Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2016 12:34:02 AM EDT
Any Fans? About to slice into this.

Most people dont know that there is still an ageing component to Limburger ownership.  This brick is a little past the final stage.  Should be good!  

I realized commitments and entanglements have been slowing down my consumption.  BUT if you take good care of your cheese, it can last good amount of time.  I do like to eat it at its most ripe.  This one is a little outside of their recommendations but it is good tonight.  I think it has been declining in potency, and will be a good reference point, compared to the new

eta
Comparison of the two brick,  both pretty tasty.

Cut the new 'fresher' brick, it is pretty ripe, moisture in the rind tell the story.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Who cut the cheese?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Dibs on guns
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting tidbit.

The very same bacteria that makes old people and feet smell, is the very same bacteria that gives Limburger it's classic funk.Brevibacteria.
Skeeters love it too.

Buon Appitito!!!

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
If you could put smell into words, what are we talking about here?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting tidbit.

The very same bacteria that makes old people and feet smell, is the very same bacteria that gives Limburger it's classic funk.Brevibacteria.
Skeeters love it too.

Buon Appitito!!!

View Quote

And coffee can have similar compounds as in a skunks ass.  I have a sensitive nose, and  If I can smell skunk in coffee and everyone still drinks it...well lets just it was a bit of an awakening for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I love it!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Funky cheese is the tastiest cheese.  Yum!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

a pile of dirty gym socks, but stronger.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Earthy, musty, sour yeast, these are older and most of the creamy sweetness is gone.  Hmm  Is say sweetly sulfury but not in a black powder sort of way.  

It is a room clearer.  One room over it just woke some one up.  So I would say strong enough to wake some one up.

It can be pretty intense, so I made a sammmich.  No Braunschweiger handy, so meatless we go.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:30:48 AM EDT
[#10]
So, what's it taste like?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's such a unique flavor, it's impossible, for me, to describe.

It's like trying to explain "blue" to a blind person. There's really no frame of reference if you've never had it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Why won't you dance with me?
I ain't no Limburger!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:42:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The base flavor is like a sharp white cheddar + with a mineral mustyness of brie.  It can be a little salty, less so in its more creamy form.  The dark yellow above is intensely salty.  I have to finish it soon.  It yearns for beer.  It doesnt smell like it tastes.  All bark in that category.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:45:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's like trying to explain "blue" to a blind person. There's really no frame of reference if you've never had it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is hard.  For as much as I have had, it is hard to describe.  I mean no one would eat sweaty socks, so it must be more than than.  I went back for a bit more, the person who it woke up made me put it away.  So no sample to eat while describing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And coffee can have similar compounds as in a skunks ass.  I have a sensitive nose, and  If I can smell skunk in coffee and everyone still drinks it...well lets just it was a bit of an awakening for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting tidbit.

Skeeters love it too.

Buon Appitito!!!

I can smell it also. I thought I was just imagining it
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Good on ya OP, eat what you like.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:39:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Smells like a diabetic foot I had to amputate once.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#20]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/_Y6YPjcQJ4g[/youtube]

Moe, Larry, the Cheese !!

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I have never tried it, but some kid left some in his locker in middle school, everyone got to enjoy it's odorificness for a few days until the management had enough and conducted a door to door search.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Its like poon that is funky bad, the odor says not to eat it, but what do some people do? They eat it anyway
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I attempted to try it once but could not get past the smell. It triggered my gag reflex any time I got it too close to my nose. Smelled like a bed sore ridden morbidly obese man who died in bed and lay there for a few days before discovery. At least that's the image that rushed to my mind on first whiff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Holy fucking shit, OP.  Your breath could probably kill old people or little children.  
Goddamn, son!

Dibs on guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I love me some stanky hard core bleu cheese but Limburger smells uniquely horrible.  Some say it tastes far better than it smells but dayum - I cant get it close enough to my mouth to taste.  That shits is nasty!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I prefer Liederkranz.
View Quote

http://itscheese.com/cheeses/liederkranz
http://www.gourmetretailer.com/top-story-dci_cheese_company_to_reintroduce_liederkranz_cheese-9401.html

Wow thanks for the heads up!  Ill have to try this out.  Looks like it is contract manufactured by the folks cranking out my Limburger.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#28]
There is only one plant in America that makes Limburger cheese and it is located just north of Monroe Wisconsin -- the cheese capital of America.  Very Swiss area.  I hunt just north of there.  I have had the limburger on a cheese sandwich is Monroe.  I thought it was tasty.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Smooth, brightly shining and fresh smell of feet.

Definitely on the "if I didn't know it tasted good I would be disgusted" side of odors.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#30]
That's the only cheese my grandmother would use when making cheeseburgers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting tidbit.

Skeeters love it too.

Buon Appitito!!!

I smell that darn skunk in every cup!

Limburger & Beer Kaese cheese are the best!  And some pickled pigs feet on the side.

Does that package have a manufacturer's address?  If so, pass it along.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#32]

woob woob woob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top