (Marriage, Baptisms, First Communions, etc.), despite being a non-believer.  I enjoyed religion classes at my Catholic High School back in the 80's.  So much to learn...

I hold no ill-will toward people of faith, nor do I believe that I'm somehow more right than they are, or smarter than anyone else in this regard.  

In some ways, I wish that I was a believer.

Again, great post.  I'll admit, I'm a bit jealous.  Spending a weekend with O_P shooting and churching sounds like time well-spent.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]
My daughter attends an Episcopalian church, and I gladly attended her baptism and some services that she's proud of.

I dress up, act like a normal human, smile and make small talk. It's a good environment for her, she gets something out of it, so I support her. The people there are nice, and earnest, and I appreciate that.

But, not for her sake I'd never step foot in a church again. As I've gotten older it's gotten more concrete in me that I feel a great sadness that all of the good of religion must come at the cost of people devoting themselves to superstition and myth. I don't begrudge them their beliefs, however, just as foreign to my nature as a thing can be.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

One guy teaching about bible can be cool.

Get a group of people together in the name of religion (or anything for that matter) and you'll have scheming, power plays, abuse, lying, corruption, and all sorts of soap opera behavior.

Raised as a Catholic.
View Quote

The problems you listed are common in any large group of people, regardless of whether religion is involved.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice.  Waiting for the church service summary.

Sub, are you sure you just didn't brush out the cuffs in your picture.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience, the folks pushing for "contemporary" music are usually middle-aged congregants who are uncomfortable with their age and feel a need to imitate pop culture in order to appeal to a younger crowd.  What they don't realize is that the younger crowd is more likely to be drawn to a church whose traditions have deep historical roots than one that offers a poor imitation of the last decade's pop culture.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Beware of frosted tips and bedazzled jeans on your pastors.

(See also: naked gunman)

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My feeling (at the moment, in Texas, in the United States) is that absent a cohesive ideology that is otherwise non-religious, our best bet is to embrace what we already have, and know works. 

There's no sense in reinventing the wheel. I'm telling you as sure as I'm sitting here, that the State (and perhaps country) that I live in would be a much better place if there was more of what I saw last Sunday, and not less. And I'm the poster boy of "less" that's saying it. 

After Sunday School, I just sat through a Sunday sermon preached by a man who waxed poetic for the better part of 45 minutes on the importance of family - something I've long been super enthusiastic about, as a solution to that which ails us. I agreed with nearly every word he said. I don't agree with how he got there, but I do agree with where he ended up. And I'm telling you that the crowd of people that heard it (to include me) would have never been there, if the building they met in was a monument to, and gathering place of, Atheists - even Atheists with a cohesive political or philosophical ideology...neither of which really exist, in practice. Getting us on the same page is not unlike herding cats. It's fuckin' hopeless. 

I believe in what you're saying. All of this is technically possible without religion, belief in a higher power, etc, etc. The real core of it all is community, and shared values. But a secular version of that doesn't really exist in practice. I know something that does exist in practice, and I think it'd work, were it more widespread than it is. I don't believe in any of the core teachings (I am what I am), but I do sincerely believe that we'd be a better country if most of us behaved like the ~100 people I saw last Sunday. I mean it, too. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if "I'm just not interested" can really be described as "an excuse".

Religion and churches certainly have their benefits. They create a sense of community, a community with a shared ideology based on mutual support as a binding and defining factor.

Humans operate at their finest in a strong community. I just happen to believe that you can achieve the same benefits through any shared positive ideology, even if that ends up being a community of Bronies. I consider it to be a function of humanity, not some greater power.

None of which is a reflection on whether or not a greater power exists. I have no problem with that concept, I just doubt that Jesus is really interested in peering down and judging me for whacking off to midget porn.

My feeling (at the moment, in Texas, in the United States) is that absent a cohesive ideology that is otherwise non-religious, our best bet is to embrace what we already have, and know works. 

There's no sense in reinventing the wheel. I'm telling you as sure as I'm sitting here, that the State (and perhaps country) that I live in would be a much better place if there was more of what I saw last Sunday, and not less. And I'm the poster boy of "less" that's saying it. 

After Sunday School, I just sat through a Sunday sermon preached by a man who waxed poetic for the better part of 45 minutes on the importance of family - something I've long been super enthusiastic about, as a solution to that which ails us. I agreed with nearly every word he said. I don't agree with how he got there, but I do agree with where he ended up. And I'm telling you that the crowd of people that heard it (to include me) would have never been there, if the building they met in was a monument to, and gathering place of, Atheists - even Atheists with a cohesive political or philosophical ideology...neither of which really exist, in practice. Getting us on the same page is not unlike herding cats. It's fuckin' hopeless. 

I believe in what you're saying. All of this is technically possible without religion, belief in a higher power, etc, etc. The real core of it all is community, and shared values. But a secular version of that doesn't really exist in practice. I know something that does exist in practice, and I think it'd work, were it more widespread than it is. I don't believe in any of the core teachings (I am what I am), but I do sincerely believe that we'd be a better country if most of us behaved like the ~100 people I saw last Sunday. I mean it, too. 

While I agree with the possible benefits some religions can have on society, I am skeptical of how easy they are corrupted or taken literally by flawed human beings. I believe if everyone was as decent and reasonable as Old_Painless and Subnet it wouldn't be much of an issue, but they aren't. Most people fall into either the Jerry Falwell or Christopher Hitchens camps and won't admit they may not know everything, or worse, may be wrong. I think arrogance is a highly underrated threat to humanity.

Too many people, frightened of not knowing (about creation of life/universe, what happens after death, the meaning of life, why or how things work , etc.) are too eager to jump on a bandwagon of an ideology to put themselves at ease about their personal fears and doubts. It's healthy to admit to ourselves we don't know certain things, and many of life's mysteries may possibly never be known.

The only way belief in a higher power works in a free society is if everyone leaves everyone else alone unless they commit an act of theft or aggression. This includes trying to dictate what others do with their own lives. Holy books like the bIble, etc. are great as stories for teaching and learning life lessons and a very basic idea of morality (if certain extreme examples are omitted or taken as historical context). If they are taught as a whole, complete and uncompromisable way to live as an individual and as a society, it's all but inevitable to bring the most extreme and violent points of the dark ages into the present day.

If there is a creator who watches over humanity, I wonder if he'd be pleased with most people, whether they call themselves believers or not.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone I know loves it compared to the older stuff. I actually enjoy older hymns that have been remade to be played with a full band and sometimes with a new chorus, but I don't really like traditional hymns very much.

Disclaimer: I'm 23, a musician, and I regularly lead worship with some friends, so I'm very involved in not only listening, but playing CCM. Most of it models Country, Rock, and some Pop templates very closely, just with Christian lyrics...ie, it sounds very comfortable and familiar to most people because it mimics what is played on radio stations.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Sub, I'm happy for you. You are a good man.
Never met O_P but it sounds like he's someone good to have as a friend.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Excellent thread Subnet. I haven't read anywhere near all the replies, but I did want to throw in my 2 cents (of course).

I have never known a nicer group of people than the many I knew when I attended church and went on church trips. After I moved I stopped going but I don't consider myself an athiest. I had to many profound experiences.
I do wonder why it requires religion as a central point, like some others have said. A benevolent and altruistic (if you believe in altruism) group would be an interesting thing, I'm not sure what it would take to pull it off.

Also, I'm eagerly awaiting your update.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I appreciate your honesty.

Thanks for posting and welcome to Texas..

Bishop3
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Christian contemporary used to be really good back in the 90s, but the majority of it nowadays seems almost as brain-dead as the old going-through-the-motions hopeless and depressing hymns.

Most of the churches I've visited in recent years play contemporary. Our church did as well with a very small number of classics mixed in (I was the drummer ).

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Several years ago a good friend of mine, who is an Ardent Texan and LEO;  his children were killed in an automobile accident. They were 18 and 11. They were traveling to college in Billings following behind their Parents car.  The Daughter inadvertently crossed the center line and struck another vehicle headon killing all occupants.

I've been a professional Soldier all my adult life and have been to at least a dozen military funerals of Soldiers of mine. Attending the funeral for my friends children and watching a Boy Scout Troop act as pall bearers with a 3/4 sized coffin severely shook my faith in God.   In fact I may have strayed for several years.  My Wife even commented that their funeral affected me more than my 2 tours in Iraq and 2 tours in Afghanistan, it was that significant.

I was angry at God.

I was incensed.

How could he allow this?  How could he permit the Childrens' Father to be the first responder? How could it not shake my friends faith in having survived and witnessed this?

He never lost his faith and I can't explain why, which is what amazes me.

His faith his what strengthened me to not totally lose faith altogether and threads like this are what make me not lose faith in this country.

God bless you both and God bless the USA.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Great thread Sub.

Similar to what others and you have said yalls experiences are, I drifted away from the church as I grew up (was raised in a slightly different evangelical protestant flavor than Southern Baptist) and my thoughts on it generally mirror your own.  I tolerate occasional returns. Personally I enjoy the traditional hymns more than the contemporary "music".  Also agree on the dressing up thing nowadays, and understand it now with a little more time under my belt than as a teenager.

I think an understanding of the Bible and Christianity is needed to fully understand what we (the US and, by extension, the west) are, where we came from, what helped form us and why. Not that we all have to agree to the minutiae and doctrines, but Christianity is/was obviously a huge influence on our culture and an operational picture of such cannot be drawn without including and understanding Christianity's effects. I think this is something that has been lost and not for the better.

Also glad to see that O_P and crew down there treated you well (like there was any doubt). As the son of Golden Triangle/Big Thicket families I always enjoy going back even if I kinda have to claim Houston as home now.

And seems like you might be getting on on why we love Texas so too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Great op, Subnet.

I haven't read all 5 pages of the thread, I'll pick back up on page 3.

One observation on churches.

I grew up attending a small Methodist church. Maybe 100 members. The few pastors we had always got to know every member and had a personal relationship with us, as much as possible. Yes, Sunday best was worn to church, not to try and impress anyone but as a sign of respect.

I still consider myself a member even though I'm 2 and a half hours away.

And I've attended services at small churches in and around Austin and I get the same feeling of community and fellowship.

I've also attended as a guest of friends services at "mega churches" and those just leave me cold. Any church where the pastor or priest doesn't know by name every member of his congregation is too large.

Auditoriums with 20,000 people is not a church in my book.

I could tell a story about a friend and his family looking to join a large Catholic church here and the 10 page application he was given, but that's best left for another time.

I'm happy that attending O_P's church was a good experience.  I knew it would be.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I read your entire post and it was a good read! Your belief system is very similar to mine and it sounds like you arrived pretty much from the same background that I had. Even though I have a lot questions about formal religions, I agree with you that this country and this world would be a better place if more people shared experiences similar to what you had on your weekend with O-P.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I love threads like these.
View Quote

It's sooooooo much better than the political garbage we have been suffering through these last months isn't it?

And almost everyone in this thread has been polite and no one is swinging purses at each other.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I could tell a story about a friend and his family looking to join a large Catholic church here and the 10 page application he was given, but that's best left for another time.

View Quote

Application? How do you not just... "turn up"?

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Subnet....instead of labeling yourself as an atheist or agnostic...how about just saying you're 'not religious'?  That's what I do
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Every time my mom wants me to go back, I remind her of how ostracized I was after my divorce.  I didn't cheat.  I divorced an abusive piece of shit.  I got sick of the hypocrisy.
I only set foot in there for funerals.  Before that it was for weddings, namely my own, so I just say no.

View Quote

Not 100% sure of your location (I have a guess) but if you are within an hour of McComb I invite you to attend First Baptist in Summit. I drive an hour one way to attend and it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would love to hear about this. Is that normal for a Catholic church?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never heard of it. The closest I've seen is that some parishes like you to complete a slip of paper with your contact details for their own records.

What happens if you turn up to Mass and you've not submitted an application? Do they turn you away? Ban you from receiving Communion? How exactly does this application system work?

Might just be Americans over-complicating things again

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#44]

I am so ready for this election to be over.

View Quote

You and me both
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Oh, that it were so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

" I'm looking at you, youth pastor with the jeans, body forming shirt, and faux hawk haircut"

my apologies... I read that wrong and thoulght he was talking about the church you attend and not a general statement

That's me being a goof ball, and busting some poor guy's balls.

He doesn't attend anything even close to a new age church. 

Let me guess

Rock of Ages, Roll is Called up Yonder, and Old Rugged Cross were the hymns.

Oh, that it were so.

the Old Hymns are the ones that have heart. I groan inside when I see a new age song. I just cannot force myself to like them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally REALLY like some of it. And then I really hate some of it too. I like a good deal of David Crowder's music, Needtobreathe, some Francesca Batistelli stuff, lots of others.

But now, Christian metal? I love Christian metal
EXTOL!!!!!!
Living Sacrifice

And if you want some thinking man's "Christian rock"
Thrice
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I prefer the old stuff but it needs to be sung with some passion and not like a dirge.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top