Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Become a cloner, especially a retro cloner.  Those guys are all about tracking down obscure parts to be "correct" and seem to almost never actually shoot what they've assembled.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Private club or nothing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... to the range and shoot the thing when you actually buy it?
I loaded up about $5K worth of shit in my car today, only to turn around in the lot at the range and come back home.
Just wasn't feeling it.
View Quote

Huh.  If I get to the range (regardless of weather), and I didn't do something stupid like forget my ammo, I'm punching some holes in things.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh...

When I get the urge, I just grab whatever, and step out onto the back deck and terrorize the steel plates.

Getting the time and inclination, to obsess over staying in tune to compete anymore is hard.
Even winter Silhouette and gallery league isn't much fun anymore.
Cost has gotten insane, travel to ranges has gotten plumb stupid, and the reward just isn't there.
I can spend 30min. offhand with the Henry and open sights and get the same fun.

It seems to go in cycles though, gimme another 6 mos to a year, and I'll probably get some sort of a bug up my ass again.
Until then, I'm just going to Hunt and fish.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol, I love to go to the range.

Sometimes I don't even shoot that much.  Just wander around looking for brass.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Shooting is my favorite hobby so no.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If I'm going to give up on an activity for the day, it sure as fuck isn't going to be in the parking lot of the location where I'm doing said activity.

I do this with diving all the time - look at the mound of shit I have to take (usually two sets of double tanks, regs, masks, fins, wetsuit, backplate/wing, lights, video setup, backup parts, etc) and just give up and text my buddy I'm not going.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
OP may need to get professional help, wtf?! Other than sex, there is literally nothing better in life than going shooting. If you're turning around to go home, you probably have mental issues.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have shot a 3 gun match and been to the range in the last month.

I make time as often as possible to go shooting. However, it is getting to be a pain to decide what guns to bring. Maybe I have too many...

NAH!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't been getting out shooting as much as I used to. Only ranges nearby are indoor. Usually I'm all for it, but sometimes it can feel like a chore getting out. Always enjoy it once I'm out, and haven't turned around unless there's a crazy wait for a lane (learned to go on off days).

I think my issue is mainly that it's indoors, and that the ranges gear their rules around the lowest common denominator. No rapid fire, no drawing from the holster, etc. When the average shooter there can barely keep hits on a B27 sized target 20ft out, I get why. But it still sucks for the rest of us.

Have a cool outdoor public range, but it's a good  1 1/2 hours away. There's a private outdoor range about an hour out, but it's not cheap. Closest indoor range is < 15mins out. Probably need to get into IDPA or something to keep things interesting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a bit of a hassle, but out here I know a nice empty section of desert. It's a good distance away, but devoid of other humans (so far at least). If I do move south of Phoenix proper it will be closer to 20 minutes away instead of an hour. I can go there to run and gun, instead of shooting matches - that's very nice indeed. It's easier to practice a course of fire when you're not doing it in line with 20 other people, and only doing it live fire once.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I had this same issue until I moved to my current home/land where I can shoot on my own property.  Now I shoot a LOT more often.  

I think it was partly the inconvenience of having pack everything up and then drive somewhere.  I also think it has a lot to do with privacy.  I just feel a lot more comfortable here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]
No.  I have never had that problem.  I make sure that I always have multiple options of good places to go shooting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
My closest shooting spot used to be about 45 minutes away.  I went once or twice per year.

An indoor rifle/pistol range opened up 5 minutes away so now I can actually get up the motivation more than once in a blue moon.  I check Zillow for property every week now for land so I can set up my own range but finding suitable property in Southeast Michigan is now simple task.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I go to a range with 2500 members, it costs $230 per year.

But no one is ever there, Sat at 10am there will be 2-3 other guys tops.

Action pits that you can shoot and move, draw from holsters, shoot from cover, transition primary secondary, shoot steel all at the same time.

Spendy but worth it and I try to make it there at least twice a month.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had that happen one time. I was in the range parking lot and just didn't feel it so I went home.

I enjoy shooting but loading target rounds, the guns, spare ammo, safety equipment and range bag with targets is a bit cumbersome when you take 10 or 12 guns.  Then cleaning afterwards takes forever.

I trimmed it down to six guns last time and it was better.  Tomorrow I'll just take two glocks and two 1911s.  I just want to practice with the guns I carry or keep at my bedside. That'll lighten up the load and just makes sense to me.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope, I try to go every weekend.  With 3 kids other obligations sometimes get in the way but I almost always get 2x a month and I look forward to it every time.  You are doing something wrong.  

I would suggest some range games like the" tack driver" one in the rim fire forum, the MOA challenge, or the 25 MOA All day handgun challenge.  If you ever find yourself bored with those look for steel challenge matches and go from there... I honestly can't fathom being bored with shooting.

-Mike
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Around 30 years ago I bought a place on a salt water river and built a dock and boat lift and a few years later at about 38 got into pistols and reloading in 1993.

Ten years later got into ebrs and loading 223 rounds...Some bench shooting and got  what I think is as good as im going to get at the age of 63.

Still go to any of the three outdoor ranges an hour away from me about four times a year and a few times for pistol indoors.

I have bench rifles and trunk rifles and have the loads figured out for them .  Reload for all the pistol and rifle stuff and have more components than I will ever shoot... I guess I think im as good as I will ever get and four times a year  to the range will be enough.

The rest of the time im trying to wear out the boat and dock...I don't run into many asshole out in the bay , or I can run away from them.

I still shoot moa off of the bench and paper plate at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thats exactly it.

The cost chore of replenishing ammo has sucked most of the fun out of it for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I havent pulled the trigger on any of my guns in almost 2 years.
That's about it for me too. I think the panic / hoarding / neck bearding  bullshit did me in. The though of "how am I going to replace this ammo that I use today? " sort of just sucks the fun out of it. I mean .22 LR, really? In what the fuck kind of bizarro world can't you run down and pick up some on your way out and be done with it? Now it's some kind of double black market commodity that you better have so much of that it's coming out your ass backwards or you are just not prepared. What are we going to horde next? Uppers, lowers, barrels, shoulder things that go up? Only thing being stacked deep is bullshit, and there sure as hell aint nothing being bought cheap anymore.

Thats exactly it.

The cost chore of replenishing ammo has sucked most of the fun out of it for me.

Fify
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
quit going to the range. Shooting is a lot more fun when you aren't surrounded by assholes.
View Quote

Truth. The range sucks. Go find some private land and shoot some reactive targets. The range works for a quick fix but getting on some land and taking your time/ enjoying yourself is where it'says at.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
quit going to the range. Shooting is a lot more fun when you aren't surrounded by assholes.
View Quote

I agree with you but for some (many?) of us that's not an option. If I want to shoot somewhere other than a range I have to drive for 2 hours and hope I can find a good spot
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm pretty lucky I guess since I can shoot on my own property and a lot of times right off my back deck if I'm not in the mood to walk down to my setup and bench.

To be honest if I had to depend on public ranges to shoot I'd not even bother. Maybe just shoot once or twice a year on some public land somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I loaded up about $5K worth of shit in my car today, only to turn around in the lot at the range and come back home.
Just wasn't feeling it.
View Quote

There is something wrong with you, go seek help OP
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#25]
nah only go once a month now

found a nice range in the middle of nowhere that isnt surrounded by yuppies and retarded rednecks
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#26]
When I use to make monthly trips to the desert is CA it was 2 hours each way. I'd meticulously plan my load out from guns, ammo, targets, food, etc.  Then stage it all in the living room and load up my truck.  Planning it all was honestly half the fun I only did it once a month at most so I made the most of it.  Yeah driving 2 hours followed by an hour of setting up targets on the side of a mountain sucked ass but the next few hours of burning up ammo was 100% worth it.  So much so that when my shooting buddies and myself got stuck working a mission until 0300 the night before a shooting trip we still got up at 0600 to spend the whole day in the desert.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just wasn't feeling it.
View Quote

You don't have a real plan. Just shooting ammo off is a waste of time, energy and resources in my opinion. I have a plan in mind when I go. That plan is based on me practicing with the pistol I carry on me. I don't have a million handguns. Just one.
I'm going to shoot x rounds in y minutes. I always need to practice this, that, and the other every time, but I'll also work on other stuff to break up the monotony. All these drills are based on what I learned in police academy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I walk out back in the yard when i go shooting anything but rifle.  Rifle i go to a private range that i have access to and am normally the only one thwre.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top