Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/25/2016 12:47:55 AM EDT
How extreme was the thermal drift? I know that the battery life is terrible. I am thinking about reliability, durability.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I havnt noticed anything with my 512 yet but I wont be buying another one anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had no issues with either thermal drift or battery life in my 512.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Like paper of tissue.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I havnt noticed anything with my 512 yet but I wont be buying another one anytime soon.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How extreme was the thermal drift? I know that the battery life is terrible. I am thinking about reliability, durability.
View Quote

They are apparently good enough that SF have been using them for like the last 15 years or so.
Generally  when it comes to guns take the consensus of Arfcom and do the exact opposite; it's what SF seem to do
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They are apparently good enough that SF have been using them for like the last 15 years or so.
Generally  when it comes to guns take the consensus of Arfcom and do the exact opposite; it's what SF seem to do
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha! Amen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

While looking at special operation guys gear for inspiration isn't bad, wanting everything they have without context is tarded.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:55:20 AM EDT
[#8]
My EXPS 3-0's zero drifted by over 4 inches at 100 yards twice within a 6 month period without hard use, extreme temperature changes, or changes to the rifle. I don't know if it's a lemon or not but I'm returning it for the refund. Already have a T2 in a Geissele mount to replace it and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]
No drift and no battery issues in 11+ years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got five of them.

Three on AR's, one on a PS90 and the last on an AUG. Haven't really had a problem with them at all, and if there is one thing Minnesota has, it's temperature variations!

The only real problem I've had with the EOTech is the AA batteries invariably end up leaking in there and it fucks up the little grommets in the bottom of the battery housing, making them rust. I've gotten the little replacement thingies that slide into the housing, and those are great. And the EOTech does this with every Battery brand too. I really want to put those lithium AA's in there, but am afraid there might be a fire.

All that said, I won't be buying another either. The aimpoint is a better system and the Leupold firedot is so incredibly more versatile I see no reason whatsoever to screw around with anything from L3 from here on out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've had no issues with either thermal drift or battery life in my 512.
View Quote
Me either, 10 years or so now too.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a number of Eotech sights, various models.  I also returned two Eotech sights that were powered by "N" size batteries.  The battery life was problematic and they had parasitic battery drain when turned off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#13]
double post
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:06:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well that was a weird double post
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My internet cut out
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an old one that takes the weird "N" cells.  Works fine and seems to hold zero.  I have to take the batteries out when I'm not using it because it seems to drain batteries sometimes, for some reason.  Therefore, it's relegated to a 9mm AR range toy.  I'd send it back to the maker but I don't want to wait 10 months for a refund.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#17]
It's probably overblown compared to drift on other red dots. There was a test done by a poster on another forum a while ago who found Aimpoints actually have even worse thermal drift than EOTechs. Trijicon's MROs did experience drift, but it was a lot less than both EOTech and Aimpoint, FWIW.

Full disclosure: I own one EOTech 558 and nothing from Trijicon or Aimpoint.

I've had no real issues with the 558 holding zero. That being said, southern Texas' temps tend to vary from "hot" to "not as hot" so I'd probably be less likely to encounter drift than a state that has four seasons.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I am a iron sights guy.

That said, I have had three EOTechs.

My first one died on me the morning of my first LaRue Multi Gun Match. I had to shoot the whole damn thing with my BUIS, and the EOTech still attached.

I currently have one on my SBR and one on my pistol that I haven't converted yet (yes, the tax stamp is in).

I took my SBR to the range on a sunny September Texas Wednesday and I couldn't see the damn reticle for shit.

I'm sticking with iron sights from here on out.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

While looking at special operation guys gear for inspiration isn't bad, wanting everything they have without context is tarded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say that generally these days the stuff SF has isn't just different but it is flat out the best.
We have a much more robust arms industry than we did decades ago and a lot of the stuff that SF ends up with is cream of the crop and stuff that the army is just too stodgy to buy for the regular troops like Glocks
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am a iron sights guy.

That said, I have had three EOTechs.

My first one died on me the morning of my first LaRue Multi Gun Match. I had to shoot the whole damn thing with my BUIS, and the EOTech still attached.

I currently have one on my SBR and one on my pistol that I haven't converted yet (yes, the tax stamp is in).

I took my SBR to the range on a sunny September Texas Wednesday and I couldn't see the damn reticle for shit.

I'm sticking with iron sights from here on out.

View Quote

Clearly none of the SF guys who have been using them in the desert have used them on sunny days.
If only they knew the dangers they would switch to irons
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

What model?

My 558 gets so damn bright at the higher settings you'd have to be on the surface of the sun to not see it due to ambient light. Like it will literally leave an afterimage on your retina from looking at it for more than a half second and the whole housing is glowing; that bright. Generally two to four clicks up from the starting brightness will take care of a Texas afternoon for me, which is nowhere near full brightness.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I had two.  One of them had to be sent in to be fixed when the reticle got all wonky.  They fixed it.  I thought my ammo or my gun or my shooting was all messed up because every few months I would have to re zero my guns with eitechs on them.  I'd go to the range and they would just be several inches off at 100.

Wasn't till after rote had announced that they had major problems that I put two and two together.  I live in Alaska and would shoot in some pretty serious temperature differentials.  I noticed an obvious issue long before they said they had problems. I just didn't know why.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#23]
My 512.A65 works fine, so I kept it. Then again, I'm not using it in combat in the winter or high desert. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys crack me up.  I'm sure the company just made up the problem when they announced that all of their optics had inherent flaws.  

What does SF have to do with the question?   They certainly have an entirely different set of needs and support structure than I do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:33:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Probably wouldn't notice it unless it was in front of a magnifier on an accurate rifle. But that's where I had one of mine.

I thought the problem was on my end. Seemed like every few months I had to re-zero that rifle. When the facts came out, it all made sense.

Aimpoint T2 on anything with a magnifier, T1 2moa if no magnifier for all the things now.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Eotech, or L3 Communications, was caught withholding information about issues they knew about.  After that, I'll never buy another one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Deployed to Afghanistan for 14 mo back in 2011 with my personal 512 Eotech.  Had no accuracy issues out to 600 meters at any temps i've dealt with. Same set of Duracells lasted me from 2011 to 2014 when they started leaking. Cleaned the terminals and threw in a new set of batteries. Looked like it got thrown down a really long driveway a 100 times after i brought it back from deployment.      Green Beret friends ODA team runs them on there LWRC uppers. No issues, even runs one on his personal SBR.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I have 3, two have no issue, one EXPS-2.0 was sent back for R&R, and was returned to me within 2 weeks.

As for zero drift, I have no issue, but I am in South Kalifornia, my issue is more likely dust than temp extreme.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I love EoTech sites and will continue use them and I plan on buying more but I have 5 EoTech sites all drain the battery when they are off. The safe queen guns that have EoTech on them I take the batteries out for storage, because in 6 months they are batteries dead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#30]
They have a propensity to fail even when treated as safe queens. Delaminating reticles, failed electronics, failed nitrogen purging on guns that have essentially spent their entire life in a climate controlled environment.

I wouldn't put one on a toy, let alone a tool that my life depended on.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:50:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Deployed to Afghanistan for 14 mo back in 2011 with my personal 512 Eotech.  Had no accuracy issues out to 600 meters at any temps i've dealt with. Same set of Duracells lasted me from 2011 to 2014 when they started leaking. Cleaned the terminals and threw in a new set of batteries. Looked like it got thrown down a really long driveway a 100 times after i brought it back from deployment.      Green Beret friends ODA team runs them on there LWRC uppers. No issues, even runs one on his personal SBR.
View Quote

How often did you turn it on?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know. All I see when I look through one is EOTech fucking the troops and lying to the government about performance. The only good thing those SOBs ever did was offer full refunds.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:01:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I love EoTech sites and will continue use them and I plan on buying more but I have 5 EoTech sites all drain the battery when they are off. The safe queen guns that have EoTech on them I take the batteries out for storage, because in 6 months they are batteries dead.
View Quote
That just sounds fucking stupid, I don't own a single red dot/reflex sight as all my optics are now variable tubes. But really, why would you subject yourself to such a pain in the ass for a rifle's optic. Having no batteries in the go to rifle's optic means you might as well not have had the shitty sight at all in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Had four in total. Returned two that were on a Beowulf. Reticle was slowly disappearing. EOTech covered both. My current Beowulf has an Aimpoint H1 on it with no difficulties.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:34:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

12hrs a day during entire deployment, Other than two weeks leave and the day or two I may of gotten off.  Most of my duty was at night - So I obviously had it dimmer.   When I got home, it was on the beater AR which maybe seen the range once per month.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:36:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've got five of them.

Three on AR's, one on a PS90 and the last on an AUG. Haven't really had a problem with them at all, and if there is one thing Minnesota has, it's temperature variations!

The only real problem I've had with the EOTech is the AA batteries invariably end up leaking in there and it fucks up the little grommets in the bottom of the battery housing, making them rust. I've gotten the little replacement thingies that slide into the housing, and those are great. And the EOTech does this with every Battery brand too. I really want to put those lithium AA's in there, but am afraid there might be a fire.

All that said, I won't be buying another either. The aimpoint is a better system and the Leupold firedot is so incredibly more versatile I see no reason whatsoever to screw around with anything from L3 from here on out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got five of them.

I had to replace the contacts in mine after the same thing.
Now I just replace the batteries every 6 months to try to prevent that.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:53:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Eo Tech paid a 25.6 MILLION DOLLAR fine to the US government for fraud involving their HWS and for knowing about their sights faults/failures and failing to report them as required in their contract.

Why anyone would buy products made by a company that purposefully and knowingly endangered our service members lives with substandard products for pure profits is beyond me.

A 25.6 million dollar settlement and the companies own admission their products are failure prone yet they didn't report the findings as required seems pretty damn objective to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Eo Tech paid a 25.6 MILLION DOLLAR fine to the US government for fraud involving their HWS and for knowing about their sights faults/failures and failing to report them as required in their contract.

Why anyone would buy products made by a company that purposefully and knowingly endangered our service members lives with substandard products for pure profits is beyond me.

A 25.6 million dollar settlement and the companies own admission their products are failure prone yet they didn't report the findings as required seems pretty damn objective to me.
View Quote

But it has that cool ring around the dot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:01:15 AM EDT
[#39]
I had two (down to one) EOTech 552s...I won't buy another.

I had both rebuilt by EOTech for being too dim in daylight conditions.  Excellent customer service.  Fresh back from rebuild, they worked great...but a couple of years later, and they're dim again, useless in daylight.

No more EOTechs for me, unless they come up with something a bit more reliable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:06:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

But.. but.. capitalism and stuff. They had to get that money otherwise it would have cost jobs.. and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:14:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I must have got a good one because it is dead nuts accurate....and I haven't changed the batteries in 2 years.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG that's literally what my one friend said. Seriously

He also says he never had accuracy issues

He uses a bumpfire stock and his shooting usually consists of blasting 200 rounds into the dirt, so he definitely would have noticed any accuracy issues
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:16:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Haha! Amen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha! Amen.

To be fair though, when a green beret's gear breaks or just doesn't work to their liking anymore, they get it replaced. When we buy something and it underperforms or just breaks, we're stuck with it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:48:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Little drift (over a 90 degree temp range) and no battery issues in two 512 units over 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#45]
can't say mine won't turn on.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Delta and DEVGRU still using them.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Eotech, or L3 Communications, was caught withholding information about issues they knew about.  After that, I'll never buy another one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Mine has only lasted about 10 years so far so I don't feel qualified as to make a statement on reliability yet.  I have to admit that while I was not a fan of it when I first got it, but after learning how to use it. I came to like it a lot.  It is not intended to be used to punch dime size holes in paper at 300 yards.  Real easy to get off a shot as you sweep by a target.  It's all about learning to use the tools that you have.  Not continually wish for what you don't have.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Pros: the fastest rds I've ever used.  Much easier to switch between targets.  

Cons: terrible battery life.  Batteries will leak and eat the terminals. Glass delaminates.

I owned a 552 for years.  It worked for two of those years.  Glass started to come apart and figured I'd use it anyway.  Then the battery springs took a set which would cause the sight to cut out under recoil.  I stretched the springs to fix.  Batteries leaked twice, the second time killing the sight.  When L3 offered a refund I couldn't box mine up fast enough.

Some believers say "sf uses them, good enough for me".  Problem is SF can pull a new one from supply, but I can't.  A $500 sight shouldn't have the problems I had.

If you still want one after the government lawsuit, don't cry when it craps out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#50]
I live in Ohio so this thermal drift stuff has dissuaded me from getting one, but I have always liked the style and reticle. Not a fan of the small window in theory but it never bothered me in practice when I did use them. I've always preferred Aimpoint either way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top