BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think there is some flag on me that prevents me from ever getting called for jury duty.
View Quote

Same. I have never been called.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I showed up to jury duty once (the only time I've been called so far). It was for child custody.  I told the judge I had things to do and got out of it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I did pretty much the same thing, I never call & I've never heard anything about it, this was probably 12 - 13 years ago in California.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you don't send back the questionnaire here, you'll get a visit by a Deputy with papers regarding a court date for you.
View Quote

Kinda different when the jury pool is 9 people.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tell them you are incredibly forgetful, which is clearly supported by your failure to report, and that you most likely will fail to recall
any details of any case you might be put on.
View Quote

That's how you get chosen FOR a trial. By the defense.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Call them up, explain what happened, and ask them how to reschedule, or how they would like to proceed.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was sent a summons last month and i stuck it on the fridge as a reminder. I am happy to serve and do my civic duty and I let my employer know what was up.

Today I got home from my 60th consecutive 12 hour day of work and considered just how exhausted I am I decided to have a beer.
As I opened the fridge I noted the summons. The 2nd day that I was to report was FUCKING TODAY!

I missed it completely. The end of a rough day just got exponentially worse.
I plan to call tomorrow at 9AM and ask how to fix the issue so I can serve.

So, anyone ever fuck up like this? What happened to you or "your friend"?
I plan to take a toothbrush, comfy shoes and cash and go down see the Man.

Call them up, explain what happened, and ask them how to reschedule, or how they would like to proceed.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That is fucking retarded. No cop is ever going to serve on a jury. That judge is a god damn moron....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Worked around courts all my career. Unless it is certified mail there is not much they can do. Interesting side story...I was subpoenaed  on an agg. assault case along with a couple other cops. They were no shows. The judge called me to the bench and gave me two newly written capias' and told me to go arrest my buds just the way they were. Brought one in in sweats and a wife beater and the other in cutoff shorts and T-shirt. Booked them in, told the judge. He said come back before shift change and bring them up. They spent 6 hours in jail, got fined, and suspended.

That is fucking retarded. No cop is ever going to serve on a jury. That judge is a god damn moron....

RIF.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, the same thing happened to me last month. Turns out my pool wasn't called until Thursday of the week. You might be in the clear.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell them you missed and defer it to a Wednesday. Nothing happens on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

RIF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Worked around courts all my career. Unless it is certified mail there is not much they can do. Interesting side story...I was subpoenaed  on an agg. assault case along with a couple other cops. They were no shows. The judge called me to the bench and gave me two newly written capias' and told me to go arrest my buds just the way they were. Brought one in in sweats and a wife beater and the other in cutoff shorts and T-shirt. Booked them in, told the judge. He said come back before shift change and bring them up. They spent 6 hours in jail, got fined, and suspended.

RIF.

LOL oh shit. My bad. I didn't see that part. Those cops were the idiots.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know if I screwed up or somebody else did. My county courthouse sent a questionnaire, I filled it out and sent it back. If they didn't receive it then there would be more attempts to get me to turn one in, they must have received it so that wasn't it.

If I got picked I should have received a notification saying what panel I'm on and check weekly if my panel is supposed to appear. Many months go by and I didn't get anything, and on my way to work one day and get a call from the county clerk's office... "I'm calling to tell you that the trial scheduled for today has been cancelled" and thanked me for service as a juror since my term was up. So I'm all freaking out and explained I didn't receive anything and I guess they were understanding and something about marking as not received, and I brought up warrants in passing and not to worry about that..... guess we'll see when my CPL is up for renewal.

ETA: I was maybe looking forward to it, my employer makes up the difference in pay so losing out on pay isn't an issue. And my county isn't as populated (44,000) so maybe by luck that was the only case assigned to whatever panel I was supposed to be in.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]

I went to jury duty just a few months ago, I live in a big metro area . The jury "room" held ~400 chairs, it was fairly nice though, very efficient setup they had going I'll have to admit.

The jury lady was informative and entertaining, she stood in the front and spoke fairly often and there were big screen TVs all over the jury "room" of her speaking.

I was amused by something she said, so I remembered it. I'll paraphrase:

If you accidentally miss jury duty you'll most likely be thrown back into the list, (don't sweat it) - UNLESS the judge can't seat a full jury because of you, but unlikely.

Here's the funny part. If you show up and check into jury duty and then leave without being dismissed, you are 100% going to get a warrant and spend at least 1 night in jail.

I laughed because she kept telling the last part as she kept calling the same guy's name who had checked in

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got to sit on a DUI case that the police fucked up.  The guy had a great lawyer too and the Prosecution dropped its case about half way through.

Then there was a speeding case where a guy choose to represent himself and his teenage girlfriend was his star witness.  He built his case around the fact the officer said he was retarded for doing 60 in a school zone on the first day of school.   He didn't win.

View Quote

You went to jury trial on a speeding ticket? What jurisdiction can afford to do this?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I've gone every time, willing to do it, never even questioned.  Dismissed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
60 12 hour days with no days off?
View Quote

Must be in the gun industry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#16]
your dog is already dead
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had a friend who worked in the office  that handled jury duty notices. She said they didn't do anything to people who skipped.

I've been twice, picked both times. I'm going to make it a goal to see how high I can keep my picked percentage.
View Quote

God bless you sir.

All Arfcommers should follow your lead.

Usually it's "only idiots show up for jury duty". Then they scratch their heads and bitch when a gun owner is sentenced to 5 years for making flash hiders that look like they could be made into suppressors.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Guy at work throws them away all the time,he hasnt been arrested yet

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I showed up to jury duty once (the only time I've been called so far). It was for child custody.  I told the judge I had things to do and got out of it.
View Quote

Father was a gun owner and totally stand up 2A guy.  Of course, he got screwed because potential jurors "had things to do" and got out of service, leaving behind a bunch of shitbag jurors that screwed the father not only out of his rights with his kids, but also got screwed out of his 2A rights too.

Nothing pisses me off more than GD threads about "getting out of jury duty".......

Citizenship requires more than just fucking voting, assholes!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Fake your death. It's the only way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Currently doing jury duty all this week

They think it will done this week.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Tell them you want to be briefed on jury nullification. They'll send you home.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been called up 4 times,the first three were child sexual abuse cases.
Worst experience of my life.
The forth time I was in the hospital and could go.When I contacted them they told me to bring my dismissal papers and they would reschedule.
When I took the papers in and they saw the reason for me being hospitalized,BOOM medically dismissed.
Haven't gotten one since.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#25]
i got a letter for jury duty almost 20 years ago at the same time my mom had passed. i called and told them what i was going through and i havent had a summons since. on another note my partner at work has had 3 during this time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Happened to me.

They were understanding and appreciated that I called in.  They put me back in the next rotation.

No issues.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Once in KS and once in MO.

In KS, I was sitting with buddy outside of the courtroom with him and his parents before his chance in court for fighting. (We were young and stupid) the clerk calls my name and I jump up like a happy 18 yr old. she asked if I was a defendant.. no, just talking to my friend... You're dismissed...

The time in MO was a waste of everyone's time. I got a whole $12 out of showing up and losing about $200 of work.

I'll do it again, if asked. It's my job. But, I'll never gripe that someone else decided not to. It's all in how you look at it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Father was a gun owner and totally stand up 2A guy.  Of course, he got screwed because potential jurors "had things to do" and got out of service, leaving behind a bunch of shitbag jurors that screwed the father not only out of his rights with his kids, but also got screwed out of his 2A rights too.

Nothing pisses me off more than GD threads about "getting out of jury duty".......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As right as you may be, you opinion is not valid due to a poor taste in pistol caliber cartridges.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As right as you may be, you opinion is not valid due to a poor taste in pistol caliber cartridges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thems fightin' woids!!!  I just added ANOTHER of God's Perfect Caliber to the collection this past week.....

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Teacher. I am coaching a robotics team of 26 kids after school for competitions starting in a few weeks. I am simultaneously helping build a maker-space in the school. I also bought a puppy a couple months ago and I am getting no sleep. I am completely fried
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:14:31 AM EDT
[#31]
You'll be ok. Just call them.

Which court by the way?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I would love to serve on a jury, never have.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:32:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Got called once about 11 years ago in NC.  Showed up for two days and did a lot of sitting around, also standing around in the courthouse since they needed us out of the courtroom at times (before a jury was picked, too many people for the jury room).  

Been in TX six years, got a letter a few months ago.  I deferred it until November as I sure as shit didn't want to deal with downtown Dallas traffic in the heat.  Why couldn't I get lucky and get city court?  That's three miles from my house
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:33:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Aside from the aforementioned childkiller I served on one where a guy beat his GF unconscious. He was tried via CCTV. I was an alternate and cut loose before deliberations
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was sent a summons last month and i stuck it on the fridge as a reminder. I am happy to serve and do my civic duty and I let my employer know what was up.

Today I got home from my 60th consecutive 12 hour day of work and considered just how exhausted I am I decided to have a beer.
As I opened the fridge I noted the summons. The 2nd day that I was to report was FUCKING TODAY!

"...and by the way, can you explain 'jury nullification' to me?"
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:49:30 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Last one I did some 19 year old black guy beat his GF's 2 year old to death by kicking her repeatedly in the stomach until she went through the plaster behind her.

It wasn't fun at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I enjoyed Jury duty, and got to sit through two trials.  Lots of fun.

Last one I did some 19 year old black guy beat his GF's 2 year old to death by kicking her repeatedly in the stomach until she went through the plaster behind her.

It wasn't fun at all.
See me get on some trial like that and I may not be able to resist becoming the executioner also.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:54:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Teacher. I am coaching a robotics team of 26 kids after school for competitions starting in a few weeks. I am simultaneously helping build a maker-space in the school. I also bought a puppy a couple months ago and I am getting no sleep. I am completely fried
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FTC?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a letter from my Dr stating there is no fucking way I can sit for extended periods of time during a trial.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:00:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think there is some flag on me that prevents me from ever getting called for jury duty.
View Quote

Same for me.  Never once been called.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I only got called once in my life, right after I moved to a new town. I was working on the road then and wrote asking to be excused because I would not be in the state at the time. 9 years later and I have never been asked again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#41]
I sometimes wonder if you have to check your mail (legally)? What's to say if I don't want to check it?  Nothing comes to me but coupons or my rifleman magazine. I do everything else online.

I check bi-monthly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, jail may be in your future.

Good luck.
View Quote

Here... I believe a judge only issues a bench warrant if you miss twice.  There's usually an article in the paper when they go round up the jury duty scofflaws.

I missed once when I was barely out of HS... I called and they told me I'd be rescheduled... I was and showed up for that one, no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I think that you might be getting a little bit Ned Flanders/Hank Hill about the whole thing. I never go and never have gone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it certified mail?

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude...you can actually go to jail for this.  You need to come up with a decent lie or something.  lol

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I guess I'm lucky in that my employer will pay me my full rated pay for two weeks/year should I be called for jury duty, or be subpoenaed as a witness for the prosecution (taken right out of our HR manual).
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Not sleeping well tonight so going to post some more

Serving on jury duty currently for the week and have been called before and got selected for trial. Was a short trial

This week they spent most of the first day selecting jurors. So many questions and was really surprised was selected because seemed like some tell them what they want to hear and I told what I thought.

So far have rode the elevator once a day with the defendant, who of course is with a escort. He is in a suit and there is small talk always, in a weird way it feels as he is a cowork but not. However it also very tense.

The first day I caught it at the last moment and squeezed in with him facing my side only a few inches away. He says I'm sad and I reply yea, he says we thought it best if I shaved my beard but seeing that some of you have beards I should have kept it.

Enough rambling time to try and sleep
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Was it certified mail?
View Quote

Yup never received summons in the mail.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I ignored one for months. Eventually it went away. I don't worry about the little things.
View Quote

I threw them away for years when I lived in NY.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had jury duty yesterday for an agg assault. I was not selected out of the pool but I still did my part and showed up.
The prosecutors were terrible though, they pretty much explained the case and that they only hAd one witness (the victim) to everyone. They were really fishing and hammering on everyone on whether they could convict a guy (5-99years) based off one witness. They were getting frustrated when very few people said they would. You could see the defendant and his attorney smiling...

When I got home I looked up the info on the case. I hope the guy is not found guilty.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top