Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/29/2016 4:02:33 PM EDT
Make employees leave them in their lockers during work hours or let them carry and use them unrestricted?

What's the hives consensus?

Update

Thanks for the input.  Background is a warehouse manufacturing facility. I've had a "use your discretion" policy up till today. Increasingly we've had a handful of employees abuse it. We've definitely seen lowered productivity and a few near misses.

All I've demanded with the new policy is personal phones be left in car locker or office during work hours not including breaks. I've also told them if something important or serious is going on to just ask me and I'll allow them a short term exception.... like waiting for a doctor to call back or if they have a sick child.

My lord you'd think I've demanded they give half their check to United Way and three pints of blood to the Red Cross.

I guess they can go elsewhere if its that oppressive.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say they keep.  May have to respond to a family emergency.  As far as use that would depend on the job and if it's a safety problem.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
We are transitioning to a no cell phones on the production floor.

People are pissed.

Today I walked by a guy and glanced at his phone.
Had a picture of a dick on his phone.
Can't unsee that.

I think I'm going to be ok w/o cell phones on the floor.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Three cel phones, two tablets, laptop, desktop....

But I'm in IT, so... there's that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Three cel phones, two tablets, cell modem, laptop, desktop....

But I'm in IT, so there's that...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say they keep.  May have to respond to a family emergency.  As far as use that would depend on the job and if it's a safety problem.
View Quote

Such as people would have before cell phones were so common place?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
you better not let me catch you on a cell phone in my shop. You will be talking outside with no job.  I have never hired anyone to talk on the phone except salesmen. How the hell did it ever get to the place where you were supposed to be doing something other then working? I pay people to work,, not socialize on the phone. If there is an emergency, call the office, we will go get whoever needs gotten.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Three cel phones, two tablets, cell modem, laptop, desktop....

But I'm in IT, so there's that...
View Quote

Redundant systems appear to be working well Sir.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Totally depends on the type of business.

Desk work - employees keep them.

Assembly line - maybe not.

I sit in front of a computer all day. If I was told I couldn't keep my phone nearby, I'd be looking for a new job ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Totally depends on the type of business.

Desk work - employees keep them.

Assembly line - maybe not.

I sit in front of a computer all day. If I was told I couldn't keep my phone nearby, I'd be looking for a new job ASAP.
View Quote

Yep job dependent.

My office gave me a smart phone to use.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
None on the production floor. Termination if found. Of course supervisors and managers can have them and techs have company flip phones so we are linked with the PLC systems. One supervisor constantly is on her phone on the floor playing games or texting her peeps. She's someone's special snowflake and gets away with it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd say depends on the job...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the main reasons I originally got a cell phone was for work.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
These threads generally break down along blue collar/white collar lines.  

My cell phone is just one of two dozen computing devices I have within arms reach at the moment, and I haven't verbally spoken to or seen my "manager" in two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#16]
No cell phones. If you are caught with one in the building you are fired.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

People are pissed.

Can't unsee that.

View Quote

What's his screen name?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#19]
You're not my supervisor!!!!!!

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Work from home so yeah.. lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#21]
They're not allowed where I work but everyone does it anyway.  I usually have to charge my phone at least once a day at work looking for deals on shooting stuff and reading Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I've seen a guy at work come out of a trailer onto a forklift dock while staring at his phone and not paying attention. Forklift operator wasn't paying attention either and had his blades too high. Took the phone guy's foot off.

No cell phones should be used at my place of employment.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Phones are allowed in offices and break rooms. Not allowed in process areas.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What's his screen name?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are pissed.

Can't unsee that.

What's his screen name?

Carlos Danger
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#26]
It's OK, as long as you're stripping people of their CCWs and pocket knives too... I mean hey, if you want to strip people of the tools that they have available to respond to emergencies, then more power to oyu
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I've worked places that required me to turn it off and leave it at the front gate or in my car due to the camera.  Other places allowed certain people to have cell phones and any pictures you needed were either taken by specific people or your phone was searched.

Where I work now is manufacturing and our policy is only maintenance and certain managers can have a phone on the floor.  We have a call in number for employee's relatives to call in if there is an emergency.  I'm not the cell phone police but if people are watching YouTube videos or social media stuff instead of the line or driving a forklift I'm going to say something.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's OK, as long as you're stripping people of their CCWs and pocket knives too... I mean hey, if you want to strip people of the tools that they have available to respond to emergencies, then more power to oyu
View Quote

Sounds like you're one of those oppressed shop labor types who want to keep his phone.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Production, heavy equipment, driving, no brainer. I'm in IT and we started to have laptops closed and no cellphones during meeting so that people pay attention.  It it's an emergency, stop what your doing and be safe.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Emergencies were going on and being addressed for hundreds of years before the cell phone, it's not a valid response to say a personal cell phone is needed at work. Every business I've ever worked at or been to has a phone. If you are not responsible enough to provide your work phone number to the people you believe would need you in an emergency then that's your problem.

Cell phones should not be allowed at work, period. Unless it is a company provided cell phone due to your job duties. I am quite sure that the amount of time wasted, and the emergencies actually created by the stupid fucking cell phones outweigh the number of actual emergencies that have been addressed by cell phone. Yeah, I'm an old fart, I was around when you didn't need area codes and there was a rotary dial on the phone. And yeah, I use my cell daily, but the amount of fucking off done by cell phone as witnessed on a daily basis leads to me to believe that we've probably lost 50% of our productivity by those that can't put them down at work.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#32]
All depends on the type of job.  I work IT with my cubicle in one building and two different data centers in buildings about three miles apart where I can potentially be doing work, so a cell phone is part of my basic work equipment.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes, my God what did people do?

1. People learned to plan ahead and be independent.
2. Not so many helicopter moms.
3. Children grew into adults.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such as people would have before cell phones were so common place?

A.W.D.

Yes, my God what did people do?

1. People learned to plan ahead and be independent.
2. Not so many helicopter moms.
3. Children grew into adults.

This is such a lame response. You don't think those strong, independent adults of the past would have availed themselves of this technology, had it been available?

I like to bemoan the "good old days" as much as anyone else, but be realistic about it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Jeez, man, depends on the job!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Emergencies were going on and being addressed for hundreds of years before the cell phone, it's not a valid response to say a personal cell phone is needed at work. Every business I've ever worked at or been to has a phone. If you are not responsible enough to provide your work phone number to the people you believe would need you in an emergency then that's your problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, and people pulled through Polio with the Iron Lung for hundreds of years before the Polio vaccine was invented, so why should we change right? Fuck the vaccine, let's go back to iron lungs!

Cell phones should not be allowed at work, period. Unless it is a company provided cell phone due to your job duties. I am quite sure that the amount of time wasted, and the emergencies actually created by the stupid fucking cell phones outweigh the number of actual emergencies that have been addressed by cell phone. Yeah, I'm an old fart, I was around when you didn't need area codes and there was a rotary dial on the phone. And yeah, I use my cell daily, but the amount of fucking off done by cell phone as witnessed on a daily basis leads to me to believe that we've probably lost 50% of our productivity by those that can't put them down at work.

Cell phones cause people to goof off just like guns cause people to murder other people... What the fuck is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly

I carry two phones (different providers)

My company MUST be able to call me 24x7
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I couldn't give a fuck less what my guys do with their phones as long as they aren't being unsafe or wasting an undue amount of paid time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Violation of policy for us in some areas, union will not fight it. We all had to sign and we know the policy. G phone's only.

Get caught having it when it's a no-no, time on the beach.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Some people abuse it at my work but I enjoy the mental break even if it's just for a couple seconds while the machine is running.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#40]
The hell with the Company Lockers: I keep my phone in my locked car.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I had people fired for using them while on the floor. Kind of hard to do your job when constantly texting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I wish I didn't have an electronic leash on me at work. They can find my anywhere I go now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#43]
My work doesn't care as long as my work is completely on time and correctly.  I do work for a mobile carrier however.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.. McDonald's employee, no. Car sales, yes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Jeez, man, depends on the job!
View Quote

In GD there can only be one answer for all situations.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I say it depends on what your job function is
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

This is becoming a real issue, and I really haven't heard any solid solutions yet.

I am a field tech for a communications company, last summer I had a new hire ride out with me for a few days as part of his training. He was a very young guy, hired to do what I do. During the time he rode with me he was tapping on his phone constantly, to the point when I got out of the truck to do work, he was supposed to follow and participate, he would just set in the truck most of the time, not even bothering to ask me what the issue was when I got back.

I have been in several retail stores, and the cashier was on their phone the entire time, or texting and paying far more attention to that than the customer.

It is very unprofessional, and really kills productivity. I don't see banning the use of cellular devices as being the fix for every situation, but it is obvious that restrictions need to be placed and enforced.
View Quote

Well, that's just the thing. It doesn't kill productivity. You have a few worthless fucks who use their cell phone in a way like you've explained and others who use it as a quick way to recharge or get their mind off of the mind numbing crap they are doing.

Working in retail my company found a 30 percent drop in productivity when it banned cell phones as well as a 15 percent decrease in recidivism. It's also very unsafe to not allow workers to have cell phones in a store environment as it allows pictures to be taken off theft, phone calls to be made for robberies, etc. It's also a great tool for comparing prices online for a customer.

Now that I work in IT I refuse to work at any job that even hints about cell phone policy. It's such a useful tool and those that don't use it are slowly finding themselves out performed by "those lazy millenials".
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Lol

Your family should have your work number to get in touch with you in case of an emergency.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol

Your family should have your work number to get in touch with you in case of an emergency.

Because emergencies at work don't happen? Carlos getting a finger sliced off is a good time to go tell Ted in the office up stairs that we need to get an ambulance out here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top