Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And the Cyclorama now too. Cyclorama is a must see

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Atlanta Historical Center.  They have the Texan, the locomotive that was used to chase and recapture the General.

Doesn't reopen until 2017.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

First time I've heard that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm excited to be visiting Atlanta.....

maybe he likes playing grand theft auto in real life?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Atlanta Historical Center.  They have the Texan, the locomotive that was used to chase and recapture the General.

oh

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Food sucks and people are rude for being in "the south".
View Quote

most people in ATL are not from the south
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go to the Aquarium.

If you like burgers I'd recommend The Vortex

Anything else I'd say head north to the "mountains". Dahlonega area is nice
View Quote

This! Little Five Points is the best. Traffic is the worst, don't fight it, use Uber.

Edit to add this link ->http://littlefivepoints.net/
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Until recently, the aquarium was considered the largest in the world, iirc. Don't go to Atlanta without seeing it. The whale sharks and manta rays are amazing.

Not my picture:
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to The Varsity, eat Georgia Tech approved fast food.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm excited to be visiting Atlanta later this week on business.  I have late afternoons and evenings free, and all day Friday.  Other than the airport, I've never been to Atlanta.

What are the must-see attractions? Restaurants? Parks? Museums?

Thanks!
View Quote

Underground Atlanta is a must see.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Go to The Varsity, eat Georgia Tech approved fast food.
View Quote

Gotta get you some good ol' GA mudbutt

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Also, Doraville is a must...
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Lots of negative nancies in this thread. I've been going to/through Atlanta since I was a kid. I like Atlanta. Usually stay in Buckhead. The aquarium and the World of Coke are cool. There's some good shopping. Too bad Dante's Down the Hatch closed; it was iconic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Tattletales, Mötley Crue partied there.

If you're adventurous, Platinum 21. Me and a buddy ended up there one night, had a better time there than any other the other strip clubs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Hit me up, I'd love to entertain an Arfcommer. I'm 5 min from the airport and self employed so depending what you're into I could show you around my beloved city.

And dont listen to the suburbanites regarding the ghetto stigma of the city. Its only like that to the people who've never lived in a city...
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Food sucks and people are rude for being in "the south".
View Quote
Most of the people in Atlanta are yankee transplants. Go OTP and you find more of the "southern hospitality"

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just ate at the one in Roswell about a week ago.  It is impossible to leave there hungry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you like Italian food and don't mind driving a little North of Atlanta go to Provinos, preferably in Alpharetta, my hometown.

That's all I can offer as I rarely went downtown.

Just ate at the one in Roswell about a week ago.  It is impossible to leave there hungry.

Right on.

I ate there all the time when I lived in GA, probably the best Italian food I've had.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Moss Pawn, Adventure Outdoors, and the Aquarium.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm excited to be visiting Atlanta.....

No shit

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#18]
A real sight to see will be a gas station that still has gas.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Be sure to do your food shopping at the Kroger supermarket at 725 Ponce de Leon Avenue in Poncey-Highland.

I've lived in cities. To any doubters, Atlanta sucks sweaty balls and I cannot wait to leave this tepid filth hole.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I, personally, avoid Atlanta as much as I can and I live an hour from it. Yet, there are some cool things to see and do. On the top of my list would the the Atlanta Zoo, You can burn hours here seeing all kinds of great animals! Plus, you can walk around the local area surrounding the zoo and see some beautiful homes.

World of Coke and the Atlanta aquarium are also two that I would recommend to see. Both can be done in a few hours easily depending on how much you stop to look at things. Plus, they face each other so you can park, pay once, and go to both in the same visit.

The Varsity is a interesting place to eat if youve never been there or to a place similar to it before.

Now, one of my favorite places, and my wifes, is the Sun Dial. Its a restaurant ( with pretty good food) on the top of the hotel in downtown. The cool thing is, the entire flood revolves around the city so you can see a 360 degree view of Atlanta. Its VERY nice towards the end of the evening.

Lastly, if you are able to get a rental car, hit up Stone Mountain. Its worth seeing completely. You can walk the park, see the small stores ect or sit on the lawn in front of the show area and just look at everything. Another cool aspect is going to the top of Stone Mountain. You can either go up there via trolley or actually hike up the side of it.

Regardless of what you do, have fun and watch your back down there. Atlanta has some interesting people and even the nicest of areas have crime thats pretty rough in them and some areas are hands down worse than others.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Be sure to do your food shopping at the Kroger supermarket at 725 Ponce de Leon Avenue in Poncey-Highland.

I've lived in cities. To any doubters, Atlanta sucks sweaty balls and I cannot wait to leave this tepid filth hole.
View Quote

I live north of Atlanta and only go downtown when I have to but we do at times, maybe once a year, go down there to do things and eat and then we are normally back on the road before dark.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I love going to Atlanta. Wife and I are there at least twice a month.

OP, I don't know what kinds of stuff you're into, but here's a few places we love. You don't need kids to enjoy any of these places, either. Wife and I were going long before we adopted our two monsters.

Atlanta:

Head over to Stone Mountain after lunchtime. I say after lunchtime because it's hot as hell and so humid the devil would cry. If you go after lunch you will have time to see everything before they close at 5:00 and you can stay for the laser show. It's a great way to wind down.

Fernbank Museum remains one of my favorite ways to enjoy a lazy day. Look down at all the fossils within the tiles, too.

I have never not enjoyed riding around on segways and hearing about Atlanta's historic sites and this is the best place to do it.

Make sure you time it right and head to the Westin Hotel (the round building) and ride the elevator to the top about thirty-forty minutes before sunset. It will drop you off at The Sundial Restaurant and give you a phenomenal view of the city. Like I said, time it right and you can enjoy a cocktail or one of their incredible desserts while you watch the sky explode.

If you're into movies you might enjoy the Atlanta Movie Tours

The College Football Hall of Fame is not to be missed. You can EASILY spend a full afternoon in there and still want to see more.

Food:
Ask the locals. There is so much amazing food in Atlanta. Your best bet is to figure out what you are in the mood for and ask someone who lives there. It's been my experience that the non-advertised, hole in the wall places where you blink and miss them are the best.

Outside of Atlanta:
The Marietta National Cemetery is absolutely beautiful. Definitely worth a walk through and not far outside of Atlanta. While you're in Marietta you can visit some civil war attractions

I cannot overstate how absolutely wonderful the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History is. Simply fantastic. It's about an hour (depending on traffic) outside of Atlanta and well worth the drive. Go early and you shouldn't have issues with traffic. You could go here first, then backtrack through Marietta to see the cemetery and stuff on your return to Atlanta.

I hope you have a nice, safe trip and get to experience as much as possible.

OH! IF YOU GO TO WORLD OF COKE . . . DO NOT DRINK THE BEVERLY. I can only imagine that the main ingredient is wrung from the intestines of three day dead human carcasses that have been boiling in the sun for days, but constantly wet down to retain some skank juice for the drink.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep, MARTA is a surefire way to get your ass robbed

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supposedly, the trick is to stay in the north portion of the city and ride the metro in.

I found a flaw in your plan.

Yep, MARTA is a surefire way to get your ass robbed

The pride of South West Dekalb High School right here.
This is the band drum corps

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Atlanta is very vibrant, repeat, very vibrant.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hit me up, I'd love to entertain an Arfcommer. I'm 5 min from the airport and self employed so depending what you're into I could show you around my beloved city.

And dont listen to the suburbanites regarding the ghetto stigma of the city. Its only like that to the people who've never lived in a city...
View Quote

Pretty much the reaction from neighbors when I moved from Buckhead to the burbs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh FFS.  OP calm your panties.  It's Atlanta.  It ain't fucking Candyland.  Atlanta is shitty.  That is all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I rode the MARTA from the airport to downtown, an old black guy told me what marta meant then laughed his ass off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I rode the MARTA from the airport to downtown, an old black guy told me what marta meant then laughed his ass off.
View Quote

I thought thats what it meant until I was about 13

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meh, I lived in NYC and worked in the NYC ghetto and I think it's a shithole.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Still better than Chicago though. At least we can carry regularly

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Ride the MARTA and you could be a star.
Worldstar.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Magic City.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ive been on Marta ONCE my entire life and I was a kid. It was the ONLY time Ive ever been in a situation where were were robbed. I would young and couldnt do shit but I remember this little black lady cop coming to talk to use and saying we should have picked up this giant cone and beat the shit out of him with it That was the first and last time going on Marta.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#34]
LOL you folks are over-emphasizing on the word "excited".  I like to travel and see new places. It's fun. So far this year I've been to New Orleans and to Memphis and asked both times on this board about the cities.  People made great recommendations along with some expected negative comments. I had a great time in both those cities and I'm looking forward to Atlanta.

Anyway thanks for the replies so far.  I'm not visiting any strip clubs.  I do have a rental but if it's too much of a hassle I'll just Uber around.  Staying a mile from Georgia Tech.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Are you bringing your own gas? Are you willing to sell any of it?

GA Aquarium is nice. Stone and Kennesaw mtns if you're into history. Lots of stuff in N GA if you're into the outdoors.
View Quote
Don't bring a CCW or a pocket knife.

Wouldn't even let me carry a pocket knife when I was a LEO at the time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you bringing your own gas? Are you willing to sell any of it?

GA Aquarium is nice. Stone and Kennesaw mtns if you're into history. Lots of stuff in N GA if you're into the outdoors.

I just threw my knife in my kids diaper bag last time

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Magic City.
View Quote

A buddy used to drag me there and the Blue Flame. I think Onyx used to be worse than both of those.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Go to the Aquarium.

If you like burgers I'd recommend The Vortex

Anything else I'd say head north to the "mountains". Dahlonega area is nice
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
LOL you folks are over-emphasizing on the word "excited".  I like to travel and see new places. It's fun. So far this year I've been to New Orleans and to Memphis and asked both times on this board about the cities.  People made great recommendations along with some expected negative comments. I had a great time in both those cities and I'm looking forward to Atlanta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mckg0

Anyway thanks for the replies so far.  I'm not visiting any strip clubs.  I do have a rental but if it's too much of a hassle I'll just Uber around.  Staying a mile from Georgia Tech.

View Quote

Def need to hit The Varsity.
Also have dinner at Pitty Pats Porch
Drive on up to Kennesaw and check out the mountai n and all the civil war stuff
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#40]
the Braves are out of town but they still give tours of Turner Field. Last year of that baseball stadium before the Braves move to Cobb County.

If you're not a baseball guy then don't bother, though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#41]
http://littleitalia.com/

Antico Pizza is just a few blocks west of downtown and really good.

Edit: Just saw you are staying close to Tech, Antico is not 3 blocks west of Tech.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#42]
OP has late afternoons free.  Everyone suggests to head north out of Atlanta.

Hope you like tail lights buddy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OP has late afternoons free.  Everyone suggests to head north out of Atlanta.

Hope you like tail lights buddy.
View Quote

True.
Rush hour starts at 2 and ends at 9
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol Murder Kroger.

I deliver there twice a week, usually before sunup. Just keep your head on a swivel!

I Krogers I deliver to on Cascade, Headland and Greenbriar, and Cleveland Ave are way worse.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I skimmed the comments so I don't know if anyone mentioned it but Mary Mac's Tea Room has really good southern food.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

If you like Italian food and don't mind driving a little North of Atlanta go to Provinos, preferably in Alpharetta, my hometown.

That's all I can offer as I rarely went downtown.
View Quote

Go to Scalini's, same owners, but Provino's is their lower-tier restaurants.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cheetah Club
View Quote

This great place to eat among other things!
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#48]
City of decatur is nice, and it's safe to walk around at night. Unfortunately you need to get through a few miles of aspiring rappers first.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What part of town will you be in? Will you have a car?
View Quote

This, assuming "downtown" with a car opens up a lot of options. The GA Aquarium for sure if you do nothing els.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top