Quoted:
People are stupid.
View Quote

Job security.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Hoods wearing hoods be worried when hood cops be raisin their hoods in the hood.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It wasn’t until she saw a post on Facebook...

...People are stupid.
View Quote

Coincidence?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Weird, we where never told to raise the hoods on our ambulances, despite the fact that sat idling in 120 degree heat for 8-10 hours some days, never saw a patrol car with its hood up either. VA not spring for the hot weather package on their rigs?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DANVILLE, VA (WSET/CNN) - Shakeva Frazier said she didn’t think twice when she saw police with their car hoods up. It wasn’t until she saw a post on Facebook that led her to believe that police were blocking their dash cams.

"That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. "Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

Danville Police Lt. Mike Wallace said officers were told to raise their hoods when their cars are idling for long periods. They started doing it during a heat wave in late August.

"The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. "Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

"So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33255863/police-dept-dispels-rumors-about-raised-patrol-car-hoods-in-va

People are stupid.

Its been a pretty standard practice here in AZ for my entire lifetime and I'm no kid.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard there is a quota system for shooting minorities.  Any truth to that?  Regardless, I'm going to post about it as fact on Twitter.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#9]
md state troopers have been doing this for years when running speed traps
way before dashcams
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Despite the fact that the raising of hoods was not a dastardly conspiracy to rape and murder with impunity...

If the hoods obscure the use of the dashcam then raising the hoods is not an acceptable option, imo. The cameras are there, ostensibly, for both citizen and officer, they are meant to film the interaction, tax money was spent to create that program and it makes no sense to waste that money and that function.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hoods wearing hoods be worried when hood cops be raisin their hoods in the hood.
View Quote

Word!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not just turn them off?????
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#13]
We were doing that in the 70's long before dash cams.

Make that lardass stand in 95° heat with 90% humidity for 8hours and see if she doesnt overheat.

Moron
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Because Roadkill!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#15]
We don't do it, but then it only get to 100* maybe 10 days a year.......and is under 60* for maybe 120 days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because then the AC doesn't work
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Weird, we where never told to raise the hoods on our ambulances, despite the fact that sat idling in 120 degree heat for 8-10 hours some days, never saw a patrol car with its hood up either. VA not spring for the hot weather package on their rigs?
View Quote

Having lived in Las Vegas, where temps were about that, I have never seen a cop car with their hood up idling on the side of the road. I am going to call bullshit on this one...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

To keep the AC going. I've seen K9 cars with the hood up to run the AC for the dogs. And the cops wear vests and a bunch of gear, I'd want the car cool, too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I heard there is a quota system for shooting minorities.  Any truth to that?  Regardless, I'm going to post about it as fact on Twitter.
View Quote

I think that's true. Ever since the speeding ticket quotas were banned the police have been forced to come up with unique ways of generating revenue. The money generated with the court proceedings following the shooting of people in certain minority groups has become a cash cow for small departments. Actions have consequences ya know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Police cruisers typically have upgraded cooling systems for the engine, oil, and transmission so tge car can be used in high speed chases and long idle times.

I dont buy their bullshit excuse for a second.  They will find another way to cover the dash cameras.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DANVILLE, VA (WSET/CNN) - Shakeva Frazier said she didn’t think twice when she saw police with their car hoods up. It wasn’t until she saw a post on Facebook that led her to believe that police were blocking their dash cams.

"That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. "Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

Danville Police Lt. Mike Wallace said officers were told to raise their hoods when their cars are idling for long periods. They started doing it during a heat wave in late August.

"The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. "Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

"So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33255863/police-dept-dispels-rumors-about-raised-patrol-car-hoods-in-va

People are stupid.

It's true.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#23]
We used to have to do that all the time with our crown vics. The heat would overwhelm the electronics that controlled the warning lights causing them to shut off. The electronics were in the engine compartment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Danville was where my first real job was. It's a town whose economy was built on textiles and tobacco. Two business modalities that aren't very vuabke today. They still do tobacco but the textiles have all but shut down. There is a pretty high unemployment rate.

It does get hot there. It's on the southern border of Virginia. They don't have tons of money and they don't have take home cars. They run 24/7.

The other interesting thing about that town is there isn't a ghetto area or ghetto part of town. It's ghetto spread everywhere. There are pockets of nice areas completely surrounded by ghetto. And the ignorance level in those ghetto areas is astounding. I got to witness it all first-hand when I rode rescue there. Total cradle-to-grace dependency in a lot of that population so I'm sure they buy the "cops are out to get us" ideology. Hook, line, and sinker.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#25]
#HoodsupforHarambe

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because the camera systems along with the computers and radio will kill the battery in a matter of minutes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are stupid.

It's real. I was at OU's first game this season at Norman. There must have been 200 police vehicles on campus and every last one of them had their hoods up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Police cruisers typically have upgraded cooling systems for the engine, oil, and transmission so tge car can be used in high speed chases and long idle times.

I dont buy their bullshit excuse for a second.  They will find another way to cover the dash cameras.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for proving once again that you cannot lead a horse to common sense.    "Police Cruisers" in a small town are whatever they can get for cheap from the local dealership. The only difference is the paint scheme and MAYBE an upgraded alternator.

Have any of you waterheads figured out yet that they would have to put the hood DOWN  in order to make a traffic stop in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There she is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There she is.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus, where have you been all your life if you've never seen a police car idling with the hood raised in the summertime? Cops have been doing this since way before I started driving, and that was in the 70s.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I've never seen it anywhere I have lived.

(IN, PA, CT, NJ.)
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We used to have to do that all the time with our crown vics. The heat would overwhelm the electronics that controlled the warning lights causing them to shut off. The electronics were in the engine compartment.
View Quote

Oh, yeah. That makes sense, still weird I have never seen it here though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Jesus, where have you been all your life if you've never seen a police car idling with the hood raised in the summertime? Cops have been doing this since way before I started driving, and that was in the 70s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give him a chance, he cannot skip study hall until after lunch.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol did you hear that from the same voices that tell you a CIA helicopter is following you?

They aren't raising their hoods during traffic stops or volatile calls, they're doing it while simply sitting still - eating lunch, writing reports, directing traffic, etc.

If they didn't want their cameras to record, they could just, shoot, I don't know...NOT TURN THEM ON?

Gah people are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've never seen it anywhere I have lived.

(IN, PA, CT, NJ.)
View Quote

Look at those states on the map.   Notice how far NORTH they are?  I'll bet the cars freeze more than they cook.

The earlier camera systems that used a recording disk shut off to protect themselves if the internal temp went over  110 degrees.  The computer was about the same.
I've had to hose down my car to cool it off enough to go on patrol.  Sitting in the sun alone killed the computer system.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you think, now that dashcams exist, the practice should end? Why was all our money spent to film the top of a car's hood? How will the video exonerate the officer or the citizen if it can't film anything other than the body of the car?

If departments need to lift their hoods, they need to mount the cameras in a different location. Period.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Most dash cameras are mounted in the upper part of the windshield. So unless they have the hoods all the way up (which I doubt) they are not blocking dash cams.

Also I bet most in a situation where they are idling the vehicles for long periods of time the dash cams are not on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Despite the fact that the raising of hoods was not a dastardly conspiracy to rape and murder with impunity...

If the hoods obscure the use of the dashcam then raising the hoods is not an acceptable option, imo. The cameras are there, ostensibly, for both citizen and officer, they are meant to film the interaction, tax money was spent to create that program and it makes no sense to waste that money and that function.

Most dash cameras are mounted in the upper part of the windshield. So unless they have the hoods all the way up (which I doubt) they are not blocking dash cams.

Also I bet most in a situation where they are idling the vehicles for long periods of time the dash cams are not on.

I saw this post going around on Facebook, so I saw the pictures attached to it, the hoods are fully raised in the pictures in the post, I dunno if those are exceptions or what.

Shouldn't the dash cam be on at all times when there is an interaction with a citizen?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Don't you think, now that dashcams exist, the practice should end? Why was all our money spent to film the top of a car's hood? How will the video exonerate the officer or the citizen if it can't film anything other than the body of the car?

If departments need to lift their hoods, they need to mount the cameras in a different location. Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The. cars. were. idling. parked. cameras. aren't. running.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not arguing that and don't give a fuck either way. The officers on this board are way more qualified than me to argue that. I'll leave it to them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#42]
They put the hoods up when idling to keep the engine cool?  WTF kind of retarded nonsense is that?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I saw this post going around on Facebook, so I saw the pictures attached to it, the hoods are fully raised in the pictures in the post, I dunno if those are exceptions or what.

Shouldn't the dash cam be on at all times when there is an interaction with a citizen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw the post too.  You know what I didn't see?  The cars/people that they supposedly had stopped.  The pictures were just of stopped police cars on the side of the road, by themselves, with the hoods up.  Zero context.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

“That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. “Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

“The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. “Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

“So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

People are stupid.
View Quote

police in tx have been doing this when working traffic control in the summer since i was in HS.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many officers conduct traffic stops with hoods up?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah because getting in and out of a car to raise a hood before you can move a patrol car to "Chase" someone is so much easier than a piece of tape.

My police Cruiser was a base model with no super engine and no super transmission and no super cooling system just extra wiring for lights and siren oh yean and it was a base model Chevy 1500 pick up. Our normal car were taxi package (for the wiring harnesses) Taurus's that maxed out at right at 100mph.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm not arguing that and don't give a fuck either way. The officers on this board are way more qualified than me to argue that. I'll leave it to them.
View Quote

Personally, I do care about what happens with my tax money, especially when they say it is for a program that is supposed to increase accountability over government employees/make the truth more ascertainable in confusing circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I thought the police interceptors had upgraded cooling systems to handle the additional stress.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I saw the post too.  You know what I didn't see?  The cars/people that they supposedly had stopped.  The pictures were just of stopped police cars on the side of the road, by themselves, with the hoods up.  Zero context.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wondered about that when I saw it. That's why I didn't give the claim (it's a CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!) much time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top