BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 4 minute warning has been known for decades.......even made it to MTV before some of you were old enough to whine about this red herring.  Americans are truly ignorant and overly reactive people.

4 Minute Warning
View Quote

did you even read the description in the video you linked to?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This ... and the OP has a tank???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not classified. This was on 60 Minutes like a month ago.

Just because something os on "60 minutes" doesn't mean it is not classified.

This ... and the OP has a tank???

I phrased it as a ? In Grammar School ? Means Q u e s t i o n

Thanks for answering the ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
How/why is that classified to begin with?

I would have guessed it would take 4 or 5 minutes to make all of the necessary calls and whatnot.  If that's 'classified' that's pretty lame.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The 4 minute warning has been known for decades.......even made it to MTV before some of you were old enough to whine about this red herring.  Americans are truly ignorant and overly reactive people.

4 Minute Warning
View Quote

MTV does not equal official confirmation that particular information is classified.  Coming from the mouth of a high ranking government official is confirmation.

Talk about ignorant...

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Trump could have won the election right there.  If he had a pointed out that Hillery just disclosed one of our most closely held bits of classified info  to 100 million people and all of our adversaries and pointed out that she just committed a FELONY on national TV and ask for one of the FBI, US Marshals or SS ....hell even a sheriff to immediately arrest her. This gig would be over.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would have guessed it would take 4 or 5 minutes to make all of the necessary calls and whatnot.  If that's 'classified' that's pretty lame.
View Quote

I don't want anyone to know how fast I can defend Myself ...so there's that
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
and No I'm not hot linking do it yourself
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the thing, you could make assumptions on how long it would take but that's all it was, an assumption. No one really knew how long it would take for us to defend ourselves until last night. Now everyone and their dog knows it takes about 4 minutes.

It's tactical knowledge and I don't want the enemy to know how long it's going to take for me to retaliate or whatever the case is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

shhhhh.

This is a grown up subject for grown up countries.

Just sit there and be Canadian, OK?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Liberals say nobody knows but Hillary, thus we can't prove that 4 minutes is correct. Therefore she did not do anything wrong because only she can verify it.

They're saying that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Liberals say nobody knows but Hillary, thus we can't prove that 4 minutes is correct. Therefore she did not do anything wrong because only she can verify it.

They're saying that.
View Quote

Every time I hear a liberal defending her I am more and more convinced that liberalism is without a doubt a mental disorder.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok, can someone explain why this is a big deal? I mean, from a strategic standpoint how is this compromising information? Wouldn't it be safe to assume we have a very tight window between the call and the response? Four minutes could be a very short time or a very long time, I honestly don't know which is which in this scenario.
View Quote

If our enemies thought it took 15 or 20 mnutes for a response it's a big as fuck deal. Now they can adjust strategic plans so that if they decide to conduct a first strike it will be under 4 minutes to keep our counter strike from happening.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ah, shades of the Daisy ad.

1964, Johnson campaign ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k
View Quote

Interview in 2012 with child actress

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If our enemies thought it took 15 or 20 mnutes for a response it's a big as fuck deal. Now they can adjust strategic plans so that if they decide to conduct a first strike it will be under 4 minutes to keep our counter strike from happening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, can someone explain why this is a big deal? I mean, from a strategic standpoint how is this compromising information? Wouldn't it be safe to assume we have a very tight window between the call and the response? Four minutes could be a very short time or a very long time, I honestly don't know which is which in this scenario.

Wouldn't it take something like 20 or 30 minutes for an ICBM to launch from Russia or Pakistan or wherever before impact?

That's why I don't get the whole 4 minutes thing.  

Whether it's 4 minutes or 7 minutes and 18 seconds, there's still lots of time respond back if you had to.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
shhhhh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

shhhhh.

Lol...
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If there's one thing she remembers it's "4 minutes to launch" and Trump is the dangerous guy....
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it take something like 20 or 30 minutes for an ICBM to launch from Russia or Pakistan or wherever before impact?

Whether it's 4 minutes or 7 minutes and 18 seconds, there's still lots of time respond back if you had to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all missiles will come from Russia or the other side of the planet.  There are these fancy submarine things that carry missiles too.  Missiles from subs have a window of minutes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Trump could have won the election right there.  If he had a pointed out that Hillery just disclosed one of our most closely held bits of classified info  to 100 million people and all of our adversaries and pointed out that she just committed a FELONY on national TV and ask for one of the FBI, US Marshals or SS ....hell even a sheriff to immediately arrest her. This gig would be over.
View Quote

Hot damn I love this place lately!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not all missiles will come from Russia or the other side of the planet.  There are these fancy submarine things that carry missiles too.  Missiles from subs have a window of minutes.
View Quote

This. A decapitation attack from a sub or disguised surface vessel has always been one of the nightmare scenarios, and the exact response time would be crucial to an attacker planning such a strike.

Regardless of prior rumors or guesses, for an authoritative figure to publicly announce such information which is almost certainly classified TS/SCI is a very bad thing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

shhhhh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

shhhhh.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]
If I remember right NORAD/Cheyenne Mountain would call the Patriot missile batteries in say Israel or Saudia Arabia to tell that NORAD's satellites had picked up the IR plume of a SCUD missile launch from inside Iraq.

So I am assuming we have the same sort of satellite technology watching all lands within the former Soviet Union for such IR plumes.  I am also assuming that we have the same tech watching for subs launching a missile from the ocean.

I thought our window to respond from launch inside Russia to impact here inside CONUS was more like 90 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Canada's nuclear defense is not having anything worth nuking.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

shhhhh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

shhhhh.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#24]
FHRC
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#25]
http://www.snopes.com/clinton-four-minute-nuclear/

Our Nuclear Procedures Are Crazier Than Trump

U.S. presidents are currently given a four-minute window to decide whether or not to initiate an irreversible apocalypse. Sad!

At the front end, it takes a minute for the Russian missiles to break through the clouds, another minute for U.S. satellites to detect the launch and relay the report to a ground station in Germany, and another two minutes for the North American Aerospace Defense Command — the folks best known for tracking Santa Claus — to confirm that an attack is underway and notify the person designated by the president. At the other end of the timeline, once the president has given the order to launch, there must be enough time to format the order as an emergency action message (EAM) and transmit it. The launch crews have to receive and authenticate the EAM, run through the launch sequence, and then fire the ICBMs so that they are clear of their silos before Russian nuclear weapons start striking them.

All those steps leave something like eight minutes from the first call to the White House to the last moment at which the president can act.

Much of those eight minutes is lost to the task of informing the president. The first call to the White House isn’t to the president, of course. It is to a person designated by the president for this task. (Well, probably the military assistant to that person — another minute ticks off the clock.) In November 1979, that person was Zbigniew Brzezinski — then-President Jimmy Carter’s national security advisor and father to Mika, who was sitting next to Scarborough, solemnly shaking her head at the idea of Trump with the bomb.

You should really watch Zbig tell the story, though the bottom line is that he recalled having only three minutes to decide whether or not to inform the president, after which the president had four minutes to decide whether or not to retaliate. At the end of his three minutes, Brzezinski’s military assistant called back to tell him it was a false alarm — someone had left a training tape running. Brzezinski went back to bed. He never woke his wife, by the way. He decided that if it was a Soviet nuclear attack, it was better to let her die in her sleep.

What is amazing about these timelines is how much time is lost to purely mechanical or administrative steps, from detecting the launches to finding the president. What if the president is asleep? Playing golf? In the toilet? Debriefing an intern? This is why the president has a military aide shadowing him or her with the “president’s emergency satchel,” better known as the “football.” Everything has to be ready, at all times. At most, the president will have a few minutes to think about what to do or weigh courses of action. Slocombe’s article is about the importance of “preplanned options” — the fact that, in a nuclear crisis, the president doesn’t have time to do anything other than select from a limited menu of preselected options for ending the world.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/08/05/our-nuclear-procedures-are-crazier-than-trump/
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey ... a man needs a fantasy
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#27]
We can only hope that our Dithering Dickhead in the white house isn't faced with this situation, and be thankful that he hasn't been so far.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#28]
So if it was truly top secret information, the question becomes "How long does it take the FBI, or Homeland security to arrest her?"
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]
See, if we elect Trump, the whole issue is academic, since the real question will be how long it takes the bad hombres to respond to a nuclear launch.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well, it's in a suitcase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She's fucking retarded. Even if Trump were the trigger happy nuke launcher that they are painting him as he wouldn't be able to do shit if the country opposed the actions. They act like there is a big red button on the oval office desk to scare the idiots into believing Trump will cause nuclear war.

A suitcase nuke?

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

NCA = POTUS and SECDEF

SECDEF, which the POTUS chooses must concur... and if s/he doesn't concur, he is FIRED and replaced on the spot with someone more agreeable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
She's fucking retarded. Even if Trump were the trigger happy nuke launcher that they are painting him as he wouldn't be able to do shit if the country opposed the actions. They act like there is a big red button on the oval office desk to scare the idiots into believing Trump will cause nuclear war.

Plus the two man rule.

Kharn

NCA = POTUS and SECDEF

SECDEF, which the POTUS chooses must concur... and if s/he doesn't concur, he is FIRED and replaced on the spot with someone more agreeable.

uhm, doesn't a new sec def have to be confirmed by the senate?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A suitcase nuke?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A suitcase nuke?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

4 Minute Warning
View Quote

No, that is something different, that specifically says 4 minutes from time of russian launch to detonation on BRITISH soil.
What she is talking about is 4 minutes from time US president order launch, until we actually launch...
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A suitcase nuke?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

So would it be called a snuke? And it could potentially be in close proximity to hillary?

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever hear of sub launched ballistic missiles?  Probably 10-15 minutes from launch to impact.
Air launched cruise missiles?   Especially since the russians and possibly chinese have ones capable of supersonic flight.
Get close enough to the coast, and you will be lucky to have four minutes once launch is detected and comminucated.  Especially if the president has to be heavily medicated to sleep without pain, and can't be woken up quickly.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If I remember right NORAD/Cheyenne Mountain would call the Patriot missile batteries in say Israel or Saudia Arabia to tell that NORAD's satellites had picked up the IR plume of a SCUD missile launch from inside Iraq.

So I am assuming we have the same sort of satellite technology watching all lands within the former Soviet Union for such IR plumes.  I am also assuming that we have the same tech watching for subs launching a missile from the ocean.

I thought our window to respond from launch inside Russia to impact here inside CONUS was more like 90 minutes.
View Quote

90 minutes, are you daft?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accurate damage reports are coming in @ 90 min.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

shhhhh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

shhhhh.

He's got to stick his nose into the discussion in order to obliquely defend Hillary lest the criticism of her get too strong.

Thank goodness he doesn't get to vote; one less vote for Hillary Clinton.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That 4 minute response is the time it would take Russian missiles to reach London. It was not our response time to launch ours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 Minute Warning

That 4 minute response is the time it would take Russian missiles to reach London. It was not our response time to launch ours.

Let's play along for a minute and assume this time table has been previously reported. It's one thing for a journalist to theorize and make estimates. It's much worse for any govt official, let alone one of the most senior govt officials, to actually confirm this information.

Hating people is wrong, but I've made an exception for this bitch
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At 90 minutes most of humanity is dead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:13:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A suitcase nuke?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A suitcase nuke?

Or a nutcase in a suit, pantsuit that is
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bah!  More State secrets!  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say that for whatever reason that an enemy sub, tanker outfitted with missiles or some other delivery vehicle parks itself out in the Atlantic close enough to launch within that 4 minute window. We are definitely at a disadvantage. She should be detained right now. If someone in the military were to disclose something like this they would be spending considerable time in Leavenworth. It is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Not even close.

Even in worse case exchange, most of the US population will live through it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The cities will not do too well, but that might solve another problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubt I'd make it through an exchange.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

What is counterforce vs. countervalue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might. Maybe.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

First, if it's classified, it's classified. I personally have seen shit pulled from public sources marked classified. Makes no sense, but it is what it is. It's not the first time a public speaker has dropped some knowledge on the mike for whatever reason, too.

Second, knowing what our planning to execution time is a critical tidbit. What if you can move and deploy a tactical strike in that window  to sever that chain? What if you can get all your stuff out of the silos and in play before we can respond and splash them on the ground?

What if, since you know it takes Nnn minutes, and two have elapsed, you know where they are in the decision making process? What if you get to minute five and so you know we aren't retaliating?

You can assume, and make educated guesses, and try to piece it together via clandestine means, but I'm betting that shit was close hold and valid and she screwed up. I wish Trump had called her on it. It would be the piece of resistance.

Bitch, there you go again! Want me to look at your notes and draw c's all over it. Oh yeah, you don't know what that means...

Edit -

Let me add another thought. If some blowhard on the net says, yeah, from launch indication to EAM is 3.5 minutes, we can all roll our eyes. But when a person who has hanged out in the oval office, held a job that might need to know that information, and then says it with conviction, she lends credence to the disclosure. That's why she shouldn't say things like that as specifically as she did, even if she was wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, if it's classified, it's classified. I personally have seen shit pulled from public sources marked classified. Makes no sense, but it is what it is. It's not the first time a public speaker has dropped some knowledge on the mike for whatever reason, too.

Second, knowing what our planning to execution time is a critical tidbit. What if you can move and deploy a tactical strike in that window  to sever that chain? What if you can get all your stuff out of the silos and in play before we can respond and splash them on the ground?

What if, since you know it takes Nnn minutes, and two have elapsed, you know where they are in the decision making process? What if you get to minute five and so you know we aren't retaliating?

You can assume, and make educated guesses, and try to piece it together via clandestine means, but I'm betting that shit was close hold and valid and she screwed up. I wish Trump had called her on it. It would be the piece of resistance.

Bitch, there you go again! Want me to look at your notes and draw c's all over it. Oh yeah, you don't know what that means...

Edit -

Let me add another thought. If some blowhard on the net says, yeah, from launch indication to EAM is 3.5 minutes, we can all roll our eyes. But when a person who has hanged out in the oval office, held a job that might need to know that information, and then says it with conviction, she lends credence to the disclosure. That's why she shouldn't say things like that as specifically as she did, even if she was wrong.

They'd first have to order the response. As we have already proven H can't decide on a response in 13 HOURS to a situation one step down on the OHSHIT! list, I'd expect a response on the 12th of never.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top