Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
P320, although the price of mags pisses me off.

G19 would be a great SHTF gun.

Semi-auto rifle trumps all handguns and some rifles or shotguns for SHTF, just for the record.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Stop.  Have you fondled a Gen 2 Glock yet without the finger grooves?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
You need a metal DA/SA like a beretta 92, sig 226 or a cz75
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will add this though...

Polymer + Striker + SHTF = dead

In fact it screams Glock...YMMV.

Fixed it for you.

Yeah, too bad none of our Special Forces or MARSOC guys made it home from the wars in the ME.  

It was like sending them out on suicide missions with those hand grenades.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a shotty.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For the readers who are actually earnest about shooting and not on here to dogmatically pimp their brand loyalty, any modern full-size/full capacity pistol from one of the major manufacturers will run.

The gun is the absolute least important part of the equation.  

View Quote

This...  My gen 3 g19 runs awesome, my Fnx runs awesome, My brothers mk25 runs awesome and so does my wife's m9.  Bunch of whiners lol.  Just pick something you shoot good with and has a reliable track record.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Get a shotty.
View Quote

Two blasts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Why are you running +p+ through it?  What do you hope to gain?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This...  My gen 3 g19 runs awesome, my Fnx runs awesome, My brothers mk25 runs awesome and so does my wife's m9.  Bunch of whiners lol.  Just pick something you shoot good with and has a reliable track record.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the readers who are actually earnest about shooting and not on here to dogmatically pimp their brand loyalty, any modern full-size/full capacity pistol from one of the major manufacturers will run.

Not a whole lotta difference, even though Im disengaging the safety and shooting a DA first shot

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Two blasts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a shotty.

Two blasts.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
PPQ M1 > VP9. I have them both and the PPQ is the better gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not a whole lotta difference, even though Im disengaging the safety and shooting a DA first shot

https://youtu.be/94ECiAVfB44

https://youtu.be/oDqdlixNqwE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/94ECiAVfB44

https://youtu.be/oDqdlixNqwE

As long as it goes pew.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't like polymer framed handguns, but if I had to get stuck with one, an HK USP9 Compact, or an HK USP45 would be my option right at this point in time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The answer is very obvious, first a VP9 and then a P320 if not the VP9. Wish I could answer about the Walther but I don't have any experience with it but I do with Glock and it's not the answer at all so I agree with you there.

I've put 14,000+ through my VP9 so I shoot as much or more than you would plan on doing.

Good luck.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeez, the glock fag fan boys got in a tizzy fast...

Look closer at the PPQ M2 Navy model. It's made for adverse conditions,  and has several interesting features such as drain ports and coatings. The ergos are awesome and the trigger is better than a VP9. I was looking in a similar manner to your search and I'm glad I bought the PPQ.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You boys will spend hours online debating the merits of X gun vs. Y and striker vs. DA/SA but won't dry fire for ten minutes a night.

But that's none of my business...

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/1079ishot.com/files/2014/06/Lipton_Kermit-630x422.png

View Quote

What's your dry fire routine?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Ensure firearm is safe, pull trigger...

Sorry I couldn't help it.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just picked up a gen 2 G17 and I fucking love it.  I've been a staunch 1911 guy for years but I honestly want to get rid of all my pistols and replace them with G17s now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You boys will spend hours online debating the merits of X gun vs. Y and striker vs. DA/SA but won't dry fire for ten minutes a night.

But that's none of my business...

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/1079ishot.com/files/2014/06/Lipton_Kermit-630x422.png

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Best track record?? L-O-L.

There is a reason no major military uses them
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock duh.  Best track record, mag availability, parts availability, many people could probably fashion spare parts with paper clips and chewing gum if necessary

They don't have a manual safety. That's it. That is the only reason you don't see more military use of them. A military sources weapons for the lowest common denominator. SHTF conditions would equate to irregular warfare and the groups that do that best often choose Glocks. The regular military uses the M9. You really think that it is the best? It has been fraught with problems throughout it's service life.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They don't have a manual safety. That's it. That is the only reason you don't see more military use of them. A military sources weapons for the lowest common denominator. SHTF conditions would equate to irregular warfare and the groups that do that best often choose Glocks. The regular military uses the M9. You really think that it is the best? It has been fraught with problems throughout it's service life.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock duh.  Best track record, mag availability, parts availability, many people could probably fashion spare parts with paper clips and chewing gum if necessary

There are some people, especially officers and those of another gender that must have sucked some serious dick to get their own M9, who should never ever be issued them because the manual has given them a false sense of security and makes them believe that it is still okay to finger fuck it and an ND happens, all due to a bad habit that the manual safety gave to them because they are complete idiots to begin with.

I'm talking so stupid that for some of them when they clear their M9's at the chow halls, they rack a round, then drop the mag, and give that surprise face when it goes off
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
EDIT: For those commenting, yes I realize a rifle is primary, this is just about sidearms. Also forgot to mention 9mm only.

Hello,

After years of only using all-metal DA/SAs, I'm looking for a new full size poly/striker pistol. Glock is still an option, but the ergos make my hands angry, so it's off to the side for now. At this point it between the main German-made strikers: P320, VP9, AND PPQ M2. This is a gun for "that time": expected to be very reliable, stand up to adverse outdoor conditions where good cleaning/maintenance might not be possible, and be accurate.
- I've shot them once each, and the feel was pretty good on all, though I dont have enough trigger time to know if I significantly prefer the ergos of one over the others.

- Plan on running it with a can frequently.
- Running a good amount of +P/+P+ through it.
- Eventually putting on a red dot.

So, can anyone can anyone comment on comparative...
- Mechanical reliability
- Accuracy (assuming best barrels for both/possibly custom match)
- Resistance to elements or rough handling/drop
- Internal safeties
- Trigger: do any get significantly better or worse over time?
- Any mag/feed issues.

Also, since I doubt the zombies are coming any time soon, its mainly for practice, and I want it to be something I can't shoot for a number of years without have to toss or constantly refurbish (I usually go 150-250 rounds a week)

Thanks.

View Quote

an XD would make a great option for you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel very comfortable with an m9. All guns have problems, especially when subjected to the .mils track record if changing springs like never.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Polymer + Striker + SHTF = dead

Fixed it for you.

Says the guy with XDM in his profile name.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EDIT: For those commenting, yes I realize a rifle is primary, this is just about sidearms. Also forgot to mention 9mm only.

Hello,

After years of only using all-metal DA/SAs, I'm looking for a new full size poly/striker pistol. Glock is still an option, but the ergos make my hands angry, so it's off to the side for now. At this point it between the main German-made strikers: P320, VP9, AND PPQ M2. This is a gun for "that time": expected to be very reliable, stand up to adverse outdoor conditions where good cleaning/maintenance might not be possible, and be accurate.
- I've shot them once each, and the feel was pretty good on all, though I dont have enough trigger time to know if I significantly prefer the ergos of one over the others.

- Mechanical reliability
- Internal safeties
- Any mag/feed issues.

Also, since I doubt the zombies are coming any time soon, its mainly for practice, and I want it to be something I can't shoot for a number of years without have to toss or constantly refurbish (I usually go 150-250 rounds a week)

Thanks.

So you hate Glocks and would never recommend them, but then you go and recommend an XD?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I have G17 and P320.  Both are excellent.  P320 is far more accurate though.

I have fired the PPQ and VP9 and like them.  Just don't have the need to buy them so I don't own them.

Truth be told, ALL of these guns are good enough to meet your requirements.  It all comes down to how they fit your hands, your NPOA with them, and access availability - does anyone make a holster that meets your carrying requirements.

In SHTF, you have to think of parts and ammo availability.  GLOCK parts will be everywhere compared to the others.  Everywhere.

9mm will be everywhere.  From all my in depth study on zombie terminal ballistics (watching Walking Dead), 9mm will work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, I mainly wanted to go striker-fired, and poly frames seem part and parcel. But, I'm also trying to a feel for the whole lighter gun/simpler parts paradigm that in now, and see how it compares to what I'm used too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you wanting to get away from metal frames, da/sa or both?

Well, I mainly wanted to go striker-fired, and poly frames seem part and parcel. But, I'm also trying to a feel for the whole lighter gun/simpler parts paradigm that in now, and see how it compares to what I'm used too.

If you really want a striker get a VP9 or an M&P.

The Sig 320 is dumb with its high bore axis and the trigger is not is good as people say in my experience.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Without having read a single word in the OP or any responses:

Glock 19 with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL, Trijicon Night Sights, a Glock 17 mag and 2x33 round mags loaded with 124 grain Gold Dot +P's.  

It's what plants crave.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hello,

- Mechanical reliability
- Internal safeties
- Any mag/feed issues.

Thanks.

Never that piece of Croatian shit. Shit bore axis, shit egos, looks like shit and is as expensive as shit that doesn't stink.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Honestly, with your Criteria, get a Glock.  They are the simplest of the four listed and will easily last the longest.  

From the other three though, I can say that I hate the VP9, am convinced that the PPQ has one of the greatest triggers ever put on a non-1911 pistol, and have yet to shoot a P320.  

FWIW, my PPQ is my most shot 9mm pistol in the house, My wife and 3 kids love it because it's so easy that it makes you look good. I don't know jack about the durability, but mine has over 20K rounds on it now, and hasn't had a single issue.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#30]
G17/19
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

You want a WML on a fighting pistol.  Gen2 = no rail
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#32]
GLOVK 19 BRO
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Polymer + Striker + SHTF = Glock

View Quote

Try a gen4 G17...it seems to have ergos that work much better than the gen3 or 19/26

Converted me from Sigs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your logic is flawed. Glocks are much cheaper to produce then a beretta. Name problems the beretta has that normal  maintenance would not fix?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Your logic is flawed. Glocks are much cheaper to produce then a beretta. Name problems the beretta has that normal  maintenance would not fix?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magazines that would not feed, slides that cracked, slides that broke in half, and the ability to strip the slide from the frame in hand to hand.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Magazines that would not feed, slides that cracked, slides that broke in half, and the ability to strip the slide from the frame in hand to hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Original factory mags and slides were crap yes. But newer generations are perfect. Original glocks blew up. And the slide removal thing has never happened in real combat. A lot of herp derp on the Internet and stories but not real credible proof.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now he will just claim that a new gun should be bought after 5000 rounds are fired and the old one thrown in the trash with the AKs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jet li could only do that because the lever was already flipped down.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Original factory mags and slides were crap yes. But newer generations are perfect. Original glocks blew up. And the slide removal thing has never happened in real combat. A lot of herp derp on the Internet and stories but not real credible proof.
View Quote

Other than sentimental attachment because you used to shoot one when you were n the army, I can't think of any reason why someone would choose the Beretta 92 as a defensive pistol.  They are not cheap.  They have a DA/SA trigger system designed by bureaucrats which has long been obsolete.  They have a retarded safety located on the slide which is very difficult to manipulate.  The grip is huge by any standard.  They are not known for their reliability.  The only possible advantage I can think of is that is has a weak extractor designed such that you can shoot it without a magazine by dropping rounds in the chamber one at a time.

Almost any other pistol mentioned in this thread would be a better choice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I like my M&P pro core with RMR.  It's by far my favorite pistol to shoot.  It's been 100% reliable with everything from cheap reloads to +p.  

If I take a new shooter to the range it's always their favorite too.  My dad is 60 and not a big gun fan but he always asks me to bring the pistol that fancy sight on it.  

The VP9 I shot was nice and I'd like to shoot a PPQ one day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#41]
If you grabbed from the top it was very easy to separate the slide.

The factory in MD was opened because of the other problems with the M9.
I didn't mention the frames cracking because it wasn't a safety factor to the Army.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Glock 17/19.

For true SHTF, remember that a 19 can take 17 mags... but a 17 cannot take 19 mags.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Other than sentimental attachment because you used to shoot one when you were n the army, I can't think of any reason why someone would choose the Beretta 92 as a defensive pistol.  They are not cheap.  They have a DA/SA trigger system designed by bureaucrats which has long been obsolete.  They have a retarded safety located on the slide which is very difficult to manipulate.  The grip is huge by any standard.  They are not known for their reliability.  The only possible advantage I can think of is that is has a weak extractor designed such that you can shoot it without a magazine by dropping rounds in the chamber one at a time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One mans opinion. They fit my hand perfect. I grew up with 1911 style safety's and prefer the beretta's. I use decocker only. Double action first plus single after. Single action pull is better then any glock trigger.
I trust my life to them and the lives of my family. I have shoot over 40,000 rounds out of beretta's.
Here is my babies.

</a>Untitled by 1911xmd, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you grabbed from the top it was very easy to separate the slide.

The factory in MD was opened because of the other problems with the M9.
I didn't mention the frames cracking because it wasn't a safety factor to the Army.
View Quote

Name of time it actually happened.
This stupid movie does not count. Rigged from the start as the gun would not even fire in this state.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Since you don't favor Glocks......

FNH FNS-9

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I would make myself like the Glock.  But if you insist, then I think you'll like the VP9.  I like mine a lot and it has never missed a beat yet.  But I still prefer to carry a Glock over it though because the Glock feels like an old friend.

I have no experience with the PPQ or P320 though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you wanting to get away from metal frames, da/sa or both?

Have you considered a CZ P-09?

Good price, DA/SA so there is some familiarity to you and polymer that holds a lot of bullets (19). Might be a good middle road.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And zero of them are major units like I said before
But I will cut you some slack because dead space 2 is one of the greatest games ever!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize the Glock 19 is in use by MARSOC, NSW, AFSOC, and Army SOF, right? Brits carry the G17. There's a handful of Nordic countries that Glocks too, I'm sure there's others but that's all I know of.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

And zero of them are major units like I said before
But I will cut you some slack because dead space 2 is one of the greatest games ever!

None of those are "major" units? You seem like a major unit..
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#49]
First post.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Sig 226/228
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top