BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Throwing knifes in the nightstand...

Box-n-arruh just a few feet away...

If I have to fight my way to the chainsaw.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
6 years ago I would have debated to the death that a shotgun is the ultimate home defense weapon. After messing around with AR's for some time, I do recognize that they are easier to shoot, less recoil, easier to reload.....so now an AR is my go to. But I have still had this nagging loyalty to the shotgun. I have a couple stashed around the house, camp, and farm, and wouldn't feel unarmed should I have to use them. I have a lot of confidence in my ability to shoot a shotgun.

Last night I was squirrel hunting. I was using a super accurate 10/22 International, with a 2-7x Leupold. It is my favorite squirrel set up.

3 grays came scampering down this huge oak, all at once. I didn't kill any of them. I choked on the first one, and then could not get a shot on the other 3. My first thought was had I been shooting a shotgun, I very well may have killed all 3.

LIGHTBULB.

It was then I realized where my loyalty to the shotgun comes from. Over 40 years of quick shooting at multiple targets, successfully. Whereas rifle shooting has been "crosshairs, shoulder, squeeze".....much more accurate, slow, and precise.

So it is natural to at first think that should I need to quickly fight off one or more, the shotgun is best....thats my lifelong "training", right?

Except that it doesn't apply to gun fighting, at least it is not a perfect overlay. Recoil, ease of reloading, ability to reach out beyond 30 yards precisely....AR wins.

I know this is nothing earth shattering to many (most) of you. But it was to me. I actually said "oh shit" in my head.

Off to shoot those 3 squirrels I missed out on last night.....
View Quote

Good on ya.  

Knowledge gained without pain is a gift; and a sign of an agile mind.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A coyote in a barn or a mink in the rabbit coup where Im running out the back door is hunting?

If someone was breaking into your shed or car is that hunting or hd?

How about someone trying to steal your dig or kidnap you kid playing in the front yard?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, we can add squirrels to Geesemen, bears, and birds as acceptable to a shottie against in an HD situation.

Considering Ive lost thousands of dollars of livestock to yotes, minks, and foxes and used shotguns to good effect I think you could add to the list.

Ive had to run out the door grabbing a gun hundreds of times to defend my food and property.

Ok. But it only counts if they're invading your home. Otherwise it's just "hunting."

A coyote in a barn or a mink in the rabbit coup where Im running out the back door is hunting?

How about someone trying to steal your dig or kidnap you kid playing in the front yard?

God damn Partisan Hares

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I say use whatever you want, but the idea that it's too hard to make fast follow up shots with a shotgun is silly. Go shoot  double clays.
View Quote

You shoot clays with buckshot?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever you are most proficient with is the best choice.

Duhhhhh OP

http://i.imgur.com/lIuslzy.jpg

Maybe all she can afford is a trs-80
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say use whatever you want, but the idea that it's too hard to make fast follow up shots with a shotgun is silly. Go shoot  double clays.

You realize an ounce of shot is an ounce of shot right? If the velocity is equal shot size doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have. Makes for a long and unsuccessful round.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You realize an ounce of shot is an ounce of shot right? If the velocity is equal shot size doesn't matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never shot a clay round that kicked like buckshot.
Never saw anyone shoot at clays with buckshot and hit anything.  
So his argument is tarded...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm willing to bet that all the shotgun tards are the same tards that poo poo all over attending training courses.

Training will help you overcome your deficiencies with your weapon.
The fact that many here would choose an inferior weapon over training with a superior weapon speaks of their arrogance.

The AR-15 is superior in nearly every way to a shotgun for home defense purposes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This deserves the full animation.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1238408638_superman_drinking_.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the over penetration and collateral damage possibilities with a center fire rifle are unacceptable unless your closest neighbor is a half a mile away.

This deserves the full animation.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1238408638_superman_drinking_.gif

There is so much ignorance on this board.
I truly believe most of these half-wits work the gun counter at Cabela's.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Thumbhole stock and single stack 10rd mag.

Not even trashcan material.... that belongs in a open sewer ditch.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
6 years ago I would have debated to the death that a shotgun is the ultimate home defense weapon. After messing around with AR's for some time, I do recognize that they are easier to shoot, less recoil, easier to reload.....so now an AR is my go to. But I have still had this nagging loyalty to the shotgun. I have a couple stashed around the house, camp, and farm, and wouldn't feel unarmed should I have to use them. I have a lot of confidence in my ability to shoot a shotgun.

Last night I was squirrel hunting. I was using a super accurate 10/22 International, with a 2-7x Leupold. It is my favorite squirrel set up.

3 grays came scampering down this huge oak, all at once. I didn't kill any of them. I choked on the first one, and then could not get a shot on the other 3. My first thought was had I been shooting a shotgun, I very well may have killed all 3.

LIGHTBULB.

It was then I realized where my loyalty to the shotgun comes from. Over 40 years of quick shooting at multiple targets, successfully. Whereas rifle shooting has been "crosshairs, shoulder, squeeze".....much more accurate, slow, and precise.

So it is natural to at first think that should I need to quickly fight off one or more, the shotgun is best....thats my lifelong "training", right?

Except that it doesn't apply to gun fighting, at least it is not a perfect overlay. Recoil, ease of reloading, ability to reach out beyond 30 yards precisely....AR wins.

I know this is nothing earth shattering to many (most) of you. But it was to me. I actually said "oh shit" in my head.

View Quote

The part in red has no place in a shotgun vs. AR discussion.  If you're trying to defend yourself in close quarters (e.g. the only possible use for a shotgun in self defense) then you need to be discussing unmagnified sights, preferably a red dot or holographic.  Of course magnified optics are slower. Duh.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Whatever you are most proficient with is the best choice.

Duhhhhh OP
View Quote

Then why not train to become proficient with the most effective weapon available to you?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Velocities generally aren't equal though.  Most buckshot loads have a larger velocity (and thus use a significantly heavier charge) than most loads used for shooting clays.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it finally just clicked for me!

Using a far more precise weapon, the shotgunner missed.  Which, no harm no foul, I'm not going to say I've never missed a shot before.

But I've never wished for less precision.  In fact, a lack of precision is far more often the problem.  Trying to take squirrels with a BB gun, for example.  I've done it, but it sure isn't easy like it is with a rifle.

And that's it exactly.  The shotgunners truly believe that a lack of precision is a feature, not a flaw.

LIGHTBULB!

Thanks for explaining it, OP.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just read the posts above you.

The portal is WIDE open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But in this thread I thought we are ACTUALLY talking about hunting small animals

Just read the posts above you.

The portal is WIDE open.

I'm worried, Ray. It's getting crowded in there and all my data points to something big on the horizon.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm worried, Ray. It's getting crowded in there and all my data points to something big on the horizon.
View Quote

Tell him about the Twinkie....
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think it finally just clicked for me!

Using a far more precise weapon, the shotgunner missed.  Which, no harm no foul, I'm not going to say I've never missed a shot before.

But I've never wished for less precision.  In fact, a lack of precision is far more often the problem.  Trying to take squirrels with a BB gun, for example.  I've done it, but it sure isn't easy like it is with a rifle.

And that's it exactly.  The shotgunners truly believe that a lack of precision is a feature, not a flaw.

LIGHTBULB!

Thanks for explaining it, OP.
View Quote

Do you want Super Precision?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet that all the shotgun tards are the same tards that poo poo all over attending training courses.

The fact that many here would choose an inferior weapon over training with a superior weapon speaks of their arrogance.

The AR-15 is superior in nearly every way to a shotgun for home defense purposes.
View Quote

Training or no, a shotgun is better for squirrel hunting than a ar15
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's squirrel a euphemism for?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

WTF is a Geesemen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, we can add squirrels to Geesemen, bears, and birds as acceptable to a shottie against in an HD situation.

WTF is a Geesemen?

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If things are around that are as small and fast as squirrels and can still kill you... you're fucked anyway.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with either for home defense.

Nothing is perfect.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If things are around that are as small and fast as squirrels and can still kill you... you're fucked anyway.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, fucking fisher cats
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering Ive lost thousands of dollars of livestock to yotes, minks, and foxes and used shotguns to good effect I think you could add to the list.

Ive had to run out the door grabbing a gun hundreds of times to defend my food and property.

Ok. But it only counts if they're invading your home. Otherwise it's just "hunting."

God damn Partisan Hares

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1zMniBaRP-s/VYSY5yTxOjI/AAAAAAAAEDY/ccBJUH0IOmk/s1600/rabbit-hunting.jpg

I had some flemish giants that were big enough to shoot AKs

coup... i get it
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Preslicely.  This is what I've been trying to get thru to the "hurr durr AR be bestest fur evurthin!!11!! " crowd.  For fast-moving targets (like ghetto rats invading your house), the shotgun reigns supreme.  Yes, it tops out @ ~30-odd yards; is this a major problem?  Were you planning on shooting perps beyond that?  Remember, the longer the range, the harder the "I felt in danger of my life" argument is in front of a jury.

Yes, rifles can be better... FOR SOME SITUATIONS.  That's why I keep a loaded AK handy.  My go-to heavy, tho, is a plain-Jane, bone-stock Mossy 500 w/ pistol grip.  Frankly, I think the myopic obsession some have with ARs comes more from "This is what all the kool kids roll with!!!11!! " syndrome, rather than an objective, grown-up assessment of the realities of the situation.

Of course, YMMV, if you live in the country vs. city, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preslicely.  This is what I've been trying to get thru to the "hurr durr AR be bestest fur evurthin!!11!! " crowd.  For fast-moving targets (like ghetto rats invading your house), the shotgun reigns supreme.  Yes, it tops out @ ~30-odd yards; is this a major problem?  Were you planning on shooting perps beyond that?  Remember, the longer the range, the harder the "I felt in danger of my life" argument is in front of a jury.

Yes, rifles can be better... FOR SOME SITUATIONS.  That's why I keep a loaded AK handy.  My go-to heavy, tho, is a plain-Jane, bone-stock Mossy 500 w/ pistol grip.  Frankly, I think the myopic obsession some have with ARs comes more from "This is what all the kool kids roll with!!!11!! " syndrome, rather than an objective, grown-up assessment of the realities of the situation.

Did you even read the OP? Shotguns are great on small fast moving targets like squirrels and bunnies. Thugs are much larger and slower.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell him about the Twinkie....

http://i.imgur.com/EpdVk6Q.jpg

Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psycho kinetic energy shotguns posts in the General Discussion area...

Based on this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did you even read the OP? Shotguns are great on small fast moving targets like squirrels and bunnies. Thugs are much larger and slower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No no no.

He said ghetto rats.

Rats.  Which hail from the ghetto.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Do they make these for the AR?
If not, shotgun still rules.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OO buck and slugs is my home defense load of choice. Slugs will reach out to 100 yards and they make big holes. I personally see no need for a AR for home defense unless you are preparing for a mass mob attack. I think the over penetration and collateral damage possibilities with a center fire rifle are unacceptable unless your closest neighbor is a half a mile away.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OO buck and slugs is my home defense load of choice. Slugs will reach out to 100 yards and they make big holes. I personally see no need for a AR for home defense unless you are preparing for a mass mob attack. I think the over penetration and collateral damage possibilities with a center fire rifle are unacceptable unless your closest neighbor is a half a mile away.

https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/DocGKRData/WoundProfilesAfterWallBarrier.jpg

Get your facts out of this thread.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#34]
practice, practice, practice...........whatever it is, experience will make the weapon you use the best weapon to use. Whatever you use will be better than no firearm at all.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some people on here apparently have houses longer than 30 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like shotguns way more than ar's

What the problem is?

Some people on here apparently have houses longer than 30 yards.

most likely the ones with super model wives, 14" dicks, a Bentley in the drive, and 5m in ready cash.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

LIGHTBULB.

View Quote

Squirrel dog and a bolt action Ruger M77 Mach2  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#37]
The shotgun is so deadly, they have to give them names like Wingmaster and Clay Pigeon. Because when they have the name STREETSWEEPER they are basically megadeth devices.

The more you know.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LIGHTBULB.

Whenever I bring a .22 squirrel hunting we flush a ton of birds

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I consider that a feature

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/DocGKRData/WoundProfilesAfterWallBarrier.jpg

I consider that a feature

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here we go again.

http://i.imgur.com/T45O5UO.jpg
View Quote

You said it man.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You said it man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we go again.

You said it man.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

LIGHTBULB.

View Quote

If three men break into your house, you are absolutely nuts if you choose a shotgun over an AR with a 30 round mag.

I would take an AR over my Benelli that will hold 12 +1 rounds of 00 buckshot.

Men aren't squirrels.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Men aren't squirrels.
View Quote

Well... most men.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we go again.

You said it man.

http://i.imgur.com/ZcX0nrj.gif

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LIGHTBULB.

View Quote

One of the earliest uses of the scatter gun was for bird hunting.

But I totally agree on home defense. Theres nothing better than a carbine. Shotguns are fun as hell to shoot, but not great fighting tools. As a general purpose survival tool they are very useful.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If three men break into your house, you are absolutely nuts if you choose a shotgun over an AR with a 30 round mag.

Men aren't squirrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LIGHTBULB.

Men aren't squirrels.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we go again.

You said it man.

http://i.imgur.com/ZcX0nrj.gif

Why do you guys hate happy hunting dog threads?

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Get Both:

<a href="http://s657.photobucket.com/user/tankdawg0057/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2878981E-48AA-4983-83FD-85339A75D180_zps8dbdv5kl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu300/tankdawg0057/Mobile%20Uploads/2878981E-48AA-4983-83FD-85339A75D180_zps8dbdv5kl.jpg</a>
View Quote

I want one !!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LIGHTBULB.

View Quote

Keep in mind a small game animal is the size of a larger something far away. The shotgun works at hitting small stuff close because you have a foot or more spread. being precise with a rifle on small game in some ways translates to being able to hit bigger targets further away.

Squirrel hunting with a rifle is about the best way ther is to get good at hitting stuff up close or further away IMO.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top