Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2016 12:37:38 AM EDT
The only malfunction I've ever had that muscle memory couldn't fix was when I couldn't extract a round from a rifle with the AR charging handle. I had to use a cleaning rod to tap the round out because the barrel and engaged the bullet so tightly. In addition, I've also have had the bullet pulled from the cartridge and remain in the barrel.
I'm an AR fan but both of these issues are quickly fixed on the AK-47. It's easy to kick the bolt open with the fixed charging handle and the rifle has a cleaning rod under the barrel that could be used to dislodge any stuck bullets.
Now there are some uppers with AK style charging handles but they have no dust covers. Considering so many claim the AK is more reliable and it has no dust cover, are there any reasons not to get a fixed charging handle on an AR?

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't the AK safety a dust cover?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]
If you mortar the AR you will clear anything or rip the rim off the case. There is no issue. You just haven't been taught how to clear it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Shoulder thing that goes up.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you mortar the AR you will clear anything or rip the rim off the case. There is no issue. You just haven't been taught how to clear it.
View Quote
How do you clear it without firing the stuck round when it takes 2 grown man pulling on the charging handle to extract the round? There just isn't an easy way to apply a lot of muscle to the stock charging handle. Earlier Stoner prototypes had fixed charging handle and future ones had the charging handle in the carry handle.
In this case a knife, stick, or other object could have been used to pull
it back with both hands.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.
If you're worried about a ready cleaning rod for bore obstructions you can band an assembled GI to the left side.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How do you clear it when it takes 2 grown man pulling on the charging handle to extract the round? There just isn't an easy way to apply a lot of muscle to the stock charging handle. Stoner designed the rifle with the charging handle in the carry handle. In this case a knife stick or other object could have been used to pull it back. Earlier Stoner prototypes had fixed charging handle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you clear it when it takes 2 grown man pulling on the charging handle to extract the round? There just isn't an easy way to apply a lot of muscle to the stock charging handle. Stoner designed the rifle with the charging handle in the carry handle. In this case a knife stick or other object could have been used to pull it back. Earlier Stoner prototypes had fixed charging handle.

Inertia. You might not think it will work, but it either works, or the rim is torn/distorted.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How do you clear it without firing the stuck round when it takes 2 grown man pulling on the charging handle to extract the round? There just isn't an easy way to apply a lot of muscle to the stock charging handle. Earlier Stoner prototypes had fixed charging handle and future ones had the charging handle in the carry handle. In this case a knife stick or other object could have been used to pull it back.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you clear it without firing the stuck round when it takes 2 grown man pulling on the charging handle to extract the round? There just isn't an easy way to apply a lot of muscle to the stock charging handle. Earlier Stoner prototypes had fixed charging handle and future ones had the charging handle in the carry handle. In this case a knife stick or other object could have been used to pull it back.  

Collapse the stock, apply firm pressure to the charging handle and smack the rifle into the ground.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yep.

If you're worried about a ready cleaning rod for bore obstructions you can band an assembled GI to the left side.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

And you see this in many Vietnam photographs

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Collapse the stock, apply firm pressure to the charging handle and smack the rifle into the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The coefficient of static friction is greater than that of motive friction.
In normal words when the rifle hits the ground the shock causes the casing to move some and the pressure on the charging handle keeps it moving out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

By working smarter, not harder.

Seriously, it's how you do it, and it works. You can try to rationalize why it might not, but you'd be arguing against... that it straight up works and is the way that is thought to fix the problem.

It can be replicated on shooting ranges by bumping the CH against the edge of a table or other fixed object to keep the barrel pointing down range, or taking a mallet and giving the CH a little bump or two till it comes out.

What you did was the equivalent of using a box wrench to pull off lugnuts instead of an impact driver. (not that anyone on arf understands analogies, but still I try)

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

(not that anyone on arf understands analogies, but still I try)
View Quote

I hate analogies. That's what Benadryl is for.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Science from Youtube.
Note: AK got in the way, as it was not in the proper receptacle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you never heard of mortaring an ar?

I dont want a dust cover or a fixed charging handle
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Fixed charging handles are of no advantage.  AKs have a dust cover that covers the entire receiver.

You can pogo rifles without fixed charging handles like FALs, though if you have to it indicates a problem and that rifle is pretty much out of action.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:07:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How do you clear it without firing the stuck round when it takes 2 grown man pulling on the charging handle to extract the round?
View Quote

First, those two "grown men" hand their purses to their husbands or girlfriends, or maybe let the gals have a go while they do their nails, creampuff?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:30:17 AM EDT
[#17]
M4 with non-reciprocating charging handle on the  SIDE.  That is all I want.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:37:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Why, so it can snag on everything and get hung on gear?

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
First, those two "grown men" hand their purses to their husbands or girlfriends, or maybe let the gals have a go while they do their nails, creampuff?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you clear it without firing the stuck round when it takes 2 grown man pulling on the charging handle to extract the round?

Well it was a .308 so a little more difficult You seem a little emotional?

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:42:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

More then one option available for that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:44:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also this.

Side chargers only make sense on a gun with no BHO.

The AR has a perfect location for its charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it's not.

It was difficult because you didn't know what you were doing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:40:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also this.

Not really. There is a direct path from the chamber to the rear opening of the charging handle. It causes blowback, particularly when suppressed. Receiver should be enclosed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:51:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Not really. There is a direct path from the chamber to the rear opening of the charging handle. It causes blowback, particularly when suppressed. Receiver should be enclosed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also this.

Simply fixes to that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:08:56 AM EDT
[#26]
So the consensus is that a side charger on an AR will get hung up on gear but those huge ambi latches will not?

Interesting quixotic of a double standard right there.

Thank god I shoot southpaw.

#righthandissueslol

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:12:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can hardly catch my Fucking breath, Circuits!

That was a hilarious answer!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The AR-15 was designed as an Infantry combat rifle, as such the CH is placed in a great position to... Infantry.

The side effect of it allowing blowback because civilians adopted the rifle as a suppressor host 50 years later is... not a good argument.

Plus that very, VERY narrow case has been addressed multiple ways by the market place.  Which is another benefit of he AR CH design... it can be customized and swapped out for different CH's to suit the users needs or wants.  

TL;DR One thing that you don't like doesn't negate all of the positives of the AR CH placement, design, and adaptability.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:19:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

So the consensus is that a side charger on an AR will get hung up on gear but those huge ambi latches will not?

#righthandissueslol

View Quote
I guess if all you wanted to do was make a fake argument and try to sound intelligent buy (misusing) the word "quixotic" then that would all make sense.
Though, the simple use of regular old dumb logic wrecks it by the simple concept of "don't choose to add a huge ambi latch".  

But, feel free to keep tilting at windmills.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Well shit, I admit I didn't know about "mortaring"  Damn good thing to know!  And its so early in the morning I might learn two things today! :)
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Has anyone had a bullet stuck in a barrel after removing the case in a combatish type rifle? The rifling is so far away I don't see how this could happen. I load my 90gr SMKs to 2.580"(5/16" over magazine length) and I am still not into the rifling. I cannot see how a round that fit the magazine could put a bullet into the rifling.

I know he was talking about a stuck round but he also mentioned the bullet being stuck in the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Fixed charging handles are of no advantage.  AKs have a dust cover that covers the entire receiver.

You can pogo rifles without fixed charging handles like FALs, though if you have to it indicates a problem and that rifle is pretty much out of action.
View Quote
The Ak safety doesn't provide any additional dust protection than an AR side charger does, it's more of a huge hole to the action cover

This is the one I've been considering. Seems the receiver is way to beefy.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Uh, yeah the AK safety definitely offers more protection from crud getting in the gun than that thing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I guess if all you wanted to do was make a fake argument and try to sound intelligent buy (misusing) the word "quixotic" then that would all make sense. Though, the simple use of regular old dumb logic wrecks it by the simple concept of "don't choose to add a huge ambi latch".  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#righthandissueslol

I guess if all you wanted to do was make a fake argument and try to sound intelligent buy (misusing) the word "quixotic" then that would all make sense. Though, the simple use of regular old dumb logic wrecks it by the simple concept of "don't choose to add a huge ambi latch".  

Don't know about windmills but I know I much prefer the charging handle on my Daewoo over the AR's charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Im in the process of assembling a billet non-reciprocating left side charging upper with dust cover and fwd assist .It uses a mil-spec bolt ar15 / m16 . let the hate flow  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Uh, yeah the AK safety definitely offers more protection from crud getting in the gun than that thing.
View Quote
I think you are stretching it a bit. The only exposed surface in both examples is the bolt carrier, not seeing how it offers any additional benefit. The ak safety is preventing stuff from getting into the firing mechanism, not protecting the carrier surface like the AR dust cover does.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

#righthandissueslol

View Quote

#gslpostingignorantshitlol
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I think you are stretching it a bit. The only exposed surface in both examples is the bolt carrier, not seeing how it offers any additional benefit. The ak safety is preventing stuff from getting into the firing mechanism, not protecting the carrier surface like the AR dust cover does.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much every mud/sand/dirt test video with rifles has proven when the dust cover is closed, crud isn't getting in the rifle.

Also the AK doesn't seem to be as failure prone when dirt gets in it than an AR.

But hey, it's not like there are hundreds of videos online that have already gone over this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#39]
charging handle placement and use is a false dilemma of range queens.

In combat, the charging handle should be used when  you enter theater and when you leave theater.

the rest of the time, keep your fucking gun loaded.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Or snap the head off the charging handle. I've done that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

charging handle placement and use is a false dilemma of range queens.

In combat, the charging handle should be used when  you enter theater and when you leave theater.

the rest of the time, keep your fucking gun loaded.
View Quote
This and all of this.

With a side helping of training to correct the most common issues that can malfunction the most, following proportionally for training to correct less and less likely malfunctions. (Which really boils down the tap rack back, clearing double feeds, and clearing motherfucker jams)

Use serviceable mags, inspect ammo while loading, keep stuff kind of clean, or at least not so dirty it binds up... not much to use the CH for.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just want an M4 with non-reciprocating charging handle on the side mounted forward, with a little detented hinge like an HK91. Am I gonna die?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I just want an M4 with non-reciprocating charging handle on the side mounted forward, with a little detented hinge like an HK91. Am I gonna die?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course you're gonna die - we all are, but not from wanting a folding side charging handle.  You'll just get the AIDS that will eventually kill you from wanting that on an AR

Now, maybe if was an ambi, in-the-carry handle top-charging handle like the G36? Maybe just a little hepatitis, then.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean the cocking lever?  The only reason it's set up like that is to give mechanical advantage to overcome the springs locking the rollers in place.  It's form following function.

Of course some sort of retro-fit thing could probably be dolled up. Or some FAL style folding CH. Probably only die from getting laughed at since most peoples AR's are range toys or SHTFantasy weapons anyways.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted: maybe if was an ambi, in-the-carry handle top-charging handle like the G36? Maybe just a little hepatitis, then.
View Quote
They carried that over to the XM-8. Got to play with one when I was in the Marines.

Gross as fuck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How do you clear it without firing the stuck round when it takes 2 grown man pulling on the charging handle to extract the round? There just isn't an easy way to apply a lot of muscle to the stock charging handle. Earlier Stoner prototypes had fixed charging handle and future ones had the charging handle in the carry handle. In this case a knife, stick, or other object could have been used to pull it back with both hands.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you clear it without firing the stuck round when it takes 2 grown man pulling on the charging handle to extract the round? There just isn't an easy way to apply a lot of muscle to the stock charging handle. Earlier Stoner prototypes had fixed charging handle and future ones had the charging handle in the carry handle. In this case a knife, stick, or other object could have been used to pull it back with both hands.  

My AR10's jammed up like this once.  Turns out it was a squib  (powder didnt ignite, or there was no powder)  Jammed the rifle up you couldnt rack it by hand.  I cleared it by turning it sideways (horizontal to the shooting bench) and taping the charging handle into the side of the bench keeping the rifle pointed down range.  Worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Inertia. You might not think it will work, but it either works, or the rim is torn/distorted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or this. but my range wouldnt let me point the loaded rifle at their ceiling lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You mean the cocking lever?  The only reason it's set up like that is to give mechanical advantage to overcome the springs locking the rollers in place.  It's form following function.    

Of course some sort of retro-fit thing could probably be dolled up. Or some FAL style folding CH. Probably only die from getting laughed at since most peoples AR's are range toys or SHTFantasy weapons anyways.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a fal style left side charging upper available.

I'm building an AR that won't have BHO and have been searching for a good left side charger. That one wouldn't make sense for me

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The Ak safety doesn't provide any additional dust protection than an AR side charger does, it's more of a huge hole to the action cover

https://www.rainierarms.com/media/product/49e/mega-billet-side-upper-m0300-by-mega-arms-17e.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.rainierarms.com/media/product/49e/mega-billet-side-upper-m0300-by-mega-arms-17e.jpg

Look into three MAS defense side charger.

I'm going to get one for a build that doesn't have BHO. Kinda unnecessary if you do have BHO, but you do you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Fixed charging handle = reciprocating charging handle = pants-on-head.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top