Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 3:01:19 AM EDT
I got 35mm hubcentric spacers for a 2005 Ford Expedition.

Wheel will not fit flush because the stock studs are hitting the back of the wheel.

What are my options?

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:07:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Replace studs with shorter ones, or grind them down a wee bit.

Common problem with spacers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Remove spacer and take 1/2" off the factory studs, reinstall spacer.. Or buy wheels with proper back spacing and bolt pattern. I hate spacers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:11:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Remove spacer and take 1/2" off the factory studs, reinstall spacer.. Or buy wheels with proper back spacing and bolt pattern. I hate spacers.
View Quote

+1 on the spacer hate. Buy the correct wheels.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I am planning to get new wheels and tires (that dont need spacers) down the road.  I got these spacers to push the stock wheels out a bit to tide me over.

How hard is it to change out the studs on these?  And where do I get shorter studs?  I tried googling but all I found were longer studs, not shorter?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:28:46 AM EDT
[#5]
If you decide to remove some material on the existing studs, remember to put lugnuts on them first before you take the grinder to them. That way the threads will still be usable, they'll "fix" themselves as you unthread the lug nuts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:29:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I am planning to get new wheels and tires (that dont need spacers) down the road.  I got these spacers to push the stock wheels out a bit to tide me over.

How hard is it to change out the studs on these?  And where do I get shorter studs?  I tried googling but all I found were longer studs, not shorter?
View Quote
Studs are usually easy to change.  I would cut the quarter inch off these with a mini grinder and a thin blade. It will take several blades. Easy job.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
If you add up all the time dicking around, buying spacers and charged an hourly rate to yourself you'd probably have enough money to buy the right wheels, or the right wheels with a lower offset.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you add up all the time dicking around, buying spacers and charged an hourly rate to yourself you'd probably have enough money to buy the right wheels, or the right wheels with a lower offset.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Labor rates in the PI are cheap and imported goods are expensive.

Will a Dremel cut-off work?  Or should I use something bigger?

Yeah I will follow the advice to thread a nut on there as a stopper for the blade if I do decide to cut it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will a Dremel cut-off work?  Or should I use something bigger?
View Quote

A dremel will work just like you can chop down a mighty oak with a swiss army knife.

It's just gonna take a minute.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Studs are usually easy to change.  I would cut the quarter inch off these with a mini grinder and a thin blade. It will take several blades. Easy job.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're gonna cut the studs. Thread the lugnuts on first.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]
You will spend twice the time cutting down the studs as you would just installing new studs that are of proper length.

Seriously, watch a youtube video of someone replacing wheel studs and you'll see how easy it is and you will change you mind about cutting your existing ones.  As a bonus you'll still have the old ones if you ever decide to take the spacers off.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Throw spacers down driveway..

Buy correct offset wheels..
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Put truck back stock and be happy. If it's not high enough, fast enough, wide enough, off road capable enough, you need to just buy a vehicle that is.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
cut the studs off just where the threads start,
also while you are at it I would seriously consider replacing that air hose.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top