Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2016 8:36:54 PM EDT
What's a good aluminum frame endurance bike to get? With tiagra or 105 components.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you set on aluminum?  The following link is the blog of a guy who does endurance rides, including Paris-Brest-Paris every four years.  Scroll to the very bottom and read the "Journey of Discovery" postings.  They explain what this guy and his friends have discovered works best for endurance rides.  They are currently having a broad impact on bicycling via the recent adoption of fatter tires, even by racers.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Specialized diverge smartweld .
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Define endurance.  Then define budget.

100 miles?  Steel or titanium.

20 miles?  Pick on that fits.  At the Tiagra or 105 levels it won't matter a lot.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
upgrade to carbon and dura ace

thank me later
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you set on aluminum?  The following link is the blog of a guy who does endurance rides, including Paris-Brest-Paris every four years.  Scroll to the very bottom and read the "Journey of Discovery" postings.  They explain what this guy and his friends have discovered works best for endurance rides.  They are currently having a broad impact on bicycling via the recent adoption of fatter tires, even by racers.  

https://janheine.wordpress.com/category/a-journey-of-discovery/page/3/

View Quote

Hang around the bike industry long enough and it all comes around again.

70's steel bikes are best bikes... brah.

Endurance riding and racing are two different animals but...back in the day our sew-up tires were wider and softer.  Clement silk criteriums were what we glued on for long hard rough roads and towards the end of stage races when we were tired.  10 for $100 back in the mid to late 70's  

Fenders.....I still like the larger wider plastic ones-Esse or Blumels. (sp?) and might still have some around.  

Still have handlebar bags...but like triple cranks more now.  

More to the OP's question.....My favorite Aluminum frame for long distance riding is a 80's vintage Klein Performance. E-bay might be your friend.  

But if you can find a good quality....70's vintage steel frame with "European Geometry"  71-72degree headtubes and longer chain stays......you can build on that.  

Carbon fiber is a tool of the devil.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dura ace is a waste of money unless someone is a hardcore racer.  Ultegra will be fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

thank me later

Dura ace is a waste of money unless someone is a hardcore racer.  Ultegra will be fine.

Dura Ace is a waste of money unless someone is sponsored.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank me later

It isn't my money

I ride ultegra......di2
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's a good aluminum frame endurance bike to get? With tiagra or 105 components.
View Quote

What kind of riding are you going to do? And how much mileage? What's the absolute limit on your budget? Trek Domane ALR4 Disc...right around $1700 is a great bike. You can upgrade to a carbon frame (non disc brake) for less than $100.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank me later

This, I run 6400 as a weekend warrior, good enough.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It isn't my money

I ride ultegra......di2
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank me later

It isn't my money

I ride ultegra......di2

Don't get me wrong, 105 is for the little people.

And Campy is for those that want the very best.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Fuji is the best value brand imo

I have one of their cheap cx bikes as a backup and it's fun to ride.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

thank me later

Porsches are a waste of money unless someone is a hardcore driver. A Chevy Cruze will be fine.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
You will with 9100. or Red etap.

You can ride a totally sweet bike for under $10k. It keeps you strong, in good health, and out of trouble. There is no better way to spend your money.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Endurance or Enduro?

Edit: saw you listed road groups so guessing endurance. Get steel or carbon, aluminum is going to beat you up far too much.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Porsches are a waste of money unless someone is a hardcore driver. A Chevy Cruze will be fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank me later

Can't agree on the comparison. My SRAM force shifts equally as well as the red, and costs 1k less at the expense of some weight.

Anything over 105 has good reliabilty, just depends on how serious op is.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can't agree on the comparison. My SRAM force shifts equally as well as the red, and costs 1k less at the expense of some weight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank me later

If your shifting isn't electric you are riding a yugo
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Me and my wife have Fuji's.  I have an Nevada, and she has an Addy.  Been happy with them, I'm going to buy a Tahoe 1.5 or 1.3 sometime soon.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]
The new Fuji cross bikes are coming out too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Endurance riding and racing are two different animals but...back in the day our sew-up tires were wider and softer.  Clement silk criteriums were what we glued on for long hard rough roads and towards the end of stage races when we were tired.  10 for $100 back in the mid to late 70's  

Fenders.....I still like the larger wider plastic ones-Esse or Blumels. (sp?) and might still have some around.  

More to the OP's question.....My favorite Aluminum frame for long distance riding is a 80's vintage Klein Performance. E-bay might be your friend.  

But if you can find a good quality....70's vintage steel frame with "European Geometry"  71-72degree headtubes and longer chain stays......you can build on that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/category/a-journey-of-discovery/page/3/

Bought this French Motobecane in 1977. Mild steel, fully lugged frame. It's not the one I ride the most, but it's the one I like the best.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one like that too that sits on the trainer. I take it out from time to time. Back then the road bikes could take 30mm tires. Not like a "road" bike today that chokes on 26mm tires.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top