Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/27/2016 10:24:19 PM EDT
I was sent a summons last month and i stuck it on the fridge as a reminder. I am happy to serve and do my civic duty and I let my employer know what was up.

Today I got home from my 60th consecutive 12 hour day of work and considered just how exhausted I am I decided to have a beer.
As I opened the fridge I noted the summons. The 2nd day that I was to report was FUCKING TODAY!

I missed it completely. The end of a rough day just got exponentially worse.
I plan to call tomorrow at 9AM and ask how to fix the issue so I can serve.

So, anyone ever fuck up like this? What happened to you or "your friend"?
I plan to take a toothbrush, comfy shoes and cash and go down see the Man.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, jail may be in your future.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Was it certified mail?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I missed it by a week called the clerk told my story the next am and was told they would summon me again and not to worry, clerk said it happens
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
On the plus side, it sounds like you're going to get some time off work.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
i wouldnt worry, they have bigger fish to fry.  my mom has missed a bunch because she is simple sometimes and nothing bad has ever happened
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
was it sent by E-mail?  people still receive federal post mail???? i thought they closed that shit down when they figured out it wasn't making any money
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Dibs
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I enjoyed Jury duty, and got to sit through two trials.  Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Just call them and tell them you screwed up.  They'll just reschedule your service.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell them you are incredibly forgetful, which is clearly supported by your failure to report, and that you most likely will fail to recall
any details of any case you might be put on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was it certified mail?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I did that once - remembered about 4:45 PM and called. They just rescheduled me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Tell them it was on your private server and you must have deleted it.  They should understand and you shouldn't get in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

It depends on the trial. I was on a 2 week case that ended up being a hung jury. Miserable experience.

I got called this summer, and got selected for a jury pool for a trial that was scheduled to last for 4 months. I am happy to inconvenience myself for a few days but not rearrange my life for a third of the year.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last one I did some 19 year old black guy beat his GF's 2 year old to death by kicking her repeatedly in the stomach until she went through the plaster behind her.

It wasn't fun at all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was disappointed the trial only lasted a day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Call them up, explain what happened, and ask them how to reschedule, or how they would like to proceed.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was sent a summons last month and i stuck it on the fridge as a reminder. I am happy to serve and do my civic duty and I let my employer know what was up.

Today I got home from my 60th consecutive 12 hour day of work and considered just how exhausted I am I decided to have a beer.
As I opened the fridge I noted the summons. The 2nd day that I was to report was FUCKING TODAY!

Call them up, explain what happened, and ask them how to reschedule, or how they would like to proceed.  

Ex-wife #2 did this the first time she forgot and they just sent her a new one.

The second time it was a $500 fine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#20]
usually they're pretty cool about it, assuming they had enough people show up to make a good jury pool.

My last jury duty was for a child abuse/ sexual assault case.  One of the questions in voire dire was "if found guilty, could you give probation".  Fuck no; not a possibility.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I got to sit on a DUI case that the police fucked up.  The guy had a great lawyer too and the Prosecution dropped its case about half way through.

Then there was a speeding case where a guy choose to represent himself and his teenage girlfriend was his star witness.  He built his case around the fact the officer said he was retarded for doing 60 in a school zone on the first day of school.   He didn't win.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#23]
In our county they are sent by regular mail.  Ignore it.  Talked to the high Sheriff one time about it.  He said honest people are the only ones who show up for jury duty.  He has no idea if someone actually gets the summons so he sends no one out to pick anyone up who doesn't show up.  They just get put back in the rotation.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#24]
60 12 hour days with no days off?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Call the court clerk tomorrow and ask to reschedule.

It's simple as that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
On the plus side, it sounds like you're going to get some time off work.  
View Quote

Not really but his wages will be much, much less.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I skipped mine due to extra work, and was hoping that my duty was going to be dismissed like it usually was. It wasn't.

Got a nasty postcard in the mail to call a number and reschedule. I did, and attended the rescheduled duty. Didn't get picked.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In our county they are sent by regular mail.  Ignore it.  Talked to the high Sheriff one time about it.  He said honest people are the only ones who show up for jury duty.  He has no idea if someone actually gets the summons so he sends no one out to pick anyone up who doesn't show up.  They just get put back in the rotation.

YMMV.
View Quote

I get other people's mail _all_ the time, and I assume people get my mail all the time.  If I was to get mailed a jury duty notice but it be misdelivered, it'd be crap to get a fine or warrant.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Be sure to ask about jury nullification.

You night not ever get another letter.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#30]
That's going to go on your PERMANENT record.

Say you never got the summons.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell them you firmly believe it is your Constitutional right to exercise Jury Nullification when dealing with Unconstitutional laws.

Beat like a red headed stepdog in 37 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I ignored one for months. Eventually it went away. I don't worry about the little things.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

My parents got a letter from the SoCal Superior Court, fining me $1500+, despite me not living there for over a dozen years.

I ended up calling the judge's clerk and explaining things and she stated that they get the names off of the voters' rolls and from the DMV, but they don't get around to purging stale names all that often.  She asked if I could send a copy of a utilities bill and I did.  That was that, but it was a hefty fine!

Just call them and explain.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Burn everything and escape and evade to Cuba.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I think there is some flag on me that prevents me from ever getting called for jury duty.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Too bad - now a prohibited person...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Worked around courts all my career. Unless it is certified mail there is not much they can do. Interesting side story...I was subpoenaed  on an agg. assault case along with a couple other cops. They were no shows. The judge called me to the bench and gave me two newly written capias' and told me to go arrest my buds just the way they were. Brought one in in sweats and a wife beater and the other in cutoff shorts and T-shirt. Booked them in, told the judge. He said come back before shift change and bring them up. They spent 6 hours in jail, got fined, and suspended.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a friend who worked in the office  that handled jury duty notices. She said they didn't do anything to people who skipped.

I've been twice, picked both times. I'm going to make it a goal to see how high I can keep my picked percentage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Total bullshit. I know someone who works at the court. They literally do not care. Its exactly why there are a hundred assholes sent the same letter.

Its not sent certified mail. There are zero checks that it was delivered.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#41]
If you didnt get it by registered mail, then perhaps you really didnt get any jury summons in your mailbox.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never even got my name pulled out of the lottery.
Sat there all day in a room full of 200 prospective jurors and the clerk literally threw everybody's name into a hat and had a sheriff pull them out and read off names.
No TV, no phones, just sit in a chair and wait.

It was a bit of a letdown.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#43]
If you don't send back the questionnaire here, you'll get a visit by a Deputy with papers regarding a court date for you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
I know someone who had a warrant for their arrest for failing to show up for a jury duty. They learned about such warrant when they got arrested. LOL True story.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I've served on 3 jurys {2 petits and 1 Grand).  Chances are good if you only got a summons you wouldn't serve anyway. Typically (at least in my county) 50-60 or so will be summonsed but only 7-8 will be selected for pettit or 12-14 for Grand, so just missing your call up date probably won't be a big deal but you will definitely be called back. Judge will want to know why you couldn't come.

You know though, you could always plead the fifth.  It seems to work for Hillary's crew.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing is going to happen..............relax. Especially if your in a large city.........relax.  Contact them if it will make you feel better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Bullshit. I missed sitting in  the jury pool for a full week and had no warrant. When I called to see if I could come in, they said don't worry about it. If they need me, they'll send another notice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I hate jury duty. When you work on a boat it's not like you can just take the day or week off and head down to the courthouse. You never know where you will be.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#49]
What letter? A few weeks ago my box was accidently left open, and most my of mail ended up scattered down the road, I also lost a few other important bills that day as well as my TV guide, trust me I'm very upset as well.. Next time, considering the importance of my civic duties, as well as the penalties for ignoring a summons are so high could you please send it to me certified mail?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Worked around courts all my career. Unless it is certified mail there is not much they can do. Interesting side story...I was subpoenaed  on an agg. assault case along with a couple other cops. They were no shows. The judge called me to the bench and gave me two newly written capias' and told me to go arrest my buds just the way they were. Brought one in in sweats and a wife beater and the other in cutoff shorts and T-shirt. Booked them in, told the judge. He said come back before shift change and bring them up. They spent 6 hours in jail, got fined, and suspended.
View Quote

I can't read....

The cops were dumbasses.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top