Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
3 weeks ago I shot a range rental M&P wth leupold deltapoint, and a RMR equipped FNX45.

First thought, I hated the Delta point. After shooting a few mags it became very easy to erase the bullseye and see nothing but Backstop through the target.

RMR is amazing
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Police departments are slowly evaluating and acquiring these.  Mostlu limited swat only for now, but we have several classes a year now where firearms instructors are testing them and building momentum.

Is coming, but don't see it prevent for at least several years.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
RMR EVERYTHING.

My SHTF pistol, sub gun, range pistol, and carry gun all run RMR's.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RMR EVERYTHING.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/disgookonfiya/Guns/18859938-EE46-4237-92DB-72C7C62AAF58_zpsptwp3ysd.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
RMR EVERYTHING.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/disgookonfiya/Guns/18859938-EE46-4237-92DB-72C7C62AAF58_zpsptwp3ysd.jpg
View Quote

What a rookie. A real operator puts a short scope on everything.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RMR EVERYTHING.

What's a short scope?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Though cool looking, I liked using a Laser more. But i did have an the RMR (not LED), so it was harder to see.
A laser doesn't require aiming down the sights, but it does require low light.   I'd probably just get both in the future.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a FF3 8 moa in a Dueck Defense mount on my ccw 19.

Fuckin love it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll get back to being interested when there are QD mounts available.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Tried it about 5 years ago on a Glock 34. My accuracy at long distance increased but my times up close were slower. Decided it wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm planning to buy a G34 soon and researching the advantages between a MOS and dedicated cut for a Trijicon RMR.

Also looking at the different RMRs they offer.

I'm settled on battery powered for my use but dot size I could use some recommendations from users.

This will be a range gun for the most part though I carry a different G34 on duty with a X300U.

Thoughts or recommendations...?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm planning to buy a G34 soon and researching the advantages between a MOS and dedicated cut for a Trijicon RMR.

I'm settled on battery powered for my use but dot size I could use some recommendations from users.

This will be a range gun for the most part though I carry a different G34 on duty with a X300U.

View Quote

I use the 1 MOA RM09 model on my G19 that I carry. I definitely feel like the 6.5 MOA RM07 on my M&P is way too big.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#14]
My M&P9 with a RMR.  The holster was custom made.  I call the holster the Crusader

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How are you liking Obsidian?  I put in the Form 4 in May, along with a Form 1 for my CZ Scorpion.  Plan on pairing those for the most time, but I'm an M&P whore, so my M&Ps will wear it a lot.  I've got a full size, compact, shield, and a long slide CORE.  I'm REALLY debating throwing a red dot on the CORE, you think it works well?  Can you see the irons at all?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Benefits: more accurate shots at longer ranges due to smaller dot.
Don't have issues with multiple focal planes, can focus on the target and not have blurry front sight; old man eyes.
Don't have to align up sights rear to front, front to target; especially on weird off angle shots
Should not be any slower to use than irons if you practice.
Use above a suppressor if you carry that way

Issues: possible battery issues
Possible fogging issues in winter
Possible sight failure due to mechanical issues
Possible issues with water or foreign material on the screen to prevent a clear view of the red dot or backup irons
Possible learning curve.
Possible astigmatism issues with red dot.

Back up irons help mitigate some of the issues above.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=92067" />

How are you liking Obsidian?  I put in the Form 4 in May, along with a Form 1 for my CZ Scorpion.  Plan on pairing those for the most time, but I'm an M&P whore, so my M&Ps will wear it a lot.  I've got a full size, compact, shield, and a long slide CORE.  I'm REALLY debating throwing a red dot on the CORE, you think it works well?  Can you see the irons at all?

I like it.  Hardly any blow back with the above shown gun and quiet on the scorpion. I would not shoot my scorpion without it.  The module installed makes it really quiet and it very noticeable from the short to long configuration. Yes with the Performance Center model that I have you can see the irons through the rmr screen without an issue.  It is somewhere between a lower 1/3 cowitness and an absolute cowitness where the irons are see through the screen with that particular rmr and PC sights.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#16]
If you cant shoot with worth a shit with irons they will not make you a better shooter. I have tried them but prefer irons.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I have some on my target pistols, and they work great for that.  I would not think they provide any benefit in a situation like a car jacking or mugging or anytime that you would have to instantly draw and shoot, but who knows.

They do look cool though.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My M&P9 with a RMR.  The holster was custom made.  I call the holster the Crusader

<a href="http://s184.photobucket.com/user/CnAPhot/media/firearms/Crusader%20holster1_zpszqw9aldn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x166/CnAPhot/firearms/Crusader%20holster1_zpszqw9aldn.jpg</a>
View Quote

That holster is fucking sweet!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Not sure what you mean by better shooter but I can tell you in the many defensive handgun classes I have taken my groups are much smaller and shoot quicker at 25 yards with an rmr than iron sights.  The front sight covers the entire upper body on a man size target at 25 yards while using trijicon hd sights.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I like them on my 22 too.
" />
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=92087" />
View Quote

Nice, I have the same setup on my 22/45 but with olive VZ's.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you cant shoot with worth a shit with irons they will not make you a better shooter. I have tried them but prefer irons.
View Quote

Your the only person I have heard of saying that. if anything it shows mistakes your making shooting irons
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually they will.

I use my wifes rmr with new shooters who cant even hit the paper
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love shooting this gun and quiet with the Axiom. Do you have a picture?

Not much left from ruger on this one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Rootbeer will fuck it up

6sec mount and T1 is best
View Quote

As soon as I buy a G34, the 6 Second mount will be purchased.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm really considering picking up a G19 MOS and an RM06 just to give it a try.

For a long time irons on rifles were the only way to go since optics were either not rugged enough or to large to be practical. Then optics improved and now an optic on a fighting rifle seems like a requirement. I think we might be seeing the same transition now with handguns.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#27]
This is considered a handgun in michigan and I used a deltapoint pro on it.
" />
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I use the 1 MOA RM09 model on my G19 that I carry. I definitely feel like the 6.5 MOA RM07 on my M&P is way too big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.  I have a big dot on a G19 EDC.  My next one will be a small dot.

I recommend a low mount custom cut to accomodate irons...not because the dot will fail, but because irons will help in getting used to the dot.

Dont worry about finding the dot.  In the beginning build muscle memory by finding the front sight first like a non-RDS gun.  The dot will automatically be there.  

After some honest working at it you will build enough memory to have the dot in the window most of the time and to go straight to it without needing to index off irons.

Then the accuracy advantage of the small dot will really shine, with little to no speed penalty IME.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#29]
2 weeks ago I would have answered "seems dumb" to this question.

Then I used an optic-equipped pistol (that I normally dont' shoot well, G17) for the Polish Plate Rack at CWE4 and...well...

Who can mill my M&P slide for an optic? Plz?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Then I used an optic-equipped pistol (that I normally dont' shoot well, G17) for the Polish Plate Rack at CWE4 and...well...

View Quote

Lots of people do that nowadays, one that always sticks in my head is Doug at ATEI...gorgeous work!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I recommend a low mount custom cut to accomodate irons...not because the dot will fail, but because irons will help in getting used to the dot.

Dont worry about finding the dot.  In the beginning build muscle memory by finding the front sight first like a non-RDS gun.  The dot will automatically be there.  

After some honest working at it you will build enough memory to have the dot in the window most of the time and to go straight to it without needing to index off irons.

Then the accuracy advantage of the small dot will really shine, with little to no speed penalty IME.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other way to do this is suppressor hight sites
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

no milling needed

Your friend, Google is
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I need to find a list of vendors that offer slide milling.  I only know of Suarez and my step-dad had a pretty raw experience with them and he said he wouldn't recommend them for that service again.

Anyone know of such a list or know who else offers it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

no milling needed

Your friend, Google is
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no milling needed

Your friend, Google is
I've considered the dovetail mount, but the milling is still kind of attractive as I was going to move to suppressor height sights anyway (because suppressor) and the cowitness would be dope.

That's not really possible with the dovetail  mount, unless someone knows something I don't. And while 50 bucks isn't a bridge too far or anything, it's also like, 1/4 of what it would cost (max) to mill the slide anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just swapped upper to the rail only version.  Here it is ready for the dot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've considered the dovetail mount, but the milling is still kind of attractive as I was going to move to suppressor height sights anyway (because suppressor) and the cowitness would be dope.  
That's not really possible with the dovetail  mount, unless someone knows something I don't. And while 50 bucks isn't a bridge too far or anything, it's also like, 1/4 of what it would cost (max) to mill the slide anyhow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no milling needed

Your friend, Google is

The dueck defense mount has irons
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no milling needed
Your friend, Google is

"Made for GLOCK Handguns. For use with Trijicon RMR Red Dot."

Soooo, that's out. :-/

edit: I take it back. That might be an option...Anyone ever used one of these? Is the super-short sight radius any kind of issue? (esp when it's basically only for emergencies and "dot finding"...)

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Really well made hunk of steel. My wifes g19 still fits in its raven holster. The irons really help for dot finding.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Some thoughts after 5+ years of running an RMR on my guns 24/7/365. G19/RMR01(my EDC) and a G34/RMR06.

I am not a fan of workaround gimmicks to mimic a properly set up RDS gun. They are often disappointments...Not sure you want to pull the trigger,? Go rent an MOS Glock at the range, shoot someones gun, attend an RDS Pistol class.

Slides cut for an RMR are the best route...it gets the RMR into a slot tight enough if cut properly to provide complete lockup, zero shift and prevents failure of component add ons used to mount the RMR/RDS when a dedicated slide cut is not used. It also lowers the sight closer to the center axis of the bore, moves the CG/moment of the RMR closer in line with the centerline of the slide. The amount of metal removed in the milling process is almost identical to the weight of the RMR so there is little to no added weight to the slide of an add on aftermarket component. The lower the RMR is in the slide the more easily it is to get solid co-witness with the irons (suppressor height). Irons are ESSENTIAL to successfully transitioning to the RMR'd pistol...think of them as training wheels...learning to ride again...some even turn the RMR OFF during initial training to gain muscle/brain memory by concentrating on getting a perfect sight picture with the irons within the RMR's sight window. Once the RMR is turned on the dot is easily found. Some transition almost seamlessly. Some take a while, some give up too soon.

Battery life with a Trij RMR is 1+ years constant on...I simply change mine EVERY year on my birthday.

Never...ever reuse RMR mounting screws, they are inexpensive and if one shears off its often a PITA to remedy. A small I mean small dab of Blue Loctite or Blue Permatex Gel thread locker should be used. Best is to apply enough to paint a few threads and let it get a little tacky. Too much can cause hydraulic lock and gum up the extractor if it leaks into that channel. If your having extraction issues after installing you may be using the wrong length screw on that side.

Rain-X is fine (confirmed by two different Trij reps) for keeping an RMR sight window clean and fog free.I check my sight window for dust ever time I don.

There are plenty of dedicated RMR cut slides on the market now. There are lots more people cutting slides for them...go with a reputable guy...if your local guy has cut a 100 or more hes probably OK but not unless...Ive seen a couple of slides buggered up by competent smiths so deal with a pro...a cut for an RMR and a set of decent co-witnessing suppressor sights (non tritium) should cost you NO MORE THAN $200-$250. on your supplied slide.

Like Nike said...Just do it....
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Really well made hunk of steel. My wifes g19 still fits in its raven holster. The irons really help for dot finding.

View Quote

Yep!

And if you were planning to replace the Glock factory sights anyway, the cost of the Dueck Defense RBU is pretty much a wash. Huge plus for me is how you can install everything yourself with a $8 Glock front sight tool, a brass punch, and a hammer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doug at ATEi. He did my M&P on the last page and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Some thoughts after 5+ years of running an RMR on my guns 24/7/365. G19/RMR01(my EDC) and a G34/RMR06.

I am not a fan of workaround gimmicks to mimic a properly set up RDS gun. They are often disappointments...Not sure you want to pull the trigger,? Go rent an MOS Glock at the range, shoot someones gun, attend an RDS Pistol class.

Slides cut for an RMR are the best route...it gets the RMR into a slot tight enough if cut properly to provide complete lockup, zero shift and prevents failure of component add ons used to mount the RMR/RDS when a dedicated slide cut is not used. It also lowers the sight closer to the center axis of the bore, moves the CG/moment of the RMR closer in line with the centerline of the slide. The amount of metal removed in the milling process is almost identical to the weight of the RMR so there is little to no added weight to the slide of an add on aftermarket component. The lower the RMR is in the slide the more easily it is to get solid co-witness with the irons (suppressor height). Irons are ESSENTIAL to successfully transitioning to the RMR'd pistol...think of them as training wheels...learning to ride again...some even turn the RMR OFF during initial training to gain muscle/brain memory by concentrating on getting a perfect sight picture with the irons within the RMR's sight window. Once the RMR is turned on the dot is easily found. Some transition almost seamlessly. Some take a while, some give up too soon.

Battery life with a Trij RMR is 1+ years constant on...I simply change mine EVERY year on my birthday.

Never...ever reuse RMR mounting screws, they are inexpensive and if one shears off its often a PITA to remedy. A small I mean small dab of Blue Loctite or Blue Permatex Gel thread locker should be used. Best is to apply enough to paint a few threads and let it get a little tacky. Too much can cause hydraulic lock and gum up the extractor if it leaks into that channel. If your having extraction issues after installing you also my be using tge wrong length screw on that side.

Rain-X is fine (confirmed by two different Trij reps) for keeping an RMR sight window clean and fog free.I check my sight window for dust ever time I don.

There are plenty of dedicated RMR cut slides on the market now. There are lots more people cutting slides for them...go with a reputable guy...if your local guy has cut a 100 or more hes probably OK but not unless...Ive seen a couple of slides buggered up by competent smiths so deal with a pro...a cut for an RMR and a set of decent co-witnessing suppressor sights (non tritium) should cost you NO MORE THAN $200-$250. on your supplied slide.

Like Nike said...Just do it....
View Quote

Thoughts on BUIS suppressor sight in front or behind the optic?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I love my RMR on my P-09. Moving targets are easy and it also shows you exactly what you're doing wrong.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Ok well I'm gonna troll the black friday deals to try and find a decent deal and go from there I gueeeeess.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Thoughts on BUSINESS of a suppressor sight in front or behind the optic?

Ok...beans or no beans?

My thoughts...more gimmick. The front sight on an RDS gun belongs EXACTLY where the front sight is on a non RDS gun...battery or sight failure...do you want an extremely short 1" or so sight radius or the full length factory radius? The rear sight on an RDS gun belongs EXACTLY where the rear sight belongs on a non RDS gun. Most rearward portion of the gun providing the clearest visual image to the shooters eye. Lots of faux innovation out there in the name of coolness and being one off or different. The default if an RDS fails should be exactly the same as the stock gun.

RMR are rugged but do fail (I have seen only 1)

On tritiums vs blacks...tried a set of trits on my gun as what I thought was  an upgrade (?) Got a great deal on a set. I ran them for a couple of range sessions and pulled them off, tooo busy with 4 dots in my window, some like them I do not...plain black suppressor sights for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I love my RMR on my P-09. Moving targets are easy and it also shows you exactly what you're doing wrong.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/90Z51/Guns/P-09/WP_20150227_17_16_52_Rich.jpg
View Quote

Saaaaaweet gun...I have drooled over one of those for a while....
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ok well I'm gonna troll the black friday deals to try and find a decent deal and go from there I gueeeeess.
View Quote

Trij has some funky pricing policies...you can sometimes find a decent deal on one but dont expect to hit the deal of the century on one...try the EE...bought several there...
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I spent too much on a DP pro for my g19. Nice little optic, but I'm not a red dot on pistol kind of guy. Going to sell it when I get time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thoughts on BUSINESS of a suppressor sight in front or behind the optic?

Ok...beans or no beans?

My thoughts...more gimmick. The front sight on an RDS gun belongs EXACTLY where the front sight is on a non RDS gun...battery or sight failure...do you want an extremely short 1" or so sight radius or the full length factory radius? The default if an RDS fails should be exactly the same as the stock gun.

RMR are rugged but do fail (I have seen only 1)

On tritiums vs blacks...tried a set of trits on my gun as what I thought was  an upgrade (?) Got a great deal on a set. I ran them for a couple of range sessions and pulled them off, tooo busy with 4 dots in my window, some like them I do not...plain black suppressor sights for me.
View Quote

I don't know skipper. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to get decent hits with a 1" site radius. I was sceptical at first but once I tried it my confidence in the dueck defense mount was established.

I was about to get the slide milled when I found the dd mount. Considers that it mounts the rmr, includes sights, and still allows the use of the holsters I already have I think its a worthy option.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I found my wifes rmr on the ee for $300
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top