Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/24/2016 2:25:36 PM EDT
Are there really sellers on Craigslist accepting credit for purchases?  Checks?

I sell a lot on there and always laugh when someone says cash like I'm going to accept anything else.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I sell a lot on there and always laugh when someone says cash like I'm going to accept anything else.
View Quote

I've once seen an ad, stating they'd take EBT credit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the penalty for that if you get caught?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are other forms of payments...Money order, checks, card swipers...
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Even drug dealers take cards now

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Checks are instant now with most banks...Same thing with CC's, especially with the square.

Idk if I'd take a CC but, check fraud is a very real thing and cancelling the check when you received the goods actually fucks you long term...

Idk
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
To specify the means by which money and goods will be transferred?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
There's Kohl's cash and a BJs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess it has been about 10 days since our last "I'm a CL noob" thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Cabelas points
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I posted some rebuilt lower control arms for a Honda Element that I did up with some energy suspension bushings. Posted for $150 a set.

Had some dumbass write me and asked if I did BOGO.

I asked WTF is BOGO? He said buy one get one free. So basically he wanted the arms for $75. Told him to piss up a rope.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I always say "Sure" to guys like that. Especially the super lowballers.

9 times out of 10 you never hear back from them again. The odd one that shows up looking for the deal of the century gets told the item has been sold.
They get pretty pissy about it.

LOL
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I accept credit\debit cards from people for "swap meet" type transactions.

I fucking wish more people would.

Hell, I'll even take a check if they have ID.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
People who really need the money will make rash decisions to get money. I'm sure we've all at one point or another sold something under value to apply the money to another item. Cars and trucks are prime example.

Try buying using this tactic. Your results may surprise you. Worst case the seller ignores you, use another number to contact.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I am helping a friend sell a car . Pure retardation .
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Some car dealers will take a little bit less money if it's cash because then they won't report the sale when it comes down to doing taxes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think a LOT of people have been trained to think that "cash" is more valuable than checks or credit because, ostensibly, the seller doesn't have to report it.

Some sellers make this stupid thinking a reality by lowering their prices for "cash" transactions. Either they're breaking the law or they have the margin for credit transactions built into their pricing and just shave it off when you mention cash.

It's silly, and it's an annoying way to negotiate. Asking me "will you take $X for it" is fine. Making it sound like your money becomes more valuable TO THE AVERAGE SELLER because it's "cash" is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#17]
OP's never done an Armslist ad and been offered payment in 22LR.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a car a couple months ago...guy wanted 3900...I checked the car out, drove it, found it to be well worth the 3900 he was asking. I asked if he would accept 3500 cash right now...He just said "cash..right now"....Yes, cash right now. "yeah..I'll do that".    cash talks loud.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I always take it to imply that they actually have the cash in hand.  Which is usually not the case.  Once you agree to a price then you have to go through their drama since they don't really have the money right at that moment.  

When I'm selling something I put up what I think is a reasonable price.  If someone offers less than that I can either accept, reject, or counter offer.  I never get emotionally invested in the process.  But unless they pay me in cash they aren't going to get whatever it is I'm selling.  Having been around musicians all my life I'm a little jaded by the whole process.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I was selling a GSXR 750 years back. I was Asked "Wud u tak a payment plan fo da bike"

I can only assume he knows how to spell "payment plan" correctly b/c of how many times he's read the phrase.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paypal
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought a car a couple months ago...guy wanted 3900...I checked the car out, drove it, found it to be well worth the 3900 he was asking. I asked if he would accept 3500 cash right now...He just said "cash..right now"....Yes, cash right now. "yeah..I'll do that".    cash talks loud.
View Quote

Did he want $3900 in marshmallow peeps instead? Of course he wanted cash. I don't understand this. He was probably willing to go 3500 anyway. You just saved him the dicking around.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's usually the ploy of a broke dick mother fucker who thinks everyone else is as broke dick as he is and somehow flashing his "stripper roll" will convince you that you need to take his pissant offer money right now so the "chilluns will have shoes"......I laugh at those guys.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did he want $3900 in marshmallow peeps instead? Of course he wanted cash. I don't understand this. He was probably willing to go 3500 anyway. You just saved him the dicking around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guys who tell stories like the one gwitness just typed and assure you it was "the cash" that sealed the deal, won't entertain the possibility that anything else could have done it.

They are also the same guys who say "will you take $X, CASH?"

As if it makes a difference to 98 percent of the people selling shit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think a LOT of people have been trained to think that "cash" is more valuable than checks or credit because, ostensibly, the seller doesn't have to report it.

Some sellers make this stupid thinking a reality by lowering their prices for "cash" transactions. Either they're breaking the law or they have the margin for credit transactions built into their pricing and just shave it off when you mention cash.

It's silly, and it's an annoying way to negotiate. Asking me "will you take $X for it" is fine. Making it sound like your money becomes more valuable TO THE AVERAGE SELLER because it's "cash" is fucking retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree to an extent, but to be fair options like squared up or whatever are becoming really convenient and pervasive in recent years.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some car dealers will take a little bit less money if it's cash because then they won't report the sale when it comes down to doing taxes.
View Quote

Bullshit.

How will they explain that car is no longer there?
Lots of financers give kickbacks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#27]
i only accept American cash dollars in the form of checks over the asking amount and i refund the difference.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

They report it for less, and don't pay taxes or document  the remaining balance, pocket the money, then claim a loss on business taxes.

Duh.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#29]
A lot of people have no idea how to properly negotiate
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#30]
All questions that contain the words, "Why" and "Craigslist" can be answered with, "Because it's Craigslist."

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Shit. List something on Armslist. Same retardation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#32]
"look, I'll give you $xx cash money"
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Cash is king baby
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

for the record, that inquiry is not only found on CL ads..
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#35]
More counterfeit bills are being unloaded at garage sales and private sales because many people can't tell a fake from real until they take it to the bank and are SOL.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#36]
There are a lot of folks on CL that will try to buy things in any form of payment but cash.

Telling sellers that I am negotiating in cash has helped me get deals done quickly instead of having to play the game.  

IOW, telling them you are buying with cash helps keep your offer from getting binned while the other emails get ignored if they don't explicitly state cash.

There's a lot of BS on CL.  Saying upfront that you intend to buy with cash means that you aren't playing games.

You would not believe (well, you probably would) what I've been offered for a CL sale.  I deal in cash only, buys or sales.  It's a universally accepted transactional medium.  Why would I use anything but cash?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#37]
They are specifying cash because if you've sold much on Craigslist you will have encountered people who will show up for your $3500 car with a handful of endorsed checks, or some cash and a "$2500 watch," or a sob story, or they have to make a bunch of trips across town first to get their money, etc.

When someone offers cash they are saying "I am serious about doing business with you."
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View Quote

"What's the lowest price you'll take" seems to be what everyone on Craig's List regards as savvy negotiation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, on CL, I only accept cash...as in USD bills.

I don't have a credited card machine and I'm not paying their fees.

I don't take checks because of the risks and I don't have an agreement with checkmate or the other check verification services.  I also dont take money orders in FTF deals.  The only two mediums left are cash or trade.  Not many people have stuff I want enough to swap and dealing with negotiating a price in that situation is more cumbersome.

Therefore, yes, cash is king because it requires no effort on my part to use, whereas the other money changing methods require at least a trip to the bank and increased risks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I have been trying to sell a Jeep on CL for a few weeks now and its insanity.    The I'll give you XXX cash cracks me up.  What else are you going to give me $XXX in Cocaine, Chickens, cows, guns?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

"What's the lowest price you'll take" seems to be what everyone on Craig's List regards as savvy negotiation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think most people are usually in too much of a hurry to want to haggle.  Some big ticket items sit on CL for months waiting to sell, asking the lowest the seller will accept saves time when sorting through the options.

For example, I am looking for a particular model of truck.  There are around 200 within the distance I would be willing to drive.  50 of those 200 are within my budget and acceptable for my uses.

I am not haggling with 50 different people.  If their lowest price is higher than the next guy's,  they're out of the running.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I offer a lower price with cash because it fucking works.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think most people are usually in too much of a hurry to want to haggle.  Some big ticket items sit on CL for months waiting to sell, asking the lowest the seller will accept saves time when sorting through the options.

For example, I am looking for a truck of a particular model of truck.  There are around 200 within the distance I would be willing to drive.  50 of those 200 are within my budget and acceptable for my uses.

I am not haggling with 50 different people.  If their lowest price is higher than the next guy's,  they're out of the running.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

For example, I am looking for a truck of a particular model of truck.  There are around 200 within the distance I would be willing to drive.  50 of those 200 are within my budget and acceptable for my uses.

Exactly!

If they want it sold, they will give a price.  Select your prices on CL shit accordingly.

And no, your rust bucket 1990 Ford ranger 4 cyl 2x4 is not worth 10k.  It's not even worth 2k.  Deal.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

Bullshit!   When I finished my contract in Iraq in 2010 my last check was around 50k.  I wanted a newer/newish F250/2500 sized truck to pull an RV.  I drove around for days trying to find a decent truck I could pay cash for.   At all the lots no one would knock any off for paying Cash and a few even told me they preferred to finance it.   Fuck that noise.    I ended up buying a new one and then paying it off on the first payment.  I do not think the finance company was pleased with that.   Even new truck dealers wouldn't fuck around with cash.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Because the white trash buying shit off craigslist don't understand money other than it immediately needs to be spent once obtained.

They deal in "horse trading" like "hey billy-ray I dun trade you this here 4 wheeler or some deer jerky for that thar thingy you gots listed on craigslist."

So cash to them IS a big deal.  Otherwise you need to specify in your ad that you accept 4 wheelers, "electrical work" or deer jerky as payment
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't take checks because of the risks and I don't have an agreement with checkmate or the other check verification services.  I also dont take money orders in FTF deals.  The only two mediums left are cash or trade.  Not many people have stuff I want enough to swap and dealing with negotiating a price in that situation is more cumbersome.

Therefore, yes, cash is king because it requires no effort on my part to use, whereas the other money changing methods require at least a trip to the bank and increased risks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you arguing with? I didn't take a contrary position. I assume that a buyer is going to pay cash. I will take a credit/debit card or a check but, cash is the default assumption.

Which means that you telling me that you intend to pay with cash is retarded if you think it will get you a better price.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I offer a lower price with cash because it fucking works.
View Quote

As opposed to what alternative?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I heard a guy reply to that offer with "well what the fuck else are you going to pay with, bananas?"
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I always say "Sure" to guys like that. Especially the super lowballers.

9 times out of 10 you never hear back from them again. The odd one that shows up looking for the deal of the century gets told the item has been sold.

They get pretty pissy about it.

LOL
View Quote

So they offer $XXX (even if it is lowballed)

You tell them "sure" (verbal agreement)

If they actually do show up, you renege.

I suppose just saying "no" is too easy?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Selling a car on CL now as a private party and I had a guy come to see the car. We agreed on a price and he then said I can give you "X" down and "X" amount per month. I said sure, but the car stays here until your done paying it off. He looked at me like I had two heads, so I said do I look like a bank. I ended it by saying hey thanks for coming out, if and when you have all of the cash give me a call to see if I still have it.

CL tire kickers and BS artists, do not get me started, and the dealers who call or email offering wholesale.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top