Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
FPNI. Mission BBQ is my favorite chain though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it. Their cornbread muffins and beans are delicious.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never been to Famous Dave's but damn the pickles are good. I get a large jar at Costco.
View Quote

Their pickles are on point and the devil's spit sauce is tasty. Portions are small for what you pay though. $10 is a bit much for a sandwich with a few pieces of meat on it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#4]
For a chain it's not bad. I'll take our local shops over it any day.

Back in the day though it was really good. Now I find it hot or miss on quality. Sometimes the brisket is such rubber I can barely eat it and other times it's nice and dry with a smoke ring.

Not sure if they ship in meat partially or fully done and just finish smoke it or what.

Their sauce selection is good though and the devils spit pickles are killer
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Only chain BBQ I've ever really liked is Rudy's
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Ate there a few times. I've never been able to taste the smoke.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Famous Daves is most definitely NOT good bbq.
Dickies is even worse.
Come to Kansas City.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't been to one in several years, but that's because it wasn't very good.  If it was the only bbq place in town, I guess I might go there once in a while but I'd probably still be disappointed.  Hell, there was in Amarillo right between a bunch of hotels and it still couldn't stay open.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Wish we had a Franklins BBQ out here. Too bad it's in Austin,Tx.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/list/the-50-best-bbq-joints-in-the-world/franklin-barbecue/
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never been there, but I have had their sauce before.

http://www.ruralking.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/378x378/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/6/065120035.jpg
This is good stuff here. Not NEARLY as spicy as the name/art would have you believe, but very good flavor.
View Quote

I love that stuff. I can't find it locally. I have to buy it on Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, they are the only ones to figure out the formula. It's not great, but it's decent for fast food. If I see one,I know what to expect.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I love me some Famous Daves
View Quote

Their in-house ranch is very good!
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I like it.  We don't have one close but every time we're in Missoula or Kalispell it's one of our stops.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As a chain BBQ, Dave's doesn't compare to Rudy's. I buy my sauce mail order from Rudy's, and then use it sometimes on Dave's brisket.
View Quote

#firstworldbbqproblems
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is Famous Dave's considered to be good BBQ? Nearly all of the BBQ I've had was stuffI smoked. Stilll a rookie. I just wondered what "good" BBQ is like. Ate lunch there today. Had sliced brisket.
View Quote

No. Come to KC and find out what real BBQ tastes like.   They had one here for a bit and it quickly closed lol.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I was raised in Kentucky on mutton, so everything else pretty much sucks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rudy's is indeed good, but it's a fairly regional chain, with only a few locations outside of Texas.

We recently got a Mission BBQ here. It's pretty darn good, especially for a chain. I've started getting lunch there about once every other week.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Good stuff for this Alaskan palate. I look them up when I am traveling and if they are at my destination I pay them a visit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All things considered, Dave's is a dam good place. He is a staple in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Now who can raise their hand and say they ate at the original joint? I can!

They made a good showing here in LR, about a year and a half in it went to shit. Place was closed in the last go around of closings. Miss it very much for the StL style ribs.
View Quote

Hayward? Yep, my buddy used to live on the same lake. Awesome place. too bad it burned down.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread makes me want to move from KC to anywhere else where people think Famous Dave's is good, open a real BBQ joint, and basically print money.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Their pickles are on point and the devil's spit sauce is tasty. Portions are small for what you pay though. $10 is a bit much for a sandwich with a few pieces of meat on it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never been to Famous Dave's but damn the pickles are good. I get a large jar at Costco.

Yum!
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Rudy's is better for chain.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This thread makes me want to move from KC to anywhere else where people think Famous Dave's is good, open a real BBQ joint, and basically print money.
View Quote

I've thought about this time and time again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#24]
It is the only decent place to eat in El Centro California... ask me how I know... Not the greates BBQ but it fills a hole.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Never been there, but I have had their sauce before.

http://www.ruralking.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/378x378/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/6/065120035.jpg
This is good stuff here. Not NEARLY as spicy as the name/art would have you believe, but very good flavor.
View Quote

For hot you get Wilbur's Revenge!  It ain't ghost pepper but for normal folks it's pretty fucking hot.

For me, it's a toss up between Famous Dave's and Mission BBQ.  My dad loved Famous Dave's and we'd go to lunch there whenever we got together (that and Hard Times Café).  Mission BBQ catered an FBI shoot at Quantico and they do a shitload of stuff for Wounded Warriors plus they serve really tasty chow. Their baked beans are fucking AWESOME!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's pretty good for chain BBQ if you're in an area not known for for BBQ.
View Quote

Well put.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#27]
The ones I have been to here in Phx have been fine.

Some people come in here to hate on everything. No matter what restaurant or fast food chain you mention, the haters will be in to tell you that its pure, unadulterated shit. Sometimes I really doubt they have ever eaten at the places they hate on.

Take their negativity with a very large grain of salt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Rudy's in TX for brisket and Sticky Fingers in TN and the area for some great dry rub ribs and awesome wings.

jd1
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I like their Hot Link sausage that comes on the Manhandler sammich. I don't understand why more BBQ places don't have sausage on the menu. I've never actually been to a real bbq place, just chain's for the most part. But it's a sin damn it. Anytime I grill or smoke, you better believe a kielbasa, at minimum, is joining the party.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Some people come in here to hate on everything. No matter what restaurant or fast food chain you mention, the haters will be in to tell you that its pure, unadulterated shit. Sometimes I really doubt they have ever eaten at the places they hate on.

View Quote

This. Speaking of salt, If you want a good laugh, you should start a thread on best salt.

"Morton's iodized is best"
"no, you want Kosher."
"Kosher sucks, all white salt sucks. Pink Himalayan salt is best, has more minerals in it."
"Colored salt is a gimmick, learn how to make your own salt from fresh seawater, you'll never buy supermarket salt again."
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Hawaiian sea salt brah, hands down.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hawaiian sea salt brah, hands down.
View Quote

I think I have some of that. I picked up an assortment of fancy salt a few years back. I have some black salt that I'm itching for an excuse to use on something.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm lucky enough to have some independent 'mom and pop' authentic bbq places nearby....but in a pinch if I weren't in the area, famous Daves is ok. Recently discovered Mission BBQ....another chain place....food was better than Daves and I like the theme. Seems like the ARFCOM chain of BBQ. I plan to put a LaRue 'God bless our troops' on the wall at the local one next time I go.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This. Speaking of salt, If you want a good laugh, you should start a thread on best salt.

"no, you want Kosher."
"Kosher sucks, all white salt sucks. Pink Himalayan salt is best, has more minerals in it."
"Colored salt is a gimmick, learn how to make your own salt from fresh seawater, you'll never buy supermarket salt again."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"no, you want Kosher."

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

^This

It's OK for a chain place but nothing special. For chain BBQ places Dickey's is better IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This

It's OK for a chain place but nothing special. For chain BBQ places Dickey's is better IMO.

The Dickey's we have in town is entirely forgettable.

But the Famous Dave's 60 miles away is pretty darned good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. Also a Devils Spit fan.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Have to agree with the good for a chain commnents, and I buy bottles of the Devil's Spit sauce for home.  I put it on a lot of foods...

I miss when I was travelling a lot for work to Birmingham.  We'd do Jim N Nick's or Dreamland each like once a week when we were there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Have to agree with the good for a chain commnents, and I buy bottles of the Devil's Spit sauce for home.  I put it on a lot of foods...

I miss when I was travelling a lot for work to Birmingham.  We'd do Jim N Nick's or Dreamland each like once a week when we were there.
View Quote

I think you meant to say "good chain for condiments."  Everybody talking about BBQ sauce and ranch, not ribs and brisket.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top