Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/29/2016 4:13:36 PM EDT
EDIT: For those commenting, yes I realize a rifle is primary, this is just about sidearms. Also forgot to mention 9mm only.

Hello,

After years of only using all-metal DA/SAs, I'm looking for a new full size poly/striker pistol. Glock is still an option, but the ergos make my hands angry, so it's off to the side for now. At this point it between the main German-made strikers: P320, VP9, AND PPQ M2. This is a gun for "that time": expected to be very reliable, stand up to adverse outdoor conditions where good cleaning/maintenance might not be possible, and be accurate.
- I've shot them once each, and the feel was pretty good on all, though I dont have enough trigger time to know if I significantly prefer the ergos of one over the others.

- Plan on running it with a can frequently.
- Running a good amount of +P/+P+ through it.
- Eventually putting on a red dot.

So, can anyone can anyone comment on comparative...
- Mechanical reliability
- Accuracy (assuming best barrels for both/possibly custom match)
- Resistance to elements or rough handling/drop
- Internal safeties
- Trigger: do any get significantly better or worse over time?
- Any mag/feed issues.

Also, since I doubt the zombies are coming any time soon, its mainly for practice, and I want it to be something I can't shoot for a number of years without have to toss or constantly refurbish (I usually go 150-250 rounds a week)

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you have a good rifle for SHTF.  If not a Glock, try the VP9.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
SIG P320
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I will add this though...

Polymer + Striker + SHTF = Glock

In fact it screams Glock...YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#4]
If you really cant bring yourself to have a glock for your SHTF side arm, my next choice would be a VP9.  I like the ergos on the VP9 and while I havnt shot the one I bought a whole lot it does seem reliable.  I would be grabbing my G17 when the fan was struck
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Polymer + Striker + SHTF = dead

View Quote

Fixed it for you.
You need a metal DA/SA like a beretta 92, sig 226 or a cz75
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you wanting to get away from metal frames, da/sa or both?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
G17, G19.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Yeah...you didn't fix shit...thanks though.

And yes, i own an m9a1 and a mk 25...your post = dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

I will buy that mark25 off you and give it s good home since you think a glock is better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#10]
For the scenero you mention, I would go with a HK USPT .45 all day long. Ergos aren't as good as the VP, its hammer fired and not 9mm. However, I would prefer to make larger holes in the FSA uprising zombies and as reliably as possible. The USPT would be my only choice hands down. It's reliably proven to fire 300k rounds without failure, threaded barrel, match trigger, raised sights, and built like a tank right out of the box. Plus, most .45 ACP is subsonic anyway and makes a big ass hole.

If I had to choose a 9mm striker fired weapon, a Glock 17 MOS and aftermarket threaded barrel would be my second choice.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For the scenero you mention, I would go with a HK USPT .45 all day long. Ergos aren't as good as the VP, its hammer fired and not 9mm. However, I would prefer to make larger holes in the FSA uprising zombies and as reliably as possible. The USPT would be my only choice hands down. It's reliably proven to fire 300k rounds without failure, threaded barrel, match trigger, raised sights, can shoot .45 super out of it and built like a tank right out of the box. Plus, most .45 ACP is subsonic anyway and makes a big ass hole.

If I had to choose a 9mm striker fired weapon, a Glock 17 MOS and aftermarket threaded barrel would be my second choice.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Polymer + Striker + SHTF = Glock

View Quote

This.  

Much better choices of accessories and much more proven ruggedness compared to the other three.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The answer is very obvious, first a VP9 and then a P320 if not the VP9. Wish I could answer about the Walther but I don't have any experience with it but I do with Glock and it's not the answer at all so I agree with you there.

I've put 14,000+ through my VP9 so I shoot as much or more than you would plan on doing.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If it was good enough for CSM Basil Plumley it is good enough for me, I'll take a brace of 1911s.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
VP 40

as common as 9mm but a bit more flash
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SIG P320
View Quote

This is my vote, I love mine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Srsly?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#18]
OP I'd go with Glock, M&P or Sig P320.

But in all seriousness in SHTF you need a rifle. Suppressed, with an RDS or 1-4X optic.

Pistols are a secondary weapon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

This is either sarcasm or one of the dumbest technical posts in a long time.

OP, go with a Glock 17.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For the scenero you mention, I would go with a HK USPT .45 all day long. Ergos aren't as good as the VP, its hammer fired and not 9mm. However, I would prefer to make larger holes in the FSA uprising zombies and as reliably as possible. The USPT would be my only choice hands down. It's reliably proven to fire 300k rounds without failure, threaded barrel, match trigger, raised sights, and built like a tank right out of the box. Plus, most .45 ACP is subsonic anyway and makes a big ass hole.

View Quote

SMH...
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Glock duh.  Best track record, mag availability, parts availability, many people could probably fashion spare parts with paper clips and chewing gum if necessary
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glock duh.  Best track record, mag availability, parts availability, many people could probably fashion spare parts with paper clips and chewing gum if necessary
View Quote

Best track record?? L-O-L.
There is a reason no major military uses them
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is proof that it doesn't have the best track record, the internet has valuable verified sources to prove otherwise. How many mags can you take with you? Parts, parts, parts, parts...I have a bin full of them and have never needed them for my other guns...with the exception of one 1911 that needed them because after 20,000+ rounds it was beat to shit.

It's a tool, nothing special about it or what I like because it all falls down on subjectivity.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I mainly wanted to go striker-fired, and poly frames seem part and parcel. But, I'm also trying to a feel for the whole lighter gun/simpler parts paradigm that in now, and see how it compares to what I'm used too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#25]
If you want simplicity and easy take-down/detail stripping, the Glock is the only answer.  

The MK25 you have now is still a more reliable, longer lasting gun than a Glock.   I have a MK25 and a Gen 4 17.  I'd be comfortable with either but the Sig is my HD pistol with an X300 mounted.  I prefer a hammer for off body/bedside type use.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, I mainly wanted to go striker-fired, and poly frames seem part and parcel. But, I'm also trying to a feel for the whole lighter gun/simpler parts paradigm that in now, and see how it compares to what I'm used too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore the dinosaurs who refuse to accept the quality of polymer framed pistols.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I am not a fan boy but a glock would be my choice.

I have a 1911 colt, sig229 and a vp9. Like them all and trust them. Just the glock is lighter and if I was packing for a shtf speed wins.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I would vote the glock 19 or beretta 92FS
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize the Glock 19 is in use by MARSOC, NSW, AFSOC, and Army SOF, right? Brits carry the G17. There's a handful of Nordic countries that Glocks too, I'm sure there's others but that's all I know of.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You do realize the Glock 19 is in use by MARSOC, NSW, AFSOC, and Army SOF, right? Brits carry the G17. There's a handful of Nordic countries that Glocks too, I'm sure there's others but that's all I know of.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And zero of them are major units like I said before
But I will cut you some slack because dead space 2 is one of the greatest games ever!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:44:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But I will cut you some slack because dead space 2 is one of the greatest games ever!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOCOM isn't a "major unit"?  The British Army isn't a major force?  Actually I can't remember if it was just the SAS or the whole British Army that adopted them.  Either way I think you're barking up the wrong tree.  If our tip of the spear type guys are using them, I'm not sure why you'd cite the fact that it's not in general use by the Big Army.  So what.   And I'm not a fanboy either.  I like M9's, 1911's, whatever works for you.  He wants striker fired, Blocks are hard to beat.  Of course so are some of the other guns.  I say you pic what you like, run some ammo through it.   Make sure it runs and learn if it has any issues to deal with.  Then trust it after looking into and shooting the piss out of it for a bit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire British military isn't a "major unit"?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:35:11 AM EDT
[#33]
OP I say Glock, either 17 or 19 running 17 mags for the larger capacity. Every weapon can and may fail at some point, but Glocks have proven to be extremely reliable for me and many others. Common parts, mag availability, yada yada yada. Eats practically any ammo, and replacement parts are easily found if ever needed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

British Armed Forces, French Special Forces, Latvian Militay, Norwegian military, Swedish armed forces, and numerous other Eastern European countries use Glock. Not to mention some of the largest federal agencies in the world. And anyways why does it matter if a countries military chooses it? If anything I would prefer a firearm that was chosen at the operator level by the trigger pullers themselves such as our own special forces. And if some of our highest trained unconventional forces aren't considered a "major unit", then what the hell is?

And I'm not a Glock fanboy by any means. It isn't my first choice in firearm but to say it is a poor choice because it isn't used by the military is unreasonable.

Edit: OP let's face reality here, any of your choices would work just fine. Reputable manufactures and they will all stand behind their product. You most likely will never get around to replacing a recoil spring let alone need to worry about other parts durability.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sig, CZ, and Beretta all have quality offerings that are polymer framed yet maintain a hammer if you want to retain da/sa.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only Brit special forces use them. And we don't care about anything the Brits do. murika
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Now that's some funny shit right there...

I really hope you were going for sarcasm or trolling, otherwise this is one retarded ass post...

There is a reason SOCOM and MARSOC chose the G19 over other options

I have both the Sig P226 and Beretta M9 and love both of them... But my Glock 17/19 are solid performers and probably more reliable than either of them...

Kudos for making me laugh this early though

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I really hope you were going for sarcasm or trolling, otherwise this is one retarded ass post...

I have both the Sig P226 and Beretta M9 and love both of them... But my Glock 17/19 are solid performers and probably more reliable than either of them...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Tupperware belongs in the kitchen not on the range
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
VP 40

as common as 9mm but a bit more flash
View Quote

VP... 9  I don't think the OP is a girl, so he can skip the .40...  

The OP really needs to handle a VP9 and a Glock 17 side by side.  Your choice will be very obvious.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't own any Glocks currently but have owned 4 or 5 over the past few years. They're undeniably great pistols.

My Gen 4 23 stovepiped a few times.

My Gen 2 17 was having issues until I replaced the recoil and striker spring and used new magazines.

No problems with Gen 3 19/26.

I do want a bone stock Gen 3 19 badly though.  That's my favorite pistol in the world.  I'm just trying the M&P thang  right now. I like it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Glocks are undeniably great when it comes to disassembly and parts replacement. However of late Glock cannot put out a decent pistol without having to replace extractors, ejectors, trigger parts ,ETC......   This is sad as they were once good pistols

The Gen 2 or early gen 3 before the MIM fiasco would be the only models I would consider, and then that damned hump would have to be eliminated for it to fit right.

VP9 is my choice followed by USPs and M&Ps
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Glocks are undeniably great when it comes to disassembly and parts replacement. However of late Glock cannot put out a decent pistol without having to replace extractors, ejectors, trigger parts ,ETC......   This is sad as they were once good pistols

The Gen 2 or early gen 3 before the MIM fiasco would be the only models I would consider, and then that damned hump would have to be eliminated for it to fit right.

VP9 is my choice followed by USPs and M&Ps
View Quote

I will say I agree with this concern.  But really you need to test any pistol you buy.  Glock seems to put out more turds than they used to, but then again, there are a lot of happy customers even with the newer guns.  You just have to make sure it extracts.  Brass to the face is annoying though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Only Brit special forces use them. And we don't care about anything the Brits do. murika
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may want to contact the MoD and tell them their info is wrong:

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/23797.aspx
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#45]
M9A3 /thread.

Not poly striker fired but if the shits really hitting the fan and it had to be 9mm for a side arm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Just throwing this out there: CZ SP-01 Phantom

Accurate, polymer frame, Picatinny rail and 18 round mags. DA/SA though, so doesn't necessarily fit your criteria totally.

Love mine, it's really accurate. Good enough for the Czech Army
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
M9A3 /thread.

Not poly striker fired but if the shits really hitting the fan and it had to be 9mm for a side arm.
View Quote

Going on 4 months of waiting for mine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#48]
You boys will spend hours online debating the merits of X gun vs. Y and striker vs. DA/SA but won't dry fire for ten minutes a night.

But that's none of my business...

For the readers who are actually earnest about shooting and not on here to dogmatically pimp their brand loyalty, any modern full-size/full capacity pistol from one of the major manufacturers will run.

The gun is the absolute least important part of the equation.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Glock is the obvious choice for SHTF.  Cheap.  Reliable.  You won't have enough ammo to wear one out.  Also, parts and spare mags are common.

If you really want something other than a Glock, the H&K P30 with the light LEM trigger is the bees knees.  That said, you can buy two Glocks for what one costs.  Actually, that isn't a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Glock 34 MOS with an RMR and threaded barrel.  

Add a suppressor, white light, infrared laser and/or 33 round mags as necessary depending on the situation.  A lot of firepower and utility in a relatively small set up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top