Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do it all the time at intersections with no other traffic.
View Quote

This^

I may have done a "California Stop" at a red light once or twice this year week.  When its 4:45am and all the damn stop lights around here are on a timer, I'm not sitting at an empty intersection 3-4 times per commute for 1-2 mins each. My 11 mins drive to work can take me anywhere from 11-20 mins depending how lucky or unlucky I am.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In the ghetto New England you don't even stop.  Red lights are yield signs at best.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Common practice in the ghetto.

In the ghetto New England you don't even stop.  Red lights are yield signs at best.

FIFY

I grew up in Southern CA, and used to commute from work in OC to school in LA. I've also lived in TN, Georgia, Idaho, and driven across the country and back three times. People in ID drive slowly, which I was fine with. People in CA drove ~10-20mph over the speed limit, which I was fine with. People in GA had to slow down to make the giant sweeping turns on the 75/85 and 285, which was annoying, but at least predictable. The drivers in New England are by far, the most blatantly, incessantly, dismissive of traffic laws I've ever seen across 46 of the states I've driven through or lived in. Drives me crazy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4tmik2meng

What could go wrong???
View Quote

HA!  That looked like a buncha drunk Russians there!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't seen anyone treating a red light like a stop sign, but I have ran a few after sitting for what seemed like forever.

Quoted:

If the person turning left is in the intersection when the light turns red they have the right of way over the people going straight who's light just turned green.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ghetto thing is a little different, it's the best way to avoid getting carjacked and such. I see more red light antics in the non ghetto areas. The one that gets me are the left turners that will try and beat the oncoming traffic to turn left as the light changes to green.

If the person turning left is in the intersection when the light turns red they have the right of way over the people going straight who's light just turned green.

I think he's saying the cars are sitting at a red light, opposite each other, and when it turns green (without an arrow) someone will jump out real quick and turn left as fast as they can before getting hit by oncoming traffic whose light also just turned green.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
don't you feel like a jackass sitting at a red light at 5 in the morning where the road is empty in all four directions as far as your eye can see?

View Quote

I see people doing it all the at 5:30pm in rush hour traffic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yup, especially on the motorcycle.  

I'm actively trying to *not* obey all the laws just because they are laws.  2am on a Monday morning, nobody within 2 zipcodes of me. . .why should I wait for a timed stoplight to give me permission to go through the intersection?  

[Disclaimer]  Yup, I'm breaking the law and may get punished for it. . .and I'm perfectly willing to accept that risk.  [/Disclaimer]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, especially on the motorcycle.  

I'm actively trying to *not* obey all the laws just because they are laws.  2am on a Monday morning, nobody within 2 zipcodes of me. . .why should I wait for a timed stoplight to give me permission to go through the intersection?  

[Disclaimer]  Yup, I'm breaking the law and may get punished for it. . .and I'm perfectly willing to accept that risk.  [/Disclaimer]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You'd think they would turn them to flash. The ones on the main drag of the little town here all turn to flash after 1am I think.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Its now legal in PA.  It has been legal for years for motorcyclists to do it.

Here's why.  Many of our intersections have underground sensors that rely on weight to trigger them.  When they are triggered they start a countdown to change the light.   But motorcycles aren't heavy enough to trigger them so the light never changed.

These things are so old and worn out now that many of them are malfunctioning.  There is one red light that I once sat at for 15 minutes @ 10:30 at night waiting for it to change.  It never did and I eventually just ran it.  I had to go through this intersection every day on my way home from work and I eventually would just stop make sure the coast was clear then run through the red because it would never turn green.

So to get around this they now extended the law originally designed for motorcycles to extend to cars.    The rules are, you have to stop.  You have to wait a reasonable amount of time, then make sure both directions are completely clear, then you may continue.

I used this law a few times now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The disregard for the law attitude is kinda sad.  But hey, when your own gov't ignores the law...
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In the last year, it seems like I have seen more and more people do this. They treat a red stop light as a stop sign. They come to a stop, and then after 30 seconds or so, they decide they have waited long enough and if its clear....they just drive right through the red light.  I'm assuming this is illegal. Most of the time its a soccer mom, or some guy that looks like he's in a hurry.

Anyone seen this happening a bunch in their area??
View Quote

You know what they say about assumptions...
In many states it is legal for a motorcycle to proceed through a red light after stopping.
In some states it is legal for a car to do so.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
In Florida no one goes through on the green lights.....they died.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I haven't seen anyone treating a red light like a stop sign, but I have ran a few after sitting for what seemed like forever.

I think he's saying the cars are sitting at a red light, opposite each other, and when it turns green (without an arrow) someone will jump out real quick and turn left as fast as they can before getting hit by oncoming traffic whose light also just turned green.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The ghetto thing is a little different, it's the best way to avoid getting carjacked and such. I see more red light antics in the non ghetto areas. The one that gets me are the left turners that will try and beat the oncoming traffic to turn left as the light changes to green.

Yep.  Also known as the "Pittsburgh Left".
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I've done it, there are some piss poor setups on lights around me.  There's one that is so bad I see people run it all the time, it was so bad I found a different way to go to work to avoid it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, I ride and I will run a light if I have sat there too long because I know the bike didnt trip the sensor....its legal todo that.

But a car pulling up to a light, and they running it a few seconds later is BS.....especially when there is a lot of traffic around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do it on the bike all the time, it's legal for bikes in most places because some of them don't have enough steel to set off the road sensor loop.

Yes, I ride and I will run a light if I have sat there too long because I know the bike didnt trip the sensor....its legal todo that.

But a car pulling up to a light, and they running it a few seconds later is BS.....especially when there is a lot of traffic around.

Used to be legal in GA for a bike to go through if the light hadn't changed for a while. Now it's not, they changed it last year or year before maybe.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's it, I didn't know it already had a pet name.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No, but my friend once did it while we were driving and I flipped on him. There wasn't anyone coming, but I have nothing but hatred for people who can't obey simple road laws.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The disregard for the law attitude is kinda sad.  But hey, when your own gov't ignores the law...
View Quote

Yes, people run red lights because FHRC has sold political influence to the highest bidder
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will never understand this mentality.

I have regard for laws which are objectively beneficial to the citizens, as individuals.

I don't care to obey laws which are laws for the sake of having laws that come with punishments designed only to enrich the state and instill a "follow the law, regardless of the sanity of the law in your circumstances" mentality (which, seems to have worked on you, at least).
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, people run red lights because FHRC has sold political influence to the highest bidder
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not me. I do it because I just don't give a fuck about red lights protecting nobody from anybody else.

If it's safer for me to wait, I will. If it's not, I won't. Same goes for 4 way stops. If I can see the intersection clearly from 100 yards away and nobody is stopped there, I'm certainly not going to.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have regard for laws which are objectively beneficial to the citizens, as individuals.

I don't care to obey laws which are laws for the sake of having laws that come with punishments designed only to enrich the state and instill a "follow the law, regardless of the sanity of the law in your circumstances" mentality (which, seems to have worked on you, at least).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not gonna get into a pissing match, but respecting and obeying the law was how I was raised.

People bitch and moan about our country circling the drain. I think the ever-growing disrespect for the law and the "I'll do what I want" attitude is part of it.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not gonna get into a pissing match, but respecting and obeying the law was how I was raised.

People bitch and moan about our country circling the drain. I think the ever-growing disrespect for the law and the "I'll do what I want" attitude is part of it.

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

I'd argue it's the surrender of individual agency and thought to a variety of sources of blind deference - be they local municipalities, Breitbart, or some other preferred surrogate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I do this every single day, when I can clearly see that the coast is clear. 

I've been doing it for years (thanks Adam Carolla!), and I have yet to get a ticket for it. And even if I do (highly unlikely), it'll be worth it for the thousands of times I was able to avoid sitting at a light like a fucking moron when it was perfectly obvious that it was safe to proceed. 

The time I've saved over the years can easily be measured in hours. Maybe days. 

It's the most liberating thing ever. 
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No, but my friend once did it while we were driving and I flipped on him. There wasn't anyone coming, but I have nothing but hatred for people who can't obey simple road laws.
View Quote

You ever speed?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:09:46 AM EDT
[#26]
That's the secret to defeating red light cameras
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:14:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I work nights over the weekend. I pretty much treat all traffic laws as a suggestion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:16:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

A blind adherence to the law is a bug not a feature.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What could go wrong???
View Quote

Note the one where the runner just misses the stopped bike ------------------ that happened to me while on my bike in Tucson at the corner of 22nd and Wilmot.

I was stopped "hugging the line" as I always do ------------------ the car missed me by a foot and hit six (six!!!) cars in two lanes in front of me.

Made me a BIG believer in God at that moment...

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:28:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same, there used to be stop signs where there are now lights in my town.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What could go wrong???

I think the cement mixer vs dump truck and short school bus vs police car were my favorites.

A couple of really good "buddy wrecks" too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I agree in theory, I am just not doing it in VA.  They take speeding and disregarding traffic signals seriously.  Well, only if I am in a car, motorcycles can get a pass.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:41:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I do it on the bike all the time, it's legal for bikes in most places because some of them don't have enough steel to set off the road sensor loop.
View Quote

Yep...just another of the perks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:45:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not legal in Texas, but I have yet to have written a ticket to a motorcyclist for doing it and doubt I ever will. Can't tell you how many times I've stopped and yelled out to someone on a bike to just go on if it's safe to do so.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:52:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've been doing it for years (thanks Adam Carolla!), and I have yet to get a ticket for it. And even if I do (highly unlikely), it'll be worth it for the thousands of times I was able to avoid sitting at a light like a fucking moron when it was perfectly obvious that it was safe to proceed. 

View Quote

So...what did you do with the "time you saved"?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:53:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Went shooting with old painless, Duh
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think the cement mixer vs dump truck and short school bus vs police car were my favorites.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What could go wrong???

I bet there wasn't clean pair of pants at the front of the line when that tanker rolled over.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:59:07 AM EDT
[#38]
That's how I got my first ticket back in 1985.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's how I got my first ticket back in 1985.
View Quote

California

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I bet there wasn't clean pair of pants at the front of the line when that tanker rolled over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What could go wrong???

That work truck started backing up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:04:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Spent a few more minutes talking with Old_Painless this evening before he went to bed. 
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:07:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
don't you feel like a jackass sitting at a red light at 5 in the morning where the road is empty in all four directions as far as your eye can see?

View Quote

What the world really needs is more traffic signals that change to flashing red between midnight and 5:30 AM...
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:10:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Furious furious masturbation.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:16:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What the world really needs is more traffic signals that change to flashing red between midnight and 5:30 AM...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen.  There is a local light at a intersection of a SH and a FM road.  The SH will stay green forever, and when traffic is BACKED UP on FM road, after allowing 6 cars thru when it eventually turns green it will turn yellow ......  LEO complaints after LEO complaints and TXDOT won't fix it....  Can only hope a State Rep gets caught at this light.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:19:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Sometimes it may be some normal looking person conducting surveillance. The reason for the wait is to let the target get far enough away as to not let them see you run the light but also not to let enough cars stack up that you cannot regain visual contact. ; )
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:06:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I've worked nights for the past 11 years.  Yes, I treat red lights like stop signs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I do it all the time if the intersection is empty, especially when going into work overnight or early in the morning.

Not all stop lights are needed, in my opinion, and many of them are timed so as to serve as traffic control rather than permitting efficient flow of traffic. They would be better as a stop sign or even a yield.

As well, I'm an adult and I don't need my life directed by a light bulb in all situations.

FWIW, I've never received a ticket or been in an accident.
View Quote

Traffic signals aren't there for the ones who are willing to use common sense and play nicely.  They're for the ones who think their own mission is the only important one on the road and all others should yield (literally) to their wishes.

In most cases, a lot of thought and planning goes into light timing.  It's just not possible to make everybody happy all time.  For every red light you sit there fuming at, there's a green one merrily allowing people on their way, silently complimenting the engineers on their efficient light timing.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:05:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Did it all the time when I worked in Oakland in the 90's.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
After waiting 30 seconds? No traffic? Fuck yeah, I'm going. Shit poor traffic management. Why is that light even there?
View Quote

I believe in the State of Wisconsin it is after 45 seconds at a red, you can proceed if there is no traffic in the other roadway.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

this.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top