Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2016 9:25:58 AM EDT
Given the availability of body armor, should preps include a stash of M855/M855A1 (to include a commercial equivalent) penetrator rounds?

And if so, how much, percentage wise, should be stocked?

If you don't think this type of ammo should be stocked, please elaborate in your finest GD fashion.

edit: fixed spelling and other stupid shit.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how many arfcommers you want to take out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Not important.  Shitty round is shitty. It does nothing better than any bonded or OTM round.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Or invading gov elements.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Total Anarchy Mad Max style SHTF is a fantasy. Body armor, particularly rifle rated plates are rare outside military and police. A combat load of  7 magazines + A M2A1 can per rifle should be sufficient. That's 840 rnds packed in bandoliers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#6]
easier to just shoot cheap-ish ballistic tip ammo and aim for legs, arms, and whatever, than try to shoot thru body armor on purpose. ( with $1 + m855a1 ammo. )
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Total Anarchy Mad Max style SHTF is a fantasy. Body armor, particularly rifle rated plates are rare outside military and police. A combat load of  7 magazines + A M2A1 can per rifle should be sufficient. That's 840 rnds packed in bandoliers.
View Quote

This. Truthfully. If you get in a firefight, you will either be killed, the attacker will be killed or you will both retreat after 1 or 2 magazines have been fired.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#8]
You know, if the shit REALLY hits the fan and there are rolling gun battles; most will not live past a handful of engagements.  Meaning, the life-span will be about 12 mags tops.

So stop fantasizing that you'll need 20,000 rounds and 250 mags.  Chances are, you wont make it past the first 6 mag combat load out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#9]
How many likely recipients of your lead would actually be armored?  I think our perception of the proliferation of body armor, and even rifle armor at that, is a bit skewed because a lot of people "here" have it.  

That said, I believe you should strive to have the best you can have.  If that's 855A1, awesome.  It works great on shirtless goblins, too.  If that's 193, great.  It makes even up-armored basement dwellers think three times before fucking with you, too.  If its 9mm, I'm sure there will still be a need for homosexual love in the apocalypse.

(I'm kidding, don't get your non-45 panties in a bunch  )

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not important.  Shitty round is shitty. It does nothing better than any bonded or OTM round.
View Quote

Go watch a science video
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How many likely recipients of your lead would actually be armored?  I think our perception of the proliferation of body armor, and even rifle armor at that, is a bit skewed because a lot of people "here" have it.  

That said, I believe you should strive to have the best you can have.  If that's 855A1, awesome.  It works great on shirtless goblins, too.  If that's 193, great.  It makes even up-armored basement dwellers think three times before fucking with you, too.  If its 9mm, I'm sure there will still be a need for homosexual love in the apocalypse.

View Quote

You bastid!  I reading this with a serious eye, taking note of and agreeing with your premise, and then, BAM, I wet down my keyboard with coffee!  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
The correct answer

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The correct answer

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/2562EBA4-E4DC-4311-B157-EBC191BB3DFA_zpsqw6lcibn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/2562EBA4-E4DC-4311-B157-EBC191BB3DFA_zpsqw6lcibn.jpg</a>
View Quote

dude, those are expensive, I hear to shoot them you need to spend a Garand minimum.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Or invading gov elements.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You know, if the shit REALLY hits the fan and there are rolling gun battles; most will not live past a handful of engagements.  Meaning, the life-span will be about 12 mags tops.

So stop fantasizing that you'll need 20,000 rounds and 250 mags.  Chances are, you wont make it past the first 6 mag combat load out.
View Quote

I think most people envision that in a SHTF scenario, they'll be strong pointing a location and defending for the duration.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

dude, those are expensive, I hear to shoot them you need to spend a Garand minimum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The correct answer

<a href="http://s487.photobucket.com/user/oscardeuce/media/2562EBA4-E4DC-4311-B157-EBC191BB3DFA_zpsqw6lcibn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/oscardeuce/2562EBA4-E4DC-4311-B157-EBC191BB3DFA_zpsqw6lcibn.jpg</a>

BAN HIM
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank God, that 7th mag was hurting my back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

way to rain on my parade buddy..
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#20]
SHTF?

Well I suppose that yes, ammo will be important but more so it'll be critical to have a bunch of your best friends similarially armed and trained.  Basic load of good OTM, DBAL, set of NODs and a supressor for all will dial up the fun factor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Seriously? 100%
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Lol.... I need to refill my coffee now after spitting it out!
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You just have to be motivated to get past the 6th.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Why do people call m855 shitty? Is there better rounds, of course but our military has dropped dozens of people with it. Its probably people using it in a 10in sbr.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why do people call m855 shitty? Is there better rounds, of course but our military has dropped dozens of people with it. Its probably people using it in a 10in sbr.
View Quote

good point, often what we call the worst, is often just sub optimal, or not as good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
easier to just shoot cheap-ish ballistic tip ammo and aim for legs, arms, and whatever, than try to shoot thru body armor on purpose. ( with $1 + m855a1 ammo. )
View Quote

Srsly? Please, reconsider this post.

"Aim for legs/arms/whatever" is at cross purposes with center of mass training. It's not that simple.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Perpetrator rounds? Oh, I gotta get me some of those!

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#29]
7.62x51mm is better millimeter
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#30]
FYI  all rounds are "perpetrator rounds" if SHTF.

Even Wolf.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
FYI  all rounds are "perpetrator rounds" if SHTF.

Even Wolf.
View Quote

+1 its a "whats in my stash" thats a good ammo
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#32]
If SHTF, I'll be making tracks for the hills with my family, not looking to get into gun fights. Light and fast. Engagements with armed adversaries would likely be limited.

I'm thinking that most well armed and equipped individuals will be friend rather than foe.

Oh, and this shit is only in GD's wet dreams. The Great Depression is more likely what we'll see again. There were no roaming gun fights. Sorry guys....
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Neither are punching through level 4 ceramics.
Which is what everyone but cheap bastards and idiots will wear.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

BAN HIM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The correct answer

BAN HIM

Hey I thought it was decent.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Didn't we just do this and come to the conclusion that everyone needs at least 2 battle rifles because they would be the best choice in a SHTF scenario?

And since M855 won't work in a 7.62 battle rifle you need exactly zero M855 ammo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"Aim for legs/arms/whatever" is at cross purposes with center of mass training. It's not that simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not saying to NOT aim center mass... just saying if center mass hits are not working, might be time to aim for something else.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Neither are punching through level 4 ceramics.
Which is what everyone but cheap bastards and idiots will wear.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

not saying to NOT aim center mass... just saying if center mass hits are not working, might be time to aim for something else.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dick shots FTW.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
7.62x51mm is better millimeter
View Quote

....You Sir are a gentleman.....and speak the truth !  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fair. If you shoot someone several times in the same spot to no effect, try something different.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This. Truthfully. If you get in a firefight, you will either be killed, the attacker will be killed or you will both retreat after 1 or 2 magazines have been fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both me and my bud have level 3+ plates. so I don't think its very rare in the gun owning world.
the cost of armor and the availability make it a no brainer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"Having ammo" will be important. No one will care what kind.
View Quote
#loadedmagsmatter
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#43]
M855 is shitty anti-armor ammo.

It does NOT go through armor any better than other commonly available ammo.  The "PENETRATOR" term is a marketing term used to sell this stuff to customers.

One of the original requirements for the ammo was penetration of a k-pot at 600 meters.  They were having stabilization issues with early versions at that distance so it would not RELIABLY impact the helmet at a perfect 90 degrees to guarantee penetration.  To add stability they needed to lengthen the projectile while maintaining 62gr weight.  Obviously you cannot make the bullet longer and still fill with lead and stay at 62.  Light bulb went on and someone thought to replace a section of lead with a lighter commonly available material - steel - and the SS109/M855 was born.

The steel has nothing to do with punching through a target except to change the flight characteristics and add long range stability by making the bullet longer.  It is soft steel anyway.

Anyone that has shot steel targets with 5.56 has certainly noticed that M855 has a tough time getting through while M193 drills nice holes.  Speed is king in penetration and M193 has it all over M855 in speed.

If you want to drill through body armor, load light weight solid copper bullets at high velocity.

Lightweight 5.56 has another advantage of universal weapon compatibility.  It will work with any twist barrel from 1:7 to 1:14 in any weather.  M855 will work only in 1:7 to 1:9 reliably.  Anything slower and you see tumbling at short ranges - even worse in cold weather.  I shot a match with my older 1:12 G33 and all I had on hand was M855.  At 25 yards I was getting a lot of sideways strikes in targets.

M855 is good ammo in that it is sealed from the elements and guaranteed to go bang.  It has a long storage life.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well said indeed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Perpetrator rounds? Oh, I gotta get me some of those!

View Quote

Shit (LOL).  Should have had moar coffee.  fixed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Slow load double tap.

Next one is to the head.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wish (wonder) that more people understood this.

Unless you're part of an "organized militia" , the lone wolf or very small group will not fair well in a firefight.

EE is the order of the day, and a .308 battle rifle will be the albatross around many a neck.

Light and fast, silent and invisible.

I would even go as far to say a suppressed 10/22 or bolt gun would be far more advantageous to the E&E crowd than a full power rifle.

Head shots silent and deadly. But you'll have to be close. And not many folks have the stomach for that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Given the availability of body armor, should preps include a stash of M885/M885A1 (to include a commercial equivalent) penetrator rounds?

And if so, how much, percentage wise, should be stocked?

If you don't think this type of ammo should be stocked, please elaborate in your finest GD fashion.

edit: fixed spelling.

View Quote

M885?

Is that moar betterer than M855?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top