Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/27/2016 10:36:43 PM EDT
Within my collection of assorted long guns, I'm down to one USGI M1 rifle and one USGI M1 carbine. I've got 500 + rounds of M2 on clips for the M1 and 2,000+ rounds for the carbine plus 10 USGI Mags. I haven't been without at least one of each in over 30 years, but I've lost interest in them. Ammo for the M1 is never going to be cheap and plentiful on the surplus market again. The carbine won't do anything an AR15 can't do.

I was really just hanging on to them because I thought the kids might want them someday. It doesn't look to be the case. The M1 is a CMP service grade from the mid 90's. The carbine is a rebarreled Blue Sky import from the late 80's. Both are in great shape and would bring a good buck, especially the way the market is now.

I'm probably going to sell them both off with the ammo, Mags and accessories. Maybe use the proceeds to build that varminter I've been meaning to get to, and add some more .223 to my stock.

What do you all think; Keep the obsolete (for lack of a better term) G.I. rifles, or sell them while the market is hot?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep the Garand and ditch the carbine would be my choice.

30-06 is always a good choice, 30 carbine not so much

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple answer is to keep them and get new kids.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Simple answer is to keep them and not get new kids.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't sell them, put them in the back of the safe and forget about them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Disown your ungrateful, disloyal, communist children and keep the rifles.

Then go to church and pray for forgiveness
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

I concur.  Not too many things can say FUCK YOU like a 30-06 Black Tip.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
That would be a terrible decision.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Will you adopt me?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

For what?  I thought you had to sin to be forgiven.

Deuteronomy says that lazy, ungrateful, disloyal, wrong-headed children are to be taken to the city gates and stoned to death... as an example to others.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Dibs on the carbine?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Strike while the iron is hot
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my new SIG line
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

There you go...

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I wouldn't sell them, put them in the back of the safe and forget about them.
View Quote

Sure the price will only go up in time, consider them an investment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#17]
That is one of the most depressing OPs I've ever read.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought about this myself
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I have too many shittier rifles to consider getting rid of before considering selling my M1 carbine.  I don't have a Garand.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Gonna go against the grain, here, and suggest you do sell the rifles you have lost interest in.  Give 'em a good home with someone who appreciates 'em.

If you're sure the kids won't keep and treasure them, sell 'em and use the funds to buy what you want and will use, enjoy and appreciate.

Life's too short to keep ugly guns or guns you no longer value.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]
If you don't like them anymore, you don't like them anymore.  They are just guns.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Those guns don't cost anything just sitting in the safe increasing in value. Maybe boot the carbine if you really want to lose one. Keep the Garand. I don't sell guns not made anymore to replace with something new made by everybody.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

...What do you all think; Keep the obsolete (for lack of a better term) G.I. rifles, or sell them while the market is hot?
View Quote

Without knowing your circumstances in more detail I can't say, but it would not be a bad decision either way (sell or not sell) IMO.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.  

and......Testing new sig line
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I could build a kick ass AR for what I would sell my Garands and Carbines for.  Or I could just shoot them every so often and save some money and still have a kick ass AR. Instead I built some mediocre ARs I don't shoot much and shoot shoot the crap out of my Garands and carbines.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yup.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Keep both. For the historical value.

I have a Standard Products carbine, original in pristine condition.  Safe queen.  I wish I had the bucks to get a Garand to make her company.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess I should have been more clear about the kids. They are gunners. They are into the AR's. Easy carry, light recoil, good mag capacity, accurate, easy to accessorize. The heavy old wood and steel doesn't do much for them. I've always been nostalgic the the WWII era weapons. My Dad used the M1 rifle and M2 carbine in Korea. He's gone and frankly, the 20th century wars and the men who fought them don't resonate with most young people these days. They are too far removed. So, I get their disinterest.

Anyways, like I said, I've always been a bit nostalgic about them, but I've been taking a more practical view over the past year or so. I'm in my 50's. I don't really shoot them anymore. My kids don't want them, albeit, something they may regret some day.) What the hell am I going to do with them?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#31]
KEEP BOTH.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Honestly OP, if you are getting older or in bad health, I'd consider selling them.  Better than you dying and them ending up with children who would turn them in at the next gun buyback.  For sure sell them if you're in NY or CA.  Get them out of a ban state before they end up melted down if something happens to you.  The EE is a good start.  Most here would appreciate them.  

ETA: Looks like you answered above.  I'm going back to Fluffy's answer
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#33]
AR15s are a dime a dozen in any configuration. Both m1s are pure history. I like the ww2 stuff more than anything. I'm thinking of selling the rest of my ak and SKS stuff, polish UF, AMD 65, and m92.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I guess I should have been more clear about the kids. They are gunners. They are into the AR's. Easy carry, light recoil, good mag capacity, accurate, easy to accessorize. The heavy old wood and steel doesn't do much for them. I've always been nostalgic the the WWII era weapons. My Dad used the M1 rifle and M2 carbine in Korea. He's gone and frankly, the 20th century wars and the men who fought them don't resonate with most young people these days. They are too far removed. So, I get their disinterest.

Anyways, like I said, I've always been a bit nostalgic about them, but I've been taking a more practical view over the past year or so. I'm in my 50's. I don't really shoot them anymore. My kids don't want them, albeit, something they may regret some day.) What the hell am I going to do with them?
View Quote

I know a young Marine from Mississippi. He is a fine young man. Whenever he talks to me, he is so respectful.  He always calls me, "sir". He is extremely honorable and a true patriot.

If I lived in the US, I would leave him several rifles in my will.  I would suggest you consider doing the same thing.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Within my collection of assorted long guns, I'm down to one USGI M1 rifle and one USGI M1 carbine. I've got 500 + rounds of M2 on clips for the M1 and 2,000+ rounds for the carbine plus 10 USGI Mags. I haven't been without at least one of each in over 30 years, but I've lost interest in them. Ammo for the M1 is never going to be cheap and plentiful on the surplus market again. The carbine won't do anything an AR15 can't do.

I was really just hanging on to them because I thought the kids might want them someday. It doesn't look to be the case. The M1 is a CMP service grade from the mid 90's. The carbine is a rebarreled Blue Sky import from the late 80's. Both are in great shape and would bring a good buck, especially the way the market is now.

I'm probably going to sell them both off with the ammo, Mags and accessories. Maybe use the proceeds to build that varminter I've been meaning to get to, and add some more .223 to my stock.

What do you all think; Keep the obsolete (for lack of a better term) G.I. rifles, or sell them while the market is hot?
View Quote
I'll trade my Kimber Warrior for the Garand if it's still in decent shape.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Simple answer is to keep them and get new to the kids.
View Quote

This is why i still have them
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah, now I'm no longer depressed.

With that info, I'd try to convince one of them of how awesome both rifles are, especially the carbine. If your children eventually have kids of their own, that's a great rifle for older kids.

If that fails, sell the carbine now while prices on them are still ridiculously high. I don't think Garand prices have yet peaked.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Give it a few years (if you don't need the money).  Kids' tastes change.  I'm not sure how old yours are, but when it wasn't until my 30's that I really started appreciating/liking wood and steel.  Before that it was all tacticool all the time.  I've converted to wood and steel.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Tim, I am your father.....  Give them to me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I know a young Marine from Mississippi. He is a fine young man. Whenever he talks to me, he is so respectful.  He always calls me, "sir". He is extremely honorable and a true patriot.

If I lived in the US, I would leave him several rifles in my will.  I would suggest you consider doing the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This actually has my interest. I don't really need the money. I'll just buy more guns and ammo with some of it. Probably waste the rest. This gives me reason to pause before making a decision.

Edit;

I think I'm moving back from the ledge a bit.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Rifles I never plan on selling:
1. Go-to AR
2. M1
3. M1 carbine
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Dad??
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I thought about this myself
View Quote

How much you want? IM me
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#45]
IDK, OP, I've gone both ways.

Sold an SKS for 8 oz. of silver, and never looked back. It was a Yugo that I sold for twice what I paid, it ran like a top but I hated everything about it.

Earlier this year, I had to sell a couple wheel guns when I was out of work and hard up for dough. I'd lost interest in both, but it still burned my ass selling them.

If I were you, I'd keep 'em both, but that's just me. Guns have always been a safety net for me, a source of food, protection, or money/ trade when times get bad. Times have rarely gotten bad for me, but when they have, they've carried me through.

If you're meh about 'em, I'd post an add somewhere for way more than they're worth, and wait for some dolt to bite.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Keep them.  The kids will want them once they realize how much they mean to you.

I have my dad's 1947 Winchester 30-30 Flat band.  He passed away in 1997.  I hardly ever shoot it, but it reminds me of him every time I see it in the safe.  It's an heirloom that will be passed on to one of my kids.

If not, if you happen to live near me, I'll take them off your hands....
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll give ya $500 for both
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll never part with my Garand. What other rifle makes it comfortable to fire 80 rounds of 30-06 in a day? My 700 hurts after about 10 rounds.

It's a shame your kids don't appreciate what a fine rifle a Garand is. Maybe hold on to it for a grandchild or nephew?

Anyway, I stopped selling or trading away firearms after doing so with some I wish I'd kept.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#49]
CMP threads have me thinking your stuff will go up in value.  The game is if that value matters to you and if ar stuff gets more expensive how well the two will follow each other.

I currently do not plan to sell my other stuff.  I like it.  I have some sweat and classes invested in it.

And at the same time I think of the ammo and classes it could pay for with what I am changing over to these days.

Right now, enjoyment overshadows the value I would get selling the older stuff.

Next year, that might change.  If values were to go up on everything, I could see selling some of my older stuff off for just ammo and a class or two.

I am sort of trying to work this year as all in on ar stuff cause it is cheap, I play low end stuff.  So even if ar stuff goes up next year or later on, I won't be as affected trying to buy ar stuff.

But ammo is the weak point.  Always.  It sometimes keeps me up at night for a bit.  Selling some stuff off and adding in 5 or 10 cases of ammo or really going all in and getting in 20 cases of ammo and a lot of reloading stuff really makes one think a bit.

I have some other areas I am messing with, hobbies, where I can sell some odds and ends I do not use and do not plan to ever use again so for now the fal and 1911s and stuff are ok.

But dang if I don't feel like I went full circle.  Started on firearms with glocks and ar15s, and went all over the place, and now back to glocks and ar15s.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Will you adopt me?
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top