User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but husky isn't a pro saw
View Quote

When I was logging in MT, ID and OR, I used Stihl, Husqvarna and Jonsered. Those are the brands people who sawed for a

living used. I sawed for a living.

Echo, poulan and the rest were considered 'suzy-homemaker' grade.

Husqvarna is indeed considered professional grade if you don't need a bar over 20".
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

For the occasional user, it's hard to look past Echo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, in short. What kind of new saw does a guy need to buy who only cuts to clear dead fall on 40 acres and get enough firewood for deer camp and another 3-4 weekends in the winter?

Echo and Shindaiwa are now a merged company as of 2008, and Shindaiwa was a very good brand, so Echo should be good, but their "good" saws are in that 350-450 price range now, so good luck...

ETA: I mean good luck, because that price range seems to have a lot of quality in it for saws used by us homeowners.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a new Stihl 461 30" last year for a sawmill. It has some grunt for sure but it is not as far ahead of dads old 034AV Super as the cc difference would indicate. The EPA has really ripped the balls out of the new saws. With a 16" bar that 034 screams through green mesquite.

I've been running a pair of MS 260's clearing brush and taking down some bigger cedars lately. One 18" the other 20". I ran a tank full of gas through both this morning. For medium brush they are perfect but get into a 20" cedar or oak trunk and you're starting to push their limit. They'll do it but the lack of cc's quickly becomes apparent.

Before I got the 260's, a mid 90's vintage Echo CS 4400 was on brush/cedar duty. In fact It needs to be picked up from the shop right now with a new carb. That is a tough little saw. Build quality is probably on par with the newer pro grade Stihls. I don't know if the new pro grade Echos are as good but I have been eyeing an Echo CS 600 for a second firewood cutter.

I've got no use for a Husky, there is zero local support and I don't think I've ever even seen a Dolmer of any kind.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Stihl went to shit when they changed their model numbers.  Back when the professional saws started with a "0" they were kick ass saws.  I still regret selling my 082 or 084 (I got out of the business)  I can't remember the number but it was a great saw.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Echo 600p. Nice saw a bit tough to start if it sits a while.
Picked up an older Stihl MS440 magnum for $25 at a shore town yard sale.
Owner said the engine was seized. The brake was on. It runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have an Echo 600p. Nice saw a bit tough to start if it sits a while.
Picked up an older Stihl MS440 magnum for $25 at a shore town yard sale.
Owner said the engine was seized. The brake was on. It runs like a champ.
View Quote

I never get that lucky
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, in short. What kind of new saw does a guy need to buy who only cuts to clear dead fall on 40 acres and get enough firewood for deer camp and another 3-4 weekends in the winter?

590 Timber Wolf seems like a lot of saw for $400.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm still running my 10/10s. Only thing that will kill it is lack of parts that die due to the swill called ethanol they mix with gas.
View Quote

This...

I have two 10/10's. They are heavy, but I can't seem to kill them. Ethanol eats the fuel lines, so I keep spares on hand.
Fortunately parts are readily available for them.

I bought a new Husky 460 on sale a couple of years ago. I still haven't put gas in it. I doubt that I will until the Mac's die. May be a while...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
So, what can I find used for about $350 that I can pass down to my daughter?

I cut about three cords of firewood a year to heat my home. I currently have a poulan pro 18", but it's not cutting it (pun intended) anymore. I dislike the amount of time it takes to start it, the fact that it won't idle no matter how much adjustment to the carb, and the time it takes to get through a 20" hardwood log due to lack of power.

Should I pick up a 029? Is a 028 worth a crap? 034AV?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I forgot to say that I use 100LL av gas with 2 stroke oil for the same reason.  No ethanol and very stable.  The only disadvantage is that it's dyed blue, so you have to remember that you added the oil because you can't tell by looking.

I am using TruFuel in all my two-strokes.  Shit is insanely expensive, but I seem to have better results.  Easy starts on everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either lol, But Stihls are a beast! That is if you can get the sumbitch started

I've never had a problem since I followed the instructions.  Full choke, pull through until you get a burble.  Half choke, pull through and they start up.

If you keep pulling on full choke after that first burble or pop, you won't get it started for hours.
This is what I do, and my Stihl's start easy.  I also use TruFuel, so no ethonol and it has a stabilizer, so the gas stays good and no shitting up the carb.  Expensive, but I don't use them much.  I use it in my Echo line trimmer too.  Starts in 3 or 4 pulls every time.  

I forgot to say that I use 100LL av gas with 2 stroke oil for the same reason.  No ethanol and very stable.  The only disadvantage is that it's dyed blue, so you have to remember that you added the oil because you can't tell by looking.

I am using TruFuel in all my two-strokes.  Shit is insanely expensive, but I seem to have better results.  Easy starts on everything.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can do a hell of a lot with a 16" saw, and it won't get you so tired you make a stupid mistake that results in a ER visit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do a hell of a lot with a 16" saw, and it won't get you so tired you make a stupid mistake that results in a ER visit.

I think that is absolutely right.  I have 3 big saws, but my most recent purchase was the smallest Stihl they made.  Why swing around a 20" bar to limb a tree?  It is now my main saw for anything other than felling the big red oaks we have here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you get any issues with the lead in the carb or on the valves?  100LL is $4.39/gallon
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So, what can I find used for about $350 that I can pass down to my daughter?

I cut about three cords of firewood a year to heat my home. I currently have a poulan pro 18", but it's not cutting it (pun intended) anymore. I dislike the amount of time it takes to start it, the fact that it won't idle no matter how much adjustment to the carb, and the time it takes to get through a 20" hardwood log due to lack of power.

Should I pick up a 029? Is a 028 worth a crap? 034AV?
View Quote

Hands down a 034 over a 029.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Echo and Shindaiwa are now a merged company as of 2008, and Shindaiwa was a very good brand, so Echo should be good, but their "good" saws are in that 350-450 price range now, so good luck...

ETA: I mean good luck, because that price range seems to have a lot of quality in it for saws used by us homeowners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In regards to Echo, if you compare a Husky or Stihl to the equivalent Echo you will save close to $100.

$350-450 will get you a MS-290 or a 460 Rancher.  Both homeowner saws.  That same money will get you a 590 or 600p in Echo which is a pro grade saw.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you get any issues with the lead in the carb or on the valves?  100LL is $4.39/gallon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been using 100LL since 2008 (still using the same 15 gallons of it actually that I got back then) and haven't had any issues in my generator, chainsaws, or weed eater.

It costs more but I can fill up my cans with a credit card out at the local airport and not have to worry about it going bad for a long, long time.

ETA: 100LL is bad for anything with a catalytic converter just an FYI.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The EPA has fucked up everything two stroke.  Won't be long before we are seeing emissions equipment on chainsaws.
View Quote

My Makita 6421 has a catalytic converter.  I was going to swap the muffler out for a non cat muffler, but it pulls a loop of full comp chisel chain around just fine for now.  It bogs a little if I really lean into it with the bar buried, but other than that, it seems to have plenty of power.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#18]
OP lives in a trailer and seems obsessed with dogs..
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd look Into a paulan pro.  They can be had for under $200 At the big box stores. I'd take the 20" bar off and put an 18" on and buy 3 loops of woodland pro full comp, semi chisel chain and a file guide and files, and a pair of full wrap chaps from Bailey's.

I have a paulan/craftsman saw that I have heated my house with for about 10 years.  It's starting to show it's age, and I was wanting a bigger saw anyways so I got a Makita last year.  All I did was keep stabilized fuel in it, and clean it up every year before I put it away for the winter.

The bigger/nicer saws are more enjoyable to use, but that comes with a price$$$  If you want a nice saw for cheap, check the tool rental at home depot.  You can get the Makita saws for under $300 when they retire them.  They aren't allowed to sell them if they are junk.  If you can take care of tools and are only cutting a tree or so a year, there's no need to buy anything more than the paulan pro, IMHO.  You may even be served well by renting a saw when you need one.  That way you don't have to worry about maintenance.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14257485_1093271424084965_8889592781726699132_o.jpg

I just restored this.  Runs and sounds like a scalded dog.  Yeah I know it ain't a "pro" saw but it does what I needs it to do.  You guys all get your panties in a bunch way to much over chains saws.
View Quote

And... its a Mac-10.. so yeah!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In regards to Echo, if you compare a Husky or Stihl to the equivalent Echo you will save close to $100.

$350-450 will get you a MS-290 or a 460 Rancher.  Both homeowner saws.  That same money will get you a 590 or 600p in Echo which is a pro grade saw.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Echo is junk.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to be a Stihl fanboi till I started buying parts. Fuck that. In some instances, it's cheaper to buy a new saw than have something relatively simple fixed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 11 year old Husky Rancher with 20" bar and other than clean it every now and then, it runs.  Clearing fences, cutting firewood or a downed tree every now and then it runs fine.  After our last hurricane, most of the big box saws quit and mine just kept on running.  Don't know why I would change at this point.  I see Stihl's being sold everywhere, started to buy one, but didn't
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#24]
My first Stihl Weedeater was a tank, about 15 years ago.

I bought a new one about 3 years ago, and it has been such a huge piece of shit I threw it away.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Husky pro saws are probably the best saws out there, Dolmar is a close second. Stihl has gone to shit, the older saws were excellent, the new saws are crap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I used to be a Stihl fanboi till I started buying parts. Fuck that. In some instances, it's cheaper to buy a new saw than have something relatively simple fixed.
View Quote

The air filter for my rear handle MS200 is $36 fucking dollars  Even the parts guy said "holy shit!" when I ordered a spare.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Husky pro saws are probably the best saws out there, Dolmar is a close second. Stihl has gone to shit, the older saws were excellent, the new saws are crap.
View Quote
i have a dolmar 5105 and i'm a fanboi. i  think i'll get a 421 for trimming.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a sweet electric chain saw.. think it's craftsman
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously?????? I average 1.5 million bd ft a year and Husqvarna is the only brand I own. Good review OP, that orange saw is what all saws wish they could be!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Husky's are fucking badass, I bought an extra saw for just cutting brush basically, limbing fallen trees as I let 'em lie for a year or two before I cut 'em up, so just needed something small and handy, husky's cheapest one is like 200 bucks, can't remember the model number, 240 I think. Anyhoo, while limbing a couple that fell last year, I decided for shits and giggles to start cutting them up to see how the little saw would do in this green wet wood, motherfucker is a little buzzing maniac, cut about two cords worth of rounds in 30 minutes or so before the chain finally got too dull, even up to two-foot+ rounds with the 16" blade.

I'm sold. My 455 would cut a car in half.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what's preventing me from rebuilding the 4 saws that I have.  I'd like to make them nice, after years of neglect by the previous owner, but I'd be getting into new saw territory.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Husky's are fucking badass, I bought an extra saw for just cutting brush basically, limbing fallen trees as I let 'em lie for a year or two before I cut 'em up, so just needed something small and handy, husky's cheapest one is like 200 bucks, can't remember the model number, 240 I think. Anyhoo, while limbing a couple that fell last year, I decided for shits and giggles to start cutting them up to see how the little saw would do in this green wet wood, motherfucker is a little buzzing maniac, cut about two cords worth of rounds in 30 minutes or so before the chain finally got too dull, even up to two-foot+ rounds with the 16" blade.

View Quote

I've heard some big fish tales in my day but that there is a whopper.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that? A chainsaw cut a couple of trees up? That's a "whopper"?

derp.

ETA: I can take a pic of the woodpile if you like, still a few rounds I haven't chopped yet, rained some so they need to dry back out a bit.

I tell you another thing, for chopping, the Fiskars X27 is the best fucking splitter EVER.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Dog orgy .

OP if I remember correctly you did a pretty cool thread on how to correctly drop trees, or something?

Would you be willing to do a similar thread for us newbies who haven't run a saw before and how to do it safely?  That would be really cool.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Love my Husky. My last Still went in a dumpster a couple years ago. On another note why are most stihl dealers complete assholes when you bring an overly expensive piece of shit back to them expecting them to do their job and make it work as intended?
View Quote

We've got one of those in town.  They're a Stihl & Kubota dealer, so they think their shit doesn't stink.

Luckily, there's another Stihl dealer in town.  They get all of my business from now on.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

derp.

ETA: I can take a pic of the woodpile if you like, still a few rounds I haven't chopped yet, rained some so they need to dry back out a bit.

I tell you another thing, for chopping, the Fiskars X27 is the best fucking splitter EVER.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

derp.

Ha! Two cords of wood in 30 minutes with a 38cc saw. Yeah, OK.

I know you're trolling btw.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#37]

I cut down this spruce tree (that my customer/friend planted in 1958) the other day with my Stihl MS310. 30" tree, 20" bar... It was pretty fun... my friend was afraid that it would eventually come down on his house after a recent windstorm had the roots moving around which scared him a little.

- Clint
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dog orgy .

OP if I remember correctly you did a pretty cool thread on how to correctly drop trees, or something?

Would you be willing to do a similar thread for us newbies who haven't run a saw before and how to do it safely?  That would be really cool.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#39]
The day is coming soon where chainsaw threads will pass 1911/glock threads in hilarity , beans /no beans threads will always be  #1
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a 5105 and a 35 for the small stuff.

I've also got the  $200 Echo from Home Depot. The  35 cuts circles around it for about  $10 more for a 14" saw.

To the guy above with the 40 acres,  look at the 421 if you're only buying one saw.

Since everybody with land to take care of that buys one saw buys another saw,  look at a 5105  and a 421/35.

FWIW, I use the 35 about 80% of the time around the house and the farm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Hows the Husky 455 Rancher for a homeowner saw that might get used once or twice a year?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think that is absolutely right.  I have 3 big saws, but my most recent purchase was the smallest Stihl they made.  Why swing around a 20" bar to limb a tree?  It is now my main saw for anything other than felling the big red oaks we have here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought that same saw years back for deer lease stuff and fence row/shooting lane clearing.
It gets used a lot more than my big bmf Stihl
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

8lbs lol no..

My 562xp is a f--ing beast with a 20in bar though and it's plenty light for a 60cc saw.

I think I  may buy a 543xp  for limbing that is right at 9lbs and is a little terror with a 16 bar however with that little 13 bar and 3hp :).
    The Husqvarna XP saws own the Sthil's currently IMO.     For the record I could care less about the brand name I have Sthil Husqvarna and Echo here at the house
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
so who is making the go to machines these days?  guess no one makes a light 8lb saw with shit tons of power that runs like a raped ape with daily use..

Used to be the 440 Stihl. Now it is the 372XP Husky.

8lbs lol no..

My 562xp is a f--ing beast with a 20in bar though and it's plenty light for a 60cc saw.

I think I  may buy a 543xp  for limbing that is right at 9lbs and is a little terror with a 16 bar however with that little 13 bar and 3hp :).
    The Husqvarna XP saws own the Sthil's currently IMO.     For the record I could care less about the brand name I have Sthil Husqvarna and Echo here at the house

I had a 562 and the damn thing wouldn't run at high elevations.  I exchanged it for a Husky 362 and that thing is a beast.  The Stihl was okay at the house, but when I went to the mountains it wouldn't run.  The warranty mechanic made the comment he had seen a few with the issue.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hows the Husky 455 Rancher for a homeowner saw that might get used once or twice a year?
View Quote

Perfect for that.

I contend, that the 455 is the best value in saws.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Perfect for that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect for that.

Thanks.

I'm between that, and that Dewalt 40v saw.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a 455, a 55 (455 predecessor), and a 562XP.

The 55 won't die, the 562 is serious, yet I grab the 455 for most average tasks. That thing is about 12y/o and has been completely trouble free since day one.

The 460rancher is great too, just shop for best deal at a dedicated dealer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I was trying to be kind. I work with two loggers that use Huskies "because of their chain speed", I watch as they wear themselves into a lather just trying to get the damn saw started...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1 in 10 loggers in the PNW use Huskyies and that's a generous ration, the other 9 use Stihl.

Very generous.

I was trying to be kind. I work with two loggers that use Huskies "because of their chain speed", I watch as they wear themselves into a lather just trying to get the damn saw started...

Funny, I do that with my Stihl and the old Stihl that got replaced by the Husky was a real bitch to start.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No joke,  I know guys who are positively afraid of a table saw but treat chainsaws like leaf blowers.  Running them without basic ppe is insane to me.  hard hat (kickback), eyepro, gloves, and some simple cut resistant pants / chaps are cheap.  compared to getting fucked up with a chain covered with spinning razors.. just me though..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I have to add is that I work in the ER. Don't fuck around with shitty or dull saws because they will fuck you up and chainsaws are extremely unforgiving.

Yea my mom had a guy come into the ER once, saw kicked backed and caught him square in the middle of the face. He didn't make it.

Saws like firearms deserve mucho respect.

Chainsaw is the most dangerous fucking thing you can buy without a license. I know of three chainsaw related deaths and plenty of near misses along with home and vehicles that suffered at the hands of incompetent saw operators.

No joke,  I know guys who are positively afraid of a table saw but treat chainsaws like leaf blowers.  Running them without basic ppe is insane to me.  hard hat (kickback), eyepro, gloves, and some simple cut resistant pants / chaps are cheap.  compared to getting fucked up with a chain covered with spinning razors.. just me though..

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 36,000 people are injured by chainsaws annually.
The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches and the average medical cost was $ 5,600.00 in 1989. Data according to The Davis Garvin Agency, an insurance underwriter specializing in loggers insurance. In year 2000 corresponding costs can be estimated to be over $12,000.00.
Medical costs for chainsaw injuries based on these facts amount to about 350 million dollars per year.
Workman's compensation costs, based on the assumption that four weeks recovery is required, can be estimated at 125 million dollars annually.
Loss of production as well as loss of quality of life for the injured can not be adequately quantified, but may in fact represent the single largest cost.

C/P from here... Click if you dare..

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#49]
From north central Idaho here, OP.

We still have some biggish timber.  LOL.

You are pretty much stuck with Stihl or Husqvarna, tho nobody around here uses Husky's much.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I have serious love/hate relationship with my MS361.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top