User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh lord....go outside every once in a while and learn some shit
View Quote

My head is sun burnt from going outside.

#NoThanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I can recommend a hanging gong.

either drill some 2x4 sections at angles and use rebar to support it or use an MOA a-frame stand

using conduit tubing is my preferred method, it's light, easy to cut, shrugs off bullet frag, and is super cheap

if you need it heavier or if you decide to set it up and leave it, black gas pipes are heavier but will hold a massive target.  the heavy tubing helps keep the target very stable under rapid fire, which can set other target stands to bucking hard.  it's my favorite setup for precision shooting

if you get one of the tab mounted targets, put a couple of deck screws in there if you hit hard and fast

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've got their pistol spinner, dueling tree, and a small hanging target. All are awesome!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MOA targets.

Yup

I've got their pistol spinner, dueling tree, and a small hanging target. All are awesome!

MOA Targets are the only ones worth considering.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
MOA Targets.  All you need.  I've shot them.  The star, Mozambique, hostage, all worked great.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or just EDM it, you'll only be able to make one target per day, but man will that edge be nice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have some waterjet AR500 targets. A relative of mine runs a big fab shop and gave me some. They cut targets for quite a few people.
View Quote

Cool!
Do they sell them or just to you local guys?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as target selection, just call em up and say "I need a target that will frustrate the hell out of me by pointing out the fundamental shortcomings of my technique"

Mitch will be all like "Say no more, fam"
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow this is a fickle website!  When I asked in Feb Shooting Targets 7 was the goto place.  Awesome targets and great service BTW!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have ordered from these guys 3 or 4 times. http://www.shootsteel.com/ I have 5 targets from them they all look nearly as clean cut as water jet, could be laser though.
View Quote

I got a couple from them.
Those are laser cut.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As far as target selection, just call em up and say "I need a target that will frustrate the hell out of me by pointing out the fundamental shortcomings of my technique"

Mitch will be all like "Say no more, fam"
View Quote

That's why I only got 8' targets.

Of course, I mostly shoot my CCW pistol.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow this is a fickle website!  When I asked in Feb Shooting Targets 7 was the goto place.  Awesome targets and great service BTW!!!!!
View Quote

MOA is a member.
I think that's why.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Atlas Target Works - they're members, and also you can see some of my work on their site. I did the logo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]

I've got a dueling tree and a snipers paradise from The Target Man.

Their free standing portable stands are the shit.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Look at the edges of the pic above.

Laser, plasma, or flame cut is going to lose a little of it's temper around the heat affected zone.

The only way around that is water jet.

Which I've never seen from a steel target manufacturer.

ETA: Besides, you are back peddling from your original statement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you can but unless you buy a full 4x8 sheet of it you will not be close to MOA's prices also if not cut properly you will lose the heat treat all around the edge

Laser, plasma, or flame cut is going to lose a little of it's temper around the heat affected zone.

I (MOA) use a laser. Heat affected zone is about 1/32" wide on 3/8".

Still at the range right now. Will chime in this afternoon with a 5% off code, good until tomorrow, because I'm getting ready to order a bunch of steel cut. Figure three weeks turn around.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Still at the range right now. Will chime in this afternoon with a 5% off code, good until tomorrow, because I'm getting ready to order a bunch of steel cut. Figure three weeks turn around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you can but unless you buy a full 4x8 sheet of it you will not be close to MOA's prices also if not cut properly you will lose the heat treat all around the edge

Which is negligible.
People make a big deal about it still.

Now Smiley has no excuse!
He got a special snowflake coupon!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Take a look at MGM Targets.  https://mgmtargets.com/  Sorry my crappy phone won't let me hotlink.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#19]
... support our site sponsors, I do
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Which is negligible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is negligible.

I really don't do I?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, I got some questions for you.

Another WA guy I was shooting with yesterday might be in the market for some targets too, so I'll link him this thread.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#22]
JC Steel
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Cool!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have some waterjet AR500 targets. A relative of mine runs a big fab shop and gave me some. They cut targets for quite a few people.

Cool!

They will do whatever customers want, but they don't market products for sale. Just services.

But they order in sheets of steel, and will sit down with you and design anything you want on their program, and run it on their waterjet. We have by far the biggest customer file full of waterjet drawings, we build a lot of shit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#24]
MOA Targets.

I need to order from them too.

Hey, RockMan, what if what you sell would hold up to 8mm Mauser that might be Yugoslavian shit that sticks to magnets
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Another WA guy I was shooting with yesterday might be in the market for some targets too, so I'll link him this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask away, I'll answer. May be bullshit, but I'll answer. Working on a prototype right now.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask away, I'll answer. May be bullshit, but I'll answer. Working on a prototype right now.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

MOA Targets.

Hey, RockMan, what if what you sell would hold up to 8mm Mauser that might be Yugoslavian shit that sticks to magnets
View Quote
I don't recommend it, shooting steel at steel is no bueno.  If you insist, don't break any other recommendations like distance and angle. Haven't tested specifically because i don't recommend it, but at 200 yards 3/8 should be fine.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't recommend it, shooting steel at steel is no bueno.  If you insist, don't break any other recommendations like distance and angle. Haven't tested specifically because i don't recommend it, but at 200 yards 3/8 should be fine.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MOA Targets.

Might stick to paper and water jugs with the wooden lady then, keep steel limited to the 6.8. Thought you had said similar things at East last year, but you also picked up random rocks in the road and started talking gobbledygook I couldn't understand
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Targetman
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Not Larue's, apparently were not responsible enough to own those.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you like Gladiator movies?

What's the weight like on the full size ISPC?

Do you think having holes is necessary if the plan is to use your mounting bracket?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Not sure if it's been said yet, but

MOA Targets
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I come barf at your range? It's cathartic.

ETA - you said to ask questions
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#34]
MOA is all I will buy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I hate MOA. Every time I think I have my order together I find something else on the site to budget for. First I just wanted some .22 rack plates, then I wanted to add a pop quiz. Now I'm putting in a 10 foot shooting tower and thinking about some 300 yard rifle steel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I shoot 3/8 steel from inside 25 yards with magnetic rifle bullets all day long. No issues.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Do you think having holes is necessary if the plan is to use your mounting bracket?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

32 lbs in 1/4" AR400, 48 lbs in 3/8" AR500, 74 lbs in 1/4" AR500, and 96 lbs in 1" AR500, all standard materials for MOA.

No, and I make a super over kill version of the universal bracket for the full size IPSC, basically a triple version.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Can I come barf at your range? It's cathartic.

ETA - you said to ask questions
View Quote
Me casa es su casa.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I use Shootsteel.com , cool guys working there
View Quote
Local guys here. Good Stuff.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Get a mini-mo from MOA. We were shooting those at Texas this year, good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Warning: MOA sends dick pics.  

...at least they did to me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Get a mini-mo from MOA. We were shooting those at Texas this year, good stuff.
View Quote
Also shot them at CWWII, and it's rumored they're going to be a feature at future CW events.

Prototype shooting today.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Mitch at MOA fosho. Just don't get them shipped to work
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes

32 lbs in 1/4" AR400, 48 lbs in 3/8" AR500, 74 lbs in 1/4" AR500, and 96 lbs in 1" AR500, all standard materials for MOA.

No, and I make a super over kill version of the universal bracket for the full size IPSC, basically a triple version.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

That's not too bad. Would probably still need to lash it up to an Alice pack frame and ruck it to the spot.

At 200-300 yards what thickness would you recommend for 5.56/7.62x39?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
That's not too bad. Would probably still need to lash it up to an Alice pack frame and ruck it to the spot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

At 300m, you can go with 1/4" with 556, haven't specifically tested 7.62x39 yet. Closer than 300 you need to use 3/8".

Your code is

SMILEY5

You must be logged into www.moatargets.com to use the code, you enter it in the shopping cart, not at checkout. Should be good for 5% on most stuff on the site. Because it's generally already pretty cheap, it shouldn't (if I set it right) work in the Your First Steel Targets category or Package Deals.

Code should work through tomorrow.

PS- Smiley is why I made the code, but it's open for anyone to use. Please let me know if it's not working right. I really am a geologist, not a computer nerd.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
At 300m, you can go with 1/4" with 556, haven't specifically tested 7.62x39 yet. Closer than 300 you need to use 3/8".  

Your code is

SMILEY5

You must be logged into www.moatargets.com to use the code, you enter it in the shopping cart, not at checkout. Should be good for 5% on most stuff on the site. Because it's generally already pretty cheap, it shouldn't (if I set it right) work in the Your First Steel Targets category or Package Deals.

PS- Smiley is why I made the code, but it's open for anyone to use. Please let me know if it's not working right. I really am a geologist, not a computer nerd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Your code is

SMILEY5

Oh, shit. You really did make a code That's fuckin awesome, thanks man

3/8 it is then.

I'll go pester my fellow WA teener to order too.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Oh, shit. You really did make a code That's fuckin awesome, thanks man

3/8 it is then.

I'll go pester my fellow WA teener to order too.

View Quote

For your purposes, you might look at the long range starter kits I have, and get an IPSC later. IPSCs are expensive to ship, the package deals are free shipping. Your code (shouldn't) work on the package deals though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yup yup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MOA targets.

Yup

Yup yup.

Mmmmhmmm
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I got an IDPA silhouette with a hostage swinger and a steel base from Western Targets, and I also got a mess of smaller, thinner plates from a guy on Facebook for a killer deal that I use for handguns and rimfire. It all depends on what your use is as to which plates you buy. Get them wherever they're cheapest.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top