User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That, I think we can guarantee. 

But this thread is off the rails. What I'm really after is a serious suggestion of what folks would like to see. My lame suggestion so far is to just try and compete in the 1 MOA All Day Long Challenge, and document that failure. Can we do better? 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post lots and lots of pics.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

But this thread is off the rails. What I'm really after is a serious suggestion of what folks would like to see. My lame suggestion so far is to just try and compete in the 1 MOA All Day Long Challenge, and document that failure. Can we do better? 

What rifle does he use for the MOA challenge? I'm sure he has quality glass so you might surprise yourself.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If he owns that .22 TCM give that a try. I think shooting it would be a ton of fun.

He's out around Midland, right?  Get ready for the smells.
View Quote

You mean the smell of money? It's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You hear people say all the time "my gun is more accurate than I am".

Can you run a box o truth on your accuracy shooting off hand at say
45ft, vs. accuracy of the same gun mounted in a device/vice at the same
distance?

9mm vs leather jacket?  Will it penetrate?

Is a 380 a viable defensive round?

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he owns that .22 TCM give that a try. I think shooting it would be a ton of fun.

He's out around Midland, right?  Get ready for the smells.

That is true!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Put bullets in a Ozark cup full of ice and one that's hot and both guys shoot 2 groups of 5 of each and see what the difference is
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Measure a couple 3, 5, 7, 10 round groups and do the statistics on em.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

OK, do that, along with whatever else you come up with.  Same rifle, same ammo.  Shoot some groups and check results.  If his is that much better, why. Get him to walk you through the points and see if you improve, turning it into an O_P teachable moment.

If he can help you then there's hope for the rest of us.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:41:22 AM EDT
[#8]
See if you can shoot equal groups left handed/left eyed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#9]
See if groups are same or different single loading bullets versus magazine fed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
You must agree to the following conditions:

You will not have any cameras while shooting.  No video, no stills.

You will come unarmed, no weapons at all. Weapons means handgun, knife, pepper spray

You will stand to the right, not behind while shooting.

You will be subject to a pat down and/or strip and cavity search.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:43:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

See if you can shoot equal groups left handed/left eyed.
View Quote

I'm left-eye dominant, but I shoot right-handed. That alone should make for...I dunno...something interesting?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You will come unarmed, no weapons at all. Weapons means handgun, knife, pepper spray

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:44:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I added one more.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#14]
See if you can pull trigger with a different finger and still get same  groups.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Swing by liberty on your way back and run the CWT course.  

Last place... waaaay last.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#16]
In....
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:52:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Move to Texas, and this too can be your life. 

Seriously, everybody I've met here is SUPER friendly. It's contagious. It's not hard to adopt it as part of your own persona. You almost feel like you have to. Two months in, and you want to do something nice for a complete stranger. I've done it already. There's a strange culture here that is downright infectious. I think it explains why Texas has, over the last 20 years, lost some of it's rural population, gained some of it's urban population, gained again it's hispanic population, lost some of it's white population, and still managed to actually become more "red" in direct defiance of all that is normal, when it comes to predictions based on demographics. 

And look...there I go turning a light hearted thread into something political - something I'm actively trying to avoid by hanging out with a friend. 

Point being, folks here are just plain super nice. And I'm telling you, it's a pervasive culture that just seeps into you. Not only do you enjoy it as a newcomer, but you have this incredible desire to be just like that wherever possible. It infects everyone. It really does give me hope for the future. In Texas, anyway. God damn (sorry for the language O_P!), I really do love it here. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am jealous  

Seriously, everybody I've met here is SUPER friendly. It's contagious. It's not hard to adopt it as part of your own persona. You almost feel like you have to. Two months in, and you want to do something nice for a complete stranger. I've done it already. There's a strange culture here that is downright infectious. I think it explains why Texas has, over the last 20 years, lost some of it's rural population, gained some of it's urban population, gained again it's hispanic population, lost some of it's white population, and still managed to actually become more "red" in direct defiance of all that is normal, when it comes to predictions based on demographics. 

And look...there I go turning a light hearted thread into something political - something I'm actively trying to avoid by hanging out with a friend. 

Point being, folks here are just plain super nice. And I'm telling you, it's a pervasive culture that just seeps into you. Not only do you enjoy it as a newcomer, but you have this incredible desire to be just like that wherever possible. It infects everyone. It really does give me hope for the future. In Texas, anyway. God damn (sorry for the language O_P!), I really do love it here. 

I've traveled all across the US and have to say that there are very few states with such pride. The Texas flag flies everywhere and this is just a small part of what makes our people made up from all walks of life so proud in this part of the world.

Welcome to Tejas !
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:53:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Take your in-n-out burgers down....

and shoot them. Shoot them into the dirt.

eta: airsoft pistols at dawn, with ol' painless
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I added one more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I added one more.

What about the postal money order sent to aimless for safekeeping?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And I figure I might as well make the best out of heading to the range with my good online friend. It's a 5.5 hour drive down there, and I figure we might as well make the most of it...if at all possible. 

I'm sure we'll take a lot of pictures and stuff, but I wonder - is there something interesting we could do on short notice? Kind of a mini Box 'O Truth? One idea I have (and I haven't shared it with him), is to compete in the 1 MOA All Day Long challenge using one of his rifles (I'm a lousy shooter), since none of mine will do that even when strapped to a mechanical rest. 

But what are your thoughts? I'm mostly heading down there because I haven't fired a single round here in Texas since I got here in August (too busy), and because I really need to just hang out with a friend who just wants to shoot stuff (because it's fun!), instead of discussing politics, or the election, or whatever. I just want to be a "gun guy" again for a bit, and maybe enjoy some good company, some good food, and maybe some good 'ol Southern hospitality. Know what I mean?

I'm just burned out with this election crap. I want to shoot stuff. Shooting stuff is fun. 

So on short notice, what would you like to see? Maybe it'll be a mini Box 'O Truth. Maybe it'll be nothing, and I'll just have a good time in fellowship with a friend. But if it can be something cool for public consumption on short notice...what would it be? 
View Quote

That is an honor I wish I had the opportunity to have.

I've never met O_P but I would love to spend a day on the range and have some beers and food afterwards and cherish his humbleness and knowledge.

You are a lucky man, Subnet.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Take your in-n-out burgers down....

and shoot them. Shoot them into the dirt.

eta: airsoft pistols at dawn, with ol' painless
View Quote
Pistols at dawn, sir. I will put my burgers up against ANY pretender to the throne. Even Whatabuger (yeah, I said it).  With Jalepenos. And Bacon. Sheeeeit, I don't give a fuck. 

Know what? I just might make proper burgers (homemade!) for O_P while I'm there. How about that? 
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:15:04 AM EDT
[#22]
See if you can break three bottles throwed in the air.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:21:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Box-O-Spam?  How many cans of spam do I need to stack in my z-poc bunker to provide cover for various calibers?  

Can a Box-O-Uncanned-Spam be substituted for ballistic gel?  

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am jealous  

we told you you'd love it down here.  you were born a texan.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Lucky you. I would love to shoot with old painless.

Just go have a great time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#26]
What ever you do, it needs to involve the most ridiculously large stetson you can find. In pink.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:00:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Bring a pot and camping stove and make chilli at the range! Document the process.

I'm jealous, I'm secretly planning my move in the next decade, been here my whole life and I barely recognize it anymore. As hypocritical as it seems to move to a state everyone is moving to because out of staters have moved here, Texas is pretty high up on the list.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Can you carve a good pumpkin with a 22?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:46:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

This would be humorous, draw a bolt face or something on a few pumpkins and attempt to carve them with various calibers.

On a more technical note:

Fire a series of groups with rifle and handgun when you arrive and before you leave to see how much (if any) improvement you get just from soaking up the years of knowledge on tap.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:40:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I am jealous, I admit it.

Cool deal.

Anything you shoot with him will be fun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Subnet and Old Painless range trip.

DAY ONE.

Planning the big event.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I am quite jealous of you.  Have fun. :-)
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post lots and lots of pics.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

What about that concealed challenge?  1.5+.5?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like this idea.

Didn't know you moved out of OH. I'm guessing a job took you to Texas. What are you doing down there?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Try some clay pigeons

Shoot long range( not sure if this is available)

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#37]
lucky
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#38]
After the range trip maybe you guys can enjoy some imitation crab meat.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
After the range trip maybe you guys can enjoy some imitation crab meat.

View Quote

Nice

Maybe see what a 30-06 does to a model train
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This would be humorous, draw a bolt face or something on a few pumpkins and attempt to carve them with various calibers.

Fire a series of groups with rifle and handgun when you arrive and before you leave to see how much (if any) improvement you get just from soaking up the years of knowledge on tap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm so traditional I never thought about BFL.  That is a cool idea.  Let them both submit an entry and we will select the victor!  Because shooting stuff is fun.

22 should work, maybe  380 or 38?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#41]
How do you expect Subnet to get home after that?

Quoted:

Flip a coin.

Winner gets to shoot up the other guys car.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#42]
IM sent.  

ETA: Take 635 to 175,then Hwy 69 So. at Jacksonville,right in to Beaumont.
Much better than the freeway to Houston.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Maybe?

I figure the shooting will go down on Saturday morning, but if he invites me to his church on Sunday, I'd probably attend. I'll sing and shit, too. If nothing else, he'll get to brag to the congregation that he brought an Atheist in. 

EDIT: I'm bringing nice clothes, just in case. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you guys going Sunday after church?

Maybe?

I figure the shooting will go down on Saturday morning, but if he invites me to his church on Sunday, I'd probably attend. I'll sing and shit, too. If nothing else, he'll get to brag to the congregation that he brought an Atheist in. 

EDIT: I'm bringing nice clothes, just in case. 

OP's church would rather have 1 atheist than 100 Christians visit their church I assure you.
Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Dang, you're going to be our neighbor this weekend.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Have not met either man but I have a feeling this will be EPIC!

OST
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What is the optimal caliber to remove a locking lugnut?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Miata of Truth!

I want a new car so bad, I'm half tempted to let him blow the fucker to Kingdom Come, just so that I'm forced to buy a Mustang in Beaumont for the ride home.
What is the optimal caliber to remove a locking lugnut?  

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#47]
If you are going to bet on who's a better shot, just schedule the shoot for mid-late afternoon.

Those old codgers get up at the crack of dawn, but their batteries run out by ~2-2:30 in the afternoon. Just don't let him take a nap right after lunch and it'll be in the bag.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Go to church with him this go round and be sure to plan your next trip on a weekend. The good stuff comes on the second trip. Baby steps.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I want a new car so bad, I'm half tempted to let him blow the fucker to Kingdom Come, just so that I'm forced to buy a Mustang truck in Beaumont for the ride home. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Miata of Truth!

I want a new car so bad, I'm half tempted to let him blow the fucker to Kingdom Come, just so that I'm forced to buy a Mustang truck in Beaumont for the ride home. 

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Stock up on the werthers
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top