Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2016 4:12:51 PM EDT
Side business is ready to get a website.  They offer a service for $1500 where they build it and give you 6 changes in the first year plus a month service fee.  

I'm leaning toward this because they set the credit card payment system.  

Any experience good or bad?  Any other options i should look into?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of website do you need?

I personally wouldn't build or host anything with them.

I build websites, so my opinion is sometimes more negative on sites than others might have.  I haven't seen anything current built by them, but I am never impressed with older sites I see with their logo on it.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't.  Just don't.  Check out something like Squarespace - depending on what kind of retail setup you need.  But there are far better options that Go Daddy.  Even fumble your way through Word Press and just find a host.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I build websites, so my opinion is sometimes more negative on sites than others might have.  I haven't seen anything current built by them, but I am never impressed with older sites I see with their logo on it.  
View Quote

Just looking for a clean, simple site about what we do and where orders can be placed for me to dropship rental equipment.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd look up Wordpress for making a site.  
Godaddy sucks.

I use www.Namecheap.com to register domains and www.digitalocean.com for hosting.

I'm actual using Django which is a Python framework for building websites but it's pretty complicated.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife has had her own business doing websites and design work for over 20 years now and can help if you have questions, but there is nobody I would pay $1500 a year to do that work,  Drop me an IM or PM if you have questions and I will pass it on to her.

By the way, she owns her own servers as well so does offer hosting as well
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife has had her own business doing websites and design work for over 20 years now and can help if you have questions, but there is nobody I would pay $1500 a year to do that work,  Drop me an IM if you have questions and I will pass it on to her.
View Quote

I agree, that seems very expensive to me.  It depends, how much content will your website have?  Does it need updated often?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I would say WordPress is what you're looking for. Worst case, hire a developer to make the site, then give it to a hosting company. FYI I work for a hosting company, but GoDaddy absolutely blows in every way shape or form. If you want to talk about hosting options, send me a PM.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just looking for a clean, simple site about what we do and where orders can be placed for me to dropship rental equipment.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I currently am focusing on Shopify (ecommerce websites) but have built a lot with wordpress for projects that aren't ecommerce.  

I'm not sure if you are considering doing it on your own, but I have seen a lot of nicely made squarespace sites, and I think those are a little easier to setup than trying to do everything your first time on wordpress.

You might be able to find someone locally to do it for that price, but its probably a little low if you are in a large area.  

If you don't find anything locally, or want to talk about options I can help you out.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]

It's a great deal if you aren't really concerned about things like "Is my website reachable?" and "If I call for support, will they help me or just blame my problems on not paying more for the next tier of service?"

I may or may not have worked there, but I can tell you that the "support" part of the company is primarily build around upselling you and that all of the infrastructure is built around "run every single bit to redline until the customer complaints are too hard to ignore and then scramble to try and bandaid a fix that will last long enough to post this quarter's profits and shift all new growth to a new location so that the bleeding continues but new customers aren't impacted and eventually attrition in the old space will balance out with new growth!"

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to Guru and get a site built in wordpress.

Take it to Media Temple and host it.

Problem solved!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Spend an afternoon and on Lynda.com or CreativeLive.com and build something yourself. for 1/10 the price.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go to Guru and get a site built in wordpress.

Take it to Media Temple and host it.

Problem solved!
View Quote

Dear buttery Jesus, don't do this.  MT was a hosting company with a very customer-centric focus.  GD bought them and immediately started trying to figure out how they could capitalize on the name and strip out the "unfriendly" SLA (service level agreement)

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I agree, that seems very expensive to me.  It depends, how much content will your website have?  Does it need updated often?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife has had her own business doing websites and design work for over 20 years now and can help if you have questions, but there is nobody I would pay $1500 a year to do that work,  Drop me an IM if you have questions and I will pass it on to her.

1500 is cheap for a quality website.  The problem is, godaddy would not provide a quality website.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have GoDaddy for our website. A member here actually designed it and put it up for me (he was starting out and needed some for his portfolio.)

I make small changes here and there, like changes of hours etc. I fumble my way through it.

As far as putting up pages or making major changes, it's not very user friendly.

I would like to know how the whole domain name thing works. I know they host but I'm not sure who own

the domain? I think I pay them, What if I want to change hosts?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't use anything associated with Godaddy. Sleazy company.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Most hosting companies, GoDaddy included, offer various shopping programs for free.  You can try them all.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
i started messing with myshopify.com  but never went back to finish it.
It gave me 2 weeks trial to set it up and see how it would look. Had a couple recommendations for the site think it starts at $29 a month.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have GoDaddy for our website. A member here actually designed it and put it up for me (he was starting out and needed some for his portfolio.)

I make small changes here and there, like changes of hours etc. I fumble my way through it.

As far as putting up pages or making major changes, it's not very user friendly.

I would like to know how the whole domain name thing works. I know they host but I'm not sure who own

View Quote
I can't say for sure, but you almost certainly own the domain.  And with minimal work, can point the DNS to a different host.  

http://whois.domaintools.com/

Is a tool you can check ownership info.  If you have the registration private, it will still show either godaddy  or one of their subsidiaries.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You "own" it, but not really because if you don't pay the yearly fee on it, they will deactivate it and it will at sometime in the future become available again, so in reality, you lease it, as long as you renew you get to keep it with the rights to it.

As far as hosting, you can take it anywhere that offers hosting service, and you can also change the registar on the name, so if you register it with GD and decide you don't like them, you can move it to another company that registers domain names.

But again as long as you pay the renew fee, then you own the rights to the name, the registar does not hold any rights to it.  They are simply a catalog company, they maintain a database of domain names registered through them or one of their affiliates and provide that information to Icann

I just asked my wife and she does a good amount of her websites in Joomla and also will do a Word press, she likes Joomla and is well versed in it as well as teaching others how to use it, it has some nice eCommerce solution's that can be used with it as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

i started messing with myshopify.com  but never went back to finish it.

It gave me 2 weeks trial to set it up and see how it would look. Had a couple recommendations for the site think it starts at $29 a month.  
View Quote
I like shopify a lot, and am focusing more on clients that are in need of their ecommerce platform.  That being said, it doesn't sound like that is what OP really needs.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I use their Quick Shopping Cart for my side business. I'd have to double check, but IIRC, it & a couple domains run me about $250 a year. It's basic & the builder sucks, but for now it's getting me by. When/if I decide to grow, I'll drop them & probably pay someone to build/operate a better site for me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I use GoDaddy as my registrar, but not as my host.

Right now I use HostGator and GreenGeeks for actual hosting. Hostgator is a huge company and would probably do okay. It seems pretty popular, anyway.

GoDaddy seems fine as a REGISTRAR ONLY. I don't do much there other than buy new domain names, and occasionally log into my account to change the host nameservers (so the domain will point to whatever host I choose—which right now means HostGator and GreenGeeks). So far, not really any issues with my domains being registered there.

I agree with the others; do not pay GoDaddy anything for making a site. $1500 is way too much for whatever template-derived crap they will provide you. Go with WordPress (install WordPress on your site—most hosts' control panels have an easy way to do this). WordPress can be customized to look very professional, not "bloggy" at all.

Then learn how your site is backed up, and make sure that you know what to do if your site goes offline (or is switched to a different host). All your website content is being created online, and you need to have a backup copy so if you migrate to another service, or if (heaven forbid) your site is hacked, you know you can restore it to its original state.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You "own" it, but not really because if you don't pay the yearly fee on it, they will deactivate it and it will at sometime in the future become available again, so in reality, you lease it, as long as you renew you get to keep it with the rights to it.

As far as hosting, you can take it anywhere that offers hosting service, and you can also change the registar on the name, so if you register it with GD and decide you don't like them, you can move it to another company that registers domain names.

But again as long as you pay the renew fee, then you own the rights to the name, the registar does not hold any rights to it.  They are simply a catalog company, they maintain a database of domain names registered through them or one of their affiliates and provide that information to Icann

I just asked my wife and she does a good amount of her websites in Joomla and also will do a Word press, she likes Joomla and is well versed in it as well as teaching others how to use it, it has some nice eCommerce solution's that can be used with it as well.
View Quote

Breaking news, you have to pay for things to 'own' them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More breaking news, yes, you have to pay for them to own them, except in the case of a domain name, if you don't pay the yearly fee, you don't own it anymore, they will deactivate and put it back on the market to be registered again and the next person that pays for it will "Own" it!  Domain names have to be renewed every year!  Also, the longest period of time you can pay for a domain name is 10 years at the end of that 10 years you will have to renew it, so it is a lease that you make yearly payments on, not like a car, where you make payments and then own lock stock and barrel when you are done paying.  You are never done paying for a domain name.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Use Squarespace. Do it yourself.

Seriously. Spend a week or so watching vids if you need to. It's stupid easy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Right now I use HostGator and GreenGeeks for actual hosting. Hostgator is a huge company and would probably do okay. It seems pretty popular, anyway.

GoDaddy seems fine as a REGISTRAR ONLY. I don't do much there other than buy new domain names, and occasionally log into my account to change the host nameservers (so the domain will point to whatever host I choose—which right now means HostGator and GreenGeeks). So far, not really any issues with my domains being registered there.

I agree with the others; do not pay GoDaddy anything for making a site. $1500 is way too much for whatever template-derived crap they will provide you. Go with WordPress (install WordPress on your site—most hosts' control panels have an easy way to do this). WordPress can be customized to look very professional, not "bloggy" at all.

Then learn how your site is backed up, and make sure that you know what to do if your site goes offline (or is switched to a different host). All your website content is being created online, and you need to have a backup copy so if you migrate to another service, or if (heaven forbid) your site is hacked, you know you can restore it to its original state.
View Quote

I love HostGator. Their Texas office was right down the road from me when I was in Houston.

They are not, however, a *huge* company. Which, honestly, is part of their draw.

Their pricing, customer service and product level diversity are awesome though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I love HostGator. Their Texas office was right down the road from me when I was in Houston.

They are not, however, a *huge* company. Which, honestly, is part of their draw.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are awesome.  They were actually a reseller for another hosting company until they got big enough that a divorce had to be arranged.

Houston is tough for a hosting company though.  No connectivity.  You've got to haul everything up into Dallas where all the big pipes land unless you're doing lightweight circuits like oil and gas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They are awesome.  They were actually a reseller for another hosting company until they got big enough that a divorce had to be arranged.

Houston is tough for a hosting company though.  No connectivity.  You've got to haul everything up into Dallas where all the big pipes land unless you're doing lightweight circuits like oil and gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT'S the fucking truth.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

More breaking news, yes, you have to pay for them to own them, except in the case of a domain name, if you don't pay the yearly fee, you don't own it anymore, they will deactivate and put it back on the market to be registered again and the next person that pays for it will "Own" it!  Domain names have to be renewed every year!  Also, the longest period of time you can pay for a domain name is 10 years at the end of that 10 years you will have to renew it, so it is a lease that you make yearly payments on, not like a car, where you make payments and then own lock stock and barrel when you are done paying.  You are never done paying for a domain name.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that went over your head.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, as I've mentioned before, such a rich hiring field right now and holy shit I love my Houston guys.  Heading there tmr to spend a week with my H-Town peeps.  If there was any backbone or core infrastructure there, I would have had a hard time picking between there and Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But, as I've mentioned before, such a rich hiring field right now and holy shit I love my Houston guys.  Heading there tmr to spend a week with my H-Town peeps.  If there was any backbone or core infrastructure there, I would have had a hard time picking between there and Dallas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I just left H-Town for the IT wasteland of the RGV.

My flag is firmly planted though. I'm going to make a fortune dragging the valley into the 21st century.

There's soooo much money here and NONE of it is going to geeks and nerds. I honestly project a retirement level income from my business in the next 6-8 years.

Houston was just too fucking saturated to make a buck, unless you were getting paid by someone else to make it for them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My flag is firmly planted though. I'm going to make a fortune dragging the valley into the 21st century.

There's soooo much money here and NONE of it is going to geeks and nerds. I honestly project a retirement level income from my business in the next 6-8 years.

Houston was just too fucking saturated to make a buck, unless you were getting paid by someone else to make it for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck man.  I've shaken my head more than once about Texas refusal to adopt new stuff.  All that Central and South American connectivity that lands in MIA should have landed in Texas first, swung up to Austin, then Dallas and then easily east and west.  Missed opportunities.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good luck man.  I've shaken my head more than once about Texas refusal to adopt new stuff.  All that Central and South American connectivity that lands in MIA should have landed in Texas first, swung up to Austin, then Dallas and then easily east and west.  Missed opportunities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My largest barrier to the deep pockets here is going to be my shitty Spanish.

I suspect that'll be rectified in the next 6-8 months, though. There's genuinely no reason to speak English in the Valley. I mean, you don't *have* to know Spanish to get what you need but, you aren't going to get what you *want* in English, if you take my meaning.

Ultimately, I'm looking at medical, SMB retail and industrial clients. Most of them know they are way behind the times, they just don't have the local resources to get them up to speed. That's where I am coming in.

So far, it's going better than I expected. I should be hiring again in a few months.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might have, don't be so vague next time.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Use Squarespace. Do it yourself.

Seriously. Spend a week or so watching vids if you need to. It's stupid easy.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip,  looks fairly simple even for a guy like me who is mildly computer tarded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top