Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I fent

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fent

<a href="http://s639.photobucket.com/user/fjfolk/media/5E1520C5-40AC-4515-A34A-E28A0A22BCCF_1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/fjfolk/5E1520C5-40AC-4515-A34A-E28A0A22BCCF_1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Your thread has caused me to get off the fence, gonna find used if I can, already got my machine shop picked out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Agreed but it is not a barrier to making the shot either.  It becomes a giant ghost ring.  A lot of people are point shooting at that distance anyway.

Quoted:

My point is that a RDS is useless at short range, like within 3 yards.  And pressure switches exist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMO a laser would be more useful for closer ranges.  Most of the time you see shootings they are so close people don't remember even using the sights.

So they'll remember to activate a laser?

People with more training tend to use their sights.

My point is that a RDS is useless at short range, like within 3 yards.  And pressure switches exist.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I disagree. I am one of the few that likes lasers and have carried them for years but they are extremely limited in their application. Just about worthless in any kind of bright light and slower than conventional sighted fire. In the situation they do work they are fantastic but in my opinion they are a add on tool and not a replacement for sights of any kind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMO a laser would be more useful for closer ranges.  Most of the time you see shootings they are so close people don't remember even using the sights.

I disagree. I am one of the few that likes lasers and have carried them for years but they are extremely limited in their application. Just about worthless in any kind of bright light and slower than conventional sighted fire. In the situation they do work they are fantastic but in my opinion they are a add on tool and not a replacement for sights of any kind.

What percentage of incidents happen during clear, bright conditions?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I took Gabe Suarez's class on using optics and the drills he taught were excellent. He stresses doing exactly what you have been doing, draw and find the iron sights.  We did that and wow, the red dot was there also.  Having Co Witness is necessary and simple.  Within 2 hours all of us were firing at 50 meters and gettint the same scores we were getting at 15 meters with Iron only.  Actually I've almost got Mas Ayoob ready to give them a solid try.  Marty Hayes is thinking about having a class using the red dot.  
I think that the Reflex sight will become very common in the tactical-ccw world soon.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Bang, bang.  Where's the dot? Oh, there it is. Bang, bang. Where's the dot? Oh, there it is.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have them on both of my carry guns. Typically carry the compact most often.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea. Sights and Red dots work pretty much all the time though.

Even in overcast gray light laser aren't ideal especially if the target is wearing material that doesn't reflect well. Some fabrics swallow the dots up.

Like I said I like lasers and have them on both of my primary carry pieces. They are both Crimson Trace lasers so they are on automatically which I believe to be important. My response was simply stating that lasers are a secondary sightinging system not a primary.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
red dot sights truly are faster once you get used to them. It's why they win in competition. It shaves off a point of focus so you're looking at dot and target, not rear sight, front sight, target. I had one set up for a while, and I really liked it. I will have one again. Sold it to buy a house. but red dots are getting to be really small, solid, respectable, and will be incorporated into more pistols. I agree that it's a training issue, it really takes some getting used to if you've shot iron sights like I have for your whole shooting career. I'm also happy enough that I still have young eyes, so that helps.

I shot my first match with a dot and I was blown away. I was sitting there waiting for the iron sights to appear the whole time the dot was floating on the target. once I realized that's what I was doing, I started shooting faster and faster and still making good hits. A few more weeks of honest practice and I would have made the switch full time. I find I was point shooting in close, and then like everyone has said it makes for a big ghost ring.

The pros:
Faster to aim with training
able to make accurate shots at distance
less focus on sights

Cons:
expensive. a used M&P is $400. but add 200 for milling and new sights and another $400 plus for the optic...
takes some getting used to
a possible failure point
add bulk, holster troubles

Once more companies come out with milled options from the factory to save that milling charge, and sights are proving to be reliable, we will see more and more set ups with them. Carry optics TOOK OFF! so is PCC. People are starting to break out of old ways and embrace new things that work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
got limited since I'm new... above post continued:

I'm a fan of doing what works best for you. It's all a trade off. do I think I'll need to make a head shot on a moving target at 230 yards? Hope not. But my main carry gun (range officer compact) has a lightened slide, night sights, smooth trigger, and green laser. I want every advantage I could get. Next set up may be double stacked with an RMR. time will tell.

shoot it a few times and see if you like it. I did. I have not decided if the cost and trouble are worth it yet, but leaning towards yes.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Been considering the 12.9 green triangle.
Decided to see how it would look on a target as far as size of moa, it helped me visualize it.
I'm sure there are some online pics but this is mine.
Here are my results, I'm sure someone will tell me if my math is wrong, I rounded if that matters.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Even in overcast gray light laser aren't ideal especially if the target is wearing material that doesn't reflect well. Some fabrics swallow the dots up.

Like I said I like lasers and have them on both of my primary carry pieces. They are both Crimson Trace lasers so they are on automatically which I believe to be important. My response was simply stating that lasers are a secondary sightinging system not a primary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How well do red dots work from retention?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you post some videos of how much faster/more accurate you are shooting from retention with a laser vs without?

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No offense , but , Just HOW filthy are you ?
Don't you take the gun off at least once or twice per week?

I remove mine every night, not hard to do a quick check then, or in the morning when you put it on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does lint and crud get on the RMR lens and obstruct the dot ever?

This is my biggest worry with having one on a ccw. Between lint and sweat it could gum and crud up the lens enough to make it almost useless when you might need it.

I remove mine every night, not hard to do a quick check then, or in the morning when you put it on.

It's Texas, it gets hot, I sweat like most people do sometimes. Just a few drops easily pool in the lense and make things blurry. Then there is lint, dust, grass, etc.(I'm outside most of the time.)

That said I do have a g20 and m&p core with rm06's on them. I carry the core iwb sometimes and generally have to clean the lense every time after I carry it. Maybe I'm just more anal about clean optics. There seems to be more glare back at the shooter off the rmr lense than I'm used to from other reflex sights.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't usually use sights from retention do you or am I missing something?? What's your point?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Can you post some videos of how much faster/more accurate you are shooting from retention with a laser vs without?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Waiting to find a laser spot to on a threat close enough to take your gun away sounds like booking a one-way trip on the Amber-Lamps Express to me.  

Visible lasers are an excellent training tool, a possible non-lethal force option, and a "might not be a bad tool to have in the tool box" as far as defensive use.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Got this back today.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Very nice, gonna put sights on it ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks. I have a more detailed story in the Glock forum section. But to answer the question, not at this time. I need to get some trigger time to determine if suppressors sights will be of any benefit to me. I'll probably buy a threaded barrel for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#20]
How do you like the light and how many lumens is it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#21]
ALG Six Second Mount makes more sense to me its not moving its not getting beat to shit by recoil.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like it. Streamlight states it is 100 lumens. It is bright enough for its intended purpose. I wish the battery life was a bit longer (1hr), but I don't run around using it as a flashlight either.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.  Waiting to find a laser spot to on a threat close enough to take your gun away sounds like booking a one-way trip on the Amber-Lamps Express to me.  

Visible lasers are an excellent training tool, a possible non-lethal force option, and a "might not be a bad tool to have in the tool box" as far as defensive use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you aren't sure there's a threat, and if there is a threat, you're not sure how far away they are, but you do know you have to move through tight quarters? Do you suggest as is in the below picture?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know.  I shot a 3 gun match recently with close steel targets and forgot to put on my real glasses, just had sunglasses on.  I hit them all in good time and couldn't even see the front sight.  Kinda melted into the rear in a big black blur.

Seems to be overkill and extra complexity to me especially at pistol fighting ranges.  But I need to try it before I know for sure.  I guess if you get a little extra advantage with no downside it's a win.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And if you aren't sure there's a threat, and if there is a threat, you're not sure how far away they are, but you do know you have to move through tight quarters? Do you suggest as is in the below picture?
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1062991/thumbs/o-2-GUNS-TRAILER-570.jpg?3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1062991/thumbs/o-2-GUNS-TRAILER-570.jpg?3

No, I would keep both hands on the gun.  In tight spaces elbows can bend and bring the gun in closer to the body, but still in front of the eyes pointing where you're looking.  Are you gonna cruise around like this when a threat is in play?

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's Texas, it gets hot, I sweat like most people do sometimes. Just a few drops easily pool in the lense and make things blurry. Then there is lint, dust, grass, etc.(I'm outside most of the time.)

That said I do have a g20 and m&p core with rm06's on them. I carry the core iwb sometimes and generally have to clean the lense every time after I carry it. Maybe I'm just more anal about clean optics. There seems to be more glare back at the shooter off the rmr lense than I'm used to from other reflex sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does lint and crud get on the RMR lens and obstruct the dot ever?

This is my biggest worry with having one on a ccw. Between lint and sweat it could gum and crud up the lens enough to make it almost useless when you might need it.

I've carried mine AIWB for a few years now, in the tropics.

The anodizing on the RMR and the finish on the sights and rear of slide is faded from rubbing against my sweaty manly abs.

Yes sweat, lint, what have you has found its way down the lens.  But it's never gotten to a point it wouldnt work even at its worst.

I was using a holster with no hood at all for the RMR for most of that time.  I got a custom holster made that covers it up now and it is less of an issue, not that it was even an issue before.  I just did it because i didnt want to wear down my RMR finish to bare aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, I would keep both hands on the gun.  In tight spaces elbows can bend and bring the gun in closer to the body, but still in front of the eyes pointing where you're looking.  Are you gonna cruise around like this when a threat is in play?

http://www.thortrains.com/getright/xpistolhipshot1.jpg
View Quote

Nope, he's not protecting his head.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Also, where the hell is the 6 second mount that works with gen 4 glocks?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The "Gen 3" ones work with Gen 4.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ALG Six Second Mount makes more sense to me its not moving its not getting beat to shit by recoil.
View Quote

Little big for a ccw and holsters are tough
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Shot some 4 inch groups today at 25 yards. It's decent.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p264/sirsqueeboo/P1020559_zpsv8wbubdz.jpg

Then why does ALG say it only works with gen 3? I was thinking of buying a gen 3 just for the mount
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have them on both of my carry guns. Typically carry the compact most often.

https://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/rugster_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1004.jpg
View Quote

What's the mounting situation and what holster do you use for the compact?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Come Thursday,
I will be installing an RMR/raised Dawson sights on a Glock G40 10mm for a custo.

How long before it starts losing zero/flickering on and off with all the reciprocating slide punishment?

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

is that blood on there??
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Red dot HK is best HK.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:25:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I've shot a couple of pistols with red dots, and personally don't care for them.

I get quicker target acquisition and faster follow up shots with regular open sights.

Having said that, a lot of people really seem to like them.
View Quote

I've had the same experience.  I really want to like them though.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

is that blood on there??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

is that blood on there??

Likely.  Cola Warrior West is rough for us low landers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#39]
What's the longevity for those sights getting beat back and forth on a pistol slide?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What's the longevity for those sights getting beat back and forth on a pistol slide?
View Quote

Hope it's pretty good, got the dual illuminated version coming to me soon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

whiich one?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

It varies quite a bit. Know a couple high volume competition shooters that have been through several dots due to breakage. Most shooters seem to be fine but I don't think most of them shoot any real volume so it's hard to compare.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Over on Pistol Forum Doc Roberts has a very long thread where he has been using one for the past five years.  They've held up well for him so far.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

whiich one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

whiich one?

I opted for the big boy..12.9 green triangle.
I'm about to start getting rid of all my red stuff, my eyes really like green.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It varies quite a bit. Know a couple high volume competition shooters that have been through several dots due to breakage. Most shooters seem to be fine but I don't think most of them shoot any real volume so it's hard to compare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only way I would do this is with a dual illuminated RMR, and I'd still expect breakage at some point. I'm a big Trijicon fan and have owned enough of their product to see more than one failure-my open bolt subgun ate my RX34 by loosening the lens retaining rings and chipping the glass, I'd imagine an RMR would also suffer at some point.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

whiich one?

The green is great in the day and gives good target contrast, but the lens tint they have to use is very dark. Might as well be an occluded eye gunsight in the evening and morning hours.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The green is great in the day and gives good target contrast, but the lens tint they have to use is very dark. Might as well be an occluded eye gunsight in the evening and morning hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, that is good to know.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Update for my experience:

I bought a Suarez L-mount to make sure I liked the idea, which I did, so I sent my slide off to Jagerwerks to have my slide cut.  I sent it off on Friday of last week and they received it on Monday.  I got a shipping notice Wednesday and it delivered today, a day earlier than the estimated Saturday (tomorrow) delivery.  I have to say, I'm very impressed with their workmanship and turnaround.  I sent my entire slide assembly and the RMR and they installed it and then laser aligned everything, all for $125 shipped back to me.  The only thing I wish I had done was purchased one of their sealing plates, as the one I received from Suarez is not compatible with their cut.

Seriously, if you want to get your slide cut, send it to Jagerwerks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Amazon has them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update for my experience:

I bought a Suarez L-mount to make sure I liked the idea, which I did, so I sent my slide off to Jagerwerks to have my slide cut.  I sent it off on Friday of last week and they received it on Monday.  I got a shipping notice Wednesday and it delivered today, a day earlier than the estimated Saturday (tomorrow) delivery.  I have to say, I'm very impressed with their workmanship and turnaround.  I sent my entire slide assembly and the RMR and they installed it and then laser aligned everything, all for $125 shipped back to me.  The only thing I wish I had done was purchased one of their sealing plates, as the one I received from Suarez is not compatible with their cut.

Seriously, if you want to get your slide cut, send it to Jagerwerks.

Amazon has them.

Jagerwerks has them for $10 and free shipping, which saves you $2-5 depending on which item you get from Amazon.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top