BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alright.  Have an interest in this.

Really debating if I want to think the 6 second mount would let stuff live longer since it is not riding with the slide all the time vs. milling slide or the version that goes in the rear slight slot.

I read someone posting about 12k rounds in 3 or so years.

I fully agree that if messing with it and serious then trijicon prices are what I should look at if wanting more than a range toy.

And even for range toys, I hate stuff tearing up.
View Quote

No question the 6 second mount will be easier on electronics and will also be better for shooting which is why most all competition guns are set up that way. What everyone who keeps talking about 6 second mounts seems to be ignoring is that they also make the gun huge and not suited to concealed carry. There are a few holsters set up for conventional strongside carry but it is still a very bulky package.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No question the 6 second mount will be easier on electronics and will also be better for shooting which is why most all competition guns are set up that way. What everyone who keeps talking about 6 second mounts seems to be ignoring is that they also make the gun huge and not suited to concealed carry. There are a few holsters set up for conventional strongside carry but it is still a very bulky package.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really debating if I want to think the 6 second mount would let stuff live longer since it is not riding with the slide all the time vs. milling slide or the version that goes in the rear slight slot.

I fully agree that if messing with it and serious then trijicon prices are what I should look at if wanting more than a range toy.

What I was considering, is a 6 second mount just to see if I like the concept.
I have a couple of small red dots amd could put the 6 sec on my 17L, if I dont like it, just sell the mount and I'm only out a few dollars.
I agree with the size factor, no way am I gonna carry a 6 sec pistol around, range toy only.
Any thoughts ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have a couple of small red dots amd could put the 6 sec on my 17L, if I dont like it, just sell the mount and I'm only out a few dollars.
I agree with the size factor, no way am I gonna carry a 6 sec pistol around, range toy only.
Any thoughts ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts ?

If you have never shot a pistol with a dot it is certainly one way to start but they are two totally different experiences. Me personally I would probably just get one of the mounts that have been used in USPSA and steel forever and top it with a Cmore which is a nice big objective to shoot with. If you are going to be in harms way or really beating it up a T1 or the like would certainly make sense.

The slide mounted dots are a whole different world. Harder to pick up, smaller objective, reciprocates with the slide obviously.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Any thoughts ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts ?

Agreed. But I can't really carry with the Aimpoint Micro knockoff that's slide mounted either.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Agreed. But I can't really carry with the Aimpoint Micro knockoff that's slide mounted either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts ?

Why? They're not huge. While they are bigger than the slide mounted stuff having it directly on the slide makes holsters a lot easier.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does lint and crud get on the RMR lens and obstruct the dot ever?
View Quote

This is my biggest worry with having one on a ccw. Between lint and sweat it could gum and crud up the lens enough to make it almost useless when you might need it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why? They're not huge. While they are bigger than the slide mounted stuff having it directly on the slide makes holsters a lot easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts ?

Maybe they're just huge on me. I dunno.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Any thoughts ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts ?

The dueck defense mount will be a better comparison. Having irons helps acquiring the dot and you can carry it to see if its viable for you
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is my biggest worry with having one on a ccw. Between lint and sweat it could gum and crud up the lens enough to make it almost useless when you might need it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I clean my screen about once a week pistol is carried iwb 6-7 days a week from when I wake up till I go to sleep even when it does get dirty it's still usable
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The RDS doesn't make much difference at 5 yards and in for speed but stretch that out to 15-100+ yards and speed and accuracy increase a lot. If it wasn't a big advantage you would see the top guys shooting irons and beating the open class guys, but we all know that doesn't happen. The RMR and Deltapoint Pro have made reliability a non issue if properly installed. People try a RDS a couple of times and decide it doesn't make an difference, wrong, it is a training issue. Once you learn how to shoot a RDS it is a game changer. I shot a Vickers class this summer with my duty 34 MOS and RMR. All I heard was the whining about it being an open gun and it wasn't fair. No shit! In a gunfight I want every advantage I can get and the RMR is a big advantage. Nobody would choose to go into a gunfight without optics today on a rifle, handguns are just catching up. RDS have been used in USPSA 20 years now. If you buy a quality RDS, mount it properly and actually learn to shoot it, it is night and day compared to irons. Yes you still have irons, same as my rifle with a bombproof Aimpoint because sometimes shit happens.  The keyboard commandos that shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards(still haven't seen these groups in person) will be fine without an RDS but the people that actually shoot will improve.
View Quote

In theory I agree with you 1000%. Optics are a huge force multiplier with rifles and I really think they will get there with handguns.

In terms of pure accuracy at 25 yards there is zero difference. I scored a 266 with a g19 with rmr, my vertec, and my m9a1 compact. I shit you not. Same fucking score. I really couldn't believe it and started laughing when I scored all 3 targets.

Now, the HUUUUGE benefit with optics in a fight is what you're focused on. Whith irons you focus on thefront sight. With an optic you focus on the threat. As a citizen making sure a threat is a threat is very important and its easier with an optic.

Im still not 100% sold on them for me to carry. I just need more time with shooting them. Ive only shot with one static. Id like to do some outdoor drills with one to make a better comparison.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I was kicking around which service to use to cut my gen 2 19 or getting a new slide altogether when I saw that One Source has their L-mount on sale for $60 right now. I went ahead and got one just to go ahead and get the RMR on my pistol and some rounds down range this week to decide if I like the whole set up or not before I get the slide milled. If I like it I'll send the slide off and put this on my 17 until I can get a RM06 and that slide cut as well.

I'll let everyone know my experience with One Source and this mount as I can.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if anyone will "shrink down" this sort of tech for optics?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long do you intend to let crud and shit accumulate? A simple spit and rub would be sufficient to clear it up if you let it get that bad.  I mean do you check to make sure your magazines are loaded? Check to make sure your sight isn't FUBAR once in a blue moon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Co-witness iron sights > non-cowitnessed sights

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I like the way that c/w works out, can the optic be had in another dot color besides red, such as green or yellow ?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I like the way that c/w works out, can the optic be had in another dot color besides red, such as green or yellow ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some models are available with amber or green dots
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess I am the outlier.  
I had an H1 on a glock, took it off.
put another one on with a 6 second mount.  

great for the gaming play.

But for CCW?  I am engaging in and around 10 yards for center of mass while moving.  I'll be lucky to see a dot.  Another electronic failure point.  In the house same thing.  At night, I have a light where center of light is where the bullet goes.  

for rifles, you are now expanding to hundreds of yards.  a very big win for rifles.

for pistols?  a tight group at the range is cool.  its also irrelevant IMHO for defensive pistol carry.

If you are doing hostage rescue and making headshots on terrorists at 25 yards, well, that's different.

Defensive pistol is one area where good enough is good enough and don't let perfect be the enemy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i65.tinypic.com/t4xt1l.jpg

Thanks, that stands out for me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

The the auto adjusts by clicking both buttons right?

What about the motion detection for battery saving?  I'm curious about battery life.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But for CCW?  I am engaging in and around 10 yards for center of mass while moving.  I'll be lucky to see a dot.  Another electronic failure point.  In the house same thing.  At night, I have a light where center of light is where the bullet goes.  

for rifles, you are now expanding to hundreds of yards.  a very big win for rifles.

for pistols?  a tight group at the range is cool.  its also irrelevant IMHO for defensive pistol carry.

If you are doing hostage rescue and making headshots on terrorists at 25 yards, well, that's different.

Defensive pistol is one area where good enough is good enough and don't let perfect be the enemy.
View Quote

You aren't a total outlier... that's pretty much what I said way back on page 1.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I understand exactly what you mean, that's why I'm still on the fence.
I know I will eventually cave and try it, just to see if my eyes get some help.
I am the type of person that does practice regularly and dry fire at home, so might help the learning curve and the speed issue.

So if I do a mill cut and don't like the rmr concept, can I have a plate made to fill in the void and go back to the way I was ?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You aren't a total outlier... that's pretty much what I said way back on page 1.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So if I do a mill cut and don't like the rmr concept, can I have a plate made to fill in the void and go back to the way I was ?
View Quote

You're doing it wrong.  If you don't like the dot sight, you buy a threaded barrel for that gun and now it's a suppressor host.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am the type of person that does practice regularly and dry fire at home, so might help the learning curve and the speed issue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or use that to justify buying a new sidearm.
M&P CORE
G19/ G17

See, win win  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
After spending some time trying to like slide mounted RDS on carry guns I'm firmly in your camp.

For the conditions and realistic scenarios I carry a gun for the juice just isn't worth the squeeze at this point in time.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Had a retinal detachment that has fucked up my right eye and my ability to see iron sights. Having an RMR put on my edc  g26. Should be back any day now...
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Had a retinal detachment that has fucked up my right eye and my ability to see iron sights. Having an RMR put on my edc  g26. Should be back any day now...
View Quote

Please report in after you get used to it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

M&P CORE
G19/ G17

See, win win  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M&P CORE
G19/ G17

See, win win  

Yep, ya know me well, cause that is exactly what would happen, More Glocks and suppressor hosts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone using the Chevron/Pyramid on the Trijicon ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know about as an edc but they work great in competitions
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense , but , Just HOW filthy are you ?
Don't you take the gun off at least once or twice per week?

I remove mine every night, not hard to do a quick check then, or in the morning when you put it on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Found a used one..RMR 06
How is the 3.5 dot for those that use em, this would be on a daily cc G19 ?
I do shoot/train/practice, so I would not expect miracles without practice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Almost 30 years of shooting under my belt...

Numerous shooting schools, full time LEO, competitions, I try to shoot at least once a week and I'm comfortable with my pistol skills.

I've been thinking about trying the RMRs and concerned about having too many reps on irons to make the switch.

A lot of guys in the know consider the RMR as the future so I'm pulling the trigger

Just grabbed a new G34 gen 4 and a Trijicon RMR 06. Getting ready to send the slide to Jager Werks for milling.

Irons will be black from Ameriglo.

So my question is with the RMR milled into the slide it sits as low as possible. Will suppressor  height sights co-witness?

I keep hearing co-witness is more natural than lower third but I'm open to suggestions....

Thanks for you help.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#36]
It's worth it, took a learning curve but I am past that.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Almost 30 years of shooting under my belt...

Numerous shooting schools, full time LEO, competitions, I try to shoot at least once a week and I'm comfortable with my pistol skills.

I've been thinking about trying the RMRs and concerned about having too many reps on irons to make the switch.

A lot of guys in the know consider the RMR as the future so I'm pulling the trigger

Just grabbed a new G34 gen 4 and a Trijicon RMR 06. Getting ready to send the slide to Jager Werks for milling.

Irons will be black from Ameriglo.

So my question is with the RMR milled into the slide it sits as low as possible. Will suppressor  height sights co-witness?

I keep hearing co-witness is more natural than lower third but I'm open to suggestions....

Thanks for you help.
View Quote

Suppressor height sights will give you basically a lower 1/3 cowitness with most mill jobs. I haven't seen one that is absolute.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's worth it, took a learning curve but I am past that.

http://i.imgur.com/wn2ndd9.jpg
View Quote

What model ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Found a used one..RMR 06
View Quote

A co worker has that model on his ed brown. I actually prefer the 9moa amder dot in my 05. Its a little faster for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A co worker has that model on his ed brown. I actually prefer the 9moa amder dot in my 05. Its a little faster for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found a used one..RMR 06

3.5MOA is teeny-tiny.  6 and 8 MOA are the most common dot modules the USPSA open guys use in their C-Mores.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

3.5MOA is teeny-tiny.  6 and 8 MOA are the most common dot modules the USPSA open guys use in their C-Mores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found a used one..RMR 06

Thanks to both of y'all, I thought so but didn't wanna pass up a good deal.
I will wait and find another.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found a used one..RMR 06

If it's a good deal, by all means, buy anyway.  Put it on your rimfire practice gun.  Learn to acquire the tiny dot fast, and you'll be able to pick up the big dot on your carry gun even faster.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I love it but it's a very different approach than what we've all been doing for years.

If you can't go from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without having an existential crisis it may not be for you.

;)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If it's a good deal, by all means, buy anyway.  Put it on your rimfire practice gun.  Learn to acquire the tiny dot fast, and you'll be able to pick up the big dot on your carry gun even faster.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found a used one..RMR 06

Was not that great a deal
Ok, I am down to liking the adjustable led, but prefer the green dot
How bad is the washout on the dual illuminated model, I have been reading reviews, some say shade to sun makes it worthless?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#45]
IMO a laser would be more useful for closer ranges.  Most of the time you see shootings they are so close people don't remember even using the sights.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#46]
You can crank the power on the little dot which makes it bigger.

Playing around my house/yard with all the bad lighting that effects the light the worst does wash it out but I still find it usable.

fwiw i got it from the ee for $300. Keep looking.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
IMO a laser would be more useful for closer ranges.  Most of the time you see shootings they are so close people don't remember even using the sights.
View Quote

So they'll remember to activate a laser?

People with more training tend to use their sights.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree. I am one of the few that likes lasers and have carried them for years but they are extremely limited in their application. Just about worthless in any kind of bright light and slower than conventional sighted fire. In the situation they do work they are fantastic but in my opinion they are a add on tool and not a replacement for sights of any kind.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is that a RDS is useless at short range, like within 3 yards.  And pressure switches exist.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My point is that a RDS is useless at short range, like within 3 yards.  And pressure switches exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not buying what you're selling, doesn't add up.
I shoot regularly and even do some drills at 9ft, I still use my sights.
I look for my front sight, I'm not gonna look for a laser dot.

I played with a laser a few times and what I think it is very useful for, is training, that lil red beam shows you every bit of movement you are making, even when you swear you aren't.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top