Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#1]
And the truth is that the pictured Danville police cars were parked for a long period of time while investigating a car that had been shot up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How many officers conduct traffic stops with hoods up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Despite the fact that the raising of hoods was not a dastardly conspiracy to rape and murder with impunity...

If the hoods obscure the use of the dashcam then raising the hoods is not an acceptable option, imo. The cameras are there, ostensibly, for both citizen and officer, they are meant to film the interaction, tax money was spent to create that program and it makes no sense to waste that money and that function.

Most dash cameras are mounted in the upper part of the windshield. So unless they have the hoods all the way up (which I doubt) they are not blocking dash cams.

Also I bet most in a situation where they are idling the vehicles for long periods of time the dash cams are not on.

I saw this post going around on Facebook, so I saw the pictures attached to it, the hoods are fully raised in the pictures in the post, I dunno if those are exceptions or what.

Shouldn't the dash cam be on at all times when there is an interaction with a citizen?

I've never seen it in my life, but a poster earlier in this very thread said the state police have been doing it since before I was born in my state, for speed traps.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If they are idling for such a long time that they need their hoods up, chances are they aren't doing anything where they'd need a camera.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Police cruisers typically have upgraded cooling systems for the engine, oil, and transmission so tge car can be used in high speed chases and long idle times.

I dont buy their bullshit excuse for a second.  They will find another way to cover the dash cameras.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird, we where never told to raise the hoods on our ambulances, despite the fact that sat idling in 120 degree heat for 8-10 hours some days, never saw a patrol car with its hood up either. VA not spring for the hot weather package on their rigs?

Police cruisers typically have upgraded cooling systems for the engine, oil, and transmission so tge car can be used in high speed chases and long idle times.

I dont buy their bullshit excuse for a second.  They will find another way to cover the dash cameras.

been a cop for 25 years.  Every summer we have problems with vehicles over heating.

If we do t keep the cars a/c running the computer  systems overheat
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've never seen it in my life, but a poster earlier in this very thread said the state police have been doing it since before I was born in my state, for speed traps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Despite the fact that the raising of hoods was not a dastardly conspiracy to rape and murder with impunity...

If the hoods obscure the use of the dashcam then raising the hoods is not an acceptable option, imo. The cameras are there, ostensibly, for both citizen and officer, they are meant to film the interaction, tax money was spent to create that program and it makes no sense to waste that money and that function.

Most dash cameras are mounted in the upper part of the windshield. So unless they have the hoods all the way up (which I doubt) they are not blocking dash cams.

Also I bet most in a situation where they are idling the vehicles for long periods of time the dash cams are not on.

I saw this post going around on Facebook, so I saw the pictures attached to it, the hoods are fully raised in the pictures in the post, I dunno if those are exceptions or what.

Shouldn't the dash cam be on at all times when there is an interaction with a citizen?

wow.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They put the hoods up when idling to keep the engine cool?  WTF kind of retarded nonsense is that?
View Quote

Let's see you have to drive a 10 year-old Crown Vic with 180,000 miles on it for 12 hours on a 100° day...then come back and tell us what retarded nonsense it is...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Its been a pretty standard practice here in AZ for my entire lifetime and I'm no kid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its been a pretty standard practice here in AZ for my entire lifetime and I'm no kid.

Seen it here in E TX also, seen several ranchers do it that wanted to leave truck running.

We opened and supported the hood when we were in the hayfield back in my high school days.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Weird, we where never told to raise the hoods on our ambulances, despite the fact that sat idling in 120 degree heat for 8-10 hours some days, never saw a patrol car with its hood up either. VA not spring for the hot weather package on their rigs?
View Quote
We have always done this in the summer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#9]
This thread is

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought the police interceptors had upgraded cooling systems to handle the additional stress.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Apparently its not the engine, it's the electronics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, we've been doing this long before dash cams.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Let's see you have to drive a 10 year-old Crown Vic with 180,000 miles on it for 12 hours on a 100° day...then come back and tell us what retarded nonsense it is...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They put the hoods up when idling to keep the engine cool?  WTF kind of retarded nonsense is that?

Stop using real life examples it's not fair.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
#HoodsupforHarambe

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  Unless you want to watch an hour of interviewing auto collusion witnesses and taking measurements.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen it, never heard of it, and everyone is posting like it's just the most regular thing ever.  If I saw a police cruiser on the side of the road with the hood up, I'd stop to see if he needed help.

ETA: Maybe the LEA's in Hell's Furnance could save time and money, and order their cruisers without hoods.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#16]
All of those that think this is a conspiracy, are "real retarded sir" people.

Some of you must have never had to use a vehicle at low idle or crawl speeds for periods of time.

Like I said earlier, teenagers in the 70's and 80's knew to do this in the hayfield while hauling hay, guess common sense is not a gift.

Edit:

Also, I completely understand the electronics deal.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I thought the police interceptors had upgraded cooling systems to handle the additional stress.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

LOL, yeah thats a good one. Our cars are shit and then go thru a whole lotta shit which makes them even shittier. Never once saw a squad with a hood up unless someone was working on one. Total BS.

Theres no need to block cameras cause were not stopping anyone anyways.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I really thought most folks had seen or known of this practice. That is why I made the comment about stupid people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is  

I really thought most folks had seen or known of this practice. That is why I made the comment about stupid people.

I honestly thought that the stupid people comment was directed at the two groups of people mentioned in your OP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If they are idling for such a long time that they need their hoods up, chances are they aren't doing anything where they'd need a camera.
View Quote

Get out of here with your logic, man!  Ain't nobody got time fo dat!  Some of these guys are too busy showing their ignorance and making assumptions to hear your crazy logic.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread is  

It still stands.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Most of the same excuses that our officers gave our city council after many citizens complaints.

Cars are left running while they were at the donut shop or the local café. Mayor said turn them off. They turn them off now.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep.  Unless you want to watch an hour of interviewing auto collusion witnesses and taking measurements.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if I were an officer I would want every interaction, even the mundane ones on film.

If you're a cop I'm sure I really don't have to tell you how the mundane can become insane in the blink of an eye.

And then what good does that dash cam do us?

"But we've been doing it this way for years" is the worst excuse in the world. I don't care if you want to put your hood up, I don't believe cops are doing it with the intention of obscuring their cameras. But I don't believe the cameras should be obscured.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I've seen police, and other people, do that for years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Used to be a lot more common with fire trucks in this area than patrol cars but have seen it on a rare hot day. Used to be a common practice on hot days with the older 1960's-70's pumpers to raise hood (or cab with COE) and set up a smoke ejector to help cool the engine. It was a bigger problem with the older gas engines, but can still be a concern with newer stuff
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#28]
We do it here as well.  May not start out with your hood up, but when it becomes obvious that you will be idling for a while, open the hood.  Sometimes it's the sound of your fan constantly kicking in that's a reminder.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We do it all the time here.

We just pop the hood to let the heat out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do it all the time here.

We just pop the hood to let the heat out.

Twenty years in Florida and I've never seen it. First I've heard of it ever.

The only place I have ever seen it done by anyone is at drag strips or auto cross.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
DANVILLE, VA (WSET/CNN) - Shakeva Frazier said she didn’t think twice when she saw police with their car hoods up. It wasn’t until she saw a post on Facebook that led her to believe that police were blocking their dash cams.

“That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. “Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

Danville Police Lt. Mike Wallace said officers were told to raise their hoods when their cars are idling for long periods. They started doing it during a heat wave in late August.

“The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. “Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

“So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33255863/police-dept-dispels-rumors-about-raised-patrol-car-hoods-in-va

People are stupid.
View Quote

Gotta be Dodge Chargers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#31]

The hoods were up to release heat from the engine compartment. They do the same in the next county.

It was also reported yesterday that Danville would no longer continue this practice.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Our cops are required for traffic control whenever there is any type of road construction here.  They always have the cars idling with the red & yellow lights on.  The hoods are always raised on hot days to keep the engines cooler.  It's standard practice here and has been for a long time.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, they don't. Trans cooler. Oil cooler and suspension. That's it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The general practice is to just pop the first latch. The hood raises about 3 inches and still retained by the second latch.

It allows the hot air to escape and if you need to scoot just a quick tap on the hood and it is secure again.

Back in the days of going to Talladega you would see 10+ State Trooper cars all parked with the hoods popped.

Directing traffic for hours in the August heat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen it, never heard of it, and everyone is posting like it's just the most regular thing ever.  If I saw a police cruiser on the side of the road with the hood up, I'd stop to see if he needed help.

The general practice is to just pop the first latch. The hood raises about 3 inches and still retained by the second latch.

It allows the hot air to escape and if you need to scoot just a quick tap on the hood and it is secure again.

Back in the days of going to Talladega you would see 10+ State Trooper cars all parked with the hoods popped.

Directing traffic for hours in the August heat.

Sure.  I mean it makes sense, it's just that I've never seen nor heard of it, ever.  Of course, I live where it only hits the 90's for a couple of weeks in midsummer, and I assume that that the equipment used by most departments is designed for the environments and uses made of them.

In all seriousness, why not louver the hoods or install an exhaust fan on the engine compartment?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Well, if I were an officer I would want every interaction, even the mundane ones on film.

If you're a cop I'm sure I really don't have to tell you how the mundane can become insane in the blink of an eye.

"But we've been doing it this way for years" is the worst excuse in the world. I don't care if you want to put your hood up, I don't believe cops are doing it with the intention of obscuring their cameras. But I don't believe the cameras should be obscured.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would I care if I'm not going to be in front of the car?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I heard there is a quota system for shooting minorities.  Any truth to that?  Regardless, I'm going to post about it as fact on Twitter.
View Quote

Totally true.  That's why we need unlimited immigration so there are enough minorities to shoot.

Kinda like Ducks Unlimited.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While it is correct,   one would think by now they would take this into consideration and upgrade the vehicle accordingly..   I mean idling for several hours at a time isn't exactly a new thing.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Why not ask manufacturers to change the hoods?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it's about you, I think it's about meeting the demands (reasonable) of the public you serve.

If I have to spend money on technology, I expect you to use it. I really don't think that is unreasonable. Again, I don't see any, and have never suggested any, malicious intent on behalf of the police in this scenario.

The thread has made it clear that this is a common practice in use for a long time. Seems to me like a simple update is needed to the SOPs. "Don't block your cameras" is in no way an unreasonable request.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#41]
I've been driving for 20 years, I have never once seen a cop car with it's hood up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't want to interrupt a good cop bash, but the times when the cars are idling with the hood up, the dash cam isn't active anyway.  As a general rule, the camera is only active when the emergency equipment is turned on.  But let's get back to screaming about wasting the taxpayer's money... and cargo pockets!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for proving once again that you cannot lead a horse to common sense.    "Police Cruisers" in a small town are whatever they can get for cheap from the local dealership. The only difference is the paint scheme and MAYBE an upgraded alternator.

Have any of you waterheads figured out yet that they would have to put the hood DOWN  in order to make a traffic stop in the first place?
View Quote

Our city buys them from a state contract.  Perhaps if you considered that you don't know what you are talking about when viewed across the country you wouldn't come across so foolish.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

lol did you hear that from the same voices that tell you a CIA helicopter is following you?

They aren't raising their hoods during traffic stops or volatile calls, they're doing it while simply sitting still - eating lunch, writing reports, directing traffic, etc.

If they didn't want their cameras to record, they could just, shoot, I don't know...NOT TURN THEM ON?

Gah people are stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol did you hear that from the same voices that tell you a CIA helicopter is following you?

They aren't raising their hoods during traffic stops or volatile calls, they're doing it while simply sitting still - eating lunch, writing reports, directing traffic, etc.

If they didn't want their cameras to record, they could just, shoot, I don't know...NOT TURN THEM ON?

Gah people are stupid.

Wait, what?!?!? You mean to tell me the cops aren't driving around with their hoods up?!?!? I mean, I know that would block your view driving and all but.....

Some people who post here are just as idiotic as the BLM types and the ones who saw this on FB, fell for it, and shared it.

That said, I didn't see it often but I have seen the hood popped a number of times. Seems to be cars that are idling in hot weather, for extended periods of time (blocking a road for a crash/road work etc or a traffic control post at say a large event etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Because the camera systems along with the computers and radio will kill the battery in a matter of minutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not just turn them off?????

Because the camera systems along with the computers and radio will kill the battery in a matter of minutes.

A matter of minutes?  

How many amps do you think a laptop, a radio, and some LEDs pull?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Because Roadkill!
View Quote

No, they just raised the hoods, not removed them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Don't you think, now that dashcams exist, the practice should end? Why was all our money spent to film the top of a car's hood? How will the video exonerate the officer or the citizen if it can't film anything other than the body of the car?

If departments need to lift their hoods, they need to mount the cameras in a different location. Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus, where have you been all your life if you've never seen a police car idling with the hood raised in the summertime? Cops have been doing this since way before I started driving, and that was in the 70s.

Don't you think, now that dashcams exist, the practice should end? Why was all our money spent to film the top of a car's hood? How will the video exonerate the officer or the citizen if it can't film anything other than the body of the car?

If departments need to lift their hoods, they need to mount the cameras in a different location. Period.

I'm not a cop but I'm going to take a guess that they aren't driving around with the hood up, going to calls with the hood up, making trafficking stops with the hood up etc etc.

According to some of you, these cops are pulling cars over, then jumping out and popping the hood.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In all seriousness, why not louver the hoods or install an exhaust fan on the engine compartment?
View Quote

Because that costs money.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top