Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It doesn't have to have been the best solution in order to be legal. If it was legally an option, then it was legal. There's no 20/20 hindsight applied to what a reasonable LEO would have done given the information he had at the time of the action.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good doesn't necessarily = legal shoot.

I'd argue no shooting is good. It's actually a giant shit sandwich for all parties.

It doesn't have to have been the best solution in order to be legal. If it was legally an option, then it was legal. There's no 20/20 hindsight applied to what a reasonable LEO would have done given the information he had at the time of the action.

That was what I was getting at, I just didn't word it well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Your assertions are flawed

He agreed to surrender
He had become far less agitated
He wasn't attempting to flee or move to a populated area
He agreed to come down with the officers
He turned to face them after they REscalated the situation....knowing he became agitated each time they had done so prior
He never moved towards them with the knives

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had 2 lethal weapons, was within danger radius, refused legal orders to surrender for 6 hours, becoming increasingly agitated, attempting to flee/move to possible populated area, turned to face officers after bang detonated with knives in attack posture.

He agreed to surrender
He turned to face them after they REscalated the situation....knowing he became agitated each time they had done so prior

I find this information a bit suspect. Question your source.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd argue no shooting is good. It's actually a giant shit sandwich for all parties.

I know.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had 2 lethal weapons, was within danger radius, refused legal orders to surrender for 6 hours, becoming increasingly agitated, attempting to flee/move to possible populated area, turned to face officers after bang detonated with knives in attack posture.

He agreed to surrender

Umm, the hours of video......
The officers own statements......
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Want a cookie?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe you.

Want a cookie?

BURN seems to know what's going on, why don't you?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.

This damn internet can be tricky

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
James Boyd had paranoid schizophrenia as well as an extensive criminal history of aggravated battery against law enforcement in New Mexico and elsewhere.

Segments of police video played by the defense showed an agitated Boyd threatening to kill officers numerous times that March day. The case is about a clash between the duty of police to protect the community and assessing the danger Boyd posed, defense attorney Luis Robles said.

He said Boyd was asked to surrender his knives 33 times but didn’t. “He was shot with his knives in his hands,” Robles said.
View Quote

Homeless in Life. In death I bet he has family popping up all over the place to put their names on the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He agreed to surrender

A former APD detective and his cohorts deigning to offer welcome in a briefing to an uninvited and uninitiated prole, using said video, statements and matters of record?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Homeless in Life. In death I bet he has family popping up all over the place to put their names on the lawsuit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
James Boyd had paranoid schizophrenia as well as an extensive criminal history of aggravated battery against law enforcement in New Mexico and elsewhere.

Segments of police video played by the defense showed an agitated Boyd threatening to kill officers numerous times that March day. The case is about a clash between the duty of police to protect the community and assessing the danger Boyd posed, defense attorney Luis Robles said.

He said Boyd was asked to surrender his knives 33 times but didn’t. “He was shot with his knives in his hands,” Robles said.

I believe they were sought out by the DAs office.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those dudes rolled heavy to get a bum off a hill.

Who threatened to stab several people on the nearby walking path, hence why LE was called
So, light him up while he is collecting his things. Those guys are fucking heroes.

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-to-someone-with-a-hammer-everything-looks-like-a-nail-mark-twain-87-46-45.jpg

Are you arguing that cops shouldn't be armed?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Agreed.
That was uncalled for.
The police precipitated that bad outcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah that was bullshit the guy was packing up and complying they didn't need to flashbang him bunch of trigger happy assholes

Agreed.
That was uncalled for.
The police precipitated that bad outcome.

Bad guys just need love and understanding. My bum dindu nuthin.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Want a cookie?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe you.

Want a cookie?

I hope you brought a whole box because I don't believe you either unless everyone you know is some kind of cop hating gun nut version of Bum Lives Matter.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#13]
First time I watched the vid I was all WTF

Then I heard rumors he had knives in his hands, so I rewatched the video in full screen on a 70" 4k monitor to see them, and I was still like WTF

Monday morning QBing is not going on here, they were out of line from the moment they let that flash bang go until the video stopped.  They didn't want to use any other option available to them.  Yea, I saw him pull the knives.  Yea, I saw him turn around and start to either lie on the ground or put the knives down while facing away from the officers.  The first shots went off as the man was crouched down facing away from the officers.  

Then AFTER they kill him they bean bag him for good measure?  I guess you tenderize a roast before you cook it right?

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I do not know anyone here in Abq (including fellow LEO's) who believe this was a 'good shoot'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trying to be as objective as I can for what it's worth:  I predict the cop will be found not guilty and to not have violated department policy.  "Normal" don't like this shoot because the cop likes killing.  

Not being objective:  I hope the cop gets an honest psyche eval and retired from police work permanently.  I don't want him anywhere around me or anyone else I care about.

Yet, nearly to a person, the people posting who actually live in Albuquerque are fine with it.

In fact, personally, there's at least one other crazy bum I wish APD had killed before he was able to murder someone I knew.

I do not know anyone here in Abq (including fellow LEO's) who believe this was a 'good shoot'.

Every Albuquerque LEO I have talked to about it says "Sure" there were some things that did not go perfect and some things that can be changed to make the process better but that the shoot was justifiable.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Defense attorneys for now-retired Keith Sandy and former Officer Dominique Perez told jurors that dispatchers warned officers to use extreme caution given that James Boyd had paranoid schizophrenia as well as an extensive criminal history of aggravated battery against law enforcement in New Mexico and elsewhere.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/prosecutor-nm-cops-intentionally-killed-homeless-man/ar-BBwlUHk?li=BBnb4R7

View Quote

Like taking a knife to a lady officers face.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I hope you brought a whole box because I don't believe you either unless everyone you know is some kind of cop hating gun nut version of Bum Lives Matter.
View Quote

Explain why one has to 'hate cops' in order for them believe it shouldn't have happened the way it did....
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Every Albuquerque LEO I have talked to about it says "Sure" there were some things that did not go perfect and some things that can be changed to make the process better but that the shoot was justifiable.

View Quote

Anything can be 'justified' by any one.
Sandy and Perez effed up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I think that win, lose, or draw, the verdict will be based on the jury's view of the video and the accompanying statements. I don't see anybody's psychology carrying the day.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
 Boo yah.  Doubt they get a conviction though.  He was armed when he was shot.  
View Quote

Anyone has the right to defend themselves against thugs even if the thugs have badges.

Those cops were hunting not patrolling.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Anyone has the right to defend themselves against thugs even if the thugs have badges.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Boo yah.  Doubt they get a conviction though.  He was armed when he was shot.  

You do not have the right to defend yourself from a lawful arrest.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Bad shoot. Hope he gets what he deserves.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Is this the "Booyah" dude?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Those cops went in heavy for a bum. If he had an AR they'ed have to call the Delta Force.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Those cops went in heavy for a bum. If he had an AR they'ed have to call the Delta Force.
View Quote

How do you usually arrest schizophrenic people with 2 knives?  Based on your first hand experience, what's the best way?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How do you usually arrest schizophrenic people with 2 knives?  Based on your first hand experience, what's the best way?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a cop, even though I wanted to be one. I guess the dog and the beanbag shotgun only sufficed after the bum was dead.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on the limited evidence available, you maintain a safe distance and shoot him in the back.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Based on the limited evidence available, you maintain a safe distance and shoot him in the back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Open Space officer fucked up by not immediately engaging Boyd and thus putting A LOT more officers in harm's way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In your experience, how do you do it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag for results.

I believe I called this a justifiable shoot when we initially covered it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call the locals.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I really don't get what the police had in mind with regards to an arrest that minimized the chances of harm to themselves much less the agitated schizophrenic.

You have an overweight not particularly agile looking schizophrenic nut armed with knives on top of a rugged hill with typical New Mexican ankle twisting gravel and plant life.

He's threatening the police in the video and apparently has done so for sometime although I haven't seen any video if it exits, I'm just going by the statements made in this thread.

He is in his own makeshift campground with his stuff scattered about and if there is any danger of concealed campground weapons it would most likely be in that area.  It is also the area where he would have the most familiarity with clear paths if he were to make a charge either away from or towards the police.  He probably knows the best path to take for a middle of the night piss without getting into prickly pear or cat's claws right off the bat.

It appears that he agrees to leave and it appears that the police allow him to pick up his stuff.  I figured normally, you don't want somebody rooting around in their stuff due to the possibility of producing a weapon, but he's schizophrenic and picking up to leave seems to both calm him and burden him in a way to make him more defenseless than his previous schizoid sermon on the mount stance.

I figure they are going to have him walk towards the vehicles or at least get him off that hill where they have a better chance to deploy for taser use or at least won't have to fight up hill.  

But then they shoot that flash bang for no reason that I can determine.  Now they have him back to defensive, raving, schizoid man on top of a hill and they have to go up after him.  I don't get that move at all.  I can't ever see any knives in the video.  I am not saying they aren't in his hands at any particular time.  I am saying the video quality on my laptop isn't very good.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I will not comment on the legality of the shot but the deceased was a danger to everyone in this town.

I'm glad he is not wandering Central with his knives.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I will not comment on the legality of the shot but the deceased was a danger to everyone in this town.

I'm glad he is not wandering Central with his knives.
View Quote

Different question. Lots of people need killing, starting with every rapist, robber, home burglar, et c. in the state pen. However, the fact that killing them resulted in a net benefit to society would not save their killer from the needle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Explain why one has to 'hate cops' in order for them believe it shouldn't have happened the way it did....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have a problem with firefighters getting stuff wet, it's safe to say you have a problem with firefighting. Shooting violent criminals brandishing knives is normal cop stuff. It's normal non-cop stuff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Defense attorneys for now-retired Keith Sandy and former Officer Dominique Perez told jurors that dispatchers warned officers to use extreme caution given that James Boyd had paranoid schizophrenia as well as an extensive criminal history of aggravated battery against law enforcement in New Mexico and elsewhere.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/prosecutor-nm-cops-intentionally-killed-homeless-man/ar-BBwlUHk?li=BBnb4R7

He was just misunderstood. A victim of prejudice against outdoorsmen. I have it on good authority he was turning his life around and about to enroll at UNM.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Was it a good shoot?
View Quote

I'm saying NO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
He had 2 knives in his hands.

Maybe people aren't watching the video.
View Quote

Seems to me that as soon as the guy turns his back to them and takes a step AWAY from them, the officer takes two shots with the AR.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Seems to me that as soon as the guy turns his back to them and takes a step AWAY from them, the officer takes two shots with the AR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He had 2 knives in his hands.

Maybe people aren't watching the video.

After the flash bang.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like most things, application of MMQB to the legal process is something that everybody with no skin in the game wants and can't imagine how the second and third order effects might burn them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

What a retard.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm just here to watch the shit show.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which is a K-9 handler most likely to say when his dog is engaged with a suspect. "Booyah" or "Pfui"?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Which is a K-9 handler most likely to say when his dog is engaged with a suspect. "Booyah" or "Pfui"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did any officer state that he said something or are you presuming that the K9 officer was the one of the four on scene that said something at that time?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Call the locals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call the locals.

LOL
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top