Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2016 10:54:39 PM EDT
i heard it would drop it a bit, but holy shit.. just finished up the 338 LM can for my dad. test fired it tonight. with clipped cones very little to no POI shift. recoils like a .243 now, its crazy on how much it calmed it down. Funny part is I paid for the materials (inconel,Ti and 17-4), the form 1 and listened to him bitch about it teh whole way. I dont need that, I dont want that. BLAH Blah blah..

After he shot it tonight, changed his mind completely. Oh thats staying on that gun.. no no dont take it off. Ill take it this week when we go over for deer..

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Normally how it goes.

My dad questioned the fuck out of why I wanted suppressors. "Guns are fun loud"    He, himself, owning a MG and a Short barrels shotgun.  

Man did he love shooting the shit out of my SiCo Sparrow. Even picked himself up a SiCo Omega 9k.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

i heard it would drop it a bit, but holy shit.. just finished up the 338 LM can for my dad. test fired it tonight. with clipped cones very little to no POI shift. recoils like a .243 now, its crazy on how much it calmed it down. Funny part is I paid for the materials (inconel,Ti and 17-4), the form 1 and listened to him bitch about it teh whole way. I dont need that, I dont want that. BLAH Blah blah..

After he shot it tonight, changed his mind completely. Oh thats staying on that gun.. no no dont take it off. Ill take it this week when we go over for deer..

View Quote
It truly is impressive. I shot a fellow Arfcommers .338 LM that was suppressed and it was incredibly tame.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It truly is impressive. I shot a fellow Arfcommers .338 LM that was suppressed and it was incredibly tame.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ya it was actually FUN to shoot.. it was nice, since this was the first time he shot it with out the lead sled. hes been worried about using it this year, thinking too much recoil. Built both the rifle and suppressor for the old man.. I just hope my kids do something like that for me when i get old..
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
2 ways.  Added mass from the suppressor and preventing the gasses from rushing out with the bullet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Salvo 12 and it takes a pump action 12 gauge shotgun from... Well... A shotgun and turns it into about a 20 gauge.

Putting it on the Versamax is a no brainier. I really want a shorter barrel for the Versamax, then it would be pimptacular.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Just makes shooting more expensive. So many more rounds so much less shoulder pain.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Where are the pics OP? WTF!?!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Try a 50

Recoil increases...a LOT

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Where are the pics OP? WTF!?!
View Quote

Yea, what he said.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
An appropriately designed brake would decrease it more.

But yes, cans are fun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Try a 50

Recoil increases...a LOT

Yep.
I would have not thought that.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But yes, cans are fun.
View Quote

I don't see a whole lot of well-designed brakes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never done a back to back with the same rifle, but I've never thought that a suppressed rifle was much more tame with a suppressor. Most rifles I've shot with suppressors have been heavy or .556 though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've never done a back to back with the same rifle, but I've never thought that a suppressed rifle was much more tame with a suppressor. Most rifles I've shot with suppressors have been heavy or .556 though.
View Quote

I notice little or no recoil reduction with a 5.56 (which doesn't really have any recoil to reduce anyway). I notice a huge reduction with a .308, maybe 50%.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try a 50

Recoil increases...a LOT

Yep.

The muzzlebrake on a 50 is very effective, throwing a can on removes that mitigation.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll let you know next year sometime.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But yes, cans are fun.

this!

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try a 50

Recoil increases...a LOT

Yep.

Never shot a 50, but every suppressor  I have seen on a 50 seems fairly small.  Would that be true with a much larger suppressor?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The muzzlebrake on a 50 is very effective, throwing a can on removes that mitigation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try a 50

Recoil increases...a LOT

Yep.

I didn't think of it that way.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]
sorry no pics, it was a time crunch project. had to have it ready to go tonight. and i started on it friday night. All manual  lathe. My hands are killing me..

I WILL get pics when he gets back, and after I paint it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But yes, cans are fun.

You mean the Ear-Raper 5000 I got on Amazon for $20 shipped isn't a good brake?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try a 50

Recoil increases...a LOT

Yep.

That makes sense.  Most brakes seem like there isn't much difference if any.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I am have a Howa 1500 in 300wm threaded  because of how well it tamed it
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Normally how it goes.

My dad questioned the fuck out of why I wanted suppressors. "Guns are fun loud"    He, himself, owning a MG and a Short barrels shotgun.  

Man did he love shooting the shit out of my SiCo Sparrow. Even picked himself up a SiCo Omega 9k.
View Quote

I just shipped my Sparrow back today.

Just put it on a 10/22 last week and was done after 16rnds.   Didn't seem to quiet the report at all and the point of impact changed about 18" low and 4"left at only 25yds and no amount of sight adjustment makes any improvement. Firing with the suppressor removed returns the point of impact to point of aim.
The threads on the suppressor and the barrel look true and the bullets are not striking the baffles or endcap.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
sorry no pics, it was a time crunch project. had to have it ready to go tonight. and i started on it friday night. All manual  lathe. My hands are killing me..

View Quote

Pics better be before and after paint OP. Don't turn this into a safe thread!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never shot a 50, but every suppressor  I have seen on a 50 seems fairly small.  Would that be true with a much larger suppressor?

Wat?

http://i.imgur.com/RVUqF3u.jpg

Damn. I knew it was big, but that thing is huge  

*that's what she said*
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try a 50

Recoil increases...a LOT

Yep.

I didn't even know there was a .50 can! Off to google.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just put it on a 10/22 last week and was done after 16rnds.   Didn't seem to quiet the report at all and the point of impact changed about 18" low and 4"left at only 25yds and no amount of sight adjustment makes any improvement. Firing with the suppressor removed returns the point of impact to point of aim.
The threads on the suppressor and the barrel look true and the bullets are not striking the baffles or endcap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Normally how it goes.

Not an engineer... But something's fucky.

I'd hope SiCo isn't at fault, but at the end of the day if they are, I hope they take care of it.

Mines been great.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Normally how it goes.

The holes in the baffles of my Tac 52 were too small like .20 caliber

And it caused all sorts of weirdness

Tactical Innovations took care of it quickly though
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

Right....but here's an unscientific answer I think might get the point across a few of us are wondering
The 50 Cal bullet is ~15 times heavier and is traveling quite a bit faster than a 9mm. The 50 Cal can would need to be QUITE a bit bigger to achieve the same gas/volume as the 9mm can.

632 J = 9mm for muzzle energy

15037 = 50 BMG for muzzle energy

The gas coming out would therefore have to have that much energy, right?

The 50 can doesn't have 30 times the volume of the 9 can.

*I'm not a scientist, and I don't do sciency things. Don't kill me RA
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will.. I MIGHT be able to get a shot of it tomorrow if its not packed up yet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

.338 LM and deer are an interesting combination.  Are the deer hardier up there or is dad taking 1300 yard shots?

The good news is if he's taking closer shots the deer will be easy to find.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

.338 LM and deer are an interesting combination.  Are the deer hardier up there or is dad taking 1300 yard shots?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

eastern oregon.. long range..
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mmhmm.....big hills out here. My dad's elk rifle is a 30-378, I'm trying to talk him into rebarreling it though. Can't keep it sub moa.

Also trying to talk him into a Sandman for it. But with 41f I'm hesitating to do any more forms.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wat?

Put a brake on the suppressor ...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Gas in the face as a southpaw is the largest drawback.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#39]
A lot of people don't realize it because they don't adjust the gas on their AR after installing a can.

My 11.5" SBR had worse recoil after installing a can. Installed an adjustable gas block and it has been great.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

TX_M1, have you shot the Barrett can?

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Try a 50

Recoil increases...a LOT

View Quote

I wouldn't say a lot but it does increase it a bit.

I will take that all day long over the blast. I won't shoot 50s w/o a can unless there is no brake (i.e. M2)
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Cans make me wet in the middle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

TX_M1, have you shot the Barrett can?

http://img04.deviantart.net/acc0/i/2012/263/d/0/barrett_m107a1_with_suppressor_by_knesekguns-d5fcku5.jpg

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Normally how it goes.

What brand barrel?
And "looks true" means nothing for barrel threads.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah Ive never noticed a reduction in recoil using a can either.

It makes it quieter which may seem like it reduces recoil. Then again Im only using cans on pistol and 5.56mm cartridges.

With the cyclic speed increase I almost think it increases recoil, but the weight of the can on the end of the gun kind of neutralizes that.

Im no scientist
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#46]

I'll be in my bunk
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe next spring I'll have my Alpha.  Waiting to see what it does on 300wsm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I will take that all day long over the blast. I won't shoot 50s w/o a can unless there is no brake (i.e. M2)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try a 50

Recoil increases...a LOT

Sinus clearing concussion is the best part of shooting a 50. Lots of fun with the tank brake on my CQ
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Normally how it goes.

You need to shoot subsonic ammo, and get a barrel with unfucked threads.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top