BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you've ever flown on a puddle jumper commuter flight, you probably already have.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this the end result of the huge number of job openings in airlines now that all the Vietnam era pillts are finally retiring?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If Ender Wiggin can destroy an entire alien species with a space fleet, Im sure these young pilots can fly a large lear jet.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The vast majority of new Aircraft Commanders on C-130s, C-17s, C-5s aren't any older than her.  The AF manages not to crash them very often.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If she can still fly well with my head buried between her thighs, then she's hired.  When is the interview?  I already have a black fake leather couch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My brother in law is an Embry grad and not much older then the captain in the article.
A lot of his former classmates are captains with regional airlines, trying to work their way into the bigger name airlines.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh I (and a lot of other people) was an airline captain at an earlier age than that.

My brother in law is an Embry grad and not much older then the captain in the article.
A lot of his former classmates are captains with regional airlines, trying to work their way into the bigger name airlines.

That sounds somewhat... familiar..

I used to fly planes as a 25 yr old captain with a 22yr old fo and 18yr old flight attendant.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone(s) trusted me as an 18 year old landing multimillion dollar aircraft, so why not!

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Flew in a regional jet from Cincinnati to Dayton for the Dayton airshow a number of years back. The crew left the cockpit door open for the entire flight, the crew were 3 very young looking women, who did a wonderful job. I'd have no problem doing it again.
I figure none of them want to die that day either.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep...right up until something goes wrong.

That's when you call upon your experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't the computers do the vast majority of... everything... anyways?

Yep...right up until something goes wrong.

That's when you call upon your experience.

SULLY!

ETA:  I got my license in 1976 and I wouldn't fly with me.  If she's competent, which I'm sure she is, I'm fine with it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
She is Hittable.
View Quote

Which one is female
Nut check....maybe it's a man....
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure, I was a captain at 25.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol, I'm ready to face the hate, but, with as much experience/hours he has, combined with being a lead/senior instructor in the Airbus, I expect him to be able to make that landing.  I don't think he's a hero at all, he's been flying for approaching half a century, he better be good after that much time.

But what do I know, I'm just a GA pilot with a few hundred hours...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, until you fly through a flock of geese 90 seconds after takeoff over NYC.

Lol, I'm ready to face the hate, but, with as much experience/hours he has, combined with being a lead/senior instructor in the Airbus, I expect him to be able to make that landing.  I don't think he's a hero at all, he's been flying for approaching half a century, he better be good after that much time.

But what do I know, I'm just a GA pilot with a few hundred hours...

I'm 32. If you knew I had as much flight time as that 19 year old, would you feel better, worse, or the same?

I'm not a pilot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#14]
probably have, what am I going to say, fuck that and get off
I got places to be.
Statistically, your life is more at risk hiring an Uber
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh as long as they have the experience I don't care if it's a chimpanzee
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was flying an OH58D when I was 19.

I'm sure the this guy will do just fine.
View Quote

In the years that I was in the Navy I really was not around the aviation community that much. But I always assumed that all pilots were all officers, so all of course being college grads.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but the Army (and I assume the Marines as well) have CWO's flying helos right? So how does the selection process go for someone like yourself that got into flight programs that young?

Do you go in enlisted, then submit a package to be commissioned to CWO?  

Edit: I don't recall ever seeing a Navy CWO who was a pilot, so I always assumed that in the Navy were Ensigns in flight school.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm more concerned about flying with a pilot at 5am who got an unknown number of hours of sleep the night before in a lousy hotel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#18]
If they don't allah snackbar, sure
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#19]

I was 27 when I made captain flying a large transport category multi crew turbine powered aircraft.

I'd ride in the back of that plane all day long.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd fall asleep. I fly part 135 as PIC in the middle of nowhere and I'm 24.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Meh.  Got my Chief Engineer license at 25.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In the years that I was in the Navy I really was not around the aviation community that much. But I always assumed that all pilots were all officers, so all of course being college grads.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but the Army (and I assume the Marines as well) have CWO's flying helos right? So how does the selection process go for someone like yourself that got into flight programs that young?

Edit: I don't recall ever seeing a Navy CWO who was a pilot, so I always assumed that in the Navy were Ensigns in flight school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most Army warrants were prior enlisted. When I signed into my unit as a WO1, my peers were a former Ranger, SF, and Air Force PJ. They all had trigger time on the GWOT.

I was selected with what at the time appeared to be a large group of street to seaters. Maybe a dozen of us in the same year group.

I was never prior enlisted, I didn't leave for basic training until I was selected for flight training. I was selected about 6 months out of high school and left for basic maybe 6 months later.

The actual application process was, I assume, about the same for OCS or any other officer producing program. Physicals, OCS interview, selection board.

I met a Navy warrant/pilot in 2001, he said he was the last one and was about to retire. P3 pilot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
The age of the pilots isn't really the question.  It's the experience.  At 23 I was an aircraft commander and instructor pilot in the AF with a total of 270 hours.  33 years later I don't keep track of my hours my employer does.  My copilots come from a variety of backgrounds but have one thing in common.  They are system operators not pilots.  They can program the computers and operate the autopilot but when all the magic stops working or we have to shut an engine down I am by myself because they don't have 30 plus years of experience and good habit patterns to fall back on.  They don't have "SA" Situation Awareness.  They can't see bad things start to develop around us and make changes early to avoid it.  As a young fighter pilot I was told by several Vietnam Vets, "A superior pilot uses superior judgement not superior skills."
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most Army warrants were prior enlisted. When I signed into my unit as a WO1, my peers were a former Ranger, SF, and Air Force PJ. They all had trigger time on the GWOT.

I was selected with what at the time appeared to be a large group of street to seaters. Maybe a dozen of us in the same year group.

I was never prior enlisted, I didn't leave for basic training until I was selected for flight training. I was selected about 6 months out of high school and left for basic maybe 6 months later.

The actual application process was, I assume, about the same for OCS or any other officer producing program. Physicals, OCS interview, selection board.

I met a Navy warrant/pilot in 2001, he said he was the last one and was about to retire. P3 pilot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, when they enlist, are they designated to be going into the Army Aviation community or do they take applicants from various MOS from all over the Army?

I also have to assume if a flight candiate does not pass physicals or screening that they would be sent back to what ever unit they came from?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Does she get equal pay for equal work?  That's all that matters.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you've ever flown on a puddle jumper commuter flight, you probably already have.
View Quote

wouldn't be the first airliner I flew on in which I had more flight time than both crew members combined.  I generally try to stay away from shit low budget airlines tho.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#27]
another empty kitchen
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The age of the pilots isn't really the question.  It's the experience.  At 23 I was an aircraft commander and instructor pilot in the AF with a total of 270 hours.  33 years later I don't keep track of my hours my employer does.  My copilots come from a variety of backgrounds but have one thing in common.  They are system operators not pilots.  They can program the computers and operate the autopilot but when all the magic stops working or we have to shut an engine down I am by myself because they don't have 30 plus years of experience and good habit patterns to fall back on.  They don't have "SA" Situation Awareness.  They can't see bad things start to develop around us and make changes early to avoid it.  As a young fighter pilot I was told by several Vietnam Vets, "A superior pilot uses superior judgement not superior skills."
View Quote

Children of the Magenta Line.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So, when they enlist, are they designated to be going into the Army Aviation community or do they take applicants from various MOS from all over the Army?

I also have to assume if a flight candiate does not pass physicals or screening that they would be sent back to what ever unit they came from?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The warrant flight training program takes applicants from any MOS and other branches. Ive seen guys with Tridents flying as warrants. My good buddy was an Air Force PJ, got selected for warrant and transferred over. I'm sure coming from a different branch is a bit more involved but its non uncommon. We had former AWACS controllers, load masters, Seabees, but mostly trigger pullers and a lot of those guys were serious trigger pullers.

If an applicant doesn't meet any of the requirements then yes, they would never even leave their unit. If a warrant officer candidate fails WOCS, they will return to prior rank and MOS to my knowledge. We had a street to seater self eliminate during week 2 of WOCS and choose an enlisted MOS. He went off to AIT. I don't know if he chose that option or if it was imposed on him by the Army.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not hot, and, no.
View Quote

I'm with Skg..

not hot.. and I wouldn't be a passenger.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck no...especially not the critical shit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

That HR screen, tho.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn good point. I will sit her flight out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Another photo:

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I was hired by the majors at 25.  Made MD80 captain at 35, learned a lot in those ten years.  Was also  a C-130 AC during that time.  My answer is no.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#36]
They are probably getting paid minimum wage fyi.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#37]
You can't be old and experienced unless you've been young while gaining experience.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Unless she is trained by a military program or top flight school with wide body experience fuuuk no.  I fly majors, southwest domestic others mainlines overseas.  Never Fuckhead air.  

Not a woman thing age and time thing.  That said if she had 500o hours in kc135 sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:32:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You can't be old and experienced unless you've been young while gaining experience.
View Quote

Just not having me as a passenger go fly jet a around or rubber dogs shit.  'Never seen that much ice on a wing before' while pulling the yolk back comes to mind
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Nope. I'd rather have a seasoned male pilot with tons of experience. Women aren't wired to react the same as men in stressful and life threatening situations.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:40:53 AM EDT
[#41]
nope
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted: At 23 I was an aircraft commander and instructor pilot in the AF with a total of 270 hours.
View Quote

FAIP Mafia!  Where did you go to UPT?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: At 23 I was an aircraft commander and instructor pilot in the AF with a total of 270 hours.

83-08 at Laughlin  Sunny Del Rio by the sea.  NOT
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Chuck Yeager was 24 yrs old when he broke the sound barrier. He became an ace when he was 21.
Yeah, I'd fly with her.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That HR screen, tho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That HR screen, tho.

My employer will hire any one they can find that is a non white male that will meet the minimum qualifications.  And even with that we have very few.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Sure, I was a pilot in command of a UH-1, AH-1 and AH-64 by the time I was that age so no worries (hers that is, not his)
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:04:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:22:44 AM EDT
[#49]
It always amazes me that all the gazillion hour accident free pilots forget that once they were 150 hours accident free.
Were they just totally amazing, one in a million pilots, or did they just get on with it, soak up the training, do the job and make good decisions.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:39:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It always amazes me that all the gazillion hour accident free pilots forget that once they were 150 hours accident free.
Were they just totally amazing, one in a million pilots, or did they just get on with it, soak up the training, do the job and make good decisions.

View Quote

The real question is training.  Where did they get it.  How much instrument time in the sim have they each had.  How many real emergencies have they had.  How many times have they shot an approach to minimums at night?  Do they have the good sense not to bust minimums and go around if they don't break out.  And most importantly will they stand up to their company when flight operations starts pushing them to do things that are beyond there skill set just to keep the flights operating.  You would be shocked at at the number of times I have said no to an operation for various reasons.

I'm sure on a clear VFR day with no problems there are just fine.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top