Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/21/2016 12:32:46 AM EDT
And I figure I might as well make the best out of heading to the range with my good online friend. It's a 5.5 hour drive down there, and I figure we might as well make the most of it...if at all possible. 

I'm sure we'll take a lot of pictures and stuff, but I wonder - is there something interesting we could do on short notice? Kind of a mini Box 'O Truth? One idea I have (and I haven't shared it with him), is to compete in the 1 MOA All Day Long challenge using one of his rifles (I'm a lousy shooter), since none of mine will do that even when strapped to a mechanical rest. 

But what are your thoughts? I'm mostly heading down there because I haven't fired a single round here in Texas since I got here in August (too busy), and because I really need to just hang out with a friend who just wants to shoot stuff (because it's fun!), instead of discussing politics, or the election, or whatever. I just want to be a "gun guy" again for a bit, and maybe enjoy some good company, some good food, and maybe some good 'ol Southern hospitality. Know what I mean?

I'm just burned out with this election crap. I want to shoot stuff. Shooting stuff is fun. 

So on short notice, what would you like to see? Maybe it'll be a mini Box 'O Truth. Maybe it'll be nothing, and I'll just have a good time in fellowship with a friend. But if it can be something cool for public consumption on short notice...what would it be? 
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to see something involving BBQ and guns.  I leave the rest up to you guys.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you guys going Sunday after church?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#4]
See if aiming at the center of a small circle yields larger groups than aiming at the price point of a diamond or square
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Duel?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If he owns that .22 TCM give that a try. I think shooting it would be a ton of fun.

He's out around Midland, right?  Get ready for the smells.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I too have had it with election things. Shooting is way better.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:40:15 AM EDT
[#8]
i vote combine shooting with cooking.

mise en pew-pew-pew
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, driving 5 and a half hours in Texas is like the shortest trip you can take there I think. Seems like everything is a day or two away from each other there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Bring him a bottle of Forty Creek whiskey and tell him it's from me.

I'll even pay for it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe?

I figure the shooting will go down on Saturday morning, but if he invites me to his church on Sunday, I'd probably attend. I'll sing and shit, too. If nothing else, he'll get to brag to the congregation that he brought an Atheist in. 

EDIT: I'm bringing nice clothes, just in case. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i vote combine shooting with cooking.

mise en pew-pew-pew
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If he owns that .22 TCM give that a try. I think shooting it would be a ton of fun.

View Quote

huh.  I thought he was around Houston.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#14]
In before subnet gets dipped in a river.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be right, Beaumont area. Still... The smells.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Hmm, what could we bet on?

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Him being a better shot than me?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also, driving 5 and a half hours in Texas is like the shortest trip you can take there I think. Seems like everything is a day or two away from each other there.
View Quote

When I lived in the panhandle I would have vendors argue with me that it was absurd I wanted to drive to denver or wichita for an emergency part instead of their houston warehouse. I could probably get to omaha quicker than houston.

"sir, you live in texas, houston is closest, that's your warehouse. I can't authorize you to deal with another region if it's in stock in houston"

Same now that i'm in kansas, I can't get them to comprehend that kansas city is twice as far as denver. I swear people don't realize that kansas city is literally as far east as humanly possible to still be partially in the state.

I"m jealous. The box of truth is what got me back into guns, hadn't shot since I was a teen and i stumbled on his c/r articles. Read the whole site over a couple weeks during my off season.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd shoot with either of you. Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, but isn't that a given?

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd shoot with either of you. Have fun!
View Quote

and also this.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Stop by Academy and pick up some Tannerite.  That is if he has a range where you can touch it off.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:55:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bring him a bottle of Forty Creek whiskey and tell him it's from me.

I'll even pay for it.
View Quote
I don't figure him for the drinkin' type. 

I'm expecting (and hoping for) a steady stream of hot black coffee. 

Related:
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And I figure I might as well make the best out of heading to the range with my good online friend. It's a 5.5 hour drive down there, and I figure we might as well make the most of it...if at all possible. 

I'm sure we'll take a lot of pictures and stuff, but I wonder - is there something interesting we could do on short notice? Kind of a mini Box 'O Truth? One idea I have (and I haven't shared it with him), is to compete in the 1 MOA All Day Long challenge using one of his rifles (I'm a lousy shooter), since none of mine will do that even when strapped to a mechanical rest. 

But what are your thoughts? I'm mostly heading down there because I haven't fired a single round here in Texas since I got here in August (too busy), and because I really need to just hang out with a friend who just wants to shoot stuff (because it's fun!), instead of discussing politics, or the election, or whatever. I just want to be a "gun guy" again for a bit, and maybe enjoy some good company, some good food, and maybe some good 'ol Southern hospitality. Know what I mean?

I'm just burned out with this election crap. I want to shoot stuff. Shooting stuff is fun. 

So on short notice, what would you like to see? Maybe it'll be a mini Box 'O Truth. Maybe it'll be nothing, and I'll just have a good time in fellowship with a friend. But if it can be something cool for public consumption on short notice...what would it be? 
View Quote

I am jealous  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:01:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd like to see something involving BBQ and guns.  I leave the rest up to you guys.
View Quote

Or chili. Texas chili vs Cincinnati chili
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:04:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Be sure to call him dad everywhere you go.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Driving 5 hours to shoot with a member? I can't compete with that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already satiated Subnet's desire to see a Texan make 5 way "chili" a few years ago.

No need to make a guy like O_P suffer too.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:06:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I already satiated Subnet's desire to see a Texan make 5 way "chili" a few years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I remember that thread.

I remember that I did my own take on TX chili that was universally hated on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#33]
take along Phuc Long with you
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:08:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am jealous  
View Quote

Move to Texas, and this too can be your life. 

Seriously, everybody I've met here is SUPER friendly. It's contagious. It's not hard to adopt it as part of your own persona. You almost feel like you have to. Two months in, and you want to do something nice for a complete stranger. I've done it already. There's a strange culture here that is downright infectious. I think it explains why Texas has, over the last 20 years, lost some of it's rural population, gained some of it's urban population, gained again it's hispanic population, lost some of it's white population, and still managed to actually become more "red" in direct defiance of all that is normal, when it comes to predictions based on demographics. 

And look...there I go turning a light hearted thread into something political - something I'm actively trying to avoid by hanging out with a friend. 

Point being, folks here are just plain super nice. And I'm telling you, it's a pervasive culture that just seeps into you. Not only do you enjoy it as a newcomer, but you have this incredible desire to be just like that wherever possible. It infects everyone. It really does give me hope for the future. In Texas, anyway. God damn (sorry for the language O_P!), I really do love it here. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:11:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Point being, folks here are just plain super nice. And I'm telling you, it's a pervasive culture that just seeps into you. Not only do you enjoy it as a newcomer, but you have this incredible desire to be just like that wherever possible. It infects everyone. It really does give me hope for the future. In Texas, anyway. God damn (sorry for the language O_P!), I really do love it here. 
View Quote

True story:  My wife was born in California, grew up in Colorado and came down to Texas for college.

First time she went home for break, she walked face first into a door, because after being in Texas for 5 months she expected the guy walking in to the store in front of her to hold the door for her, because that's what would have happened with almost any guy and any door in Texas.  

She's pretty in love with the place too.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I bet the shenanigans will be much different than they were with your trips to shoot with us  
View Quote
He will disown me if I pull that same shit. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

iirc, he's in Nederland (which is Beaumont area).  that's still about an hour and a half from Houston

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Miata of Truth!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#41]
You picked a good time to go.  2 months ago the weather there may have melted you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Miata of Truth!
View Quote

I want a new car so bad, I'm half tempted to let him blow the fucker to Kingdom Come, just so that I'm forced to buy a Mustang in Beaumont for the ride home. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:25:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I want a new car so bad, I'm half tempted to let him blow the fucker to Kingdom Come, just so that I'm forced to buy a Mustang in Beaumont for the ride home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Miata of Truth!

What is the optimal caliber to remove a locking lugnut?

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Post lots and lots of pics.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Miata of Truth!

7.62x54

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
7.62x54

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Miata of Truth!

7.62x54

AP.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Post lots and lots of pics.

View Quote
That, I think we can guarantee. 

But this thread is off the rails. What I'm really after is a serious suggestion of what folks would like to see. My lame suggestion so far is to just try and compete in the 1 MOA All Day Long Challenge, and document that failure. Can we do better? 
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What I'd bet on is how long it takes before you start having a Texican accent and start calling oil (Oyl) Ol or Tires (Tyres) Tars.

We already know O_P can shoot, and shooting stuff is fun.

Otherwise, he can probably educate you a bunch on food.

ETA: And food is what Texas has to offer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Miata of Truth!

Make sure you can get the wheel nuts off in case you have a flat !

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Miata of Truth!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top