Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2016 11:32:20 PM EDT
Just found this, if it's true, WOW.  It absorbs 99.8% of not just visible light but also Ultraviolet, and Infrared.  It makes whatever it quotes essentially look like a black hole, obviously only really useful at night, but it basically makes things invisible.  It isn't black, it is the absence of light...

http://newatlas.com/vantablack-s-vis-spray/42298/?li_source=LI&li_medium=default-widget

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I want some of this shit for the photo studio.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
... could revolutionize camera and scope design
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Soaking up all the light is the absolute worst thing you can do at night when looking through NV.

Black objects stick out like a sore thumb.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The second picture reveals it doesn't soak up all light.  You can still see all the facial features
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The second picture reveals it doesn't soak up all light.  You can still see all the facial features
View Quote

They don't claim it does, just 99.8%
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
But what color is the dress?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems like soaking up ALL the light wouldn't be that helpful most times.  It would just make you stick out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:42:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Soaking up all the light is the absolute worst thing you can do at night when looking through NV.
Black objects stick out like a sore thumb.
View Quote

This. Anyone thinking this material is an invisibility cloak is going to be very disappointed. You need something that matches the ambient environment.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Johnny Cash would approve.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Very impressive.  Will greatly improve optical system contrast.  Probably make many optical test instruments considerably more precise.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#12]
They should turn that into the cover of the next Spinal Tap album.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Weak.  The "Cops" TV show has had this technology for 30yrs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought there was already an "invisibility" cloak. Wasn't it announced several years ago?

It actually works like the .gif of Predator posted above in that it somehow bends or directs light around itself or something.

IIRC it worked well if a person was standing still but didn't work or stood out if there was movement.

Anyone else remember that?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if this can be adapted to work with other parts of the spectrum - like radar for instance.

-K
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I thought there was already an "invisibility" cloak. Wasn't it announced several years ago?

It actually works like the .gif of Predator posted above in that it somehow bends or directs light around itself or something.

IIRC it worked well if a person was standing still but didn't work or stood out if there was movement.

View Quote
http://www.hyperstealth.com/Quantum-Stealth/ ?

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:07:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wonder if this can be adapted to work with other parts of the spectrum - like radar for instance.
-K

View Quote
It already does.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#18]
The stuff is basically a carbon nanotube forest and any waves of energy that radiate towards it gets captures and continually redirected "down" instead of "out".  The waves turn into heat since the energy has to do something.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hyperstealth.com/Quantum-Stealth/ ?

That's what I was thinking of. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#20]
the new coating will demand affirmative action.
Quotas will be issued for application of the new coating in required ratio to coatings of greater and lesser color saturation.

Eventually, after several generations, the colorless will be compelled, through meta-xenophobic guilt to make reparations to the newly developed color.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:09:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The stuff is basically a carbon nanotube forest and any waves of energy that radiate towards it gets captures and continually redirected "down" instead of "out".  The waves turn into heat since the energy has to do something.

https://youtu.be/EP0rH8IR22c

View Quote

Superblack?  

Sounds borderline racist!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:31:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I too have a lot of shit is visually stealth at night.
Damn visual stealth!...I closed my eyes for 2 seconds and lost my phone.

-found it!..

Actually it's about time we get some of the stuff we dreamed about when we
were kids!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Zaphod's attention however was elsewhere. His attention was riveted on the ship standing next to Hotblack Desiato's limo. His mouths hung open.
"That," he said, "that ... is really bad for the eyes ..."
Ford looked. He too stood astonished.
It was a ship of classic, simple design, like a flattened salmon, twenty yards long, very clean, very sleek. There was just one remarkable thing about it.
"It's so ... black!" said Ford Prefect, "you can hardly make out its shape ... light just seems to fall into it!"
Zaphod said nothing. He had simply fallen in love.
The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.
"Your eyes just slide off it ..." said Ford in wonder. It was an emotional moment. He bit his lip.
Zaphod moved forward to it, slowly, like a man possessed - or more accurately like a man who wanted to possess. His hand reached out to stroke it. His hand stopped. His hand reached out to stroke it again. His hand stopped again.
"Come and feel the surface," he said in a hushed voice.
Ford put his hand out to feel it. His hand stopped.
"You ... you can't ..." he said.
"See?" said Zaphod, "it's just totally frictionless. This must be one mother of a mover ..."
He turned to look at Ford seriously. At least, one of his heads did - the other stayed gazing in awe at the ship.
"What do you reckon, Ford?" he said.
"You mean ... er ..." Ford looked over his shoulder. "You mean stroll off with it? You think we should?"
"No."
"Nor do I."
"But we're going to, aren't we?"
"How can we not?"
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Basically a poncho with hundreds of tiny cameras across the back and a flexible screen on the front. It was heavy, unwieldy and didn't work too well, but it was still impressive.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Can it be used for album covers?

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Impressive against a laser.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Nothing new, Roadrunner used to use this on Wile E Coyote all the time
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#28]
its super toxic

Vanta black is made of carbon nano tubes. CNT's are guaranteed to give you cancer, much like asbestos.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

https://youtu.be/EP0rH8IR22c

View Quote
And heat is put out as infrared. Generally perfect absorbers are also perfect emitters.

Unless they have figured out some way to dump the heat off somewhere, that is going to start to light up under NV.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#30]
This could have excellent possibilities in LIDAR defense for motorists. There's a product called Veil that claims as much but fails, this could be the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#31]
That's racist
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#32]
i'm buying some to spray one on my black rifles
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

no.  the other one
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#34]
will it refuse to stand for national anthem?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
will it refuse to stand for national anthem?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#36]

May you roast for beating me to the Predator picture.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They should turn that into the cover of the next Spinal Tap album.
View Quote

How much more black could it get? The answer is: none. None more black.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This could have excellent possibilities in LIDAR defense for motorists. There's a product called Veil that claims as much but fails, this could be the real deal.
View Quote

What  I was thinking. On the front of my truck like a bra....
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you like lung cancer?
Because that's how you get lung cancer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do, it was pretty effective from a distance. Close up, not so much
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.

They DID in fact  perfect  such a device.

One of the researchers then left it turned on, and  it disappeared.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top