View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
GM LS FTW
Lmao  

Right?

LS is not a nice sounding engine as far as I am concerned.  A damn good engine though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

FIFY.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I learned to drive in a 91 f350 long bed with a 351 Cleveland under the hood, truck was special ordered Dana front and rear, the whole nine
I was 10 years old at the time, last drove that truck at 14
My dad raced a trans am with it and left the trans am in the dust in the quarter mile

It had serious balls, I haven't had a vehicle like that in my family since
Damn I miss that truck, it was something special

No you didn't.

ETA:. Ford quit using the Cleveland in the 70's.  The engine in that truck would have been a Windsor if it was a 351.  Could have been a 460 if it was a big-block.  And it would have Dana running gear regardless of how it was "special ordered".

Bad night? Fell like pissing in someone's coco puffs?
351 clevelands do exist, a quick Google search proves that
And my old man was not the original owner, just happened to be at the lot on the right day wish cash
Repeating it as it was said to me and what I experienced as a kid, I'm not a expert on this shit, good for you if you are
Belive what ever you want bro

Have a nice day, try again

No he is right ,  It could have been put together but the Cleveland ran from 69-74 and emissions killed it off , The 400m was in a lot of trucks and looks a lot like a Cleveland from the top . it is a sort of cross between a 351 and 460 with no great things to say . The 91 has a Ford rear a 10.25 and not a Dana . I have a 90 sitting here at the house . A Cleveland will only fit where a small block was also  The only 2 gas engines in 91 are a 351 w and a 460 . also in 91 it would have been fuel injected , There were never factory fuel injected Clevelands.

FIFY.  

Oh, indeed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I own a 400M which is in the Cleveland family.  I would love for you to try and bolt a small block bellhousing to it.

Hint: It requires a big bell housing, and it's not a small-block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I learned to drive in a 91 f350 long bed with a 351 Cleveland under the hood, truck was special ordered Dana front and rear, the whole nine
My dad raced a trans am with it and left the trans am in the dust in the quarter mile

No you didn't.

ETA:. Ford quit using the Cleveland in the 70's.  The engine in that truck would have been a Windsor if it was a 351.  Could have been a 460 if it was a big-block.  And it would have Dana running gear regardless of how it was "special ordered".

Bad night? Fell like pissing in someone's coco puffs?
351 clevelands do exist, a quick Google search proves that
And my old man was not the original owner, just happened to be at the lot on the right day wish cash
Repeating it as it was said to me and what I experienced as a kid

Have a nice day, try again

Yep, that Cleveland block uses the same motor mounts, flexplate and bell housing as the SBF, though the bell housing has to match the flywheel, which will be either 157 or 164 teeth with a C4. That would be an easy swap into a truck.

I own a 400M which is in the Cleveland family.  I would love for you to try and bolt a small block bellhousing to it.

Hint: It requires a big bell housing, and it's not a small-block.

Yes, for some reason Ford chose to go with the 429/460 bolt pattern on the back of the M engines.  The urge to keep changing bolt patterns is one of the things I've always disliked about Ford.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The stroker Cleveland I pulled this past weekend, and will be reinstalling this coming weekend, originally had the 164 tooth flexplate and matching bell housing. Once again, it will be in front of a 157 tooth flexplate and bell housing which was previously used with both a 302 and 351W.
View Quote

There are what we call "big bell and small bell" C4 and C6 transmissions. The reason why they are known like that is obviously the bolt pattern and size difference, and the fact the bellhousing and housing is one piece.  The bellhousing isn't swappable without an aftermarket case.

I have a 1978 Ford 4x4 with the 400M as I mentioned earlier.  It will not fit, and I do not care what you think you know.  The bellhousing bolt pattern for my engine is the same as the 429/460 engines, as I have them as well.

Maybe the 351C is different.  But I get sick of reading various things on the net and magazine articles claiming they are the same, when I know firsthand they ain't.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty sure there are plenty of race builders still doing what is needed to make them work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
400+cuin Clevors for the win.

This. Do they still make the spacers for the intake manifolds?

Pretty sure there are plenty of race builders still doing what is needed to make them work.

Yes, but aftermarket heads have gotten so good that adapting Cleveland heads to Windsor blocks isn't as beneficial as it used to be.
There are some insane Windsor-compatible castings available that weren't around 15 years ago.

The exhaust side of Clevelands was always the choke point, in spite of the giant valves.
The port shape had an abrupt downward bend, and were more restrictive than they should've been for the volume.

The trick modification was to mill off the exhaust ports, and mount an aluminum plate (with re-positioned ports) in its place.
It routed the flow up at a much more efficient angle than did the factory castings.
Jack Roush, Bob Glidden were two guys who had a lot of success with doing that.

A bit later, Doug Yates and Ford re-designed the castings to make them even better.
Yates heads are still worth a big pile of money, even today.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, for some reason Ford chose to go with the 429/460 bolt pattern on the back of the M engines.  The urge to keep changing bolt patterns is one of the things I've always disliked about Ford.

View Quote

This makes sense.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
My Dad's got a 70 351 Cleveland 4v sitting in his garage, mothballed. We've been looking for just the right old pickup truck to put it in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My Dad's got a 70 351 Cleveland 4v sitting in his garage, mothballed. We've been looking for just the right old pickup truck to put it in.
View Quote

I know they have been done to death, but something about a 56' Ford speaks to me....
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys are all nuts. The Y-Block and I-Block were the pinnacle of Ford engine technology.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, those motors weren't too happy under 3k rpm.
If those are true 4V heads, it won't make a lot of torque down low.  Not ideal for heavy vehicles.
Would want a 4-speed or a sloppy loose torque converter, and a deep rear gear.
Probably turning 3500-4000rpm at freeway speeds.
6mpg, and you'll go deaf
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You guys are all nuts. The Y-Block and I-Block were the pinnacle of Ford engine technology.
View Quote

Unless my sarcasm meter is broke...

Edit:  Y-block, also know as 'why-block'
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, but aftermarket heads have gotten so good that adapting Cleveland heads to Windsor blocks isn't as beneficial as it used to be.
There are some insane Windsor-compatible castings available that weren't around 15 years ago.

The exhaust side of Clevelands was always the choke point, in spite of the giant valves.
The port shape had an abrupt downward bend, and were more restrictive than they should've been for the volume.

The trick modification was to mill off the exhaust ports, and mount an aluminum plate (with re-positioned ports) in its place.
It routed the flow up at a much more efficient angle than did the factory castings.

A bit later, Doug Yates and Ford re-designed the castings to make them even better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have what should be a fairly nasty 331 with cnc ported heads out in the garage.   Waiting for a 65 Mustang to put it in as my 95 Cobra is just gonna get a HCI rebuild(after dropping 14k into the 331).

If I ever have more money than worries in the world I will be going with a Kasse based build for a nasty as hell 351W based 65 or 69 Fastback.   But the Clevor was still a pretty cool thing when it got figured out.

Co-worker of mine used to work in building cylinder heads for what eventually became AFR.

The Windsor wins out simply because I know of nobody making legitimats Clevland style blocks that can punch out to big cubes like a Windsor.   My buddy went from a tall deck bigger cuin 427+ cuin drag motor to a shorter deck higher winding version in his drag car, he running 8.5x at 155+.

A nice 427 cuin Ford small block is a nice engine if you are happy to spend a bit more and resist the urge to drop a chevy in a ford.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey!! Don't be knocking that 1950's technology. 114 and 172 HP factory ratings for my two trucks were impressive at the time.

FWIW I can't kill my I-Block. It just keeps going and going and going and going...
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No you didn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No you didn't.

It would have had a Dana 60 in the front but most likely a sterling 10.25 in the rear.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It would have had a Dana 60 in the front but most likely a sterling 10.25 in the rear.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you didn't.

Yeah, I'm looking for a decent one to steal the running gear for this....

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Cleveland Model 248 engine

The Cod's oil was contaminated with water. A drain-and-replace was required before ignition.

"We are proud to help Cod get her engines running again," said PetroLiance regional VP Jim McClellan. It amounts to about a $10,000 donation, said Paul Farace, director of the Cod memorial.

The massive oil change happened Saturday. Workers from EnviroServe drained oil and a thick layer of sludge was from the sumps of the submarine's engines and about 500 gallons of fresh oil was pumped in to allow the 16-cylinder, 20-ton diesel engines to operate.

Farace said the old oil was more than 40 years old "and there was some dinosaur teeth and toenails down there."

V-16, 1,600 HP diesel engines were originally built right here in Cleveland, Ohio -- the last in 1943. Each engine, with its attached DC electrical generator, weighs about 43,000 pounds (21,000 kG)

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You NEED to put it in a 65 or 66 mustang fastback.

Headers are tricky but doable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 351c 4 barrel  closed chamber head hooked up to a Top Loader sitting in the garage I owned a 73 ram air Mach 1 and had a Maverick with a Cleveland in it .

Ugh...shock towers...(shudder)
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:38:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, God...the exhaust routing on those...
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I happen to be good friends with a guy in N Ky that has a 1970 Torino GT convertible with a 351C engine project car he is willing to let go.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL......1986 ford "anything" sucked gorilla balls.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL......1986 ford "anything" sucked gorilla balls.....

My 86 disagrees. 30 years old and still runs like a top

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It was just signaling to you that it was time for it's daily oil feeding.

Detroits, like Harleys, don't leak. They just leave their mark.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I prefer Detroit.

http:// http://www.whiteowl.com/8V71-C.JPG

I used to have a picture of a Kenworth with an 8-71 on my living room wall , Was the first truck I ever worked on .  I had to take the picture down it leaked oil on the couch

It was just signaling to you that it was time for it's daily oil feeding.

Detroits, like Harleys, don't leak. They just leave their mark.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 351c 4 barrel  closed chamber head hooked up to a Top Loader sitting in the garage I owned a 73 ram air Mach 1 and had a Maverick with a Cleveland in it .

Easily removed.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If those are true 4V heads, it won't make a lot of torque down low.  Not ideal for heavy vehicles.
6mpg, and you'll go deaf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6mpg, and you'll go deaf

I used to own this combination in my 73 Mustang . 2800 rpm converter and 4:30 gears . I have you know it will get 10 mpg . In the city or on the highway.  10 not 6 .

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh the joy of getting the headers on my '65 Mustang years ago.  The memories.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't Edelbrock recently release Cleveland heads with raised ports as an option?  I know they talked about that when they released the stock port version last year.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top