Quoted:
never change arfcom! BFF foreva!
-trickypierre
Hitlerverse High class of '05
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
So what you're saying is you fudd the shit out of your ARs and conclude it's something to do with the gun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your not the only one....but my OP was kinda to that point. So many of us grew up with real experience shooting quick and moving critters, and a shotgun was the only possible choice. Hell, I shot a triple on woodcock one afternoon. Could I do that with an AR? Not likely. But the point of my post was that I (me, personally, don't care if someone disagrees) clung to that experience in debating AR vs shotgun. It's misapplied experience....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every time I read these threads, I wonder how I was the only "kid that grew up in the country shooting shotguns all the time" that was able to learn how to be proficient with an AR15.

Maybe it's my superpower.

Your not the only one....but my OP was kinda to that point. So many of us grew up with real experience shooting quick and moving critters, and a shotgun was the only possible choice. Hell, I shot a triple on woodcock one afternoon. Could I do that with an AR? Not likely. But the point of my post was that I (me, personally, don't care if someone disagrees) clung to that experience in debating AR vs shotgun. It's misapplied experience....

I once hit a triple on Brant with a sxs. Try doing that with 2 rounds from an AR
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I once hit a triple on Brant with a sxs. Try doing that with 2 rounds from an AR
View Quote

therein lies the "cant miss" fallacy of shotgun bitterclingers. add in some "grandpaw" and "gunstore wiki" = portal open
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Every time I read these threads, I wonder how I was the only "kid that grew up in the country shooting shotguns all the time" that was able to learn how to be proficient with an AR15.

View Quote
No kidding. I've even shot matches with an AR that has a moving target. You have to put 5 rounds in it as it moves and before it disappears. Somehow everyone seemed to be able to do it. Guess we were a bunch of rifle gods!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No kidding. I've even shot matches with an AR that has a moving target. You have to put 5 rounds in it as it moves and before it disappears. Somehow everyone seemed to be able to do it. Guess we were a bunch of rifle gods!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stage 2 of the SMMMG in 2013.  Toughest rifle stage I've ever shot that didn't have a target outside of CQB distance.  Airplane simulation stage, unbuckle and engage clays perched on "shoulders" of no-shoot (penalty) targets.  Then 4 more on swingers with no-shoots everywhere.  I was slow as balls, but I shot it clean.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit, my Dad was a "Hi brass turkey load" for HD guy. I rose above it too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OO buck and slugs is my home defense load of choice. Slugs will reach out to 100 yards and they make big holes. I personally see no need for a AR for home defense unless you are preparing for a mass mob attack. I think the over penetration and collateral damage possibilities with a center fire rifle are unacceptable unless your closest neighbor is a half a mile away.
View Quote

Lol prefers slugs but worried about over penetration
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do they make these for the AR?
If not, shotgun still rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxmKFld5DA
View Quote

It looks like the paper target was left pretty much unscathed by that gimmicky nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seriously?

Don't be that guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shotguns work very well at short ranges; better than ARs.

False.

Properly selected shotgun shells perform better than 5.56 at close ranges.  But the guns that shoot them just aren't as good for fighting as are quality autoloading rifles.

Seriously?

Don't be that guy.

He doesn't have to, you already are.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the Dems take over.....

Your ARs will be.....gone.
Your hi-cap magazines will be.....gone.
Your semi-auto firearms will be......gone.
Your sniper/bolt actions will be.....gone.
Your SG will probably be way down on the list.  Besides, Uncle Joe likes SGs.

LOL.   When you think about it......

Your freedoms will be.......GONE.  

So, vote correctly.

Aloha, Mark

It's rather odd that "Aloha, Mark" is the least silly part of that comment.

My guns do not vanish in a cloud of steel, iron, and wood vapor just because Democrats get in (more) power.  

He's right that voting non-Democrat is voting correctly- to which I'll reply: well, DUH.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Here we go again.

http://i.imgur.com/T45O5UO.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm an AR fanatic.  An AR will do the job in home defense, for sure.  Personally, I use a pistol grip Mossy 500.
View Quote

Word
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:48:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Yup, a lifetime of "shotguns are better for shooting fast moving things, rifles are slow and steady not moving things" throws a LOT of people for a curve in the shotguns for HD threads.  Some weird false equivalence is made, mixed with a lot of projection.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:54:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I guess all those police officers that carried them all those decades were defenseless. Every time I read these posts about the shotgun being good for nothing but birds I know I'm reading the opinion of someone who has never spent much time with one or has no real life experience with one and is just repeating what they have read on forums. I need to spend less time on the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A) shotguns are super lame

I guess all those police officers that carried them all those decades were defenseless. Every time I read these posts about the shotgun being good for nothing but birds I know I'm reading the opinion of someone who has never spent much time with one or has no real life experience with one and is just repeating what they have read on forums. I need to spend less time on the internet.
Yarrr, we got ourselves a live one!

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:00:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Using the phrase "clicked in my head" may not be your best choice of phrase when talking about guns.

Just sayin'.

View Quote

"...Put a pistol to his head and told that ni**a to have a blast..."
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A) shotguns are super lame

They also carried six shot .38 Specials.

When the choice.was a shotgun and a S&W or nothing else. I'd carry what they did. But times change and so does technology and tactics. Today a G17 and a AR is a much better choice. Surex the shotgun started life as a Fowl piece for wealthy Europeans. Yup, it went from that to the commoners' gun and was the common gun used to tame and settle America. But the AR is better for Seld Defense.

I love shotguns, I have over 20 of the fuckers. Ranging from hunting, sport, to self defense. I carried one on duty as a cop. I can tell you that the agency I worked for didn't allow us to have ARs because it was "scary" in appearance.

Is a.shotgun useless? No... it will kill as well as the day it was designed. Just like a 1860 Colt Cap 'N Ball Revolver or a 1911. Both are outdated and have better replacements but they will still kill a man.

I even keep shotguns around. But my primary is an AR.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've never shot a clay round that kicked like buckshot.
Never saw anyone shoot at clays with buckshot and hit anything.  
So his argument is tarded...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say use whatever you want, but the idea that it's too hard to make fast follow up shots with a shotgun is silly. Go shoot  double clays.

You shoot clays with buckshot?

You realize an ounce of shot is an ounce of shot right? If the velocity is equal shot size doesn't matter.

I've never shot a clay round that kicked like buckshot.
Never saw anyone shoot at clays with buckshot and hit anything.  
So his argument is tarded...

An how many shooters have you seen shot a clean round of all 25 with an AR?

The shotgun is a specialized weapon with some strength and trade off weakness (just like a pistol, AR, AK, "Battle Rifle" or a .50 BMG.

For fast targets at close distances, it still beats an AR / AK

The Terminal Energy of Proper Buckshot at close quarters is MOST likely to stop a fight fastest Right Then and There.

I don't want to have to shoot Lootie twice or thrice, I'd just go with One & Done to allow me to get to next target.

Don't get me wrong - the AR is the best General Purpose firearm out there, but each of the others has a specialty where it does "better" than the AR.  Hunting & Energy, go to the "Battle Rifle".   Extreme Range or hard target penetration, go .50 BMG.  One hand use and concealed = a handgun.

I have a lot of ARs, AKs, Battle Rifles, and handguns.  But if I hear glass breaking at oh dark thirty, I'm picking up the Rem 870 Police Magnum with a surefire light on it next to my bed.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For fast targets at close distances, it still beats an AR / AK

View Quote

If those targets are clay pigeons, or squirrels, or little steel plates, sure.  But if they're humans trying to hurt people the rifle is the better tool.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are we already doing this again
View Quote

Don't you hate when we talk about guns on this gun website?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Who are these "experts"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm willing to bet that all the shotgun tards are the same tards that poo poo all over attending training courses.

Training will help you overcome your deficiencies with your weapon.

The fact that many here would choose an inferior weapon over training with a superior weapon speaks of their arrogance.

The AR-15 is superior in nearly every way to a shotgun for home defense purposes.

Says you.

Other experts disagree.

Who are these "experts"?

Military units all over the world who use them for close-quarter defensive combat.

Same principles apply to the home.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Military units all over the world who use them for close-quarter defensive combat.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet that all the shotgun tards are the same tards that poo poo all over attending training courses.

The fact that many here would choose an inferior weapon over training with a superior weapon speaks of their arrogance.

The AR-15 is superior in nearly every way to a shotgun for home defense purposes.

Says you.

Other experts disagree.

Who are these "experts"?

lol
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says you.

Other experts disagree.

Who are these "experts"?

OBL was really killed by #6 shot... that's why they never showed us the body.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Alright I'm sold on the shotgun concept.

I store it with the hammer down right?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Alright I'm sold on the shotgun concept.

I store it with the hammer down right?
View Quote

And safety off.

Cruiser Ready, bro.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I get where you are coming from, I grew up hunting birds too.  I made a double on some doves once that I could only do with a shotgun.  But that is the purpose of a bird gun with 7.5 shot, to shoot birds that are moving pretty fast in the air.  Of course you can't shoot tiny birds flying through the air with an AR.  

But for men coming down your hallway, moving around, I want the AR with a red dot.  They are bigger than birds and I want 30 rounds with fast follow up shots.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Get both.

I travel with a SG in my truck because Slugs on car parts penetrate better, large riot crowds 00B (violently attacking me ) and wild life problems all fall to the 12ga.

Is it Ideal? absolutely not. there are trade offs in everything. But a LEO on a traffic stop seeing my legally stored and carried SG will go a lot smoother than my legally carried and stored AR. (Knowing how police are grossly ignorant to gun laws and styles vs rights.)
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So what you're saying is you fudd the shit out of your ARs and conclude it's something to do with the gun.
View Quote

That's not even close to what I said.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#31]
In highschool, my girlfriend''s dad told me about his exploits in Vietnam as a marine infantry captain.  He said he carried a shotgun with flachette rounds.

What do you guys have to say about that?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In highschool, my girlfriend''s dad told me about his exploits in Vietnam as a marine infantry captain.  He said he carried a shotgun with flachette rounds.

View Quote

Uh... CSB?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#33]
OP likes squirrel.....

Yeah, not fond of 12 ga. Recoil.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#35]
i believe the US military has a higher success rate at clearing buildings w/ ARs than changing the hearts and minds of the arfcong shotgun villagers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, we did have squirrels in our attic earlier this year. I still don't believe shotguns offer enough precision it tight quarters. An 30 rd. AR with a red dot, stoked with varmint loads would still be better than shooting 24 squirrels with 8 shots. I just hope I don't hit one of my squirrel kids, or another member of my squirrel family by mistake with stray squirrel shot.

And then there's the slower reloads and limited magazine capacity if we get more than 24 perfectly positioned squirrels.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

There were a LOT of drugs in Vietnam.

Did he have backup guys that carried shotguns with fletchette rounds or was it M16s. Or was he Vietnaman?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

At lest i shot wit irunsites fgt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he have backup guys that carried shotguns with fletchette rounds or was it M16s. Or was he Vietnaman?

At lest i shot wit irunsites fgt.

Peris eyeland 1982. Me tu fgt.
Wii shot fibe hunnert yars wif irunsites n em sisteens Aye wuns. Neber wuz ishued a shitgun.
Simple fry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peris eyeland 1982. Me tu fgt.

http://i.imgur.com/HgvY7GG.jpg

Simpul fry grinpaw.

Oel crops iz bess crops.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Some people on here apparently have houses longer than 30 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like shotguns way more than ar's

What the problem is?

Some people on here apparently have houses longer than 30 yards.

Every bird, clay pigeon, rabbit, etc I ever shot was further than 30 yards.

Also, I want to see pictures of these hallways in peoples' houses that are over 90 feet long.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Last night I was squirrel hunting.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wait, you talking survival situation? I'm talking about someone shooting squirrels and eating the things. Not for me personally, but people DO eat them and use birdshot to take them. Tried it once, it was okay.

If it's going to be a survival situation I have a suppressed 22lr for that.

Then again, I have a suppressor for a shotgun that is stupid quiet too...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People eat squirrel and birdshot works wonderfully for killing them without detonating them.

Ain't gonna be much of that squirrel left if you bean him with a 223...

Even the bigger grays look like they were eating dynamite even with slower m855.

Fishing and trapping is way more efficient for gathering food than hunting small game.  And won't deplete your ammo supply or let everyone with a few thousand yards know where you are.

Wait, you talking survival situation? I'm talking about someone shooting squirrels and eating the things. Not for me personally, but people DO eat them and use birdshot to take them. Tried it once, it was okay.

If it's going to be a survival situation I have a suppressed 22lr for that.

Then again, I have a suppressor for a shotgun that is stupid quiet too...

Deets? I was super unimpressed with the suppressed shotgun I played with.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s219.photobucket.com/user/omega62/media/Fudds_zps78c770ea.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/omega62/Fudds_zps78c770ea.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last night I was squirrel hunting.

<a href="http://s219.photobucket.com/user/omega62/media/Fudds_zps78c770ea.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/omega62/Fudds_zps78c770ea.jpg</a>

I take it you don't hunt then?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Either will work for HD, but the scattergun is a shit ton better if you got thugs trying to kill you in your own house, i don't give a dam what any of you think, my house my gun of choice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Says you.

Other experts disagree.

Who are these "experts"?

lol

That's a well-reasoned, articulate argument.

But not enough so for me not to dismiss it as a nothing more than a childish grunt.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Fail.  Main door opens inward.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top