Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 5:33:03 AM EDT
I just got a BSA Mildot scope for my 10/22.  6-24X40 with the AO and illuminated reticle.  I seriously don't see how or why people don't like them.  I found it to be quite clear, even on the 24 power setting.  I was zeroing in at 50 yards, but the range goes to 100 yrds with a dirt mount right behind.  I set the AO on 100 yrds, and could plainly see clearly the dirt mound.  I even started shooting at this small dirt clump (had to aim using the 2nd dot below the crosshairs).  It was a lot of fun!  Unless I just got an unusually good BSA scope, I don't see what the deal is!  

:)
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a BSA, and $ for $, I think its better than Leupold.

With my PSS, I can get 3/4" groups with PMC ammo and my BSA.

What MORE can you ask from a scope????
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
You are using it on a small rifle at short ranges. They are OK for fun & a tight budget. I have one on a varmint rig & think it's ok for punching paper. Use it in less than good conditions & come back with your findings. You will never go wrong using good glass. Save some money up & get a Leupold.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no argument that a good scope is better than a bad scope.  But, the question is where do you draw the line?  If a Tasco or BSA works well, why spend more money to do the same job?  It is ridiculous to say that Leupold is the best or even better than other scopes.  Leupold is a moderately priced scope that works well.  There are better scopes that cost more than Leupold and those who have them might say, why mess around with Leupold when a XYZ scope is better.  It's all relative.  I've had a Tasco 6X24 target scope mounted on my .22-250 Savage and consistently shoot .3" groups at 100 yards.  Is that so bad?  It's been working well for over 3 years.  Should I junk the Tasco and get a Leupold?  I don't think so.  This is the same mentality that claims BMWs are the ultimate driving machine.  I say...BS (Barbra Streisand).  If you want to spend more...go ahead....who cares?  Leupolds are fine scopes but there are others that will do the same job and cost less money.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The real point of a Leupold or scopes of that type is that they wont fail you. You get what you pay for. I was the type that wanted to justify my use of cheap optics. Then I got my first Leupold. They are far clearer, will allow you to stay in the field later due to better light transmission, will not fog up, and have a generous eye relief. Test some of these for yourself. Get your rifle & scope and a Leupold.
You can tell the difference.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Many of the low end scopes today, BSA, Tasco, are better than the optics used in WWI WWII and Korea.  For fun at the range shooting they work fine and a mildot scope for $100 is a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a BSA Contender (chinese made) that I think is a good scope for the money.

I have a review on my homepage [URL]http://members.home.net/paulbritton/[/URL]

Good brands and cheap brands both seem to suffer from lemons.  I just read about a Burris going back to be fixed 3 times!

I think the real difference comes in adjustment reliability.  Can you adjust it up 10 inches, left 10, right 10 and down 10" and be right back where you started?  From what I've read, that is the where the cheap scopes fail.

So any cheap scope should shoot good groups off the bench at 100 yards, but try cranking the knobs and see if it tracks correctly.  Is a 2" adjustment on the knobs really 2"?  Can you crank it back and return to where you were?

For a tactical scope, that type of adjustability becomes critical.  For a bench plinking, it doesn't.

Oh, and BMW's are an incredible machine.  That's why I've got 2 of them now.  The more you drive them, the more you appreciate them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
As Chaingun made mention of, I TOO thought it was a very good price for a Mildot.  Illuminated at that!  Cheaper Than Dirt as them for $109.  

As far as checking out a Leupold, I'd rather not.  I find the BSA clear.  Now, if I pick up a more expensive scope with better glass, it would tend to lower my opinion of the scope I got.  I'm sure it may not be as good as other, more expensive scopes are, but it really did look good to me.  Even shooting the dirt clumps.  They were pretty clear!  If these Leupold scopes ARE so much better, then they must be 'miracle workers'.  

And yes, I'm just paper punching.  Where I live, they only have ranges that go to 100 yrds.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]
i got a BSA contender. its good, it sits atop my 25-06. its good but it think i want to go more powerful. 24x perhaps and maybe put my 12 on my .22
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I must be the only one who won't buy them simply because they're Chinese.  I don't knowingly support Communist regimes, slave labor, political oppression and such.
Not saying it's wrong: saying it's wrong for me.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually didn't know it was Chinese made until after I received it.

Also on the topic of it's reliability.  Since it's on a .22lr, I'm not sure that recoil will be an issue!  Heh heh heh  
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#13]
if your not usung one of those bmw's I could really use it. I just turned 16 and just passed drivers ed and i worked all summer at a hell hole just so that I could get my parents to buy my first bushmaster that I paid for all buy my little self and quite franky I don't have the money to buy some fancy smancy scope so I think that I will stick with the low end of the line

bushy forever
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
BSA is made in China. Not a bad scope for the money. I don't like them,but my customers want me to stock them so there you have it. I wish I could sell guys a better scope but for someone who needs to save some money they work great.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#15]
You want sticker shock--

Try here-- [url]http://www.usoptics.com/[/url]

About $2000 for some of their higher mag. scopes.  Quality doesn't get any better (I understand their only fault is in the customer service department).
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#16]
That BSA may look OK, and may even zero OK now.

But what the extra money for a Leupold pays for is good eye relief, durability, good optics (no distortion of the image), better light transmission in low light situations, consistency of adjustments, a lifetime warranty, good customer service, and last, but not least, a fair wage to the U.S. employees of Leupold and Japanese subcontractors.

I am guessing you don't have a good scope, or you wouldn't be posting this question.  To continue the analogies, why buy an expensive stereo system for your home when you can get a radio from your local discount outlet for $20?  They both pick up radio stations and play cassettes, right?  Why spend the extra money?  It's just that with the example of the stereo, you can SEE that it is a cheap piece of crap.

Having said that, however, I will readily admit that not everyone needs a Leupold, Burris, or Swarovski.  Many folks can happily make do with a Tasco, Bushnell, or BSA (heck, I have a few Trashcos and Bushnells myself).  Just rest assured that there *is* a difference.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got a BSA, and $ for $, I think its better than Leupold.

With my PSS, I can get 3/4" groups with PMC ammo and my BSA.

What MORE can you ask from a scope????
View Quote

Funny that you should make mention of these two scopes.

Well NOW i'll explain the difference in QUALITY.

A friend of mine thought the same thing about scopes and that is the BSA is good enough or "just as good as" the Leupold.

We both have Remington 700's. I have the Leupold LRT scope and he has the BSA 32x scope.

Now, it works o.k. at short ranges and in moderate temperatures. As we were shooting, it started to get a little warm at 11:00AM. He could no longer see his target clearly at the 200 line. It was rather distracting looking through his scope even prior to it heating up the optical quality was not as good.  This is not obvious when you're in the store but you CAN see the difference when in the field.

The leupold transmits light much better, has better clearer optics, it is sealed better, it doesn't fog up like the BSA and it has a LIFETIME warranty!

After that day of shooting, I was glad I paid the extra money. With optics, you DO get what you pay for!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top