Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Am I in before "Only Osiris or Anubis can determine when someone should die"?
View Quote

That's stupid.

Only Ereshkigal or Nergal can determine that.  Take your new-school upstart "Gods" and GTFO.

Gods my ass.  More like personifications of natural phenomena created by a bunch of pagans!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's stupid.

Only Ereshkigal or Nergal can determine that.  Take your new-school upstart "Gods" and GTFO.

Gods my ass.  More like personifications of natural phenomena created by a bunch of pagans!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I in before "Only Osiris or Anubis can determine when someone should die"?

That's stupid.

Shit.

You got me ......... I had to look up both of those.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull the damn plug.  She was brain dead with no hope of recovery.  There was quite literally nobody home inside that head of hers.  I don't even understand the religious objection in such cases.  You're literally keeping an empty shell alive.  Her soul/spirit/energy/etc had clearly already moved on.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got it.  I agree with this definition, but there's just some haziness around some of the edge cases.  For instance, would a nursing mother's breasts be considered life support for an infant, or would the entire mother count as life support due to her role in cleaning and clothing the baby?  Regardless, this definition lends new clarify to a lot of things.  When the Spartans left an infant to die on a hillside, they weren't committing infanticide--they were just taking it off life support!

I actually understand the distinction you're trying to make, but if the only way to apply a term is by defining it in a way that makes it useless, then the term isn't applicable.
View Quote

Don't overthink this.  If the only reason you are alive is the constant efforts of doctors and the equipment attached to you then you are on life support.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean you should have the plug pulled on you, but when you are in a persistent vegetative state due to brain death and therefore have zero chance to regain consciousness the answer for me and mine is pretty simple.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ten years ago my mother, age 76 at the time, had a heart attack and stroke and was, as per the doctors, brain dead.  She lingered on with wires
and tubes keeping her alive.  No brain activity.

<snip>

Someone tapped me on the shoulder, I jumped 3' off the floor.  It was an ICU nurse.  "You mother came to last night and we moved her to a regular
room."  Yes, my mother woke up, had brain activity, and after removing the tube was breathing on her own, and could speak a little, though her throat
was sore.  Less than a week later she was home and soon was driving herself to physical therapy.

We've had her with us now for 10 years.  She's nearly 87 now, and has seen her grandkids graduate from school, seen some married, has held and
fawned over great-grandchildren, and every day has been a blessing for the family.

When the Terry Shiavo thing was going on I thought I knew what was what.  Let her husband go on and unplug her, poor thing.  She's already gone.  
But I now know that it is not my decision.  Faced with the same situation again I don't think I'd be able to unplug the person and let them go.  Not my
decision.  I can't do it.

And every time I think of how close I was to doing this a shiver runs down my spine.
View Quote

Wow.  Damn, dude.

I will say, I've rarely seen a more lopsided poll.  When my father was ailing, my oldest brother asked him (I wasn't there) if he wanted life support.  He shook his head no.  My mother changed her power of attorney from my second-oldest brother, a fundie, to me, b/c she knew I wouldn't leave her there to suffer.

Just hope I'm not tapped to make that call.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I signed and have a DNR statement on file with my dr.  

I figure, when it's time it's time....

View Quote
Be careful with that.  Here in Texas a DNR will tell the hospital to kill you over entirely curable shit.  I have a case now where the hospital let a lady die from pneumonia over a DNR.  What you really want is someone you trust with a medical power of attorney.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Told my fiancé pull that f-ing plug or when I die I will haunt her ass.
View Quote

Told my wife don't even plug me in. If I don't get connected nobody has to make the call when to turn it off. I'm torn on the Schaivo case, didn't read much in terms of details, other than one article mentioning her mouthing "I want to live"-don't know if that was early on or in a lucid moment near the end, but I'm a firm believer in the right to die-we all have the right to live, but we shouldn't be forced to prolong pain. Allowed, sure, for those who want machines, fine.-I hate to cast blame on the dead, but I agree she should have had a living will, would have saved a lot of arguing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
We pulled the plug on my dad and his brain was undamaged.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ten years ago my mother, age 76 at the time, had a heart attack and stroke and was, as per the doctors, brain dead.  She lingered on with wires

After three weeks of no sign of change, on Friday night we had a meeting at the hospital with her three doctors, the head ICU nurse, another
nurse that attended her, a "patient advocate" from the hospital.  My father, my three siblings and I, and our spouses also attended.  I had kept
the originals of Mom and Dad's Living Wills in my safe at home, and the hospital already had a copy on file.  I made copies for everyone, passed
them around, and they all read along as I read the original so that we all knew we had accurate copies.  It was plainly stated that she did not
want to be kept alive on machines, and that if she ever got to that condition, to unplug her and let her go.  My parents were both medical
professionals and fully understood all that entailed.

It was decided, and all agreed, that we would unplug her the following Monday morning.  Dad came to me after saying he just couldn't do it, and
asked that I be there to do it.  I am the one in the family that was always assigned the dirty work, take out the trash, pick up the roadkill skunk in
front of the house, the stuff nobody else would do, so once again a dirty deed fell to me to take care of.

I walked into her room in ICU at the designated time, 08:00 Monday morning, and the room was empty.  Bed stripped, room cleaned up, floor looked
to be freshly waxed.  I stood there and thanked God for taking my mother during the night so I didn't have to carry the burden of killing my mother, or
rather, give the order to do so.  And nobody bothered to call me saying she was gone.  I had driven in from out of town.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder, I jumped 3' off the floor.  It was an ICU nurse.  "You mother came to last night and we moved her to a regular
room."  Yes, my mother woke up, had brain activity, and after removing the tube was breathing on her own, and could speak a little, though her throat
was sore.  Less than a week later she was home and soon was driving herself to physical therapy.

We've had her with us now for 10 years.  She's nearly 87 now, and has seen her grandkids graduate from school, seen some married, has held and
fawned over great-grandchildren, and every day has been a blessing for the family.

When the Terry Shiavo thing was going on I thought I knew what was what.  Let her husband go on and unplug her, poor thing.  She's already gone.  
But I now know that it is not my decision.  Faced with the same situation again I don't think I'd be able to unplug the person and let them go.  Not my

And every time I think of how close I was to doing this a shiver runs down my spine.
View Quote

there's always going to be someone at the very tip of the bell curve

there's going to be a tiny number of people who take an aspirin and it does literally nothing for them.   so do you say that aspirin doesn't work and stop making it?

you can't treat every strange case like it's average and vice versa

terry's parents were having delusions that their daughter was trying to communicate with them when the brain scans showed her brain was turning to jello

they would have had her in that bed until she was 99 years old

it's hard but when the brain is ruined then it's time to go

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pull the damn plug.  She was brain dead with no hope of recovery.  There was quite literally nobody home inside that head of hers.  I don't even understand the religious objection in such cases.  You're literally keeping an empty shell alive.  Her soul/spirit/energy/etc had clearly already moved on.
View Quote

Im not very familiar with the case, but if she was actually brain dead then yeah she's not even alive. I thought no activity in the brain or brain stem meant a person was actually legally dead. A machine keeping organs alive and blood pumping isnt life.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
President Bush really pissed me off when he got involved in that.

And schiavo's parents were totally out-to-lunch on her condition and prognosis.  I challenge anybody with any medical training to find (and read) the Guardian Ad Litem report on that case.  Look at the literature her parents cited as proof that she wasn't in a permanent vegetative state.  It cited all sorts of voodoo bullsh*t like "vasodilation therapy" as a basis to claim she could get better.  It was totally ludicrous.

She should have been allowed to die without all that media circus.
View Quote

Did you see when South Park did this?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The parents had no standing.  It should have been a non-issue.
View Quote

+1

I've done this many times as a doc.  DPOA or, if none, next of kin.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

President Bush really pissed me off when he got involved in that.

And schiavo's parents were totally out-to-lunch on her condition and prognosis.  I challenge anybody with any medical training to find (and read) the Guardian Ad Litem report on that case.  Look at the literature her parents cited as proof that she wasn't in a permanent vegetative state.  It cited all sorts of voodoo bullsh*t like "vasodilation therapy" as a basis to claim she could get better.  It was totally ludicrous.

She should have been allowed to die without all that media circus.
View Quote
She was already dead. Her body just didn't know it yet

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]
If I recall her parents got between the rights of the husband to make medical decisions for her.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No brain activity and the machine was keeping her alive for years, he made the right call.
View Quote

This, she died long before the pulled the plug.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Her husband was an abusive scumbag out for money
View Quote

This. Also he already was shacked up with someone else and wanted her dead. There is more to the story
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I've said this for a loooong time, there are far worse things than dying.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#19]
This. Also he already was shacked up with someone else and wanted her dead. There is more to the story
View Quote

Of course he wanted her to die.  If I were in her shape, I would have wanted to die, too...and I damn sure wouldn't want to become an absolute drain (financially or emotionally) on my family.  I would most certainly want my widow out there moving on and enjoying her life, not watching me slowly decompose in a bed day by day.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#20]
At the time I thought her parents were right.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]
People die, it's what we do.

Give them a few weeks to recover; if they don't, hey, see ya on the other side hoss.

I expect it done to me if I ever get in that way, as does my entire family.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Her husband was an abusive scumbag out for money

She was already dead in a conventional sense.  She had no brain activity for years and machines were keeping her body alive.  That's hardly what I would call 'life'.
What's wrong with him moving on and finding somebody else anyway?  Was he supposed to just never love again out of respect for the vegetable in the hospital bed being kept alive by feeding tubes and such?

I'll put this quite simply.  Terri was less alive than a freaking houseplant.  At least the houseplant doesn't need machines to keep it alive.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Pull the plug. For the record I'm a practicing Mormon and believe in the right to life, killing a baby, in utero or out is bad.

But that woman wasn't alive, even if she was semi conscious, that's not living.

We are eternal beings, we live forever, but her body had failed her, let her go. Keeping someone alive like that, is torture
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Technically, she wasn't on "Life Support".  She could breath and had a heart beat on her own but she could not move or feed herself.  They removed her nutrition tube and she probably died hunger.  But they did x-rays of her head and found almost no brain so she would only be able to vote as a Democrat.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's just say that I've been involved in telling them to "pull the plug". It was probably that hardest thing I've ever done, however, not keeping my word was not an option.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#27]
If I am living on a machine in a vegetative state will someone please pull the plug for me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At the time I thought her parents were right.
View Quote

That's how I remember it being explained in a Republican (not necessarily conservative) household.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#29]
She was already dead.  
When we pull an organ for a donor, and transport it across the country, that organ is still "alive", does that mean the donor is still alive even though the brain, and other body functions are inop?

Plus, who was paying to keep the machines running?  I bet it wasn't the parents..
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Told my wife don't even plug me in. If I don't get connected nobody has to make the call when to turn it off. I'm torn on the Schaivo case, didn't read much in terms of details, other than one article mentioning her mouthing "I want to live"-don't know if that was early on or in a lucid moment near the end, but I'm a firm believer in the right to die-we all have the right to live, but we shouldn't be forced to prolong pain. Allowed, sure, for those who want machines, fine.-I hate to cast blame on the dead, but I agree she should have had a living will, would have saved a lot of arguing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Told my fiancé pull that f-ing plug or when I die I will haunt her ass.

Considering half her brain was gone and the what was left was seriously damaged according to the autopsy, that is highly unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wow.  Damn, dude.

I will say, I've rarely seen a more lopsided poll.  When my father was ailing, my oldest brother asked him (I wasn't there) if he wanted life support.  He shook his head no.  My mother changed her power of attorney from my second-oldest brother, a fundie, to me, b/c she knew I wouldn't leave her there to suffer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Wow.  Damn, dude.

It is actually your mother's call.  I do hope none of us are put in that position but it happens.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#33]
It wasn't really 'pulling the plug' - it was death by starvation/dehydration, which is an inhumane way to end a life.  Her parents offered to take her, no strings attached, and her husband refused.  There is more to that whole story than we really know.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The parents had no standing.  It should have been a non-issue.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If I recall her parents got between the rights of the husband to make medical decisions for her.
View Quote

The state of fucking florida got between the husband and his decision.

Bush jumping into that mess was one of the more disappointing things I've seen a politician do.

That call was the husband's and the husband's alone to make.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#36]
The GOP shit the bed.  

Morons.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Whats all this about the husband abusing her or causing it?  From what I'vw read there was no injuries to her when she was admitted after the cardiac arrest.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Whats all this about the husband abusing her or causing it?  From what I'vw read there was no injuries to her when she was admitted after the cardiac arrest.
View Quote

Pretty sure it's just people vilifying the husband because he did something they don't agree with.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's for people who are adamantly against "pulling the plug" but have nothing but feels to back it.

They pretend there's more to the case so they can sit around and jerk off thinking about a drooling vegetable  they might have "saved".
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#40]
i have dnr tattooed on my ass and face.,
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Pretty sure it's just people vilifying the husband because he did something they don't agree with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

seems redundant
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Everyone dies. The only question is when.

I AMD is clear: if my representative fails to pull the plug in a timely manner, they inherit nothing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Schaivo is a bad case for your question.  I'm convinced her husband tried to kill her initially and she survived.  He was then able to get a judge to finish the deed.

Schaivo was not on "life support"  she was on a feeding tube.

She was murdered, essentially died of thirst.

View Quote

Of course, you have a real source for the whole "attempted murder" thing, right?  

And how is a feeding tube not "life support"?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

seems redundant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

seems redundant

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
She wasn't on life support.  They didn't pull the plug and let her body die; they removed a feeding tube and starved her to death.
View Quote

This.

I love all the self-proclaimed experts in here. "Just let me go," "Pull the plug!" I wish any of you saw what I see every day. This is not a black and white issue. Its not as simple as "do everything.. then when it doesn't work, pull the plug." When your family comes in yelling and screaming to do everything, very often we can get you stabilized. Stabilized meaning: heart still beating, blood pressure reasonable, oxygen saturation sufficient enough to sustain life. I have seen people take days to weeks to months to wake up.. and wake up they did. Also, I have seen people take days to weeks to months to slowly die.. and die they did. There is no magical time for and solo life sustaining switch we can flip off when your family decides "he told me he didn't want to live like this."

While I do wish more families had realistic expectations and understands of their loved ones' diagnosis/prognosis.. I have seen some absolutely incredible and shocking recoveries.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

ask her.  

what you really mean is "who would want to care for a person in that condition? not me."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who would want to live in that condition?  Pulling the plug was the right call.  
ask her.  

what you really mean is "who would want to care for a person in that condition? not me."

She's a vegetable.   How can you ask her?  Also, who would want to live trapped in a body that can't move, can't talk, can't communicate?  You'd go insane.  I can think of few worse tortures.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top