Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Polish up your resume, they will find a reason to can you
View Quote

This.  

It is highly possible they talked to their employment attorney downtown, who told them, "That's not how you fire someone.  THIS is how you fire someone...."  

And now they are prepared to play Stack-The-Personnel-File to have a legit case for firing you down the road, if necessary.  

Don't be surprised if you find yourself getting written up and formally counseled (in writing in the presence of HR) every time you sneeze, for failure to abide by Personal Snot Dispersal Protocol No. 45-XGR, Revised 10-2016.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This.  

It is highly possible they talked to their employment attorney downtown, who told them, "That's not how you fire someone.  THIS is how you fire someone...."  

And now they are prepared to play Stack-The-Personnel-File to have a legit case for firing you down the road, if necessary.  

Don't be surprised if you find yourself getting written up and formally counseled (in writing in the presence of HR) every time you sneeze, for failure to abide by Personal Snot Dispersal Protocol No. 45-XGR, Revised 10-2016.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

lol yup.  im going with this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Lock your cup up OP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

Exactly

I once worked for a company who had a woman who was a pain in the ass

in the end she got fired for something very minor but well documented

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

congrats, OP.
Let's see how many apologies you get for being accused of being less than ruthful

View Quote

Ain't getting one from me. I still don't think he was being completely forthcoming (or complete) about what happened.

The way to avoid suspicion in cases like this is detail what happened with some clarity, detail what conversation took place, what this murky backstory is with the shitter, etc.

Or, be vague as fuck and say things that sound super implausible and then update that you're exonerated without any clarity, detail, what conversations took place, etc.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad you got an apology, back pay and reinstatement.  It is as it should be.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Who initiated the meeting that got you reinstated ?

Why the continued vagueness ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who initiated the meeting that got you reinstated ?

Why the continued vagueness ?
View Quote

The OP is a man of few words. Apparently.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
You are now on, what is known as the phase out program, my best guess.
Good luck, tell us the rest when ya feel like it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the best things my old man did for me was throw me into a very blue collar construction environment when I was 16 or 17 during the summer.  Holy shit I could not get out of there fast enough.  I did not stop at go and went directly to college for like 6+ years doing my best to NEVER have to deal with that again

My dad was like

Now I have to deal with white collar workers who are just as bad, but at least I won't get diarrhoeal disease from trying to have a cup of coffee
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell us about the look on shit bandits face when you walk through the door.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty cheap settlement for the company.

You could have gotten a nice check but you settled for backpay?

Amateur.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
They are going to stuff a rocket up OP's ass and light the fuse the first chance they get.

OR, give him a promotion.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's what my initial reaction was...

Of course, who knows what the full story is, but it may be a situation where he was terminated on terms that may be hard to justify.

So, they take him back, smooth the waters and then fire him for a safety violation or a error on his timecard - something like that.

Who knows?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what my initial reaction was...

Of course, who knows what the full story is, but it may be a situation where he was terminated on terms that may be hard to justify.

So, they take him back, smooth the waters and then fire him for a safety violation or a error on his timecard - something like that.

Who knows?

Yeah, dumb for him to take their offer instead of taking them to court and bleeding a careers worth of cash from them.....which is what I'd have done.

If they fired him this time, they will fire him again but in a way that prevents a lawsuit.  Op let them off the hook by taking their offer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Long story short:
Reported an incident to management last night at work.
Got called in early today to meet with VP and hr me.
20 minutes later got walked off the property.

Wow.
Just effin wow.
Was calling a labor attorney in Colorado springs before my tires left the property but I'm a transplant here in Colorado so anyone know who the best labor attorney in pueblo area is?

Thanks,

H

Had a meeting with the VP today.
Formal apology by corporation and full reinstatement.
Paid my missed hours, too.
View Quote

I'd be looking for a new job.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#18]
You'll be gone soon
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whoa! That was a quick reversal. Why the change of heart?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Long story short:
Reported an incident to management last night at work.
Got called in early today to meet with VP and hr me.
20 minutes later got walked off the property.

Wow.
Just effin wow.
Was calling a labor attorney in Colorado springs before my tires left the property but I'm a transplant here in Colorado so anyone know who the best labor attorney in pueblo area is?

Thanks,

H

View Quote

Start looking for a new job, they took you back to stay legal, but once they show you what the'll do, you are toast.  I give you 5 weeks tops before they pin something on you and terminate your employment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In most states, you can be fired for reporting unsafe / illegal stuff.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of incident?

"Was it wrong to snort coke off a hooker's ass while at work?"

Or

"I saw some really unsafe / illegal shit, and felt obligated to report it"

In most states, you can be fired for reporting unsafe / illegal stuff.  

Employees cannot be fired for following the standards of business conduct code which the vast amount of employers have.  I have yet to see one in recent years that does not say you have to report illegal and unsafe activities at work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep, took me a while to figure this out.  I used to think that HR was about getting everyone to get along.  Well it is if that limits their financial exposure.  So when dealing with HR remember that their job is limit the financial exposure of the company.  Paying salaries, dealing with employees, whatever.  The leverage, if any, is can their financial exposure be greater by dismissing you without cause...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never, ever, ever, go to HR. Ignore, deny, deflect, play stupid, whatever it takes. They are not there to help you. The sole purpose of HR is to limit the company's liability. You can be 100% right and still find yourself fired because you will expose the company to less liabilty than any other solution.

If you are young, take it as a good life lesson and move on.

Truth in a nutshell.

Yep, took me a while to figure this out.  I used to think that HR was about getting everyone to get along.  Well it is if that limits their financial exposure.  So when dealing with HR remember that their job is limit the financial exposure of the company.  Paying salaries, dealing with employees, whatever.  The leverage, if any, is can their financial exposure be greater by dismissing you without cause...

Truth rarely gets spoken like this, but HR is suppose do this as representing the best interest of the shareholders, owners, etc.  However, nowadays it's common to see HR representing the best interest of themselves over shareholders.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, which one of these are you going to start carrying at work:

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Walked out yesterday, reinstated today? Lawyer up, dude.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#26]
any updates?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#27]
So did the same VP hire you back? what happened with the attorney?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top