Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#1]
He was supposed to start today but was pushed back to start the series opener against the Mets.

If he was to start today, he probably wouldn't have been out boating. Life is a fickle thing.

Makes you think.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Boating at night is serious fucking business.  Even in water you know well.  Shit happens really, really fast even when you're not going fast because judging distances is extremely difficult.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn man all my guns were on that boat...
View Quote
Your sense of humor is typical of a new member. Bad timing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome pitcher. Old school and not afraid to pitch inside. Passionate and fierce competitor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

New CC's  go plenty fast nowadays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
May I guess?

Big 'Go-fast' boat.
Drinking.
Hit something hard.

Looks like a CC to me.

New CC's  go plenty fast nowadays.

A buddy of mine has a 35' Contender with a pair of 300hp Yamaha's.  It's a 65+ mph boat.  At 55mph he walked right past me like I was standing still.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#7]
He was a stud and seemed like a good dude in all the interviews I saw of him. RIP.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can just get Navionics on your phone for $15. That Jetty has been there since the 1930's it's not like it's suddenly changed any.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn crazy. One of the top players in the game. I do have to wonder though if there are any lights on the jetty? Or did they just not know where they were? Im sure alcohol played a factor. But it also seems like it would be a good idea to have a few lights along the rocks.

Usually not lit at all. You can find them at night using NVGs because of the waves breaking on the rocks. It's also not a good idea to haul ass in the dark when you know there is a big pile of rocks out there.

You can just get Navionics on your phone for $15. That Jetty has been there since the 1930's it's not like it's suddenly changed any.

And it's a fucking outstanding app too.  I really need to put it on a tablet in a waterproof case.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No one here wears pfd's just the nature of the beast and don't do myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even with a smaller outboard that boat would do 35-45 mph, and those jetty rocks aren't moving.  i womder if he had a life vest on and was found floating or if he knocked his head on something in the boat? Either way a sad deal. I love boating but you have to always be 100% aware or things like this happen.

That's just dumb.  Running at night, running in any seas, navigating inlets or running offshore at all - my entire crew wear inflatables.  I actually just sat down to read this thread after repacking our emergency kits and PLBs in each of our vests.  You may choose not to do it, but it's not anything I would condone or try to convince others that it's normal and okay.  When venturing out on liquid that will kill you if you can't stay out of it to breathe, wearing something that keeps you on the surface just seems obvious.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn, very talented guy.

RIP
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And it's a fucking outstanding app too.  I really need to put it on a tablet in a waterproof case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn crazy. One of the top players in the game. I do have to wonder though if there are any lights on the jetty? Or did they just not know where they were? Im sure alcohol played a factor. But it also seems like it would be a good idea to have a few lights along the rocks.

Usually not lit at all. You can find them at night using NVGs because of the waves breaking on the rocks. It's also not a good idea to haul ass in the dark when you know there is a big pile of rocks out there.

Exactly.

With nav software as easily accessible as it is today, no reason at all to be surprised by a jetty.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll always remember this. This guy had Cooperstown stuff. So sad.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Big loss for Sofla, Jose seemed like he was one of the good ones.

Boating at night is dangerous,  It looks to me like the came in fast, got confused and misjudged where the cut jets out.

Also given the fact that you have no FOV when the boats up and its a recipe, its pitch black out there.

descanse en paz

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's just dumb.  Running at night, running in any seas, navigating inlets or running offshore at all - my entire crew wear inflatables.  I actually just sat down to read this thread after repacking our emergency kits and PLBs in each of our vests.  You may choose not to do it, but it's not anything I would condone or try to convince others that it's normal and okay.  When venturing out on liquid that will kill you if you can't stay out of it to breathe, wearing something that keeps you on the surface just seems obvious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even with a smaller outboard that boat would do 35-45 mph, and those jetty rocks aren't moving.  i womder if he had a life vest on and was found floating or if he knocked his head on something in the boat? Either way a sad deal. I love boating but you have to always be 100% aware or things like this happen.

IIRC, 80%+ of those killed in boating accidents are not wearing a PFD.

As unobtrusive as they are today, it makes zero sense to not wear one, ESPECIALLY SO at night.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As unobtrusive as they are today, it makes zero sense to not wear one, ESPECIALLY SO at night.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lifeline FTW.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]
the poor boat....looked like a nice SeaVee.

Like most boating accidents this was probably due to a chain of events.

1. no pfd
2. too fast for the conditions
3. lack of training or use of GPS
4. lack of good judgement used.

RIP
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubt a pfd would of helped in that crash, thinking massive blunt force trauma. PFD's are hot, I don't own or wear plates to the range either.
I've thrown one on going in a gnarly inlet  a few times. Each his own and commend your crew's wearing them. But really hope mandatory
wearing never comes up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He just announced last week he and his wife were expecting there first child. Sad.
View Quote

Jesus Christ!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Boating at night is serious fucking business.  Even in water you know well.  Shit happens really, really fast even when you're not going fast because judging distances is extremely difficult.
View Quote

I boat at night all the time and even going 30 mph on the water shit happens fast. I use NV and I have gps and navionics but even all those won't show you a huge log floating barely above the surface

. I have almost been hit by another boat that fucking turned into me as we where passing at night in a slight fog.  (we were in a channel and about 50 yards apart)I have no idea what this Mtherfucker was thinking but it was surreal. I was a decent distance away and was sure he could see me but had to kick it up to 55 mph just to be safe.

So even if you do everything right there are still things out of your control that you have to be always scanning for.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Driving at night with your interior lights on is bad.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#21]

RIP

So sad for his family, he was going to have a baby soon as well. Just announced 5 days ago.

The announcement picture shows her in a bikini, but you can view it here on his instagram

jofez16 I'm so glad you came into my life. I'm ready for where this journey is gonna take us together. #familyfirst
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Shit..
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s612.photobucket.com/user/americancheese1/media/1437932533_191fjkr_7fk8f_zps9o73hnep.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt202/americancheese1/1437932533_191fjkr_7fk8f_zps9o73hnep.gif</a>

Too soon?
View Quote

LOL Nope
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn .
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Doubt a pfd would of helped in that crash, thinking massive blunt force trauma. PFD's are hot, I don't own or wear plates to the range either.
I've thrown one on going in a gnarly inlet  a few times. Each his own and commend your crew's wearing them. But really hope mandatory
wearing never comes up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wearing never comes up.

Wearing a PFD is not even close to wear plates to a range.  Maybe close to soft armor, although if the soft armor was as cheap as a PFD it might be a close comparison.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#27]

What a damned shame RIP.

That boat had to be hauling ass for the bottom to look like that and the boat end up on the rocks as it did.

Who runs a boat that hard at night ?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd say he found his strike zone. Bada Bing........
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#29]
That sucks
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Shit..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shit..

Yeah. Brutal
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had some close calls in boats at night. And I simply won't fly VFR, especially at night.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#32]
RIP
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I liked Fernandez. He always had fun playing baseball

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#34]
jofez16I was both honored and humbled today when I was able to spend time with the true heroes of our time . These men and women risk their lives to protect our country and our freedom. As a Cuban who became an American I salute Ft. Bragg and all who made this day possible.#JDF16
View Quote

Definitely lost a good one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, I've only done it a couple of times on lakes and marked my path into and out of the marina on my GPS and ended my night of fishing across from the marina and it was still a bitch to get in.  I couldn't see the marker buoys until I was on top of them and I wasn't even on plane.  I would have to know an area real well to even consider going fast at night.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I boat a lot and really don't like boating after dark , early morning is much better for me even if it's two hours until sunup . So many bad things can happen when the sun goes down and you and other boaters have been going hard for a lot of hours.

I know Tampa bay really well  but things are different in the dark.  I have almost ran over many canoes and kayak at 10 pm running home from the river pubs...their eyes get huge when  just miss them.

I had a big dust up with my buddy once on where the mouth of the Alafia river that I live on was coming back from a July 4th fireworks party before we all got gps...we both were wrong. Stuff  seems to change...always turn on the boat lights.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wearing a PFD is not even close to wear plates to a range.  Maybe close to soft armor, although if the soft armor was as cheap as a PFD it might be a close comparison.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wearing never comes up.

My point is He died here and come Monday people will be calling for more "Safe" boating laws.
We've done this dance before,  last summer when two boys drowned in Jupiter.
Now back to the story.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#38]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#39]
RIP Jose!!  He was an amazing pitcher and he seemed like he was a great guy as well!
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I got a shiny penny to wager that they'll put lights or some other kind of visual aid to navigate them at night.

Nevermind everyone else that died there. Gotta do it now because someone celebrated/highly compensated for his ability to throw a ball died there.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#41]
That's tragic.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#42]
very happy i got to see him vs kershaw a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Certainly and unfortunate and tragic event.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Jose was born in Cuba in 1992 and attempted to defect to the United States three times between 2005 and 2007, all of which failed. Each time he was caught he was put in prison. Think about that for a second. Between the ages of 13 and 15 he tried to escape his communist oppressors three times, was caught and imprisoned. In 2007, on his 4th attempt, he, his mom  and his sister succeeded. On that boat ride over, his mom was thrown out of the boat by rough seas. Jose saw someone get thrown out, not knowing it was his mother, and jumped out to go rescue them. The boat came back and picked him up, and he made it to the US. He finished high school in Florida.

Jose pitched his first game in the Major Leagues at the age of 20, getting the start against the Mets at Citi Field in New York. He had to have Tommy John surgery in 2014 and came back to the big leagues in 2015. His career record was 38-17 with a 2.58 ERA. This year he lead the National League with a strike out rate of 12.5 strike outs per nine innings pitched. He was the NL Rookie of the Year in 2013 and made the NL All Star team in 2013 and 2016.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ THIS RIGHT HERE
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#47]
He'll be missed.  He was up for a big contract in two years and it would have been big, probably too big for the Marlins having come off of recent Tommy John surgery.

It was very tumultuous last night with plenty of lightning and rain, so not ideal for boating at 3:30am.

God bless.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Jose was born in Cuba in 1992 and attempted to defect to the United States three times between 2005 and 2007, all of which failed. Each time he was caught he was put in prison. Think about that for a second. Between the ages of 13 and 15 he tried to escape his communist oppressors three times, was caught and imprisoned. In 2007, on his 4th attempt, he, his mom  and his sister succeeded. On that boat ride over, his mom was thrown out of the boat by rough seas. Jose saw someone get thrown out, not knowing it was his mother, and jumped out to go rescue them. The boat came back and picked him up, and he made it to the US. He finished high school in Florida.

Jose pitched his first game in the Major Leagues at the age of 20, getting the start against the Mets at Citi Field in New York. He had to have Tommy John surgery in 2014 and came back to the big leagues in 2015. His career record was 38-17 with a 2.58 ERA. This year he lead the National League with a strike out rate of 12.5 strike outs per nine innings pitched. He was the NL Rookie of the Year in 2013 and made the NL All Star team in 2013 and 2016.

View Quote

To put it in perspective for non-baseball fans. He had the highest WAR (win above replacement) among all pitchers this season, since Clayton Kershaw doesn't meet minimum innings required. Baseball values a win above replacement level at about $6+ million a year in salary, for contract purposes. He was really, really good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I got a shiny penny to wager that they'll put lights or some other kind of visual aid to navigate them at night.

Nevermind everyone else that died there. Gotta do it now because someone celebrated/highly compensated for his ability to throw a ball died there.  
View Quote

In the daytime photos of the scene posted it looks like there were several light equipped buoys just past the end of the jetty.  Makes the question of "Why?" even more problematic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Now I will play devil's advocate here. When I go out on the boat I see some incredible crazy shit. Balls out bat shit speed of morans outside of the channel markers. I have seen dozens of accidents, most of them rocks and shoals. Now at night, all I can say is wow. The channel markers are there for a reason. You go slow, you are transitioning from shallow to deep. Now once you are past the channel markers you can accelerate. If you are outside the channel markers and you bottom out, well.....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top