User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Single stack 9 mm. PPS/G42, etc.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#2]
My wifes daily carry is a Sig P239 9mm, rifle wise she has her choice of either a SCAR 17 set up for her or one of the PS90s which are her favorite for home defense due to low reciol, lots of rounds and ease of use.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My ex was 5'3" and maybe 120#.

My current girlfriend is 5' and around 100#.

Not even my Carbon-15 is/was easy for either to handle...

Any suggestions?

Oh! And BOTH are left-eye dominant - right handed!

Thanks!
View Quote

So I will follow this thread.  I can say she likes my G43 most so far, but it's got recoil.  I will try to get a G42 in her hands.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I put together a pinned 14.5" AR in the 6lb range (with optic and light) for a 5'3" ex and she survived a Magpul class with it.  However, she is a climber, so she has decent arm strength.

Now she's engaged to a hippie who doesn't want it in the house, and I'm waiting to give her a lowball offer to buy it back when he pushes the issue . It's a nice carbine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Situational Awareness:

1. Perps like to target women who are loading/unloading groceries from their vehicle.  I taught her to use the windows of her vehicle like a mirror so she can see what's behind her.  But also, to always be scanning for possible threats.
2. Once, she was alone loading groceries when a homeless guy began walking directly toward her.  She immediately stopped and went into her vehicle.  I taught her to drive over/into any threats if need be.  Whether she would do this or not in real life, I have no idea.
  Homeless guy knew he had been outed and pretended he was just passing by.  
View Quote

After watching Charlotte I reminded her she may have to make the choice to risk harming someone who's trying to get her to stop and/or exit her vehicle.  There is a lot of resistance to this, and I'm guessing more women struggle with this idea than men--

especially if you remember watching Reginald Denny live.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Nobody arms me.  I've been arming myself now for almost 20 years.
Glock 19, 23, and 26.  I've been considering a Shield.  Realistically though, I need all the rounds I can get since I'm in Memphis almost every day.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Physical fitness, situational awareness and a Ruger P-22.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Exclusively with halberds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife likes the XM177, but she prefers a bolt action since she can kill shit out to 500 yards with it.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sig p238
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Their eye dominance is the only thing that matters. If they don't know how to shoot, who cares what hand they write with?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Walther PK380 is her preferred.  

Glock 27 usually rides full time in the driver door panel of her ride.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I told you about my 15 yo daughter.  My 23 yo daughter has a semi-auto 20 gauge and a .38, Wifey rocks a 30 Carbine loaded with soft points and a Security Six .357 loaded with 125 grain HP.
She also has access and training to the several ARs laying about. She knows, and is good with, my Beretta 92SB (Italian made).  She has no clue how to use the shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I arm myself. A basic AR with an adjustable stock is fine, and I'm 4'11". She just has to get used to handling it and get comfortable with it. A lot of the "I can't handle this" is usually more "I'm unfamiliar with this and am psyching myself out."
View Quote

Im gonna go with this. Of the 2 women ive taken shooting they both preferred pistols over rifles because they felt "too big". One is 5'3" the other 4'11"
The rifle in question for both was a Mini-14.

Ive shot with a number of women (under 5'5") who have no qualms handling 30-06, 300WSM, .270 rifles (not carbine length)

What should you arm them with if an AR carbine is too unweildy? Either give them a bipod or a SBR. Or perhaps a PCSBR.

That being said- even I dont do much offhand shooting. Im either proned out or up against a rest of some sort.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Shield 9.

/thread
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:   Shield 9.

/thread
View Quote

Have you ever watched a series of women trying to rack slides of short bbl'd 9s?  B/c about 1/3 to 1/2 can't.  The Shield is a nice pistol, but it's hardly God's gift to women.  It doesn't even have an ambidextrous safety, which the lefties sometimes demand.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Have her take a class from a reputable instructor who can show her multiple different models of handguns.  Having a husband or boyfriend teach them frequently doesn't work well.  I spent time on the range today with a female friend who's prior experience was her (soon-to-be-ex) husband yelling at her and insisting that she needed to start with a .38 revolver.  My wife let her pick which handguns she thought felt good from our safe, we had a brief class on functions and safety rules, then the three of us went to the range, and she had a great time shooting at least five different handguns, all but one in 9mm (the other being a .380).  In a couple of weeks, we'll probably do it again.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top