Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We have a GLCM railgun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Half the people in this thread would be disappointed to find out their idea already exists.

We have a GLCM railgun?

Remind me if you were launching missiles with the railgun or putting the railgun on the GLCM?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
low orbit ion cannon
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ditch M203s in favor of a modernized Japanese Type 89 "Knee" Mortar.
View Quote

This exists in the form of the French LGI Mle F1.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
This with lasers and flamethrowers and shit.

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Remind me if you were launching missiles with the railgun or putting the railgun on the GLCM?
View Quote

Yes and yes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]

• Full purge of civilians in Pentagon and DoD, except for near min-wage positions    

• Revamp of procurement process... no waste    

• New RoE focused on obliteration of enemy and its facilitators    

• Fully fund railgun development and procurement of 50+ railgun crusiers    
  • - A-10-2
  • Drone CAS as an A-10 replacement.. More armor,  more bullets    

•  Next-gen combat suit involving emerging Li-S technology. Turn one man into a fireteam    

• Fund a cheap anti-truck rocket like the RPG. Give em out like candy to nat guard    

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes and yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

Lol
And
Lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Diesel electric subs. A bunch more of those nifty coast guard cutters.  OV-10 outfitted for COIN in large numbers.  A cheap bomb truck jet.  Something like the arsenal ship concept - cheap, simple and carrying huge numbers of missiles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes and yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

So will the railgun on the missile launch missiles?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
an A-6 replacement.  Needs same range and payload.
30 modern nuclear powered cruisers, and 60 modern DD's. Hell, we could just make gearing hulls w/ updated electronics and AA missiles.
A dedicated CAS aircraft able to operate off of a wasp class.
A pack that just works, no whiz bang shit.
More F-22's
Modern engines for B-52.
More packs for army that just work.
Non emissions bull eco bullshit cockfag ect duece and a half.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There would be a lot of pilots and tank crews looking for a new MOS as their automated replacements come online.
View Quote

Hell yeah. Automation managed by guys with asthma, heart murmurs, and shitty vision.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

It's multi-role.

Epitome of synergy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]
choppers that are harder to shoot down and survive crashes better.

better lighter gear for the grunts.

better support for the wounded healing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Build a thousand.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
phalanx system, scaled up to 120mm, and an airframe to make it mobile.

Also, phalanx system scaled down to just bigger than microscopic, to protect against mosquitos.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Also some of these.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Air craft carriers with battle ship turrets

CWIS on  a Bradley frame

Half tracks
View Quote

Some big gun turrets on a marine LHD might work.  They could provide their own fire support.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I would refit/retool/remodel the remaining Iowa class battleships. Yes I know they are useless in today's modern warfare but nothing looks cooler than a big boat with a lot of 16" guns.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Small drones at squad level that shoot mini missiles that are basically air burst grenades.

"Guy on hill, 500 meters with an RPK"

*Cpl Schmuckowitz grabs computer*

*BANG*

"All clear."

Also, larger airships that can basically stay on station indefinitely with hellfires and mini-missiles like above.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Small drones at squad level that shoot mini missiles that are basically air burst grenades.

"Guy on hill, 500 meters with an RPK"

*Cpl Schmuckowitz grabs computer*

*BANG*

"All clear."

Also, larger airships that can basically stay on station indefinitely with hellfires and mini-missiles like above.
View Quote

Pretty much this, basically a iPad device that has your location and has a google maps overlay and that allows you to pick a location on the maps to send a missle/bomb.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditch M203s in favor of a modernized Japanese Type 89 "Knee" Mortar.

Does the LGI Mle F1 have a fixed firing angle and variable gas expansion chamber? Doesn't seem like it to me, but English language search results on it are limited.

Also, the bombs are way, way too large. Doesn't really fill the same role in my opinion, as a dismounted section can't carry a significant number of bombs. With the Type 89 the grenades aren't much larger than existing 40mm grenades, and the fixed firing angle and variable gas expansion chamber make it much faster and easier to get rounds on target so you're not wasting a dismounted section's limited ammunition on "walking it in" like you do with the M203. Just dial the range, use the built-in spirit level to set the tube at a 45, and fire. Need to adjust? Keep the same angle and just dial the range up or down a bit. Way, way faster and easier than a M203 and less ammo expenditure for the same effect on target, plus up to double the range.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Something that would smear Saudi Arabia off the map without sacrificing the oil.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Diesel electric subs. A bunch more of those nifty coast guard cutters.  OV-10 outfitted for COIN in large numbers.  A cheap bomb truck jet.  Something like the arsenal ship concept - cheap, simple and carrying huge numbers of missiles.
View Quote

To whom are exporting SSKs? Because why would the Navy want them?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Something that would smear Saudi Arabia off the map without sacrificing the oil.
View Quote

ISIS will do that soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Enhanced radiation weapons.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I'd say start with Iran.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Regarding the arsenal ship concept, why not have an entirely self-contained VLS in the same dimensions as a stack of shipping containers? Then you can just load them directly onto an existing container ship. Replenishment at sea would be impossible, but you would have such a deep magazine that it wouldn't matter, and when you do need to reload you can do so at any container port with an appropriate crane simply by removing the whole system and putting in a new one.

You wouldn't even need to keep the ship in commission. Just buy one off the market whenever there's a country you need to level.

ETA: Looks like you could theoretically fit two Mk 57 GMVLS in a stack of three 40' containers. So something like a Maersk Triple-E could carry 5000+ missiles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Regarding the arsenal ship concept, why not have an entirely self-contained VLS in the same dimensions as a stack of shipping containers? Then you can just load them directly onto an existing container ship. Replenishment at sea would be impossible, but you would have such a deep magazine that it wouldn't matter, and when you do need to reload you can do so at any container port with an appropriate crane simply by removing the whole system and putting in a new one.

You wouldn't even need to keep the ship in commission. Just buy one off the market whenever there's a country you need to level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had actually wondered if this was possible because if the chinese do it we are toast.

Quoted:

To whom are exporting SSKs? Because why would the Navy want them?

See above.

The idea is a smaller, cheaper, quieter sub that is faster to produce than an SSN for coastal/harbor protection in order to free up the SSN's to attack their harbor.  I don't necessarily thing we should build them in large quantities at this time but we should have a working design up and running should the day come when we need to produce a lot of them quickly.

If we are going to fight a big war it will be with china.   We should be husbanding our best resources instead of frittering them away in wars on mud huts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd take an Abrams tank, remove the 120mm gun, and replace it with that GE 30mm cannon that's on the A-10 Warthog.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I want a set of binoculars. A very handy and no doubt expensive set of binoculars.

These binoculars:

• Know where they are (GPS)

• Know where they are pointing (Compass)

• Know the distance to what they are focused on (Laser Rangefinder)

• Can use the above information to get the grid of what they are focused on

• Can take a photo/video of what they are focused on

• Can upload all this information to arty/air along with my callsign

• Weigh not more than 5lbs

• Are operated by no more than 4 buttons (two per side, accessible by index fingers while in use)

I want to look at something, press a few buttons, and then have that something explode in a few minutes.

Basically a completely integrated and more advanced version of the Vector + DAGR combo, and commanders that aren't sackless micro-managers.
View Quote

Kinda the ground combat equivalent of what a fighter pilot acquaintance called an I-Wish-You-Were-Dead missile.

Me?  I'd build the JanePlane - think the forward half of the RAH-66 fuselage hanging under the wings, engines, and empennage of a modernized, up-engined OV-10.  Where the helicopter's engine wasn't, I'd put a side-firing, multi barrel in .338 Norma. And the pièce de ré·sis·tance: a small, inward opening window in the pilot's canopy so he could old-school grenades in Peter Pan jars just for sport.

Once I got it operational, I'd spend my days masturbating and yelling "Allahu Akbar, motherfuckers!", while I watched realtime video feeds of my creation killing people and blowing up their shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Kinda the ground combat equivalent of what a fighter pilot acquaintance called an I-Wish-You-Were-Dead missile.

Me?  I'd build the JanePlane - think the forward half of the RAH-66 fuselage hanging under the wings, engines, and empennage of a modernized, up-engined OV-10.  Where the helicopter's engine wasn't, I'd put a side-firing, multi barrel in .338 Norma. And the pièce de ré·sis·tance: a small, inward opening window in the pilot's canopy so he could old-school grenades in Peter Pan jars just for sport.

Once I got it operational, I'd spend my days masturbating and yelling "Allahu Akbar, motherfuckers!", while I watched realtime video feeds of my creation killing people and blowing up their shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want a set of binoculars. A very handy and no doubt expensive set of binoculars.

These binoculars:

• Know where they are (GPS)

• Know where they are pointing (Compass)

• Know the distance to what they are focused on (Laser Rangefinder)

• Can use the above information to get the grid of what they are focused on

• Can take a photo/video of what they are focused on

• Can upload all this information to arty/air along with my callsign

• Weigh not more than 5lbs

• Are operated by no more than 4 buttons (two per side, accessible by index fingers while in use)

I want to look at something, press a few buttons, and then have that something explode in a few minutes.

Basically a completely integrated and more advanced version of the Vector + DAGR combo, and commanders that aren't sackless micro-managers.

I want to bear your children.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Drones. For all branches.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Viruses that are only lethal to those of Russian Descent. Followed immediately by a vaccine for Americans who are russian
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Some big gun turrets on a marine LHD might work.  They could provide their own fire support.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air craft carriers with battle ship turrets

CWIS on  a Bradley frame

Half tracks

Pretty sure the Tripoli Class boats used to have 5" guns that were removed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Viruses that are only lethal to those of Russian Descent. Followed immediately by a vaccine for Americans who are russian
View Quote

And the Russian ladies of Viking descent, right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#36]
A mind control machine that makes our enemies off themselves at will, and it will work on both foreign and domestic enemies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I've shared most of my zany ideas in GD before... I'm basically Percy Hobart, except with no engineering background or military experience.  

Flea Bombs:  Re-tooled 81 and 120mm mortar shells modified for airdrop.  Get "enough" ass-kicking on to the bad guys, even when they're crazy close to good guys (or other stuff you can't blow up).  PGM packages for the shells already exist.  I'm pretty sure DoD has already studied this.

OV-10X: modern turboprop engines, modern avionics/sensor suite.  Loaded to the gills with 2.75" rockets, Griffin, AIM-9X, SDB, Flea Bombs by the truckload.  Ventral turret with GAU-19 and the best laser designation and most sensor/targeting equipment you can stuff in it.

M8 Bradley Infantry Support Vehicle:  Re-purposing scheme for some of the Brads.  Remove dismounts, replace with ammo storage and simple AA gun control radar.  Re-worked turret replaces M242 with GAU-12 with selectable rate of fire (slower for ground targets, faster for AA use, crazy fast for CIWS-type use).  Replace TOW with a CROWS-esque "weapons arm", capable of mounting Javelin, 2.75" rocket pods, possibly a 120mm mortar system... whatever the mission requires.  A "trailer" module" could also be developed containing a dedicated radar and additional 25mm ammo, for use in the CIWS role.

AC-2 Hellhound: Basically turning the venerable C-2 into a mini-gunship that can operate from carriers.  You couldn't do the 105mm, but you could still cram a bunch of hate and discontent into the COD.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#38]
AC-5 gunships.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

See above.

The idea is a smaller, cheaper, quieter sub that is faster to produce than an SSN for coastal/harbor protection in order to free up the SSN's to attack their harbor.  I don't necessarily thing we should build them in large quantities at this time but we should have a working design up and running should the day come when we need to produce a lot of them quickly.

If we are going to fight a big war it will be with china.   We should be husbanding our best resources instead of frittering them away in wars on mud huts.
View Quote

So, how does a slow submarine that cannot transit quickly to the battle help up in a war with the Chinese, in the Pacific, which is rather large?

We're down to basically two half submarine yards. We're not going to be producing anything, quickly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd take an Abrams tank, remove the 120mm gun, and replace it with that GE 30mm cannon that's on the A-10 Warthog.
View Quote

So the shells will just dig a small divot in the front a T-90, and then T-90 kills the M1 at its leisure. Who's side are you on again?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So the shells will just dig a small divot in the front a T-90, and then T-90 kills the M1 at its leisure. Who's side are you on again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

The high-rof rotary cannon does have a place on the battlefield, but not in an MBT turret.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why you gotta harsh GDs buzz, man?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Marines
Triple the size of the infantry and air wing.
Dramatically increase amphibious assault abilities

Army
Triple the size of all infantry and combat mos.
Shift cas to army
Shift A10s to army and start making more
lower cost of cas with super tacanos

Navy
Full refit and more of everything

Air force
More F22s

Next

Crush China and Russia.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lol
And
Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

Lol
And
Lol

It's not as retarded as the 30mm Abrams.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

Lol
And
Lol

True
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Marines

Army
Shift cas to army

Navy

Air force
More F22s

Next

Crush China and Russia.

View Quote

So how does a bunch of infantry kill Russian mobile ICBMs and Chinese SSBNs?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Marines

Army
Shift cas to army

Navy

Air force
More F22s

Next

Crush China and Russia.

You have to win the coin toss and call "no nukes".  

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#48]
On the low end, drop 556 and go to 6.5 Grendel.  Replace the saw and m240 with a 6.5 Grendel LMG.  Makes logistics a bit easier.

On the high end, like Raven said, rods from god.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd build a high quality professional soldier; by making military service competitive with civilian pay and incentives. Better benefits, better living conditions, and top-notch training.
Too much money is spend on BS weapons programs and not enough on the soldiers expected to operate them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Drone fleets with the same flight characteristics and radar cross sections as the fighter and bomber fleets.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top