Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2016 10:31:33 PM EDT
Military.com

Hidden underground in steel-and-concrete silos across rural America, more than 400 intercontinental ballistic missiles point to the skies, poised for launch -- and ready to obliterate cities across the world.

First designed in the 1960s at the height of the Cold War, the Minuteman nuclear weapons are starting to show their age, and replacement parts are difficult to find for the weapons designed in an analog age.

Also aging are their silos, many built in the 1950s and now rusting as water seeps through the decaying concrete.

Over the next 20 years, the U.S. Air Force will switch out the entirety of its Minuteman III fleet with an as-yet-unnamed new missile known only as the Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD).

The Air Force estimates the cost of the GBSD, to be introduced late in the 2020s and phased in over the following decade, will be around $86 billion over the missiles' life cycle of about 50 years.

Critics point to the Defense Department's long history of projects going way over budget and say the cost of replacing the nukes and maintaining their launch facilities is not warranted, given the tactical threats the United States currently faces.

The Air Force "doesn't know how we are going to afford this," said Laicie Heeley, a nuclear expert at the Stimson Center, a nonpartisan anti-nuclear proliferation think tank in Washington.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
86 billion dollars?  Multiply that by 10 or 20.  Get real.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just have SSBNs.  They're harder to find.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Military.com

Hidden underground in steel-and-concrete silos across rural America, more than 400 intercontinental ballistic missiles point to the skies, poised for launch -- and ready to obliterate cities across the world.

First designed in the 1960s at the height of the Cold War, the Minuteman nuclear weapons are starting to show their age, and replacement parts are difficult to find for the weapons designed in an analog age.

Also aging are their silos, many built in the 1950s and now rusting as water seeps through the decaying concrete.

Over the next 20 years, the U.S. Air Force will switch out the entirety of its Minuteman III fleet with an as-yet-unnamed new missile known only as the Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD).

The Air Force estimates the cost of the GBSD, to be introduced late in the 2020s and phased in over the following decade, will be around $86 billion over the missiles' life cycle of about 50 years.

Critics point to the Defense Department's long history of projects going way over budget and say the cost of replacing the nukes and maintaining their launch facilities is not warranted, given the tactical threats the United States currently faces.

The Air Force "doesn't know how we are going to afford this," said Laicie Heeley, a nuclear expert at the Stimson Center, a nonpartisan anti-nuclear proliferation think tank in Washington.
View Quote
View Quote

just fire up the printing presses. Easy Peasy. Why bother looking for fraud, waste, and abuse?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Totally worth it we need to keep our nuke force strong and modern.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
That should be a top priority.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably need it but It doesn't really matter to me, I won't be around to see the aftermath of their use
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I foresee vertical launch F-35's...
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
The triad is there for a reason.

They all have strengths and weaknesses.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Perfect!

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The ONLY "cities across the world" they can hit are ALL in Russia...
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not always a good thing. And they're not responsive, which is what ICBMs excel at.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Not possibly on budget. Put a Dem in charge and they will demolish current silos in preparation for the new ones that will never be built.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I can see updating the hardware, having used a lot of legacy hardware when I was in the canoe club and at my current job.   (we have elex crates older than 3/4 of our operators -- we have cards that have been in service since 1975).   It does get hard to repair that old stuff.  

I'm not entirely sanguine with our land leg strategic deterrence being based on 45+ y.o. rockets.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

They got them to burn. Fission and fusion can't be far behind.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first thought as well
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe that at one time it was thought that submarine launched ballistic missles were somewhat less accurate than land based systems. I am not sure if that is true or if it ever was... It also suspect that there is an advantage to continentally based systems in that an attack on them would clearly trigger a full retaliation. Would we go to war over a downed B52 possibly, over a sunken ballistic missile submarine probably, over an attack on our missle fields definitely.

On the other hand, you can never be sure that a first strike would take out all of your enemies submarines. So they fill a unique niche in the nuclear triad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top